Need some help deciding on what material to use...Cheap 100-110"screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-23-2018, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Need some help deciding on what material to use...Cheap 100-110"screen

Hello,

I finally bought a projector. This will be my first one Ht1070. My room dimensions are L147"xH120xW115" . Walls are white and so is the ceiling. The best thing I could do for ambient light would be to place some dark curtains on some parts of the wall. The only light sources available are a window that will be always closed and will have blackout curtains, and a ceiling light. The projector will be placed some 130" something inches from the screen and it will be wall mounted.

My initial Idea was to buy or build a 120" screen, but I did buy a cheap ($15) screen 120" from amazon to test. That size is simply too big for my setting position, now my target is 100-110" no sure on specific size yet.

The plan is to build a screen, IM not very good with paint but if necessary or down the line im willing to give painting a try. One of my main goals is to maximize the value of what im buying. The current choices that I have are

Carls Blackout Cloth
Carls FlexiWhite
Carls FlexiGrey
Joann Blackout Cloth

Now would It be better to spend almost double on FlexiWhite or FlexiGrey or will blackout cloth be enough on my situation? If any what paint would benefit me the most and what material.
Again I would like to get the most for my money and not spend a lot. I still have to buy some tools.

Another option would be to go with Elite Yardmaster 2 screen and simply not use the legs and mount the frame to the wall. That one is currently on amazon for $150.

What would you suggest I do in this case?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-23-2018, 02:12 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3726 Post(s)
Liked: 1719
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Your room's ceiling alone would dictate that Flexi-Grey would be the best Mfg Screen Cloth to consider....at your budgetary price point.

All in all, you'd not be spending much...certainly less than the Yard Master, even if you must spend to build a Frame.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 20 Old 11-23-2018, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3792 Post(s)
Liked: 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirParzival View Post
… My initial Idea was to buy or build a 120" screen, but I did buy a cheap ($15) screen 120" from amazon to test. That size is simply too big for my setting position, now my target is 100-110" no sure on specific size yet. ...
Some who are new to video projection think the image is too big at first but after getting used to it find that it doesn't seem too big after all. Of course this varies from person to person and may not apply to you. But since you already have a cheap 120" screen to experiment with, why not try living with it for awhile before spending more money on a smaller screen. With your 120" screen you can even use the projector's zoom lens to reduce the image size to 110" and 100". After a week or two of viewing at different image sizes you will find your own sweet spot and not have to guess what size to order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-24-2018, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Your room's ceiling alone would dictate that Flexi-Grey would be the best Mfg Screen Cloth to consider....at your budgetary price point.

All in all, you'd not be spending much...certainly less than the Yard Master, even if you must spend to build a Frame.
What if i drape some dark courtains on the walls? Will flexigrey provide good colors or will the screen be to dark? Can flexigrey be painted in the future for better performance?
post #5 of 20 Old 11-24-2018, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Quote:
… My initial Idea was to buy or build a 120" screen, but I did buy a cheap ($15) screen 120" from amazon to test. That size is simply too big for my setting position, now my target is 100-110" no sure on specific size yet. ...
Some who are new to video projection think the image is too big at first but after getting used to it find that it doesn't seem too big after all. Of course this varies from person to person and may not apply to you. But since you already have a cheap 120" screen to experiment with, why not try living with it for awhile before spending more money on a smaller screen. With your 120" screen you can even use the projector's zoom lens to reduce the image size to 110" and 100". After a week or two of viewing at different image sizes you will find your own sweet spot and not have to guess what size to order. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I put the 120" up and when i say its simply to big, I mean part of the screen gets cut off on my viewing area. I would love to have that size but its not posible. 110" might be the limit, i think i might end up with 106".
post #6 of 20 Old 11-24-2018, 10:59 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
What if i drape some dark curtains on the walls? Will flexigrey provide good colors or will the screen be to dark? Can flexigrey be painted in the future for better performance?

Reducing reflections off the Walls will certainly help, especially if the adjoining walls to the right & left are in close proximity to the right and left edges of the screen...which they appear to be since you state that your Room's width is 115"(9'-8"). It is those side walls closest to the Screen wall that will affect your image to most, more if you put up a 96" x 5" (110" diag) Screen...but less if you do a 87" x 49" (100" diag) Screen)

I see you state you have a 10' high ceiling, so in truth, that will not create any issues...at least none severe enough to warrant painting the Ceiling out. Yes...when you watch bright content, the Ceiling will light up considerably....and be quite noticeable if the Walls to each side have been drastically muted with coverings. But with almost at least 4' spacing between the top of the screen and the Ceiling, reflections that would decrease perceived Contrast and "grey-out"Blacks....or dull Colors should be at a very low minimum.

If you opt for a 100" screen with a 1070, your going to have lots of lumen to splash onto a screen. The Flexi-Gray will NOT be too dark, and it's "gray-ness" will serve to further reduce any ill effect that come from reflections from above...or elsewhere.

Here are the two optimal Throw Distances to use with your HT1070. (Lens Face to Screen surface)

110" diag Screen 9'-6"

100" diag. Screen 8'-7"

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #7 of 20 Old 11-24-2018, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
What if i drape some dark curtains on the walls? Will flexigrey provide good colors or will the screen be to dark? Can flexigrey be painted in the future for better performance?

Reducing reflections off the Walls will certainly help, especially if the adjoining walls to the right & left are in close proximity to the right and left edges of the screen...which they appear to be since you state that your Room's width is 115"(9'-8"). It is those side walls closest to the Screen wall that will affect your image to most, more if you put up a 96" x 5" (110" diag) Screen...but less if you do a 87" x 49" (100" diag) Screen)

I see you state you have a 10' high ceiling, so in truth, that will not create any issues...at least none severe enough to warrant painting the Ceiling out. Yes...when you watch bright content, the Ceiling will light up considerably....and be quite noticeable if the Walls to each side have been drastically muted with coverings. But with almost at least 4' spacing between the top of the screen and the Ceiling, reflections that would decrease perceived Contrast and "grey-out"Blacks....or dull Colors should be at a very low minimum.

If you opt for a 100" screen with a 1070, your going to have lots of lumen to splash onto a screen. The Flexi-Gray will NOT be too dark, and it's "gray-ness" will serve to further reduce any ill effect that come from reflections from above...or elsewhere.

Here are the two optimal Throw Distances to use with your HT1070. (Lens Face to Screen surface)

110" diag Screen 9'-6"

100" diag. Screen 8'-7"
Thanks for the information. Say i go ahead a build a 106" screen and i place the projector further back. Will the zoom affect me to much?

I will go with flexigrey, what If i were to paint my walls a neutral grey, would that help and eliminate the need for courtains?

My ceiling is much higher i gave a 120" measure but its about 12-14' tall.

Regarding the screen, I want to build a borderless screen. The wall behind the screen will be covered by black courtains. What dimensions would i need for such frame.

What do you think about Elite Screens Designer
CineGrey 3d when compared to flexigrey also CineWhite. They are both available on amazon for similar prices

Thanks for thelp.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-24-2018, 05:06 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Some like the CineGrey 3d, but I have read more negative about it than positive. As far as trying to use it to build a Edgless Screen I would STRONGLY advise against it or the CineWhite.

For the DIY'er, almost nothing else is as easy to work with than Flexi-

Yes...if you paint the walls a darker Neutral Grey, or even color match the Walls to the Screen material (...that is what I would do...and that would help out a lot...but if your Walls are 12' high+...that's a LOT of wall space to Roll out! All in all you'll spend more to paint that room than you will to build the Screen.

If you do paint the Walls,be sure to use a good, Flat Interior Enamel (...or Primer-Paint combo) DO NOT USE A CHEAP Flat Latex !!!!! )

I'd simply paint the Rear Wall the same dark Grey as the other Walls. In the Dark, the Screen wall will essentially disappear if the rest of the room is also non-reflective.

post #9 of 20 Old 11-24-2018, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Some like the CineGrey 3d, but I have read more negative about it than positive. As far as trying to use it to build a Edgless Screen I would STRONGLY advise against it or the CineWhite.

For the DIY'er, almost nothing else is as easy to work with than Flexi-

Yes...if you paint the walls a darker Neutral Grey, or even color match the Walls to the Screen material (...that is what I would do...and that would help out a lot...but if your Walls are 12' high+...that's a LOT of wall space to Roll out! All in all you'll spend more to paint that room than you will to build the Screen.

If you do paint the Walls,be sure to use a good, Flat Interior Enamel (...or Primer-Paint combo) DO NOT USE A CHEAP Flat Latex !!!!! )

I'd simply paint the Rear Wall the same dark Grey as the other Walls. In the Dark, the Screen wall will essentially disappear if the rest of the room is also non-reflective.
Thanks I will keep that in mind. If i build the frame ( not flat) the support beams are place on the edge facing the screen or away from it?
post #10 of 20 Old 11-24-2018, 06:42 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Thanks I will keep that in mind. If i build the frame ( not flat) the support beams are place on the edge facing the screen or away from it?

Much depends upon the size of the Screen, and what width of 1x you use. Larger screens really need 1x4s for the exterior Frame

Using 1x4 on edge for the exterior Frame, you can place 1x3s "edge out" but with the rear of them flush to the back of the Frame. If you use 1x3s on edge for a Frame, you can use 1x3s or 1x4s "Flat" and flush to the Rear. How many interior Supports you use should be weighed against how wide the Screen itself is.

The primary goal being to never let the forward leading edge of the supports touch the screen material.

post #11 of 20 Old 11-24-2018, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Much depends upon the size of the Screen, and what width of 1x you use. Larger screens really need 1x4s for the exterior Frame

Using 1x4 on edge for the exterior Frame, you can place 1x3s "edge out" but with the rear of them flush to the back of the Frame. If you use 1x3s on edge for a Frame, you can use 1x3s or 1x4s "Flat" and flush to the Rear. How many interior Supports you use should be weighed against how wide the Screen itself is.

The primary goal being to never let the forward leading edge of the supports touch the screen material.
Ok thanks. Thats was one of my biggest concerns. I get it now. The screen will be 106" hopefully. I will be using 1x4 for the edge and 3-4 1x3 for support.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-25-2018, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am doing the same thing as SirParzival except I have already painted the walls a dark gray but the ceiling is white and are the standard 8 feet high. Would you recommend the Flexigrey?

Not sure this will affect your answer, but the room is fully light controlled (batcave) and the projector is the Short Throw BenQ HT2150ST (2200 Lumens).

Thank You and sorry if this qualifies as highjacking the thread. If it is, I'll delete and create my own thread.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-25-2018, 03:33 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaGrin View Post
I am doing the same thing as SirParzival except I have already painted the walls a dark gray but the ceiling is white and are the standard 8 feet high. Would you recommend the Flexigrey?

Not sure this will affect your answer, but the room is fully light controlled (batcave) and the projector is the Short Throw BenQ HT2150ST (2200 Lumens).

Thank You and sorry if this qualifies as highjacking the thread. If it is, I'll delete and create my own thread.
Yes....the Flexi-Grey will help out to it's best degree....certainly a lot more than any white surface. Set the screen as low to the floor as reasonable so as to increase the distance between the White Ceiling and the Screen.

Any reason the Ceiling cannot be painted with at least a lighter shade of Grey than the Walls? Any attenuation of light by a light Grey will be a significant improvement over the White Ceiling, and doing so would let you mount the Screen higher as well.

By all means though...do author a Thread dedicated to your Choices, efforts, and end results. There will be those who will benefit from it, I'm sure!

post #14 of 20 Old 11-25-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Yes....the Flexi-Grey will help out to it's best degree....certainly a lot more than any white surface. Set the screen as low to the floor as reasonable so as to increase the distance between the White Ceiling and the Screen.

Any reason the Ceiling cannot be painted with at least a lighter shade of Grey than the Walls? Any attenuation of light by a light Grey will be a significant improvement over the White Ceiling, and doing so would let you mount the Screen higher as well.

By all means though...do author a Thread dedicated to your Choices, efforts, and end results. There will be those who will benefit from it, I'm sure!
Thank You!

I was wondering if you could think of any CLR type product under $100 or so (prebuilt screeen, DIY screen material, paint, so on) that would attenuate the affects of the white ceiling? I ask because RaceCarDriver posted a video (in the thread "Best ALR Screen for my environment") for Black Diamond screen from Screen Innovations and on their website they have a Short Throw screen that rejects ambient (reflected) light from above that looks perfect. But when I found a dealer and looked up the product... Holy %$#@ they are more expensive then the projector I want.

As for painting the ceiling, I had thought about it when I was painting the walls but at the time I hadn't realized the white would cause as much of a problem as I think it's going to, given the information I've picked up on these forums. The Significant Other hated the idea of paining the ceiling but I could have talked her into it at the time I was painting the walls. But at this point, everything has been put back into the room, the carpets have been cleaned and then there is "What about when we want to sell the house? no one wants a room with a Gray or black ceiling..." argument. Ya, not going to happen now

Thanks again for all your help!
post #15 of 20 Old 11-26-2018, 02:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
...they are more expensive then the projector I want.
Do you already have the projector now, or is the slightly cheaper standard-throw version an option?

For the ceiling, might you be able to get away with placing some dark-colored fabric at least for the first several feet nearest the screen? That can be quickly taken down if you move, and it can help a lot for absorbing reflections.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #16 of 20 Old 11-26-2018, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Do you already have the projector now, or is the slightly cheaper standard-throw version an option?

For the ceiling, might you be able to get away with placing some dark-colored fabric at least for the first several feet nearest the screen? That can be quickly taken down if you move, and it can help a lot for absorbing reflections.
I was thinking about doing this on my own ceiling at least covering 3 feet from the screen with some cheap black cloth.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-26-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

The projector is being shipped right now, should be here tomorrow. And while the room is about the same size as SirParzival's, the long axes has a door and closet, on one side, and a window on the other. I could put the screen over the window and use a standard throw projector, but I will need to be able to access the window. Reason being that I will be running two computers, a monitor and a projector in the room. In the past, one computer could heat the room up toasty, in just an few hours, while playing a high end game. I expect it to get hot enough that I actually intend to modify the window's blackout panel so that it has a round removable piece so I can route an air conditioner hose out thru it because it will likely get unbearable, in the spring and summer.

I thought about fabric on the ceiling, right after I posted yesterday. It's a good idea but will be tricky for me to pull off since the ceiling has that popcorn finish and I could damage it (make it look uglier then a popcorn finish already does). That was one of the main reasons I didn't paint it when I was painting the walls...wish I had found this forum before I had started this project.

I do have a sample pack of the Carl's Place screens coming (including the new Short Throw one) so I'll see if any of those help the situation and I will think about how I can attach something like black felt to the ceiling without messing it up too much.

Thanks!
post #18 of 20 Old 11-26-2018, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The projector is being shipped right now, should be here tomorrow. And while the room is about the same size as SirParzival's, the long axes has a door and closet, on one side, and a window on the other. I could put the screen over the window and use a standard throw projector, but I will need to be able to access the window. Reason being that I will be running two computers, a monitor and a projector in the room. In the past, one computer could heat the room up toasty, in just an few hours, while playing a high end game. I expect it to get hot enough that I actually intend to modify the window's blackout panel so that it has a round removable piece so I can route an air conditioner hose out thru it because it will likely get unbearable, in the spring and summer.

I thought about fabric on the ceiling, right after I posted yesterday. It's a good idea but will be tricky for me to pull off since the ceiling has that popcorn finish and I could damage it (make it look uglier then a popcorn finish already does). That was one of the main reasons I didn't paint it when I was painting the walls...wish I had found this forum before I had started this project.

I do have a sample pack of the Carl's Place screens coming (including the new Short Throw one) so I'll see if any of those help the situation and I will think about how I can attach something like black felt to the ceiling without messing it up too much.

Thanks!
Regarding covering the ceiling my idea is to buy some good velcro, get some cardboard or similar light material. Cover it up with cheap black cloth and attach it to the ceiling using said velcro.
You can even use some 3m double sided tape.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-26-2018, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quick Update, Today I bought the roll of Carls Flexigrey, single hole Kreg jig, and some other tools. Going to be buying my wood next week or so. Currently going to spend about $30 on wood in HD. Once I start making the screen I plan on posting it to a different thread while referencing this one. Thanks all of you for the help.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-27-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Quick Update, Today I bought the roll of Carls Flexigrey, single hole Kreg jig, and some other tools. Going to be buying my wood next week or so. Currently going to spend about $30 on wood in HD. Once I start making the screen I plan on posting it to a different thread while referencing this one. Thanks all of you for the help.
I look forward to it! Hope you don't mind me coping your design (Post Pics )

And sorry again for butting in on your thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page