paint recommendations for screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By browndrake
  • 1 Post By browndrake
  • 1 Post By browndrake
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 26 Old 05-12-2019, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
paint recommendations for screen

We are in the process of remolding and adding onto a 119 y/o farmhouse. One part of the addition is my wife's 'theater room.' I am trying to get it all wrapped up this month.

The room is dedicated for the theater. 21.5' deep 11.75' wide. There is one window at the back of the room that will be blacked out/covered. There is one door at back left of the room. I have pretty much complete control over lighting. Right side is 97" tall, left is 122" tall. There are three rows of seating, each 7" higher than the preceding. Pic attached showing room. (still need to add second coat of paint and trim out the room.) Floor will be carpeted.

Will be putting short cabinets across front of room and trim throughout. Will be using projector and target screen size is 132" wide x 74ish" tall.

Older projector (not even in production anymore): Epson Home Cinema 2040 with advertised brightness 2200 and contrast 35000:1

This room is new construction. Screen wall has been skim coated and sanded and primed. I am guessing d/t lower brightness of projector and ability to control the lighting in the room, that a white screen is best to go with? What paint will be best for viewing movies in this room?

I'm very new to this and may not have given you all the needed info nor asked the right questions. Please feel free to ask any questions and offer any feedback.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theaterRoom.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	2565910  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Forgot to add:

Unless it is better to do otherwise, I will be spaying the paint with a graco pro17 or a good cup gun. I have sprayed hundreds of gallons of lacquer but have sprayed very little paint.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 06:58 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Hi....and good Morning!

You say the room is 11.75' wide and your desired screen is to be 132" wide. That would mean the screen would stretch out the entire width of the wall (132" is 11')

With the image offering virtually no space between the screen's sides and the side Walls, without really effective light masking there will be quite a bit of reflection that will interfere with image quality at the edges.

Basically, the end of the room has to be in effect a Light Masking Shadowbox....and it appears you used a paint with a degree of sheen....looks to be at least a Satin. That is going to shine despite being so dark.

I would add that at 74"ish tall screen will make it extremely difficult for you to have the 2nd and 3rd rows of seating be able to have a clear and unrestricted view, even with two 7" rises. (unless the 1st and 2nd rows are arbitrarily reclined) And what about the Power Receptacle down below on the Screen Wall? Seems that will be within the 74" image area.

As you said...."being very new" says a lot here, and that can add quite a bit of incorrect planning into any equation. I strongly suggest we/you carefully review the particulars and make any necessary adjustments before you proceed further...and if that entails doing so quickly so as to maintain your "end of the month"completion....we should get crackin' on it!

BTW...I live in a 100 yr old+ reconverted Barn Home myself, so I'm sure your construction has a lot to answer for what with the way such structures were built.

Where will the PJ be situated? (Ceiling Mount.....Throw distance?)
Are 3 rows of seats an absolute necessity? (...if so then the rear riser will have to be at least 10" to 12" above the level of the 2nd Riser...)
What type of seating and what are it's "Back Height" measurements?
Are you open to adapting your paint color/sheen to allow for your desired plans?

The "Can-o-Worms" has been opened......time to go Fishin' for the right answers or be prepared to haul in a Old Shoe.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

You say the room is 11.75' wide and your desired screen is to be 132" wide. That would mean the screen would stretch out the entire width of the wall (132" is 11') That was pretty much the plan. We may need to narrow it up a bit, for the reasons you mention and also for better speaker placement... Still learning all this as we go.

I would add that at 74"ish tall screen will make it extremely difficult for you to have the 2nd and 3rd rows of seating be able to have a clear and unrestricted view, even with two 7" rises. (unless the 1st and 2nd rows are arbitrarily reclined) And what about the Power Receptacle down below on the Screen Wall? Seems that will be within the 74" image area.

Where will the PJ be situated? (Ceiling Mount.....Throw distance?) Plan was 14.5'-15' ceiling mount
Are 3 rows of seats an absolute necessity? (...if so then the rear riser will have to be at least 10" to 12" above the level of the 2nd Riser...)1st row will likely end up just being bean bag chairs and such for kids, so they will not get in the way of 2nd row. I may tear out the first riser and drop it a couple inches to give 9" for the back and then put 2-3" more just under the seating of back row ( now walkway) that would give me 11-13" inches rise between rows 2-3. (It would be much easier to not tear out and redo the 1st riser...and just add under seating platform, but I would be functionally limited to about 3 inches, which would give 10 rise between rows 2-3.

I wired the power receptacles low, so there is plenty of clearance there.

What type of seating and what are it's "Back Height" measurements? row one: bean bags and banana chairs. rows 2-3: reclining couches. I don't have the couches yet so unsure of the measurements. Have been using our old couches for testing and will likely use them for next few months.
Are you open to adapting your paint color/sheen to allow for your desired plans?
Yes. BUT, this is my wife's room and she is the one doing colors, etc. What is best sheen for walls? color changes? Any other ideas? We only have one coat on right now anyhow and have to do another. So some paint changes are not a big deal.

The "Can-o-Worms" has been opened......time to go Fishin' for the right answers or be prepared to haul in a Old Shoe.
Good think I like fishing...can I use a fly rod? or does this require an ol' cane pole?
post #5 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 01:38 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Patience...we'll address the color / type screen next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndrake View Post

Good think I like fishing...can I use a fly rod? or does this require an ol' cane pole?
Shucks....we're going after the BIG ONE here. Mississippi River Tackle, if you please!

I'd like the dimensions of all your Front Speakers (R-C-L) as well as the height from the Floor to the low angled corner on the Screen Wall.

I'd probably just raise the 2nd Platform up 3" Can you provide a "Birds Eye" of the Floor /Platform Layout including measurements? (...yeah, give me the chance and I'll be all up inside all your business...it's what I do. )

In the least you should change the next Coat to a Flat Interior Enamel (...such as any good Interior Primer / Paint Comb....) That means walls AND that Ceiling. Same Colors (...let keep her happy....) just virtually no Sheen. But..............I do suggest that the first 4' to 5' of Wall on each side out from the screen wall be painted to Match the Ceiling -Wainscot, as well as the Triangle above the screen. The difference in Image quality will be....significant.

You see....the bigger the Screen...the more the need for the Shadowbox.

Here's a funny. As I started reading your response (on my Phone) it was not "in quotes" and I did not see your colored answers, so I thought someone was just repeating my thoughts / ideas.
The very nerve...the unmitigated gall!!

..glad I was just wrongfully and hopelessly unobservant.

OK...let's talk actual functional Screen size.

A 135" diagonal 16:9 image is 118" wide and 66" tall and 49" x 118 @ 128" diagonal. Optimal Throw would be 14'- 3" Lens to Screen Wall. One thing to consider...what PJ upgrade will be possible with the mounting / screen size being done. The size I recommended will accommodate several newer 4K units that come in at reasonable price points...as well as both the older x790r / RS540 and the latest JVCs

With the Epson 2040 and employing a Basic Matte White you would clock in at just over 36-37 fl of reflected brightness. But there would be no added Contrast enhancement and Colors will be less dynamic.

I suggest you consider using a Metallic-infused DIY Mix such as Silver Fire N/C (no colorant) so as to help boost the 4020 with perceived Contrast enhancement as well as effecting a deepening of all Colors (saturation0

In the end, the quality and "WoW" potential of your image...even though and especially because your using a older model PJ...will be the determining factor as to if the Wife decides the entire project was worth it.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #6 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'd like the dimensions of all your Front Speakers (R-C-L) as well as the height from the Floor to the low angled corner on the Screen Wall.
I don't have the speakers yet either....going into an old farmhouse, one ends up spending more than one had previously thought. I'm currently about 30k over budget on the house so pulling the belt tight now.
here at avs i asked for input into speaker selection: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ns-layout.html.
I think that I am leaning towards the airmotiv T1s

I'd probably just raise the 2nd Platform up 3" Can you provide a "Birds Eye" of the Floor /Platform Layout including measurements? (...yeah, give me the chance and I'll be all up inside all your business...it's what I do. ) Pics attached with measurements.

In the least you should change the next Coat to a Flat Interior Enamel (...such as any good Interior Primer / Paint Comb....) That means walls AND that Ceiling. Same Colors (...let keep her happy....) just virtually no Sheen. But..............I do suggest that the first 4' to 5' of Wall on each side out from the screen wall be painted to Match the Ceiling -Wainscot, as well as the Triangle above the screen. The difference in Image quality will be....significant.
My wife thinks that this is a good idea. Would a flat black be the best colors/sheen for ceiling and for 'shawdow box'?

A 135" diagonal 16:9 image is 118" wide and 66" tall and 49" x 118 @ 128" diagonal. Optimal Throw would be 14'- 3" Lens to Screen Wall. One thing to consider...what PJ upgrade will be possible with the mounting / screen size being done. The size I recommended will accommodate several newer 4K units that come in at reasonable price points...as well as both the older x790r / RS540 and the latest JVCs

118" wide would give room for front speakers and also raise screen 8" higher, helping with the view over 2nd row seats.

I suggest you consider using a Metallic-infused DIY Mix such as Silver Fire N/C (no colorant) so as to help boost the 4020 with perceived Contrast enhancement as well as effecting a deepening of all Colors (saturation0

I'm sure you can give more pointers on the DIY Mix when we get closer?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenSide.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	2566428   Click image for larger version

Name:	backSide.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	2566430  
post #7 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 06:57 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
I don't have the speakers yet either....going into an old farmhouse, one ends up spending more than one had previously thought. I'm currently about 30k over budget on the house so pulling the belt tight now.
here at avs i asked for input into speaker selection: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ns-layout.html.
I think that I am leaning towards the airmotiv T1s
In a room like yours, the Airmotiv T1 s' are almost overkill. Almost. You certainly would not be overly distressed with them. The TZero s' might fit the room better, and certainly the budget. The Center? Airmotiv C1. Also, considering the depth of the room, using the Airmotiv E2 s as your Side Surrounds, and the E1 s' as the Center Rears seems to me to be the most acoustically correct choices....especially since the entire system would be tonally matched. I have some familiarity with the Emotiva line and they represent a damn good value/performance choice.

Sadly, the Ceiling Slope doesn't bode well for the use of a Atmos application. Best to just let DTS-X provide as much suedo-Atmos object based effect.

Quote:
I'd probably just raise the 2nd Platform up 3" Can you provide a "Birds Eye" of the Floor /Platform Layout including measurements? (...yeah, give me the chance and I'll be all up inside all your business...it's what I do. ) Pics attached with measurements.
Yep....just build another Pedestal Riser from 2x4s with a 3/4" Plywood Cap, one that is just wide & deep enough to raise the Sofa up. Probably waiting until the end to do so after adjudging just how necessary it will be would be prudent....not procrastinatory.

Quote:
My wife thinks that this is a good idea. Would a flat black be the best colors/sheen for ceiling and for 'shawdow box'?

Yuck....Black is just so "Old School". Something fostered off as being ideal when in fact all it is a dismally dull choice and .......well ugly. A Ultra Dark Grey in a Flat Interior Enamel looks SOOOOOOO much more refined, is absolutely just as effective if not actually more so that anything except a plush Black Velvet....and best of all it is a truly complimenting Color to a Deep saturated Flat Red. If you would like I can provide you a Color Code for exactly the shade of Grey you'd need. It would be exceedingly dark Grey...almost looking Black in shade...and the paint you already have up will be well suited as a undercoat, allowing for a minimal amount of Grey to effect even coverage.

Quote:

118" wide would give room for front speakers and also raise screen 8" higher, helping with the view over 2nd row seats.
Yes indeed....that is an important aspect of the design and the chosen Screen size.

The screen's upper right corner will still need to crowd the Ceiling Slope. Also, the Center will need to be mounted just above the top edge of the Screen.....you cannot "go low" if you have two rows of seats elevated off the Floor.

Quote:

I'm sure you can give more pointers on the DIY Mix when we get closer?
Ya think so?

If it can be done, the final Coat of whatever Color is chosen for the Ceiling should be sprayed. And should you opt to go with an advanced DIY Mix (...as you should...) it too must be sprayed, albeit with an inexpensive but correctly chosen Electric HVLP Gun. If I was doing your Screen, I would hurry up and get it painted FIRST, the mask it off with Plastic and then paint out the rest of the Room. Otherwise, you'll have to mask off the unused Screen Wall areas, the Ceiling directly above the Screen out to at least 5', and of course both the Side Walls out to 6'....all in very thin Plastic Sheeting. It is a lot easier to paint the Screen and just mask off that area alone.

May I assume you'll want at least a minimal 2" Black Velvet Screen Frame around the painted screen?

Quote:
Thanks
You betcha!

post #8 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
In a room like yours, the Airmotiv T1 s' are almost overkill. Almost. You certainly would not be overly distressed with them. The TZero s' might fit the room better, and certainly the budget. The Center? Airmotiv C1. Also, considering the depth of the room, using the Airmotiv E2 s as your Side Surrounds, and the E1 s' as the Center Rears seems to me to be the most acoustically correct choices....especially since the entire system would be tonally matched. I have some familiarity with the Emotiva line and they represent a damn good value/performance choice.
I think the speakers much smaller than even the Tzero would be large enough for the size room. But, I like the idea of a matched set and want the best sound/experience that I can afford. Would you recommend the T0 over the T1 in this case?
One thing: we do outside movies for friends/family all summer. I don't have dedicated speakers for that and will likely be using the front LR speakers for outside. The larger speakers may be better in that setting. (Our outside screen is just white stucco, but works pretty well.

Quote:
Yep....just build another Pedestal Riser from 2x4s with a 3/4" Plywood Cap, one that is just wide & deep enough to raise the Sofa up. Probably waiting until the end to do so after adjudging just how necessary it will be would be prudent....not procrastinatory.

I was thinking the same. So, ceiling, triangle above screen, and about 4' of walls next to screen?

Quote:
Yuck....Black is just so "Old School". Something fostered off as being ideal when in fact all it is a dismally dull choice and .......well ugly. A Ultra Dark Grey in a Flat Interior Enamel looks SOOOOOOO much more refined, is absolutely just as effective if not actually more so that anything except a plush Black Velvet....and best of all it is a truly complimenting Color to a Deep saturated Flat Red. If you would like I can provide you a Color Code for exactly the shade of Grey you'd need. It would be exceedingly dark Grey...almost looking Black in shade...and the paint you already have up will be well suited as a undercoat, allowing for a minimal amount of Grey to effect even coverage.

Wife likes the idea of the dark grey. Would appreciate the color code.

Quote:
If it can be done, the final Coat of whatever Color is chosen for the Ceiling should be sprayed. And should you opt to go with an advanced DIY Mix (...as you should...) it too must be sprayed, albeit with an inexpensive but correctly chosen Electric HVLP Gun. If I was doing your Screen, I would hurry up and get it painted FIRST, the mask it off with Plastic and then paint out the rest of the Room. Otherwise, you'll have to mask off the unused Screen Wall areas, the Ceiling directly above the Screen out to at least 5', and of course both the Side Walls out to 6'....all in very thin Plastic Sheeting. It is a lot easier to paint the Screen and just mask off that area alone.
What recipe do you recommend for the screen? You say best to spray with an electric HVLP. Is that going to be very diff from my pneumatic hvlp?

Quote:
May I assume you'll want at least a minimal 2" Black Velvet Screen Frame around the painted screen?
Yes

Last edited by browndrake; 05-14-2019 at 09:18 AM.
post #9 of 26 Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

I'm a woodworking man. With stains/lacquers I'm at home, but don't know a lot about paint. Is Flat Interior Enamel diff from latex, in guessing? Oil based?

I'm headed south, to the big town today. Hope to be able to pick up paint supplies while there.
Thanks so much for the help.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-16-2019, 07:52 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
I'm a woodworking man. With stains/lacquers I'm at home, but don't know a lot about paint. Is Flat Interior Enamel diff from latex, in guessing? Oil based?

I'm headed south, to the big town today. Hope to be able to pick up paint supplies while there.
Thanks so much for the help.

Flat Interior Enamel is all Water Based, and it is the preponderance of Acrylic content that labels it as being an "Interior Enamel". In fact, every "Primer/Paint Combo" now out there qualifies as being an Interior Enamel....they just doint add that moniker to the description so as to not confuse the buyers.

post #11 of 26 Old 05-16-2019, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

What is the color code for the grey (ceiling & 'shadow box') that you were recommending. Also, do you already have a thread explaining recipe/how to make the DIY screen paint with Silver Fire?
thanks
post #12 of 26 Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Ask and Ye shall.......

Quote:
What is the color code for the grey (ceiling & 'shadow box') that you were recommending.

The last number is either a "8" or "9" and at Home Depot they can also use the Bar Code and Number to reference the original Color order.

The 100th Oz. Reference numbers for the Color Match can be used as well. The Grey was specifically created to obtain the most Neutral a Dark Grey possible. Any Tech woth his Computer can darken it further with additional Lamp Black....if you want to go a bit darker,

I use it for Ceilings and Walls in some fairly prestigious Theaters.....Residential & Commercial, so you can be certain it will do what it's supposed to.

As for the DIY Silver Fire Mix...........: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...-2-thread.html

Feel free to PM me an email address if you want some detailed instructions and material sources should you need them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 a Dark Gray Tint.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2567548  

post #13 of 26 Old 05-16-2019, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. btw, it is a 9 not an 8.
I'll be hitting the road in the next little bit. Hopefully, I will be able to pick up all the ingredients while in St. George.

I'll pm you if I need more help.
post #14 of 26 Old 05-22-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

That grey looks extremely good on the ceiling and walls near screen!
MKIII likes this.
post #15 of 26 Old 05-22-2019, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
That grey looks extremely good on the ceiling and walls near screen!
Can you post some pictures? I like the idea of a dark grey instead of black.
post #16 of 26 Old 05-22-2019, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKIII View Post
Can you post some pictures? I like the idea of a dark grey instead of black.
I will post pics but it will be next week. I have much of the room masked off right now. I am shooting walls in about 10 mins. When all the ingredients get here, I will spray the screen. Carpet goes in a week from today. My speakers are supposed to arrive the same day. Hope to build some cabinets and trim it out by then also..... so much to do and so little time. Also trimming out the rest of the house this week. (When you remodel/add onto a 119 y/o farmhouse there is never a shortage of things to do.) I doubt that I am going to finish the HT completely by the middle of next week, but I'll take some pics then and it will be close enough so that you can see if you like the grey or not.
MKIII likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 05-28-2019, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Carpets is coming tomorrow morning. Had to build the cabinets today so they could be here before the carpet layers. I will pull them tomorrow and paint them black inside and out. Will have fabric in a few days to wrap the side cabinets and also a top that will span the base cabinets and a 12" deep shelf that will span the top of the screen. Using GOM 701 black.

Speakers also arrive tomorrow. Putting airmotiv T1s for front L/R in the side cabinets. C2 will on go shelf above screen. When I get a sub this fall, it will go either in the open spot or where any of the base cabinets are. Likely will be an HSU VTF-2 MK5.

Lack just a couple ingredients to make the paint for screen. As soon as it gets here, pull the cabinets and shoot the screen. Then, pop some popcorn....

Here are a couple photos that show the grey. Still not trimmed out and making a few changes with paint, and screen is just primed, BUT it will give you and idea of what the grey looks like. We like it a lot more than the black we had.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grey2Resized.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	2572986   Click image for larger version

Name:	greyResized.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	2572988  
MKIII likes this.

Last edited by browndrake; 05-28-2019 at 10:33 PM.
post #18 of 26 Old 05-29-2019, 07:11 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Hi...,

Sorry I did not respond as quickly as I normally do.

Black Velvet is on a order of magnitude a better material for absorbing light wherever reflection might be an issue. Specifically the Top of the Cabinet and the Sides facing inward toward the Screen.

Otherwise, Black Spandex would work as a simple covering for any other exposed Framework.

post #19 of 26 Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Ordered some Plush Triple Velvet BLACK. I'll wrap top of cabinets ( from screen out ~ about 24") , bottom of shelf (above screen ~ 12" deep), and sides of speaker cabinets, to match upper shelf.

On the speaker cabinets, I will likely put the GOM from the velvet forward, as I already ordered it. How does spandex compare to 701 for acoustical performance?
post #20 of 26 Old 05-29-2019, 08:37 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Ordered some Plush Triple Velvet BLACK. I'll wrap top of cabinets ( from screen out ~ about 24") , bottom of shelf (above screen ~ 12" deep), and sides of speaker cabinets, to match upper shelf.

On the speaker cabinets, I will likely put the GOM from the velvet forward, as I already ordered it. How does spandex compare to 701 for acoustical performance?

The Spandex is as good as it gets......that is to say it's significantly better. Measurements on Graphs show a substantial difference....but as to if aurally you might actually be able to tell, that is more subjective.

post #21 of 26 Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The Spandex is as good as it gets......that is to say it's significantly better. Measurements on Graphs show a substantial difference....but as to if aurally you might actually be able to tell, that is more subjective.
After talking with the boss.....I think we will use the GOM to make acoustic panels. We will cover the speaker cabinets (except for cutouts) the upper shelf and shelf above bottom cabinets with the velvet. I've never looked into spandex at all. What kind? and where to look? How would it look if I put spandex over the speaker cutouts and the rest velvet? (actually, whether GOM or Spandex, I will likely fill front speaker cutout will it and the anterior half of the side cutouts with it..the back half of side cutouts will have velvet ...same distance out from wall as upper shelf--hope that makes sense)

One more question for whomever...in attached pic, upper left corner: does it look better with the grey, as currently painted, or would it look better with the red from wall going to the corner? ( i kinda drew in the upper shelf and 'covered' bottom shelf in black... not much of an artist)

THanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fabric.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	2573100  
post #22 of 26 Old 05-29-2019, 05:16 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Black Milliskin Spandex is what you want: https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/796

Bluntly put...you don't see GOM used as an effective Acoustic Transparent Screen. It serves / has served well enough when someone didn't have an alternative...but when one does, why use something else?

It can be a double layer application and still it works better than anything else AT-wise other than Open Cell Foam. It's appearance is ultra smooth, as if you sprayed on a exceptionally black surface. It will absorb light.....NOT reflect it. As stated,only the Plush Triple Velvet can match it....Velvet simply looks more luxurious.

Looking at the Left side and the Triangle, it's strikes me hard in the Gut that the Triangle (...and Left upper Side Wall...) should be painted Red. Those surfaces won't receive much light from the Screen (...ZERO as far as the Triangle...) Visually, when the Room's lights are up, the Red wrapping around the Screen Wall to the right where it disappears would look to have a decidedly better,more designer-oriented appearance.

I've told many, many people over several years that the only non-projected light the Screen wall will receive is usually the Room's own light.....with only the PJ's "reflected projected" light off surrounding surfaces even possibly ever able to strike it, if those surface are not treated to avoid such reflections. So making it look better with a dark, non reflective Red only makes good sense.
browndrake likes this.

post #23 of 26 Old 05-29-2019, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Learning new things and project transforms daily...
Carper layer had to do some repair work here on previous job so I bumped him for HT carpet install for a couple weeks, so that I can finish everything first. Fabric wont be here until next week.

I'll post pics as it finishes up. After this week things will slow down so pushing to get all done I can by Fri. (I do 33 straight 12 hr days starting Sat.)

I'll order a bit of spandex in the morning.
Quote:
It can be a double layer application and still it works better...
Does it need a double layer? Not using as screen, just to cover speaker cabinets.

Thanks again.
post #24 of 26 Old 05-30-2019, 12:14 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Learning new things and project transforms daily...
Carper layer had to do some repair work here on previous job so I bumped him for HT carpet install for a couple weeks, so that I can finish everything first. Fabric wont be here until next week.

I'll post pics as it finishes up. After this week things will slow down so pushing to get all done I can by Fri. (I do 33 straight 12 hr days starting Sat.)

I'll order a bit of spandex in the morning.

Does it need a double layer? Not using as screen, just to cover speaker cabinets.

Thanks again.

If the area behind it does not generate any light, no. A double layer is more to prevent any light from actually making it through, because the Spandex is so absorbent itself. Simply paint the insides of the Cabinets with a quick & dirty coat of that Ceiling Grey...or even that Red...whatever you have left over. If the inside surfaces of the recessed holes are themselves non-reflective, any strong light shining on a single layer will simply be absorbed and then refracted inside.

post #25 of 26 Old 05-30-2019, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. Yes, we were already planning on painting cabinets inside and out, just in case some light got through....
post #26 of 26 Old 06-13-2019, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Last couple weeks have been crazy... (working straight 12s from june 1 to july2) after work, I was working on house..slowly. In TX since yesterday until july...
Well, I shot the screen. I think it turned out pretty well. Wrapped side cabinets with velvet and installed base cabinets. (I ran out of time and didn't build the drawers yet, so you can see some white wall through them. Base cabinets are 24" deep and will have a top across full width, under the screen. That top will be wrapped with velvet also. Above the screen , there will be a shelf from side cab to side cab, the same depth as bottom shelf and wrapped in velvet. The screen fills the entire space between cabinets with no frame, however, due to depth perspective, it will appear to have a frame around the whole thing. Also, I have not yet cut out the fronts/side of the side cabinets where the front speakers go. those holes will be covers with snap in covers, covered with spandex.

I left for TX when the carpet was going down, so I have yet to seen a movie on it. My wife assures me it is really good.. crisp picture , great colors,black/whites, etc
She sent me a couple pics...that turned out so so, but post here. When I get home in July, I'll finish cabinets, install speakers and finish trimming out the room. Also, will be adding some sound panels, to side walls, over back window, and likely on from ceiling.
For some reason, my son seems to be modeling the room.

Screen ended up 120" wide.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	2579734   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	2579736   Click image for larger version

Name:	show.jpg