Help with my AT Spandex screen build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-28-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Help with my AT Spandex screen build

I recently built a 7.0.4 home theater in our attic. I'm currently using a 120" 16x9 Carl's Place flexiwhite screen because I could use it indoors most of the year and break it down in the summer for outdoor movie nights. The one downside of this screen is that my center channel is nearly on the floor (though it is aimed up at the listening position.) I've since become interested in an AT screen that would allow me to place my center channel behind the screen.

It seems like building at AT screen with spandex is fairly simple. I have a few questions.

If I build the frame out of 1x4 poplar with the edge facing the audience, how would I attach black felt tape?
How many vertical braces should I use? 1x3 poplar I assume.
While the room is light controlled, the walls are white. I'm unwilling to paint the room dark. Anything I should be aware of with an AT spandex screen?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-28-2019, 05:34 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked: 1815
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
First and foremost....what Projector is being used and where / how is it placed?

You are correct in your assumption that building a Spandex Screen is relatively easy.....it is just that certain aspects of the build be done correctly.

However the answers involving the Projector and it's properties are fairly critical in determining things like screen size, and Projector placement.....both in and of themselves extremely important if one is to achieve the best possible performance / image quality.

Sidelights that can then be addressed are the placement of the Center Channels, and often the Right & Left Mains / Sub behind the Screen /Screen Wall.

Lastly, the proximity of your Side Walls and ceiling to the proposed Screen area must be considered, so having the measurements of the room in those areas is also important.

So.....give 'em up!

................and we'll get things started! Those other build-related items come after the determinations are madeas to exactly what type / style / size of Spandex Screen will be ideally suited to your situation.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 19 Old 05-28-2019, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using a BenQ MH530FHD that is 13', screen to lens. Seating position is 10' from the screen.

My JBL Studio 590 fronts are too big to fit behind the screen so they are on the side of the screen. The JBL Studio 520c center will go behind the screen. You can see the room layout in this image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Theater (1st floor) 190310094153_1559099787167.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2572952  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-29-2019, 07:34 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
I'm using a BenQ MH530FHD that is 13', screen to lens. Seating position is 10' from the screen.

My JBL Studio 590 fronts are too big to fit behind the screen so they are on the side of the screen. The JBL Studio 520c center will go behind the screen. You can see the room layout in this image.

OK...the MH530FHD has the lumen horses to provide an excellent image on the 0.7 gain spandex ....26 fl @ 13' throw. However if the current Screen is set against the Wall, the fact that the 520c will require at minimum that the AT Screen be situated at minimum 9" off the screen wall. Fortunately the MH530FHD has enough zoom capability to allow you to maintain the original PJ position.

The JBLs come in at just a whisker under 13" wide, and 16.25" deep, so including the slight amount of necessary toe-in and wall stand off (sides and rear) their faces would be / should be approx. 20" minimum off the rear wall and 16" to the inside.

That leaves us with an available 9' and even with any added width for a Frame (2"each side) your 120" screen size can be maintained. (104"x 59" image...108" x 63" Frame)

Due to the disparity between the depth of the R & L 590s and the 520c, and the available set Throw distance, your Screen design can only be along the lines of a "H" or "Goal Post" type assembly, supported at Top and Bottom by 2 x 4s attached to Ceiling and Floor. (...if a 120" screen size is to be maintained.

For the Screen Support Frame you would need:

2 - 2x4x10' Top & Bottom Plates..."hand picked Kiln-Dried select Pine" " for having no twists or bows.

4 - 1x4x10' Clear Poplar Boards for the vertical and horizontal braces
1 - 1x4x8' Clear Poplar Board for Inter-spaced short Verticals

The Screen Frame itself is a simple, Flat Frame built of 1x3's using a perimeter of 1/2" quarter Round as a Material stand-off. Minimal Interior Supports would be required since the Screen could be attached all around the Perimeter Frame Work with Finish Nails.

3 - 1x3x10' Clear Poplar Boards
2 - 1x3x 8' Clear Poplar Boards

This should be a good start for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor to Ceiling Supportive Frame.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	2573048   Click image for larger version

Name:	120 inch Flat Poplar Screen Frame w- material Standoff -2019.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	2573050  

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 19 Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know that my projector should work well. The screen will have to hang from the ceiling though via eye hooks. The screen hangs about 20 inches from the wall.

Should I go with a flat frame or edge frame?
post #6 of 19 Old 05-29-2019, 08:12 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Good to know that my projector should work well. The screen will have to hang from the ceiling though via eye hooks. The screen hangs about 20 inches from the wall.

For a "Hanger"you should switch over to a "On Edge" design. Do you need a diagram?

post #7 of 19 Old 05-29-2019, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Quote:

For a "Hanger"you should switch over to a "On Edge" design. Do you need a diagram?
That would be amazing. Also do you suggest doing a black felt border?
post #8 of 19 Old 05-29-2019, 09:32 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
That would be amazing. Also do you suggest doing a black felt border?

With that PJ I would suggest at least a 2" Velvet Border....and the Screen placement (Height) can be adjusted to suit the projected image (...as relates to the PJ's drop and where the PJ's lens is Centered.)

Your Diagram, Sir Chunk:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a 1x3 120 inch on Edge Screen Frame.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	2573084  

post #9 of 19 Old 05-29-2019, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
With that PJ I would suggest at least a 2" Velvet Border....and the Screen placement (Height) can be adjusted to suit the projected image (...as relates to the PJ's drop and where the PJ's lens is Centered.)

Your Diagram, Sir Chunk:

Should I wrap the spandex around the edge frame and then apply the MDF to the front? Also, what kind of MDF should I be looking for? The only 1/2" stuff I saw at Home Depot was 8ft in length and I'll need it longer than that.

Last edited by CaptainChunk; 05-29-2019 at 02:54 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Should I wrap the spandex around the edge frame and then apply the MDF to the front? Also, what kind of MDF should I be looking for? The only 1/2" stuff I saw at Home Depot was 8ft in length and I'll need it longer than that.

Yes....wrap the spandex around the edge...the Velvet Wrapped Mdf applies over the top of the spandex wrapped edge.

Here's a tutorial on wrapping spandex on Mdf Base Trim. BYW...your either not looking at the right location or your looking online and of course the only lengths they can ship max out at 8'. Go into the Millwork Section and collar some help and ask for 3.25" x 15/32" Mdf Base Board....it comes in up to 16' lengths you can cut to order in the store.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/865218-wrapping-black-velvet-trim-mitered-butt-joined-ends.html

post #11 of 19 Old 05-31-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes....wrap the spandex around the edge...the Velvet Wrapped Mdf applies over the top of the spandex wrapped edge.

Here's a tutorial on wrapping spandex on Mdf Base Trim. BYW...your either not looking at the right location or your looking online and of course the only lengths they can ship max out at 8'. Go into the Millwork Section and collar some help and ask for 3.25" x 15/32" Mdf Base Board....it comes in up to 16' lengths you can cut to order in the store.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/865218-wrapping-black-velvet-trim-mitered-butt-joined-ends.html
Thanks for the help. I'm going to get some materials and see if I can start the build this weekend.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

I assume that it isn't the end of the world if my internal dimension for the screen is off a quarter inch. I'm at like 59x103.75.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-11-2019, 07:11 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

OMG...........

The Apocalypse is upon us!

You'll be fine since that discrepancy amounts to being just 1/8" off on both sides.

post #14 of 19 Old 06-11-2019, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OMG...........

The Apocalypse is upon us!

You'll be fine since that discrepancy amounts to being just 1/8" off on both sides.
Ha. I'm not the best builder out there, but with some help, I think I can get there. Hope to have my frame completed in the next day or two.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-11-2019, 01:19 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
I assume that it isn't the end of the world if my internal dimension for the screen is off a quarter inch. I'm at like 59x103.75.

Hmmmm....I can hear the Hoof beats of a Grey Horse...maybe.

Just kidding. I revisited this because I made a slight "overlook" on another Thread. But no issues here....your measurements are easily within the safe boundaries, and so close that if you hang the screen unframed and hit it with you best sized image, you can install the Trim to suit....probably by simply shortening the Height a very small fraction.

My original optimistic appraisal still stands.....your probably going to be around to enjoy the Show.

post #16 of 19 Old 06-20-2019, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

I should be building my frame this weekend. Is there a reason I don't just space the middle supports equally across the frame?
post #17 of 19 Old 06-20-2019, 09:14 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
I should be building my frame this weekend. Is there a reason I don't just space the middle supports equally across the frame?

The extra width at center serves to allow the insertion of a feasibly wide "single" French Cleat. If the space was equally divided, you would have to use two French Cleats.

In your instance, when hanging by Hook & Eyes, you could move the two inward supports in a bit closer, but I'd still advise a bit of offset so that the frame area at each Eye attachment is structurally as rigid as possible.

post #18 of 19 Old 06-28-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Finally got around to finishing my screen last night at 2am and it is awesome. Thanks for all of the help.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-28-2019, 10:47 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Finally got around to finishing my screen last night at 2am and it is awesome. Thanks for all of the help.

Your Phone's text program is posting non-intelligible and superfluous characters again.......

Kinda got the drift though...you got your Screen project finished. Well..........around here, if you don't post images and some details of your experience................it never happened.

So let us see your finished project, any build images you might have taken, and lastly...some magnificent Screen Shots!

A whole "Chunk" of 'em please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page