New - Looking for some recent history of movie screen paint - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 3 Old 04-28-2019, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New - Looking for some recent history of movie screen paint

Hi everyone,

I know I have a lot of reading to do, as I'm really new to this. I started digging into reflective materials via another hobby of mine, and accidentally started learning new things, and now I'm here.

Specifically, I'm looking into what high gain, easily available movie screen paint would have been available in the late 1970s or early 1980s, which means I need to learn some history.

There are a few movies of that era that used retro-reflective material as a special effect. I've experimented with Scotchlite fabric and high visibility Reflexite traffic tape, which throw back a good high amount of light. However, the documentation I have shows a white or grey paint.

And that led me here, to the DIY screen area. I've seen Behr silver screen paint, Goo products, and some of the more industrial things (HD or video paint?) however... I'm not using it for it's intended purpose! So, the more gain (viewing angle would be straight on), the more reflectivity the better. I've heard that glossy finishes also increase reflectivity, like hot spots, and are bad for a clear picture. So I almost want to say the worse the better here haha

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience just shining a light on a painted DIY screen, instead of a projector? I know it's not really the point, but it would help

Also, any links or tips for some history to read up on, or what would have been available at the time would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-28-2019, 08:54 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
So you want help making up a surface that we try our best to avoid.................

................that's easy!

Purchase RustOleum Sterling Silver ( HERE )

At least 2 Quarts.

Stir extremely well, and thing it enough to pass through a 1.5 mm Needle on a Electric HVLP. Apply several very light dust'ings* at first, with lots of Row overlap.
*a Duster coat is a rapidly applied sweep across the surface @ 4' per sec. from a 14" distance, and dropping about 4'-5" at the end and then going back....back and forth. If your using good speed and overlap technique, a sizable area can be painted in about 30-45 sec. Smaller? 10-15 sec.

The object is to build up the surface layers gradually so that no runs or ridges develop like rolling a pure silver metallic would usually produce.

After 4 coats you can slow down a little to 3' sec....but no slower.

Always let each coat dry completely. Duster will dry faily quick, althouh placeing a clean Fan to blow air across the surface can speed thinfgs up considerably (15-20 minutes per Coat)
thd9791 likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 3 Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
now that would be shiny! is that the glitter stuff or just straight metallic? (link leads to a 404 missing page at lowes)

I'm curious if it's possible to use, for example, just the under reflective coat from goo and leave off the matte overcoat. There is a distinct difference between shiny surfaces and retroreflective light kickback I've noticed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page