• 2 Post By bud16415
  • 1 Post By William L Carman

post #1 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Question A question.

Has anyone here come up with a screen that does black well enough that would allow you to just project any size image
using your zoom lens? This would seem to me to be the ideal, not having to worry about aspect ratios or masking. Or is this too much to realistically hope for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 08:04 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
It's called "Paintin' the entire Wall w/Silver Fire 6.0"

Border-less...Multi-Format...Ambient Light Resistant. A lot to love...not much to hate.

I have several fairly recent Threads that document to making of some very sizable Painted Screen Walls w/ C.I.H. and Multi-Format in mind, as well as the end results...with variations on the theme to suit the varied Room / PJ combos.

Just ask CMRA, another "AVS Old Timer" in San Diego. He has a couple (Fixed and Retractable)

However, a Major player in this game is the Projector and it's attributes,

Never send a boy.........

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 885
James of AZ had some really dark-colored versions of his mix (particularly one that looked fantastically dark despite its daylight garage location).
I think his main Black Pearl mix isn't very gain-boosted, but that also makes it more forgiving of small surface imperfections and painting mistakes while mattering little with a bright enough projector+screen-size combination.

I've had a couple different mixes (both threads links below my posts) which kept a very dark-colored appearance in rooms with some light while still keeping peak-brightness of the image much higher than a plain black or dark-grey of the same color...one sprayed and the other a trickier rolled-on mix. Others have used both of these successfully as well as created their own after deciding what they want to use.

Paint in general can be super flexible for making your own mix, but it'll be helpful to know what projector/s you're looking at using as well as the largest screen-size you'll be using (or the projector's throw-distance and your seating-distance).
Will you be rolling paint or is spraying an option?
Is the surface very smooth, or are you willing to try to make it really smooth with a bit of instruction?

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 10-09-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-10-2018, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
@William L Carman
I use the method of presentation you suggest.

Many commercial theaters no longer use masking as well. It is partly about having a projector with good black levels, (being able to stop most of the light when doing black) having a dark appearing screen and lastly conditioning yourself to when is good enough.

My screen is a total wall painted a .5 gain neutral gray. For years I messed around with 2way masking and then adopted a zooming method of presentation and started playing with 4way masking. Always thinking about wouldn’t it be nice to do what you suggest.

Last year I got a new dark chip 3 DLP projector that has a decent black level and enough lumens to do a CIH+IMAX size screen at 110” on my gray wall. I had family over for a showing of Dunkirk a movie with changing AR’s that is imposable to mask for. After the movie I quizzed everyone about the movie and if they liked the expanding IMAX parts and if they were bothered by the black bars during the scope parts. No one noticed any of this. Not even that the movie was changing between scope and IMAX constantly. To be honest I didn’t even notice 75% of the changes because the movie was so good and the viewing was quite immersive. I had to actually replay a couple parts to prove to people it happened.

This got me thinking and that 99% of the world is conditioned to not care or pay attention to what goes on outside the image as they are focused on the movie. It is just those of us that think about this stuff way to much that get bothered, and actually it ruins the movie for us to some extent.

I went cold turkey and said what ever faint black bars I’m seeing will go away when I quit worrying about them and they did. It is very freeing to just zoom too the size that seems right for the content I’m watching and for the most part I follow CIH+IMAX but I make exceptions for Academy AR movies and some of the new prestige streaming TV. I still watch DVD content even and due to PQ I run it slightly smaller sometimes.
howietawny and xpostal like this.

Bud
post #5 of 7 Old 10-10-2018, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thanks for your interesting replies. I appreciate them.

I am especially interested in bud16415’s reply. I have been using an 86” wide 2.40:1 home made screen in my very small one man theater in my mobile home. (My wife prefers watching in our more comfortable living room.) Theprojector is an almost five year old Epson 5030UB. I recently jury rigged home-made side panels for masking the screen to 1.85:1. My small home theater room is only ten foot by eleven painted black, and being my “man cave” has to hold most of my toys. My computer, my separate stereo system, and of course, my 4.1 surround system plus my music @ video collections. (Yes. It Is a little crowded, but it works for me.)

Rolled up in my closet I still have a larger, 1.78:1 matte white Draper screen I used to use. I love to experiment! I think I’ll bring that screen back out and just tack it up over the existing one and try it out. I really like the idea of not having to stick to any one aspect ratio. (That’s my main objection to flat screen tv’s. You’re stuck with one size!). I also have a 49” Sony 4K set in there, but I just have to sit too close to it!

Thanks again to all of you for your replies. I’m an eighty year old retiree and music listening and movie watching are my main hobby’s. I hope you all get as much pleasure out of our hobby as I do.
howietawny likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-10-2018, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2164 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post
Thanks for your interesting replies. I appreciate them.

I am especially interested in bud16415’s reply.
It is a great hobby for sure and all ages can enjoy it for sure.

You might be interested in a couple threads I started.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/117-2...h-ciw-cia.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...on-method.html

Keep in mind there are no hard and fast rules. Do what makes you happy and what you can afford.

Bud
post #7 of 7 Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3830 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
@William L Carman , your 5030UB has good black level performance so the areas of the screen that aren't illuminated by the image will at least be a fairly dark shade of grey. Projectors with worse black levels than the 5030UB will produce lighter, more noticeably annoying grey bars on unused portions of the screen.

When we old-timers were kids we were spoiled by the fact that the commercial movie theaters had dark masking curtains and all the movies were projected at constant image height (CIH) with the curtains being drawn or opened to accommodate the different aspect ratios of various films. Most modern theaters don't bother to mask so most younger folks haven't experienced movies on masked screens and are used to seeing movies with different aspect ratios on a fixed screen with no curtains. When I first started using a 16:9 home video screen I was a little annoyed at the grey bars when viewing an old 4:3 film or widescreen scope movie. But over time I've adjusted and learned to tune out the grey bars. It helped when I went to a Sony HW45ES with good native black levels that made the grey bars darker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page