Need advice for Screen set up - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I will address the "stand-off" Scaffold issue a bit later.......if the diagram above meets with your approval.
I have built the frame as per your design. Will a 8'x4' frame built with 2x4s in the middle of the front wall work for the scaffolding?

Speakers: Boston Acoustics VS260, VS325C
Subwoofers (sealed): Dayton UM18, 2x Infinity 1260 dual opposed + iNuke6000DSP
AVR: Yamaha RX-A2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-28-2019, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I will address the "stand-off" Scaffold issue a bit later.......if the diagram above meets with your approval.
I have built the frame as per your design. Will a 8'x4' frame built with 2x4s in the middle of the front wall work for the scaffolding?

post #33 of 39 Old 05-29-2019, 07:01 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuxs View Post

Well....anything supportive and tied into the Floor & Ceiling will work. However I would suggest something similar to the design I just put up on another Thread where the Poster wanted a "Centered AT Screen" with no tie-in to the side walls.

2x4s are a bit overkill, (...except for the Top & Bottom Plates as shown...) but of course they will work. The realissue being that they may tend to warp or twist later on as they continue to dry out because except for the Screen frame they will have little structural rigidity and support. 1x Lumber is less obtrusive. And of course you can again alter the shown dimensions to your own specific needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor to Ceiling Supportive Frame.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	2573054  

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 Old 05-29-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well....anything supportive and tied into the Floor & Ceiling will work. However I would suggest something similar to the design I just put up on another Thread where the Poster wanted a "Centered AT Screen" with no tie-in to the side walls.
thanks for this drawing. I might just tie the supporting frame to the side walls. I have carpet on the floor, so i'd rather not fasten the 2x4 to the floor. Would it be necessary to screw the top plate to the ceiling joists?

Also, what's a good way to attach the screen frame to the support structure you have drawn?

post #35 of 39 Old 05-29-2019, 05:51 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
thanks for this drawing. I might just tie the supporting frame to the side walls. I have carpet on the floor, so i'd rather not fasten the 2x4 to the floor. Would it be necessary to screw the top plate to the ceiling joists?

Also, what's a good way to attach the screen frame to the support structure you have drawn?

If you want a rigid, non-floppy screen the size we are talking about, it needs to be attached vertically. Otherwise, it must have Skid-like Feet that extend to the Rear to support the screen while upyop the Top Edge of the Frame must be at least attached to several Blocks spaced across the Ceiling. Horizontal Wall Tie-in would be great IF you were going to Cover the Right & Left Speakers, but even then some amount of vertically attached bracing must be considered mandatory. If the Screen is to be centered with no side structure,the method of support attachment must follow one or the other suggested methods.

You would attach the Screen Frame to the structure with bight Finish Head Nails sunk below the Velvet surface with a Nail set. Or from behind with multiple L-Brackets.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #36 of 39 Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you want a rigid, non-floppy screen the size we are talking about, it needs to be attached vertically. Otherwise, it must have Skid-like Feet that extend to the Rear to support the screen while upyop the Top Edge of the Frame must be at least attached to several Blocks spaced across the Ceiling. Horizontal Wall Tie-in would be great IF you were going to Cover the Right & Left Speakers, but even then some amount of vertically attached bracing must be considered mandatory. If the Screen is to be centered with no side structure,the method of support attachment must follow one or the other suggested methods.

You would attach the Screen Frame to the structure with bight Finish Head Nails sunk below the Velvet surface with a Nail set. Or from behind with multiple L-Brackets.
I finally opened the package from spandex world. The material looks beautiful. It seems heavier and more stretchy than I expected. My frame is 60x132, so I will probably be stretching the 60" wide material to 70 inches as I staple it on the frame. Is 10" of stretching adequate to prevent any sagging or wrinkles? Too bad I didn't look at the material before I built the frame; I would have built a wider frame had I examined the material earlier

post #37 of 39 Old 05-30-2019, 04:08 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
I finally opened the package from spandex world. The material looks beautiful. It seems heavier and more stretchy than I expected. My frame is 60x132, so I will probably be stretching the 60" wide material to 70 inches as I staple it on the frame. Is 10" of stretching adequate to prevent any sagging or wrinkles? Too bad I didn't look at the material before I built the frame; I would have built a wider frame had I examined the material earlier

Actually, building out beyond 60".... that would have been bad. The Spandex can stretch up to 15% safely....20% maximum. You should accurately measure the width of the Spandex to see if it is 58" or 60" then do the math.

58" stretched 15% = 8.7" 58" stretched 20% = 11.6"

60" stretched 15% = 9" 60" stretched 20% = 12"

There is not a huge variance between 58"-60" and the 15% - 20% values

There are far wider varieties of Spandex available.....out to 120" wide x whatever length is needed. Overstretching opens up the Weave and turns that great looking material into something that looks stressed and irregular.

post #38 of 39 Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Actually, building out beyond 60".... that would have been bad.
Thanks, that's reassuring. Will post some pictures after I get it done.

post #39 of 39 Old 06-06-2019, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I attached the spandex on the frame, the screen came out very nice. BUT it seems huge from my viewing distance of 10 feet. There was also a noticeable attenuation in volume from my speakers (from behind the screen). But I think my main issues is that 16:9 images at 60” tall is too big. I am planning to add some back felt to narrow it down to 54”. I might also place my L, R speakers in front of the screen and hang black curtains on either side. I still need to build a support frame to hang the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190605_135524414.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	2576840  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section