Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-17-2019, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rookie DIY'r

Good Day Eh!

Just finishing my basement, just purchased my AVR, speakers are on order, and now I must decide on the PJ and a 100" diagonal AT screen. This will be my first time using a projector and screen. Leaning towards an Optoma 51A for the PJ. After looking at prices of the AT screens from manufactures, I have decided I cannot spend that much.

Googling around it seems I have two options for DIY...1) Spandex or 2) Seymore AV.

Is spandex comparable to a seymore av center stage material?

BTW - I am in Canada, so if the recommendation is spandex, let me know where you Canadians buy your material.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-18-2019, 05:51 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleH View Post
Good Day Eh!

Just finishing my basement, just purchased my AVR, speakers are on order, and now I must decide on the PJ and a 100" diagonal AT screen. This will be my first time using a projector and screen. Leaning towards an Optoma 51A for the PJ. After looking at prices of the AT screens from manufactures, I have decided I cannot spend that much.

Googling around it seems I have two options for DIY...1) Spandex or 2) Seymore AV.

Is spandex comparable to a seymore av center stage material?

BTW - I am in Canada, so if the recommendation is spandex, let me know where you Canadians buy your material.

Thanks!

Spandex in 2 layers trumps the AT performance of a single layer of Center Stage.....and the CS must be cut diagonally to help reduce the dreaded Morie effect that is so common in Mfg AT screens. That makes it all the more proportionately expensive.

The Center Stange does have a "Gain" advantage...but that is one element that is also contributed to helping create Morie

Having a 100" diagonal screen certainly helps remove Gain considerations.

PJ wise, it's all about the budget. A great inexpensive 4K choice is the Optoma UHD50. You can move up into higher Lumen output with a Epson 5040 EShift, which are currently heavily discounted. With Spandex...even at only 100", you want to maintain having asmany Lumes as you can afford, and as high a resolution as well so as totake advantage of Spandex's exceptional surface smoothness.

Availability in Canada is somewhat limited....and I myself don't have that information. If such does not pop up on this Thread...post a New Thread asking for that specifically.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 10 Old 04-18-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Spandex in 2 layers trumps the AT performance of a single layer of Center Stage.....and the CS must be cut diagonally to help reduce the dreaded Morie effect that is so common in Mfg AT screens. That makes it all the more proportionately expensive.

The Center Stange does have a "Gain" advantage...but that is one element that is also contributed to helping create Morie

Having a 100" diagonal screen certainly helps remove Gain considerations.

PJ wise, it's all about the budget. A great inexpensive 4K choice is the Optoma UHD50. You can move up into higher Lumen output with a Epson 5040 EShift, which are currently heavily discounted. With Spandex...even at only 100", you want to maintain having asmany Lumes as you can afford, and as high a resolution as well so as totake advantage of Spandex's exceptional surface smoothness.

Availability in Canada is somewhat limited....and I myself don't have that information. If such does not pop up on this Thread...post a New Thread asking for that specifically.
Thank you Mississippi Man! If higher lumens are important with a spandex screen then I would consider the Optoma UHD60. Still an affordable unit and cheaper than the epson 5040 in canada. I haven't seen much of a discount here yet. Would rather put the money into the PJ than an overpriced manufacture screen.

Also - How do I determine how many yards of spandex I require for this size of screen. I think I will just order from spandex world as this material has already been tested.

To determine the appropriate sizing for a 16:9 100" screen, would the tool from http://www.webprojectorcalculator.com/ be correct? For example, it says 87"w x 49"h, but I am not sure if these are viewable dimensions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-18-2019, 12:19 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

You'll need 3 yards of each....Black & White Milliskin.

Order it to come "On a Roll".

Yes...I thought about the lower Lumen output of the UHD65.....but I also realized it was a 10 Bit / 18 GBS machine with 1,200,000:1 Dynamic Contrast
.......and I took into account the small screen size. Nothing really warded me away from that selection,or made me feel required to shoo you away either.

Dropping down to the UHD60 costs you true 10 Bit Colorspace HDR content...and 200K;1 Dynamic Contrast is lost. But yeah....the Lumen increase is "Bigly" at an additional 800 Lumen gained.

The 60 won't leave you crying or having too many "what if..." thoughts.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Did you ever end up deciding?
post #6 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Blum View Post
Did you ever end up deciding?
I decided on spandex. It just arrived yesterday.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 08:18 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleH View Post
I decided on spandex. It just arrived yesterday.

Great news that....your coming out of the 4th turn and onto the Home Stretch.

Be sure to get back in the AVS DIY Saddle if you have any questions about the Screen's construction.

.......and no Horsing around....please!

post #8 of 10 Old 04-23-2019, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This was an excellent thread. Thanks guys
post #9 of 10 Old 04-24-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Great news that....your coming out of the 4th turn and onto the Home Stretch.

Be sure to get back in the AVS DIY Saddle if you have any questions about the Screen's construction.

.......and no Horsing around....please!
Will do. It may may not be for a few weeks. My wife wants me to finish putting the flooring in first for some reason
post #10 of 10 Old 04-26-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I think the OP made the right call for his particular screen size. I just wanted to offer my opinion on the CS XD material. I had a spandex screen but switched to a Center Stage XD screen for increased sharpness and gain. The CS material is quite good for sound. Perhaps 1 or 2db difference from spandex across most of the spectrum and just a few extra db way up top. The hf rolloff did not bother me much so I needed no specific adjustments for the material.

Since my screen height is 99" I went with the full 98" material height with no diagonal. No moire or other artifacts to speak of. IMHO, there is no issue with the AT characteristics of CS XD, there is no Moire issue with large screens, and the smaller screens can be cut on a diagonal for just a bit more cost.

Spandex rocks for the price. It has a slightly soft image, a slight blue push, great audio, good gain, unlimited seating distance.

Center Stage XD also rocks for the price, albeit a higher price but certainly not expensive. It has a sharp image, is color neutral, has good audio, should not be used with seating distances < 11'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page