What screen/paint should I go with? Noob here - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What screen/paint should I go with? Noob here

Hi All,

Finally SO agreed to switch our Vizio P65 for a projector. I've been bugging her for a while since I find the 65 too small as I mostly watch movies and the black bars take away real estate and I'd like a more cinematic experience. Anyways I digress.

This is my first time getting a projector I think I will be going for the Optoma UHD65 which I found a good sale for, I just gotta get rid of my TV quick
All AV components will move to top of the fridge/cabinet behind. (Receiver, Nvidia Shield, hard drives, modem, amp for bass shakers).

However screen wise I did not come to a conclusion what would be best. My budget is around 250CAD for the screen. I've been looking at Elitescreen 135" Cinegrey 3D/5D DIY material and building my own frame
OR
some DIY paint. (grey possibly?) However the wall is not smooth so I'd have to put a good amount of work into it which I don't mind. Only that one wall will be painted if that's the chosen method.

Main concern is one side of our condo is full glass with a good amount of light coming in about 40-80 foot-candles with the blackout curtains open and 0.4-1 foot-candle with the blackout curtains closed @ noon. Even for movie watching during the day I do close the curtains as the light washes the image out.

Size wise I did not decide on the final size as I am not sure at what point it becomes uncomfortable, but the smallest screen I can get because of the throw ratio is 107" 16:9 which I think I am comfortable with. However 2.35:1 might zoom in. I like the idea of painting the whole wall grey as I am not sure about the size I want to end up with at this viewing distance.

Some measurements:
- Throw distance: 17'3" @80" high from ground
- Viewing Distance: 9' @37" high from ground
- Wall size: 140" x 94" (W x H)

I attached some pictures of my setup. Please don't mind the mess in the kitchen I kinda threw everything there and didn't have time to do dishes. Also my L/R speaker stands are not straight because of the carpet. I just finished them 2 days ago and looking for cheap speaker spikes for them!

If any of you have any advice/experience on screen/projector please comment!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0276.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	782.7 KB
ID:	2554482   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0275.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	714.5 KB
ID:	2554484   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0286.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	664.4 KB
ID:	2554486   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0282.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	647.5 KB
ID:	2554488  
greganka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 21,520
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3398 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by greganka View Post
Hi All,

Finally SO agreed to switch our Vizio P65 for a projector. I've been bugging her for a while since I find the 65 too small as I mostly watch movies and the black bars take away real estate and I'd like a more cinematic experience. Anyways I digress.

This is my first time getting a projector I think I will be going for the Optoma UHD65 which I found a good sale for, I just gotta get rid of my TV quick
All AV components will move to top of the fridge/cabinet behind. (Receiver, Nvidia Shield, hard drives, modem, amp for bass shakers).

The UHD65 will do nicely if it's placed properly. It has no Horizontal Lens Shift, and just +/- 15% Vertical.


with 140" wall width to work with, and what amounts to already having a "Shadow Box Screen going for you, I suggest painting out the entire Screen wall, as that will allow you to have a 73" x 130" (149"diag) @16:9 and a 130" x 54" (141" diag) @ 2.39:1


Those are not the largest sizes.....just the largest you could consider. Smallest size in 16:9 is 116" and in 2.39:1 it's 110"



A good place to be would be 120" x 68"(138" diag. @ 16:9 )) and 120" x 50" (130" diag. @2.39:1 )


Quote:
However screen wise I did not come to a conclusion what would be best. My budget is around 250CAD for the screen. I've been looking at Elitescreen 135" Cinegrey 3D/5D DIY material and building my own frame
OR
some DIY paint. (grey possibly?) However the wall is not smooth so I'd have to put a good amount of work into it which I don't mind. Only that one wall will be painted if that's the chosen method.

Take the necessary steps to make the Wall smooth and you'll realize more value in doing so than any other combination.


Quote:
Main concern is one side of our condo is full glass with a good amount of light coming in about 40-80 foot-candles with the blackout curtains open and 0.4-1 foot-candle with the blackout curtains closed @ noon. Even for movie watching during the day I do close the curtains as the light washes the image out.

At the 120" wide sizing in both formats, and with the right Paint, if you take those steps to reduce / contain out side light, the DIY Screen and PJ won't let you down



Quote:
Size wise I did not decide on the final size as I am not sure at what point it becomes uncomfortable, but the smallest screen I can get because of the throw ratio is 107" 16:9 which I think I am comfortable with. However 2.35:1 might zoom in. I like the idea of painting the whole wall grey as I am not sure about the size I want to end up with at this viewing distance.

Which is exactly why painting out the Entire "Box" is so critical! You can do just about anything you want...at first...later on...forever.





Quote:
If any of you have any advice/experience on screen/projector please comment!

Some might say I have a bit.....and most all will say I have no problem commenting on such.


Post up which Provence / City your closest to and I can help source the materials you need.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is online now  
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The UHD65 will do nicely if it's placed properly. It has no Horizontal Lens Shift, and just +/- 15% Vertical.

Take the necessary steps to make the Wall smooth and you'll realize more value in doing so than any other combination.
So fill holes then sand the entire wall, then spray paint?






Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Some might say I have a bit.....and most all will say I have no problem commenting on such.


Post up which Provence / City your closest to and I can help source the materials you need.
Toronto, Ontario , Canada

main places to get things to me are
amazon.ca
homedepot.ca
lowes.ca
rona.ca
canadiantire.ca
or any other place I don't know of but I am sure you do haha


I've got some people telling me on reddit that it is not the place for a projector and I am better off leaving the TV as the light coming in will ruin the picture. What do you think about that?
greganka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 4 Old 04-17-2019, 02:17 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 21,520
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3398 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by greganka View Post
So fill holes then sand the entire wall, then spray paint?
In the most basic sense....yes.

Quote:
Toronto, Ontario , Canada

main places to get things to me are
amazon.ca
homedepot.ca
lowes.ca
rona.ca
canadiantire.ca
or any other place I don't know of but I am sure you do haha
Exactly.......your pretty well set with that list.

Quote:
I've got some people telling me on reddit that it is not the place for a projector and I am better off leaving the TV as the light coming in will ruin the picture. What do you think about that?
Well...there are better suited Projectors for your application.....but the 65'er is no slouch, and with any real effort to offset the effects of intrusive Light, the Paint will take things to a different level of expectations.

Those Reddit folks can't know anything but what they are familiar with, so their well intended advice is predicated on knowing how much brighter a direct view TV can be. But unless you can score a 82" Samsung LED 4K TV for less than that UHD65, we will make them all run for cover from your blazin' hot 120"er.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
diy paint , diy screen , Optoma , silver fire , uhd65

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off