Need advice for Screen set up - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 12-04-2018, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Need advice for Screen set up

Hello folks,

I am new to this, and I would like some advice with setting up by pj screen: size, throw distance, aspect ratio, etc. I just ordered the BenQ HT1070A which is a very basic projector with only zoom adjustment. I plan to build a large AT spandex (white on black) screen; I would like to go as large as the room size, viewing considerations/content, and other variables permit. I would like to place the screen about 2 ft forward from the front wall to hide my subs, and place my center channel optimally. Viewing is going to be 70% Netflix TV shows and 30% bluray movies.

The following is my plan: mount the projector at the back of the room ~17 ft from the screen. Build a 145” (2.38:1; 134” X 56”) screen to take advantage of the full width of the screen for movies and readjust the zoom for 16:9 content.
Since I do not have the projector yet, I don’t know if the zoom in/out capabilities will allow that when mounted 17ft away. Another consideration is that if the soffit that runs across the width of my room would interfere with the path of the projection beam. I have attached drawing with my room dimensions. I am going to have a chance to play around once I get the projector, but I want to get this conversation started so I can experiment better.

Besides other things, I would like some input on:
• Optimal size for my screen.
• Whether to build a frame to mount the screen or just hang the screen (from the ceiling) 2 feet away from the front wall.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	2491442  

Speakers: Boston Acoustics VS260, VS325C
Subwoofers (sealed): Dayton UM18, 2x Infinity 1260 dual opposed + iNuke6000DSP
AVR: Yamaha RX-A2000

Last edited by madhuxs; 12-13-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-04-2018, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuxs View Post
Hello folks,

I am new to this, and I would like some advice with setting up by pj screen: size, throw distance, aspect ratio, etc. I just ordered the BenQ HT1070A which is a very basic projector with only zoom adjustment. I plan to build a large AT spandex (white on black) screen; I would like to go as large as the room size, viewing considerations/content, and other variables permit. I would like to place the screen about 2 ft forward from the front wall to hide my subs, and place my center channel optimally. Viewing is going to be 70% Netflix TV shows and 30% bluray movies.

The following is my plan: mount the projector at the back of the room ~17 ft from the screen. Build a 134” (2.38:1; 145” X 56”) screen to take advantage of the full width of the screen for movies and readjust the zoom for 16:9 content.
Since I do not have the projector yet, I don’t know if the zoom in/out capabilities will allow that when mounted 17ft away. Another consideration is that if the soffit that runs across the width of my room would interfere with the path of the projection beam. I have attached drawing with my room dimensions. I am going to have a chance to play around once I get the projector, but I want to get this conversation started so I can experiment better.

• Whether to build a frame to mount the screen or just hang the screen (from the ceiling) 2 feet away from the front wall.

Thanks in advance!
I am in the process of the setting up HT in my basement but do not have any soffit to work around. My basement size is 23x16X8 and was wondering what screen size make sense and can fit. I found this website which can help you visualize placement of the screen based on which I decided the optimal screen size. Your projector is not listed to choose from on this website, but you can pick one that is closest to get fair idea.

reviewtranslations.com/projection_calculator_en.html

Hopefully it helps.

Thanks,
Satish
post #3 of 39 Old 12-04-2018, 05:25 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Hello folks,

The following is my plan: mount the projector at the back of the room ~17 ft from the screen. Build a 134” (2.38:1; 145” X 56”) screen to take advantage of the full width of the screen for movies and readjust the zoom for 16:9 content.

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeejula View Post
I am in the process of the setting up HT in my basement but do not have any soffit to work around. My basement size is 23x16X8 and was wondering what screen size make sense and can fit. I found this website which can help you visualize placement of the screen based on which I decided the optimal screen size. Your projector is not listed to choose from on this website, but you can pick one that is closest to get fair idea.

Hopefully it helps.

Thanks,
Satish

Helpis on the way for you both....but just a bit later this PM.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 12-04-2018, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 874
I don't believe that projector has enough zoom-range to fit a 16:9 image into a 2.39:1 screen that it can fill, BUT a few folks have built ways to slide their entire projector+mount forward and backward to get the rest of the zoom-range needed (I remember at least a couple using drawer sliding rails). This also lets you make the closer position slightly lower if needed to keep the image at the right height despite the projector's lack of vertical lens-shift.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #5 of 39 Old 12-04-2018, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeejula View Post

Hopefully it helps.

Thanks,
Satish

Hi Satish-

The web tool you directed me to is wonderful! Thanks. I plugged in the specs for BenQ W1700 which I think (??) would be closer to my HT 1070A. I find that having to lower the projector mounting height to avoid the soffit getting in the way of the pj beam, I would be able to obtain a 120" - 16:9 image (with an acceptable height--1 ft --from the floor). I am not sure what would happens when I watch in 2.39:1--does the cinema scope image get wider maintaining the same height or does the height of image narrow to fit into the 16:9 width?

I'd rather not open the projector box (to avoid the restocking fee) until i get this all figured out.

post #6 of 39 Old 12-04-2018, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
I don't believe that projector has enough zoom-range to fit a 16:9 image into a 2.39:1 screen that it can fill, BUT a few folks have built ways to slide their entire projector+mount forward and backward to get the rest of the zoom-range needed (I remember at least a couple using drawer sliding rails). This also lets you make the closer position slightly lower if needed to keep the image at the right height despite the projector's lack of vertical lens-shift.

I plugged in my measurements into the reviewtranslations.com/projection_calculator. I set the room size to 17 ft (rather than 19 ft) because the subs and speakers will be placed behind the spandex screen that will be hung 2ft from the front wall. When I zoom in some, the 140" diagonal -- 2.35:1 image is about a foot above the floor. A 150" (2.35:1) image would come close to filling the front of the room so I am not sure if I can live with 132" image. Also, the bottom of the image will be 12" above the floor, is that considered too low?

PS: the projector is hung 16" from the ceiling height to avoid the soffit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Presentation1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	2491832  

post #7 of 39 Old 12-05-2018, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

12inches might be a little too low if you watch in a reclining chair with your feet up, but otherwise should be fine.

You could create a custom-sized/custom-aspect screen that's as wide as you want your 2.39 movies to be and as tall as you'd like you're 16:9 content to be. You could even build strong magnets into the front of the screen's frame to let you easily attach top+bottom masks or left+right masks if you decide to make them later.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #8 of 39 Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

screen for BenQ HT1070A

Quote:
12inches might be a little too low if you watch in a reclining chair with your feet up, but otherwise should be fine.

You could create a custom-sized/custom-aspect screen that's as wide as you want your 2.39 movies to be and as tall as you'd like you're 16:9 content to be. You could even build strong magnets into the front of the screen's frame to let you easily attach top+bottom masks or left+right masks if you decide to make them later.
Thanks for your input. Tell me if I am moving in the right direction.

Since I want to use a spandex screen, even if I want the image to fill my front wall, I am limited by the width of the spandex material. Apparently, the height can be stretched up to 60”. Right?
Just because I have a wall large enough to support a 145” screen, that size may not be ideal when considering the viewing angle/distance (12 ft in my case). Right?
[Sorry for trivial questions--I have no experience with projectors, and not time to do research on my own.]

Now my plan should be to build a 60” x 130” screen. Project a 16:9 -- 121” diagonal image at 1x zoom (to utilize the 60” height), then zoom in full at 1.2x to watch 2.4:1 movies. According to the projection calculator, 1.2x zoom should be able to produce a 137” image (53” x 127”) in the 2.4:1 ratio. If my understanding is correct, I will open the BenQ HT1070A and hook it up, otherwise I’ll return it and look at other projectors.

Please advise.

post #9 of 39 Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is a less stretchy version of spandex (mostly 2-way stretch, I think) that's available in much larger sizes than 60"-tall, but I think a 60"-tall screen sounds about perfect for a 12ft viewing-distance.
A 60"x127" should fit both sizes like you mentioned, but you'll probably have to mount the projector AFTER finding the exact location it'll need to be...The ~175inch lens-to-screen throw-distance that should work can have a solid +/- 5% or worse difference between units, so grabbing a ladder/chair, extension-cord and pencil should let you zoom to one extreme and then find the exact place you'll actually need to mount it and mark that spot before drilling any holes.

post #10 of 39 Old 12-07-2018, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hi Satish-

The web tool you directed me to is wonderful! Thanks. I plugged in the specs for BenQ W1700 which I think (??) would be closer to my HT 1070A. I find that having to lower the projector mounting height to avoid the soffit getting in the way of the pj beam, I would be able to obtain a 120" - 16:9 image (with an acceptable height--1 ft --from the floor). I am not sure what would happens when I watch in 2.39:1--does the cinema scope image get wider maintaining the same height or does the height of image narrow to fit into the 16:9 width?

I'd rather not open the projector box (to avoid the restocking fee) until i get this all figured out.
Even I am new to projectors/screen size.... so don't have an answer to your question regarding 2.39 content on 16:9 screen. But this forum has many experts and hopefully you get all the help needed from here.

Good Luck!!!
Satish
post #11 of 39 Old 12-07-2018, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There is a less stretchy version of spandex (mostly 2-way stretch, I think) that's available in much larger sizes than 60"-tall, but I think a 60"-tall screen sounds about perfect for a 12ft viewing-distance.
A 60"x127" should fit both sizes like you mentioned, but you'll probably have to mount the projector AFTER finding the exact location it'll need to be...The ~175inch lens-to-screen throw-distance that should work can have a solid +/- 5% or worse difference between units, so grabbing a ladder/chair, extension-cord and pencil should let you zoom to one extreme and then find the exact place you'll actually need to mount it and mark that spot before drilling any holes.
thanks for your comment.

How does the less stretchy, wider spandex compare with regular spandex in terms of sound transparency? I'd consider it if it blocks sound to a lesser extent than the regular spandex.

post #12 of 39 Old 12-08-2018, 06:35 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Hopefully better late than never.....

Quote:
thanks for your comment.

How does the less stretchy, wider spandex compare with regular spandex in terms of sound transparency? I'd consider it if it blocks sound to a lesser extent than the regular spandex.

I wouldn't suggest it, as it isn't "better than"and might be "less than" since I know of no definitive testing done on it such as the Milliskin has. Would it be noticeably worse? Doubtful...but gee whiz, think of all the wasted material and higher cost per yard. Really makes very little sense to consider.

You will have NO issues stretching it out to cover any frame for a 60" tall screen, so hold fast to the suggested material.

Also, you need to rethink your screen size / formatting. A 2.39:1 image at 130" diagonal is 50" high....so for a zoom-able situation that would fill 60" of screen height, the side-to-side width would need to be 143"*. That's far beyond what you want to consider for a HT 1070A. Really, for what your planning, your ceiling drop issues and all, it's not really suitable at all. If I did not venture back on this thread too late, absolutely you should consider a different PJ. If your stuck in the HT 1070A price range though, ya ain't got a lot to choose from. Personally I keel (know actually) you need more lumen output,more contrast, and more overall versatility. I suggest looking to the AVS Classifieds and grab up a used Epson 5040UB on a steal. That PJ will let you do things you cannot begin to accomplish with the HT 1070A

* choose the right PJ and the 'scope screen at just under 12' wide from a 12' viewing distance would be quite acceptable....engaging and immersive in fact!

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #13 of 39 Old 12-09-2018, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoiler!

I don't believe he's going for a standard CIH 2.39, but instead a unique aspect screen to allow the projector's limited zoom set as large as possible during 2.39 and as small as possible during 16:9...which is where the different height+width numbers are coming from.
His numbers look correct for all that..I think he's just asking for some extra eyes to doublecheck his math and plan.

The 5040 seemed to have a run or two suffering bad powersupplies or something along those lines where folks were popping in with complaints, so I'm not sure a second-hand one is going to be the safest of plans...though the automated lens-shift is pretty cool

post #14 of 39 Old 12-09-2018, 05:46 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:

I don't believe he's going for a standard CIH 2.39, but instead a unique aspect screen to allow the projector's limited zoom set as large as possible during 2.39 and as small as possible during 16:9...which is where the different height+width numbers are coming from.
His numbers look correct for all that..I think he's just asking for some extra eyes to doublecheck his math and plan.

The 5040 seemed to have a run or two suffering bad powersupplies or something along those lines where folks were popping in with complaints, so I'm not sure a second-hand one is going to be the safest of plans...though the automated lens-shift is pretty cool

On the first point, I realize that, and that is way I'm saying he needs to rethink his plans because the PJ chosen is wholly unsuited for such operation. The differences in the positioning of the images will be almost untenable without the proper amount (...and use availability...) of Lens shift, and the limited Zoom range is another almost insurmountable issue. Also,such a plan screams to high heaven for the need for substantial Masking....something that also seems out of place with such a low end PJ trying to produce larger imagery. That last point is also validated by the PJs lack of sufficient lumen output shooting such larger images (...the 16:9 image is still kinda a whopper...) onto a lower gain surface.

If a dynamic looking image on spandex is desired, things need to be reconsidered.

The 5040's supposed issues were highlighted on this Forum only because of two things....the availability and number of Member postings were far disproportionate to the sheer number sold, but the hue & cry just seems profuse...as it always does on this prolifically utilized Forum. In truth, the percentage of actual failures and returns of units sold were almost infinitesimally small compared to the number of complaints registered on this Forum. And...that was / is something that occurred with the initial Production run, quite a bit ago....so any more recent Units are pretty much exempt, and any older units that are still operating without issue are probably going to keep on keepin' on.

A used 5040 / 6040, or even a 4000series would be a much better suited choice.

post #15 of 39 Old 12-09-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree that lens-shift would make things easier, but because the zooming larger will be happening for shorter-height 2.39 content that means the larger image (while shifting vertically off-center) won't shift over the screen's top or bottom..so it won't need vertical lens-shift to fix the zoomed/unzoomed image.

You simply unzoom/shrink the projector image to decide the screen and projector's mounting heights, then zoom/enlarge the image to decide where the projector needs to be mounted horizontally to fit the 2.39 images without overspilling either side. It's a little more work to find the best mounting location, but it's not super hard and you'll only need to do it once.

I think the 1070a should be able to support 60"x107" 16:9 and 53"x127" 2.39 images within a 60"x127" screen with its limited zoom and shift.

I do agree because of spandex's low gain a brighter projector would be nicer at these sizes, but the only models that have much higher full-color brightness without losing a ton of contrast (mostly looking at the Epson 3100 or 3700) cost quite a lot more at around $1000-$1200. Something like the Benq ht2050 could give a smaller increase in full-color brightness along with more zoom and shift range for a much smaller price increase of around $600-$650, but it would be around 25% brighter while the Epson3100 would be about twice as bright.
All of the affordable DLPs claiming 2800lm-3500lm or more actually have weaker full-color brightness than the 1070a, and the more affordable LCD projectors measure at about 1/2 of the Benq's contrast or worse.

Without stretching the budget, a smaller screen-size with a slightly closer seating-distance might be a good option to consider.

post #16 of 39 Old 12-09-2018, 07:48 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

To me, it's all about suggesting what will be / work the best. Totally up to the individual to fudge if he needs to or wants to.

Cash outlay is always (mostly) a consideration, but when an application as mentioned here is being considered, it would be remiss to not recommend what would work best. As described initially,there are too many variables and compromises to suit me and allow me to get behind.

I've seen 5040's going for +/- $1000.00 on the AVS Classified, and at that price the 1070A is nothing but an afterthought. Between the E-Shift 4K option, stupid higher Contrast and appreciable brightness increase, crazy easier and more adaptive mounting considerations....it (5040) just brooks no argument except just not wanting to / being unable to ante up another $5-700.00

post #17 of 39 Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One of the better projector options within a ~$500 budget (though they're getting harder to find) is the ViewSonic Pro7827hd which has many of the features of the more expensive benq ht2050 (a bit of vertical lens-shift, I think 1.3:1 zoom, around 25% higher full-color brightness than the ht1070a and likely a slightly quieter fan too) and either it or the Vivitek similar model also has a button to switch between 2.39 at full-size and 16:9 at a CIH/smaller size. It's a software/scaling option rather than optical zoom, but it has a slightly larger optical zoom range too..so you can use whichever zoom option you prefer.

I doubt many new owners of the Epson5040 will already be selling their relatively new projector, so it'll be more likely to find older runs of the 5040 being sold used. Often because the original owner either found something they didn't care for with it or because they found a different model they liked better. And not many products transfer warranties when resold by individuals, so that might be something to doublecheck or see if you can get separately if needed/wanted. Did the previous owner smoke/vape? Will they be honest about its use/treatment?
Used projectors can be fun for people who can easily afford solutions for potential problems, but they can be a pretty big gamble for anyone stretching their budget to get one.

I think most people will recommend sticking to new (or factory refurbished with warranty) for a first-time buyer with a budget. Used is usually better left either to someone who has the money to spare and likely already owns a working PJ (which can function as a backup if things go poorly with the used model).
If you can get a comfortable warranty with a used 5040, then that helps a ton. You hopefully won't need it, but you'll certainly be glad it's there if you do.

post #18 of 39 Old 12-09-2018, 10:57 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

You obviously haven't followed the Classifieds.

Since late September there have been bunches as Owners were prepping for the New JVCs or switching to the 50-6000 series while they were discounted.

Also, few Forum sellers risk alienating other members by selling them a "Pig-n-the-Poke.

post #19 of 39 Old 12-11-2018, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great discussion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
On the first point, I realize that, and that is way I'm saying he needs to rethink his plans because the PJ chosen is wholly unsuited for such operation. The differences in the positioning of the images will be almost untenable without the proper amount (...and use availability...) of Lens shift, and the limited Zoom range is another almost insurmountable issue. Also,such a plan screams to high heaven for the need for substantial Masking....something that also seems out of place with such a low end PJ trying to produce larger imagery. That last point is also validated by the PJs lack of sufficient lumen output shooting such larger images (...the 16:9 image is still kinda a whopper...) onto a lower gain surface.

If a dynamic looking image on spandex is desired, things need to be reconsidered.
Quote:
I agree that lens-shift would make things easier, but because the zooming larger will be happening for shorter-height 2.39 content that means the larger image (while shifting vertically off-center) won't shift over the screen's top or bottom..so it won't need vertical lens-shift to fix the zoomed/unzoomed image.

You simply unzoom/shrink the projector image to decide the screen and projector's mounting heights, then zoom/enlarge the image to decide where the projector needs to be mounted horizontally to fit the 2.39 images without overspilling either side. It's a little more work to find the best mounting location, but it's not super hard and you'll only need to do it once.

I think the 1070a should be able to support 60"x107" 16:9 and 53"x127" 2.39 images within a 60"x127" screen with its limited zoom and shift.

I do agree because of spandex's low gain a brighter projector would be nicer at these sizes, but the only models that have much higher full-color brightness without losing a ton of contrast (mostly looking at the Epson 3100 or 3700) cost quite a lot more at around $1000-$1200. Something like the Benq ht2050 could give a smaller increase in full-color brightness along with more zoom and shift range for a much smaller price increase of around $600-$650, but it would be around 25% brighter while the Epson3100 would be about twice as bright.
All of the affordable DLPs claiming 2800lm-3500lm or more actually have weaker full-color brightness than the 1070a, and the more affordable LCD projectors measure at about 1/2 of the Benq's contrast or worse.

Without stretching the budget, a smaller screen-size with a slightly closer seating-distance might be a good option to consider.
Quote:
One of the better projector options within a ~$500 budget (though they're getting harder to find) is the ViewSonic Pro7827hd which has many of the features of the more expensive benq ht2050 (a bit of vertical lens-shift, I think 1.3:1 zoom, around 25% higher full-color brightness than the ht1070a and likely a slightly quieter fan too) and either it or the Vivitek similar model also has a button to switch between 2.39 at full-size and 16:9 at a CIH/smaller size. It's a software/scaling option rather than optical zoom, but it has a slightly larger optical zoom range too..so you can use whichever zoom option you prefer.

I will look at ViewSonic Pro7827hd or benq ht2050(A) if the 1070A can be returned easily. You say the 2050 will be about 25% brighter than 1070A, but the specs says 2200 ansi lumens for both the benQ models. Can someone clarify?

Thanks again both of you for all your help.

post #20 of 39 Old 12-11-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In professional reviews with real-world measurements taken, many projectors (many displays in general) are found to have exaggerated brightness claims and VERY exaggerated contrast claims from their manufacturers. The exaggerations aren't technically illegal and the higher/better-looking claimed specs mean better sales...so that's why practically everybody does this, bit it can be really bad in the more budget-oriented range.

These projectors all have different brightness ranges depending on things like lamp-setting and color-accuracy, but the Benq ht2050 and ViewSonic pro7827 have a pretty similar brightness through their ranges which is roughly 25% brighter than the ht1070a's brightness range, both at the lowest, middle and highest ends of those ranges.

The Epson 3100 for around $1000-$1300 (new), despite how its specs compare, measures roughly 2X as bright throughout its range, and it has a long zoom-range as well as horizontal and vertical lens-shift, and has been measured to match those DLPs' nice contrast in the real world...so that's why I recommend it as a good option if you can stretch your budget and need a significant boost in brightness.

post #21 of 39 Old 12-14-2018, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I have decided to return the ht1070a and replace it with a ht2050a or ht2150st. Either of them can be had for the street price Of the ht1070a refurbished. Do you think ht2050a would be better for me if i am not into gaming?

Also, wanted some advise for my 60" x 130" spandex screen. 130" translates to 3.6 yards, will 3.5 yards do since the material stretches?
the cost of shipping it rolled is 18+12 at spandex world; seems like a bit much. are there other vendor who sell the same stuff for Less?

Finally, I want o build a frame at the front of my room (about 2 ft out) to hide my subwoofers and hang the screen. Are there any tried and tested designs for such a frame?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by madhuxs; 12-15-2018 at 04:11 AM.
post #22 of 39 Old 12-15-2018, 09:34 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
I have decided to return the ht1070a and replace it with a ht2050a or ht2150st. Either of them can be had for the street price Of the ht1070a refurbished. Do you think ht2050a would be better for me if i am not into gaming?

2050a all the way.

Quote:
Also, wanted some advise for my 60" x 130" spandex screen. 130" translates to 3.6 yards, will 3.5 yards do since the material stretches?
the cost of shipping it rolled is 18+12 at spandex world; seems like a bit much. are there other vendor who sell the same stuff for Less?

It will stretch enough. The Milliskin Spandex at SW has be thoroughly vetted, tested,and proven across many Members. And it is priced within a $1.00 or so of anything else worthy of consideration. paying for it to come on a Roll is worth it for many who are concerned about stretch out wrinkles....but recently many have stretch the material out and then used a Hair Dryer to great effect to smooth things out.

If you do decide on having it shipped on a Roll, CALL YOUR ORDER IN ! There is / has been at best a 50/50 chance that the instructions are/ are not followed. If you call and then they are not followed, they can and often will replace the order.

However! One factor that is self-induced is when people get the fabric boxed, then delay opening it upon receipt, letting the material settle and any wrinkles set into becoming creases. Some members have left the material in a Box for 2-3 weeks, and then found it to be a wrinkly mess. Don't do that.

Quote:
Finally, I want to build a frame at the front of my room (about 2 ft out) to hide my subwoofers and hang the screen. Are there any tried and tested designs for such a frame?

Thanks a bunch!

Lot's of examples.....of AT Walls w/AT Screens. Many use the 120" Black Spandex and stretch it all the way across the width of the room.

If you / we determine the requirements (measurements) it's easy enough for me to make up a Line Drawing that would clearly show you what to do and what to use.

post #23 of 39 Old 12-17-2018, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
2050a all the way.

If you / we determine the requirements (measurements) it's easy enough for me to make up a Line Drawing that would clearly show you what to do and what to use.
I sent the HT1070A back and ordered the HT2050A. Given the constraints in my room--the 16" soffit drop across the middle of the room. I don't think the wider (120") spandex will help me go bigger.

Thanks to the lens shift feature of 2050A I will be able to go from a 120" wide screen (with 1070A) to a 127" wide screen (with 2050A). That's a whooping 7" [This is what i found from a projection calculator] Lets see what happens when i actually set things up. So my custom screen will be 60" X 127+5": 60 X 106 (zoomed out for 16:9) and 53 X 127 (zoomed in for scope movies). The 5" is for 2.5" border on either side. I am thinking i will be making some black masking strips/frames as well for left and right (for 16:9) and the top (scope format).

@MSMan : I would appreciate if you can give me a line drawing for 60" X 132" screen when you get a chance. Thanks!

PS: I came up with these measurements assuming the bottom of the screen can be as low as 12". I could build the screen slightly wider if I could go lower still. What is the lowest placement beyond which it looks awkward?

Last edited by madhuxs; 12-17-2018 at 12:24 PM.
post #24 of 39 Old 12-17-2018, 01:22 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

I hear and will obey......by this PM as I'm out and about.

post #25 of 39 Old 05-23-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys,
I have been projecting images from my BenQ HT2050A on the wall for the last couple of months. I noticed that the switch aspect ratio changes from scope to 16:9/4:3 between scenes! Anyhow, I finally have some time to set up my screen. I already have 3.5 yards (126” x 60”) of both black and white Milliskin Spandex. I would like some help with building a frame for mounting the AT screen, and a scaffolding to mount the screen. Pictures, diagram will be helpful too. I plan to hang the screen 2 feet from the front wall.

Now I would like to build the largest screen possible (with the material I already have) to accommodate for the aspect ratios switch between scenes. I am hoping the screen size can be larger than the material I have since the spandex stretches some. I have attached a picture showing the front wall dimensions.

Thanks a bunch!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	2570710  

post #26 of 39 Old 05-23-2019, 12:26 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Hey guys,
I have been projecting images from my BenQ HT2050A on the wall for the last couple of months. I noticed that the switch aspect ratio changes from scope to 16:9/4:3 between scenes! Anyhow, I finally have some time to set up my screen. I already have 3.5 yards (126” x 60”) of both black and white Milliskin Spandex. I would like some help with building a frame for mounting the AT screen, and a scaffolding to mount the screen. Pictures, diagram will be helpful too. I plan to hang the screen 2 feet from the front wall.

Now I would like to build the largest screen possible (with the material I already have) to accommodate for the aspect ratios switch between scenes. I am hoping the screen size can be larger than the material I have since the spandex stretches some. I have attached a picture showing the front wall dimensions.

Thanks a bunch!

Slightly larger but the diagram below does show how the Frame should be laid out. Your wish to go big has been fullfilled....and the shown dimensions are about as big as you can go with the Spandex you already possess.

post #27 of 39 Old 05-23-2019, 12:33 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

I will address the "stand-off" Scaffold issue a bit later.......if the diagram above meets with your approval.

post #28 of 39 Old 05-23-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Slightly larger but the diagram below does show how the Frame should be laid out. Your wish to go big has been fullfilled....and the shown dimensions are about as big as you can go with the Spandex you already possess.

Hi MSMan,

Are you referencing to a diagram you posted in this thread? seems like it didn't get uploaded.

post #29 of 39 Old 05-23-2019, 04:29 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Let's have another go......

Quote:
Hi MSMan,

Are you referencing to a diagram you posted in this thread? seems like it didn't get uploaded.

.....and when you replied in a "Quote" it's showing up on my Monitor,

W,,w,,,w,,,weird.

2.39:1 Screen Frame

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	161 inch Diagonal 2.39x1 Screen Frame.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	2570890  

post #30 of 39 Old 05-23-2019, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
.....and when you replied in a "Quote" it's showing up on my Monitor,
Thanks. It came through this time. The instructions are very clear! My room is only 140" wide so I will modify the measurements accordingly. At least I am relieved to know that my 126 inch of spandex can be stretched to 140+ inches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page