Screen Reccomendations - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 09-20-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 872
I found that leaving the paint coat dry/sit overnight can help it stick a bit better and leaving the final coat using the mix dry/sit for a week before touching/rubbing the screen's surface too much can also help it become a bit more durable.
I've been able to try rolling and spraying many different mixes and paints onto TWH, and they all seem to start really scary (hold it too tight and dry paint comes off at your fingertips), but they become much better/stronger over time..and extra time between the coats helps too, when possible..so your wait can count as some extra blessing.

An added bonus, the metallic mix with that PPG gets harder/tougher than some other paints after sitting for a few days..so that can help too despite the paint wanting to practically fall off at first.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-20-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 09-20-2017, 04:38 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Paint with Polyurethane in it dries the hardest and retains it's "tack" under abuse better than any paint without.

Added translucency is not the only benefit Polyurethane affords...and on every Screen made from TWH it was an added advantage.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #33 of 40 Old 09-20-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 872
^^^ I noticed poly mixes starting off quite wimpy and becoming much more sturdy over a few days, but they didn't seem to hold up to abuse markedly better than some mixes without poly.
It didn't hold up worse either..just not a noticeable amount better than metallic mixes I tried without.
I still like how poly in large amounts helps some sprayed mixes through the sprayer though.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 09-26-2017, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Sunday I was able to finish up the screen. I realized very quickly how difficult it was to cut that tile board, but I found a technique that actually turned out to work really well.

The board is very flexible so I put it on the ground face up (since I already painted the primer on the screen, which scratches off with ease), and then set a straight edge where I wanted to cut the board and scored it over and over again. If you are very careful with your utility knife, you will end up with a very clean edge that can be cleaned up with a little light sanding on the side afterwords.

I then wrapped the frame and back side of the screen with velcro (overkill really), and simply set the frame on the screen (I sanded the back a bit to help the velcro stick), picked it up, and put in on the wall with a french cleat. I have no doubt it will hold.

I then wrapped the frame with LED lights (adjustable colors) facing the wall.

I painted the final layer with the recommended ratio (Thanks for that!!), which at first looked terrible, but once it dried, I couldn't be happier with the result. The picture is just with the primer (Ignore the white spots!)

I now have a border-less screen that looks nothing short of amazing. It isn't awesome with a lot of daylight, but you can see it better than when I started.

Check out the pics!

All in all, I spent under $150, which was a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but I am incredibly happy. The pictures show that the screen bleeds onto the wall a bit but i fixed that by bringing the bottom a little bit off the wall.

Now to get rid of all my wires....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200w_d.gif
Views:	35
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	2288632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170923_120856.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	2288634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170923_190447.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2288636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170924_113742.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2288638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170924_122513.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2288640  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170924_214909.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2288642  
Ftoast likes this.
post #35 of 40 Old 10-26-2017, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Does anyone have recommendations for a bullet proof (functionally, not literally) motorized screen, tensioned or otherwise. Something that people have had for years, no wrinkles. Even non motorized would be ok, but I have read being pulled can tend to because of wrinkles.

I'm in Australia, so it doesn't get that cold or hot (maybe 104F/40C) max, if that has an effect. I been browsing threads and see a bit that there are issues with the elite screens for some, but there are brand out there I can find little on here or anywhere, like Dalite, Grandview, cyber series.
post #36 of 40 Old 10-28-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
@MOberhardt , you are probably not getting responses here because this is the DIY screen section and not specifically for manufactured screens. While I've never owned a Stewart Filmscreen product everything I've read suggests that one of their screens would be most likely to resist waves. Stewart screens are expensive because they are so well designed and produced.

Obviously a fixed screen is the best solution for anyone who is sensitive to screen waves. Have you exhausted all possibilities of using a fixed screen in your room environment? Some have put fixed screens on sliding rails or hinged them to move them out of the way when not in use. But of course making a large fixed screen totally disappear when not in use would require some creativity. For example, if it's simply a matter of the wife not wanting a big, ugly screen hanging on the wall it would be possible to draw nice looking curtains over it and when not in use it would look like a covered window.
MOberhardt likes this.
post #37 of 40 Old 10-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@MOberhardt , you are probably not getting responses here because this is the DIY screen section and not specifically for manufactured screens. While I've never owned a Stewart Filmscreen product everything I've read suggests that one of their screens would be most likely to resist waves. Stewart screens are expensive because they are so well designed and produced.

Obviously a fixed screen is the best solution for anyone who is sensitive to screen waves. Have you exhausted all possibilities of using a fixed screen in your room environment? Some have put fixed screens on sliding rails or hinged them to move them out of the way when not in use. But of course making a large fixed screen totally disappear when not in use would require some creativity. For example, if it's simply a matter of the wife not wanting a big, ugly screen hanging on the wall it would be possible to draw nice looking curtains over it and when not in use it would look like a covered window.
My screen will be in front of the window. I was thinking about building a hinged lift system for it with gas lift struts. Someone suggested it might say that way as well.

I would prefer fixed.
post #38 of 40 Old 10-28-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3557 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
My screen will be in front of the window. I was thinking about building a hinged lift system for it with gas lift struts. Someone suggested it might say that way as well.

I would prefer fixed.
There have been similar DIY solutions like that discussed over the years here. Some have hinged the fixed screen and used pulleys and ropesto pull it up out of the way. Some have used tracks on the wall to slide the fixed screen to the side of a window when not in use. Gas lift struts sound pretty cool.
MOberhardt likes this.
post #39 of 40 Old 10-28-2017, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
There have been similar DIY solutions like that discussed over the years here. Some have hinged the fixed screen and used pulleys and ropesto pull it up out of the way. Some have used tracks on the wall to slide the fixed screen to the side of a window when not in use. Gas lift struts sound pretty cool.
Cheers. I might give the idea a go. The electric screens sounds like a nice simple out of the box solution though. I guess I could try one, and if it wrinkles after several years I guess I could just get another
post #40 of 40 Old 10-30-2017, 03:31 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Cheers. I might give the idea a go. The electric screens sounds like a nice simple out of the box solution though. I guess I could try one, and if it wrinkles after several years I guess I could just get another
That is not a given....Stewart screens get waves too....and they cost too much to take unnecessary risks.

On the other hand, getting a Screen that specifically is intended by design to "prevent" waves (Tab Tensioned) and so being decreases such a possibility is the only real choice if such concerns really govern the choice-making, and a fixed screen seems to not be a viable choice..
That said, there are less expensive Tab Tensioned screens to be had that offer at least a better chance of getting what one wants.

However it should be noted that a discussion that pertains to what Make/Model Mfg Screen to consider should be over on the Screens Forum, as it is decidedly "Off Topic" here. Just sayin'...not fussin' though.
MOberhardt likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page