I need a screen that will reflect as much light back at me as possible - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-25-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I need a screen that will reflect as much light back at me as possible

I need a screen paint that will reflect as much light back as possible yet still give me good contrast. Is this possible? This is for a large format curved screen with an aggressive curvature. Screen is 16 feet across but curved into an 8 foot diameter so the curvature is aggressive. I need light reflected back so that the individual in the middle gets light bounced back at them for illumination purposes.

What screen paint mix should I use to accomplish this. I need the cockpit to get ambient light from the simulation.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-25-2019, 08:34 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked: 1601
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
To do what / all that you want in a Painted solution, you will need both a dark Grey and highly Reflective surface.....the latter almost solidly into the Retro-Reflective range.

Been there...done that years ago. Why not now? Because in any such case, DIY or Mfg...there are caveats we / I as DIY Screen advocates don't like, or won't tolerate.

• A decided Grainy look to the image, especially in lighter content areas (Sky...light Pastels...Flesh Tones...)
  • Overt Retro Reflectivity. This will be the lessor issue in your application...except for the next point.
  • Projector Positioning ( extremely critical if Retro Reflectivity is used )
Three important things for you to make clear:

1. What is / are the PJ/s being used?

2. What Material is to be used for a screen surface?

3. Just how much Ambient Light is there to deal with (Level of, and Type/Source/direction)

How about usage / content?

There is / are solutions.....but to select the best one...even a compromised one, more input is needed.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 4 Old 05-26-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
To do what / all that you want in a Painted solution, you will need both a dark Grey and highly Reflective surface.....the latter almost solidly into the Retro-Reflective range.

Been there...done that years ago. Why not now? Because in any such case, DIY or Mfg...there are caveats we / I as DIY Screen advocates don't like, or won't tolerate.

• A decided Grainy look to the image, especially in lighter content areas (Sky...light Pastels...Flesh Tones...)
  • Overt Retro Reflectivity. This will be the lessor issue in your application...except for the next point.
  • Projector Positioning ( extremely critical if Retro Reflectivity is used )
Three important things for you to make clear:

1. What is / are the PJ/s being used?

3 projectors using warping software

2. What Material is to be used for a screen surface?
Polycarbonate type material

3. Just how much Ambient Light is there to deal with (Level of, and Type/Source/direction)
Ambient light is totally controlled for now. Can be fully bright or total darkness. For this prototype its a completely light controlled environment. Once this goes into production it will more than likely be used in a convention center type environment.

How about usage / content?
Automotive simulation, heavy industry, aerospace, military

There is / are solutions.....but to select the best one...even a compromised one, more input is needed.
Answers above in your quote.

Any help is appreciated. I’m great at engineering mechanical solutions but the image is a tad more challenging.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-26-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Here is my prototype just so you’re familiar with my work so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page