StudioTek 130 G3 diy alternatives? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ftoast
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 4 Old 10-23-2018, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
StudioTek 130 G3 diy alternatives?

Just purchased an Epson 3700 and I’m using it in a large living room. Even with ambient light, it can get as bright as my old tv. I need a really wide viewing angle, so I don’t want an alr screen. It looks pretty good on the wall, except for the texture. I have heard that the studiotek 130 g3 is a great choice for most people’s needs. What’s the closest diy option to it?

I have a Carl’s sample pack and so far, I prefer the white samples.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-23-2018, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
I think their more expensive Ultra-White was mentioned to have a slight gain advantage over FlexiWhite despite only claiming to be 1.0gain, so I'd suggest checking out a sample of that next to your FlexiWhite sample if you haven't already.
Their pro-white is also gain-boosted higher than FlexiWhite, but it's not as smooth so you'll have to try it near the middle of your projected image with some bright colors or white projecting onto it to see if its texture is visible from your seating-distance.
yakapo likes this.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #3 of 4 Old 10-23-2018, 10:56 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
The Flexi White will do right by ya.....no need to do much checking, if indeed any.

Absolutely avoid the Pro-White. The difference between the Ultra White and Flexi White is inconsequential.
yakapo likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-23-2018, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The Flexi White will do right by ya.....no need to do much checking, if indeed any.

Absolutely avoid the Pro-White. The difference between the Ultra White and Flexi White is inconsequential.
Much obliged!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page