So we have been watching some movies and TV on the new spandex screen and have zero complaints!!
Personally, I'm not an image expert and don't have much reference for what's excellent and less excellent. My reading took me to the Silver Ticket non-AT screen for best ROI without dropping a couple thousand for just a screen. I've been happy with it but just wanted to go AT. All the reviews I've seen for spandex have been positive and I can say I don't regret changing screen material with regards to image. I was afraid that having 3000 hours on my bulb was going to be an issue with the lower gain, but I've not had any issues. My subjective experience is that this spandex retrofit has had a great impact acoustically with no real downside for image quality......Success!!! I'd have to do some side by side overlays with the old material to see what is better or worse.
For the install, I decided to try both layers into the single channel and used the .230 screen spline from Amazon. 25ft would have been just short, so two packages were needed.
First step was to remove all the white plastic studs in the ST frame by opening a couple of corners to slide them out of the channel. Took the spandex off the roll and laid the white down first over the frame facing down, then black over the white.
Along the bottom edge of the screen, I used the spandex factory edge as a baseline for "straight" and laid the two aligned layers about 1/2" past the channel for the spline.
I put the spline into the channel and, PRESTO! She 'a fit berry nice!!
After this, I used clips (of the chip and binder variety) to do a pre-tension around the perimeter following other guides I've seen. Bottom center > top center > left center > right center > bottom left corner > top right corner > top left corner > bottom right corner. I did find some adjustment beyond this necessary after standing up the frame with the material and spline installed. I was a bit cautious over how much I could stretch and tried to keep tension minimal. By doing that, the weight of the material caused some wrinkling at the edges in a couple of spots and I just had to pull the spline out and apply a little more tension to the layers of spandex in the trouble areas. This adjustment process took the most time and was the most challenging part. With some adjusting and patience, I was finally able to stand up the screen without any wrinkling.
You can see in the above image, I chickened out and decided to roll the excess material overhang rather than trimming it. That was a bit more work, but I was skeptical about my stretch being sufficient, and worried if I would regret trimming. I think this would be fine either way, I don't have any issues from it being rolled and clipped in place.
Now the goofy part of me forgot to take "completed" pictures, but it is a white screen on the same ST frame, so not different looking from the front. The front stage improvement is kind of like TV ads where the real improvement is all the other changes besides what they're selling lol. The old speakers and shelf going away have made the visual impact to tidy-ness.
However, I've taken advantage of the AT properties of the spandex and treated the wall with OC703 behind the screen and mounted the third line array speaker for the center. As expected, this configuration is soooo much better for sound than the horizontal center and floor standers. The back row has been transformed into a viable listening position, even without a riser.
Also, for my specific installation, I was able to use some 2X4 trimmed to act as a spacer to stand the screen off the wall about 2 1/2" You can see the blocks screwed into the studs above the OC. I also fashioned some spacers for the bottom mounting points as well, but attached those to the brackets on the frame.