A "Wall" that anyone could love... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan
  • 3 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
A "Wall" that anyone could love...

I have started (...just finished actually...) another full Wall Screen application....complete with the Right & Left, and of course the Center Channel all being part of the equation.

The Wall itself is fully 16' across x 9' high, and has received the full Silver Fire v2.5 4.0 treatment. This time however I switched up the Component percentages and hence the viscosity of the Mix to be heavier bodied, resulting in it becoming just a 3 Coat process!

The intent being that this is a Format Free surface, allowing for both the 16:9 and 2.39:1 images to be "as Big as" or "as Small as" is desired....each direction limited of course to the available Throw Distance.

In the drive to make this as affordable as possible, the Projector to be installed is a gently used JVC RS440 (...acquired on the AVS Classified...) whose Lens Memory will make everything involving the optimization of each Format be as easy pressing a button.

I am using a Graco 2901 HVLP Gun with 1.5 mm Needle / Nozzle, powered by a hybrid of two Hoses...one being from a Wagner Control Spray Max and the other from the Graco 2901 Turbine. (...so the Graco Gun can be used...) Both are "splined" together to create a 35' Hose, and the Turbine used is the Wagner CSM (...for it's higher cfm air flow...)

Here's a little of the Set-up information. I set the Gun's output to the "Spot" Pattern so as to be able to effectively shoot the paint into the Corners....then reset the Pattern to a Horizontal pattern and sprayed the Bottom of the wall with successive vertical swaths that overlapped each by 50%

The first image shows the initial"Cut In" coat that applied Paint into each of the Wall's Corners, and across the Top where the Wall & Ceiling meet, as well as across the Bottom of the Wall. I then set the Gun to a Vertical Pattern and lightly sprayed the Center. The bare area is a wall Blemish I found while Cutting In, and it received a last minute daub of Compound.

The 2nd image is the 1st real Coat applied.

All will note that the wall appears to have a substantial amount of paint on it.............

At this point I want to share the Mix's change up that allowed for the covering of the Wall in 4-5 fewer "Duster" Coats. I will do so in "Silver Fire" jargon.

1.5 Quarts Of RustOleum White Pearl
16 oz RustOleum Sterling Silver
1 Quart PPG Diamond Pure White (Base 1)

1 Quart Varethane Ultimate Clear Matte Polyurethane
20 oz Water

148 oz total ( 1.26 Gallons)

While the above is intended to dispense / disperse a heavier flow of paint, it does not mean that using a variation of the Duster technique is not required. The Paint still exits the Gun quite freely because of the larger Needle / Nozzle size....

To wit.....the 2nd full Coat below shows itself to look almost "as good as it needs to be".....but don't be fooled.

The 3rd and Final Coat below shows how much darker th surface is after receiving 3 Coats.

And of course, after all that effort, and what with the Painters still to come in to paint the Walls and Ceiling a much Darker shade of Neutral Grey....I applied Plastic Masking to the entire Wall.

Hopefully they won't get too aggressive in there.

No matter what else happens, the project is moving at a rapid pace. The last image was taken yesterday (Wednesday AM) with the painting done between Monday and Tuesday. Normally all I need is 3-4 hours in a single day with 7-8 very light Duster Coats going on....but these Coats were heavier, and even with Fan assisted Drying, at this juncture what with me trying out applying fewer coats, I would not / was not taking any Chance on developing texture (Orange Peel) My initial Cut-In / Duster dried in about 60 minutes....the 1st Full-on Coat in another 90....the 2nd I let dry overnight, and the 3rd was a early AM coat. By the end of the day I put up the plastic.

I expect to take down the Plastic on Saturday, mount the Projector on a temporary stand, and preview the Wall for some very excited people....myself among them. Look to see my posted images of that go up before the end of the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A Primed Wall.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	2574880   Click image for larger version

Name:	A 1st Duster w-Repairs.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	529.3 KB
ID:	2574882   Click image for larger version

Name:	A 2nd Coat.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	476.2 KB
ID:	2574884   Click image for larger version

Name:	A 3rd Coat.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	2574886   Click image for larger version

Name:	a Room w-Paint.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	610.3 KB
ID:	2574888  

Name:	Ataped Wall Screen.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	570.3 KB
ID:	2574890   Click image for larger version

Name:	A Good Start.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	906.1 KB
ID:	2574894  
bubbrik and Low Profile like this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 06-02-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Cant wait for pics lol. Curious how you incoorperated the LCR speakers on a painted wall.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #3 of 13 Old 05-23-2019, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Cant wait for pics lol. Curious how you incorporated the LCR speakers on a painted wall.

Those Round Black Circles in the 1st image....they are Mounting Boards that have Audio Transducers that mount behind/against the Drywall and turn the Drywall surface on the outside of the wall into a accurate resonating Speaker Surface.

Check out my Signature....it links to a AVS Forum Page with many different Threads (...and examples...) on the subject. They are however not the subject at hand here.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-27-2019, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Only a token amount of painting effort expended on Sat-Mon. Something about it being a Holiday Weekend was mentioned.

One coat of the Wall & Ceiling Grey has been applied.....another goes up tomorrow. Tomorrow PM the Plastic comes down, Thursday, and if the Ceiling Mount / Ceiling Plate is here (...the big IF...) the PJ will go up temporarily for a surface check and of course....a few impromptu Screen Shots. Might go late....I can get a bit carried away with the first "reveal".

post #5 of 13 Old 06-01-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Where did my previously posted images above run off too?

Hmmm....well ok, I finally got to remove the Masking Plastic since they FINALLY painted out the other Walls & Ceiling in the darker Grey.

Hosting a Image Reveal tomorrow evening using the RS440 intended to go up. It should be quire 'revealing".

Here is a shot of the Finished Wall and the surrounding Dark Grey Paint (...it took the Painters a entire week to get around to getting the room painted out... )

Got a little Panorama going below.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Henry Theater Screen Wall.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	710.1 KB
ID:	2574668   Click image for larger version

Name:	a Room w-Paint.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	610.3 KB
ID:	2574896  
Low Profile likes this.

Last edited by MississippiMan; 06-02-2019 at 07:52 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-07-2019, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Went in last Sunday evening and hung the JVC to give it a test run....only to run up against the very first failure of the Cable Matters 25' Certified 4K HDMI Cord I have encountered over at least 10 installs.

Thoroughly "Killed my Buzz", and the one the "Other Guy" had going up to that point too.

I had a Receiver up there...one of the Subs, and a LG 4k BD-DVD so I was going to make it be great. Yeah. All I could show 'em was how big the image would be.

So sad.........

Those White HVAC Supply Grills are coming down to be painted....brook no mistake about that!

Fortunately I have complete access above on this installation, all the way over to the drop into the Equipment closet. I have obtained a replacement HDMI and have set this Sat / Sunday to have another go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JVC Up.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	2577038   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Image.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	2577040  

post #7 of 13 Old 06-17-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Everything in place

Finally.............HDMI woes fixed....manage to swing by and set up to take some Screenies while giving an impromptu Demo. Couldn't pause with company viewing so all shots are taken "in Motion".

.......except this one. PJ mounting finished:

156" diagonal

Diva.................

Put 'Em in the Parking Garage.....

Ruby Rhod

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AA Bigger PJ.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	2581332   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBoy Bruce.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2581334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diva 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	2581336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Put em in the Garage.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	2581338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruby.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	2581340  

hobbs47, xpostal and geoffrsc like this.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Looks great as usual. Diva pick is super impressive considering it is not in a fully light controlled room. I am always intrigued by the transducer setup. I tried them many years ago (mid 80's) and they did not work as advertised (at least to my ears). I am fine with my conventional speaker setup, but always wonder what I would do in a different home.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

A little additional information

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpostal View Post
Looks great as usual. Diva pick is super impressive considering it is not in a fully light controlled room.

Yeah! Between the Contrast enhancement of the paint, and the JVCs natice 130K:1 Contrast and 1900 lumen LyCos output, everything gels nicely. REAL soon there will be a sliding Barn Door covering that 5.0 Opening...and all the Ceiling Grills and Light Rings will be painted. That room will be a Black Hole then for certain. Without it being painted out in a ugly Black.

Quote:
I am always intrigued by the transducer setup. I tried them many years ago (mid 80's) and they did not work as advertised (at least to my ears). I am fine with my conventional speaker setup, but always wonder what I would do in a different home.
You Sir...could only imagine. And even then, you probably wouldn't be close as far as things can go in a system's design.

But of course, nothing can be that easy......over the years, Transducers always were heavily dependent upon two important things:

Proper Installation

Clean Signal Source w/adequate amplification

With either missing, or even lagging, they can't impress...at least not a high entertainment levels. Therin lay the primary reason/s that they use of Transducers lay essentially overlooked, if indeed not dormant.

Since 1978, every system I installed had the benefit of having power to spare. Of course that meant that even oldsters building homes in retirement communities got hooked up with early Harmon Kardon separates, or beefy Yamaha Amps w/Pre-Amps. I made some aging Hippies pretty happy! In the 80's, from about 85' on, I was a Pioneer Elite advocate, as they were about the only Mfg that had consistently decent 4 ohm Output capability...and soon after AC3 with equally powered channels. I ate that up!

Anyway....once Projectors became less pricey than 70" RPTVS, it didn't take me long to make my Center Channel the Screen. I was never Acoustically Transparent. The Screen produced the sound! My first was back in 1997, and got really going after In-Focus came out with the X1. That was just around the time I joined AVS, looking for tips on Painting screens. Things kinda got out of hand quickly....nothing was ever "good enough"...it always had to get better. And it did. DIY Screens went from making inexpensive PJs look like expensive ones, to making "any PJ" look better.

Bluntly put....it has always been a huge amount of fun and brought a great deal of satisfaction to watch the Jaws drop and the Eyes pop, especially with newcomers to A/V who had no clue.
xpostal likes this.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Maurice!

Getting ready to pray my "screen wall" and wondered about a few things. I am intrigued with the resukts you have achieved, but my sheerock and plaster are in place and I am looking at a 13'10" wide wall, which needs to accommodate two of these https://www.wisdomaudio.com/wp-conte...with-ms1.1.pdf Wisdom in wall 75i Sage series speakers for L&R (phantom center). Have you ever tried to use spandex as a sort of insert to cover an in wall-recessed as you can see in the PDF, speaker, whilst "spraying" the contiguous wall? Each speaker's medial edge will be approximately 18" from each corner. You are a clever rascal and maybe have skinned this cat before. If so, and you have the inclination, please advise. I am thinlking of a framed insert, so to say, with and unknown epoxy-2 part bond at the edge or maybe 5 minute mud or...

On another note, for the Home depot PPG Pure white, is Flat the same as (Base1), which I can't find there?

Can't get Lowes to ship any Rustoleum to me, so are these the right items, from Amazon?

Rust-Oleum 253611 Metallic Accents Paint, Quart, White Pearl

One of these Modern Masters ME150-32 Metallic Silver, 32-Ounce or 8 of these2 ozers Rust-Oleum 255269 Metallic Accents Paint, 2 oz Trial Size, Sterling Silver-can't find a larger container of the latter.

Finally, I see 100 cc of distilled H20 for the colorant (utensils?) is that 100cc added to the mix of hues called out as part of the required list of components, even if not using utensils-no cleaning?

Thank you very much

FURY
post #11 of 13 Old 06-20-2019, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgtfury View Post
Hi Maurice!

Getting ready to pray my "screen wall" and wondered about a few things. I am intrigued with the resukts you have achieved, but my sheerock and plaster are in place and I am looking at a 13'10" wide wall, which needs to accommodate two of these https://www.wisdomaudio.com/wp-conte...with-ms1.1.pdf Wisdom in wall 75i Sage series speakers for L&R (phantom center). Have you ever tried to use spandex as a sort of insert to cover an in wall-recessed as you can see in the PDF, speaker, whilst "spraying" the contiguous wall? Each speaker's medial edge will be approximately 18" from each corner. You are a clever rascal and maybe have skinned this cat before. If so, and you have the inclination, please advise. I am thinlking of a framed insert, so to say, with and unknown epoxy-2 part bond at the edge or maybe 5 minute mud or...

Yes...the Spandex has been used quite often as a AT covering for Speaker arrays alone. It can be done so as to look almost seamlessly invisible if the color of the Wall is matched to that of the Spandex used.

Quote:
On another note, for the Home depot PPG Pure white, is Flat the same as (Base1), which I can't find there?
Yes.....

Quote:
Can't get Lowes to ship any Rustoleum to me, so are these the right items, from Amazon?

Rust-Oleum 253611 Metallic Accents Paint, Quart, White Pearl
Yes

Quote:
One of these Modern Masters ME150-32 Metallic Silver, 32-Ounce or 8 of these2 ozers Rust-Oleum 255269 Metallic Accents Paint, 2 oz Trial Size, Sterling Silver-can't find a larger container of the latter.
Hmmmm...doesn't seem to currently be available on Amazon. When I checked on the Lowes site it said delivery was available. ???? It certainly was available in-store. Also @ Lowes On-Line
https://www.lowes.com/pd/rust-oleum-...ents-32-fl-oz/

You can also try Menards

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/i...4452980349.htm

In a pinch, the Modern Masters can be used....
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Master...dp/B0050BSGAA/

Quote:
Finally, I see 100 cc of distilled H20 for the colorant (utensils?) is that 100cc added to the mix of hues called out as part of the required list of components, even if not using utensils-no cleaning?
Yes.....it is used to dilute the Tints so that they blend together evenly,as well as make the Colorant mix itself blend easily when added to the Reflective / Viscosity Mix combo.

post #12 of 13 Old 06-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Maurice!

Thanks so much!

I see that on post #7 above, there is no apparent baseboard, whilst post #5 appears to show one. Did the baseboard in #5 stay and, if so, what paint was used on that please, such that it is not visible on #&?

SO, the Lowe's link, as Michael said in that obscure movie, "Dead to me." I called the Pro desk at my local Lowe's and they said the metallic Sterling silver is not even at my closet distribution center. They are researching whether I can order it on line (currently unavailable to meat my current location) as an exception or they can get it brought to the closest Lowe's to me. If the latter, they better hurray up, for my sake, as with that algorithm, no wonder a whole $*@%load of Lowe's stores have closed. We'll see...

I sanded, with my Deros Mirka 6" pads, the target screen wall flat, but "burned" through the plaster- paper much and put some joint compound over that, which dried, was at least two shades whiter than the sanded wall. Now, I read that you expounded the need for translucency of the white under the sprayed screen paint and, short of skim coats-if needed, would a white primer, say be a good idea/other brighter white?

Thank you very much

FURY
post #13 of 13 Old 06-21-2019, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgtfury View Post
Hi Maurice!

Thanks so much!

I see that on post #7 above, there is no apparent baseboard, whilst post #5 appears to show one. Did the baseboard in #5 stay and, if so, what paint was used on that please, such that it is not visible on #&?
The front wall Baseboard did not get painted yet because it needs to be removed and re-positioned. The Base Trim / Doors & Jams in the Room will all be painted in a Flat Enamel (Oil Based) that matches the Wall / Ceiling color. All Plates as well.

Quote:
SO, the Lowe's link, as Michael said in that obscure movie, "Dead to me." I called the Pro desk at my local Lowe's and they said the metallic Sterling silver is not even at my closet distribution center. They are researching whether I can order it on line (currently unavailable to meat my current location) as an exception or they can get it brought to the closest Lowe's to me. If the latter, they better hurray up, for my sake, as with that algorithm, no wonder a whole $*@%load of Lowe's stores have closed. We'll see...
I'm not sure what the issue is with availability...unless they are bleeding away all current stock before a Re-Branded roll-out or switch to a different Product. I have always tried to make sure a suitable supply chain of worthy alternatives to the commercial ingredients in Black Flame were readily available....and for 14 years have managed it. But there have been hiccups.

Modern Masters is a decent alternative....just not as effective as the Rust-Oleum. One tends to have to use more...and then things can get a bit skewered.

Quote:
I sanded, with my Deros Mirka 6" pads, the target screen wall flat, but "burned" through the plaster- paper much and put some joint compound over that, which dried, was at least two shades whiter than the sanded wall. Now, I read that you expounded the need for translucency of the white under the sprayed screen paint and, short of skim coats-if needed, would a white primer, say be a good idea/other brighter white?
Absewlootlee! I suggest Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 Water Based, sprayed . You can spray it on (Silver Fire-like) diluted, using several coats and use the experience to develop your Duster technique, or use a 1.5mm Needle and slight dilution and do the same with at least 3 Thin coats. Some "HAND SANDING" will probably be needed before a final coat of Primer is applied.

And.....apply a very light amount of primer on any newly applied Drywall Compond area first. This helps seal that specific area first before any heavier applications go on, and that allows for a perfectly even primed coat.

If those over-sanded areas are now blended smoothly into the exiting surface, and the rest of the wall is pristine, then a skim coat would be redundant. Just examine the wall again (...before you Prime) from every direction using a bright light held across the surface, and decide if any more spots need to be addressed. If so, and dependent how many...then you might consider a Skin coat.

Quote:
Thank you very much

FURY
YVW!!! I'll look forward to an update................and always ask a question before, not after. You doing great so far!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page