AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Screen Section (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/)
-   -   DIY Masking Wide screen (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/3075056-diy-masking-wide-screen.html)

gil393 06-24-2019 11:00 AM

DIY Masking Wide screen

I'd like to add velvet masking to my fixed height screen to use when watching wide format movies. I'm not sure how to do build this. The screen is 14'6" wide so plywood or even 10' sheet goods are out of the question.

Is it as simple as using two pieces of 1/4 plywood with metal plates joining them and perhaps a few 16' 1x4s or 2x2s to stiffen the assembly. The velvet going over the 1x4 would probably not be too visible or annoying. This is the best I can come up with if anybody has tried this any thoughts on what works and what doesn't is greatly appreciated.

MississippiMan 06-24-2019 03:52 PM

What PJ are you using?
Lens Shift.......

What size screen? (OK...just saw 14'.6" wide)

Two things......I read where you were considering a 5050? Despite what some have said, if your Throw can be set at 20' and you use a Screen surface of 1.1 gain, you'll get 24 fl to start out with, and even with Lamp Dimming, a 200" diagonal screen putting out 16 fl across it's surface is a real light producer! 16 fl equates to being 58 nit....well within accepted norms

Masking options are a challenge without Vertical Lens Shift. If you have / get it, you can use a single length of Black Velvet attached to a 15' 2 x4 ripped to 2x3(2.75") that can rest on L-Brackets. Sadly, there isn't going to a much in the way of a Retractable Roller assembly available.....manual or motorized, and any composite Panel Assembly will weigh too much.

In any case, doing Top & Bottom Masks on a screen that size (width) would be an exercise in frustration...perhaps even failure. Shifting the image down and hanging a Curtain-like Mask....much MUCH easier.

gil393 06-25-2019 06:44 PM

Thanks for the ideas. It didn't occur to me to move the image. Also, now that you mention it, top and bottom is an issue, especially top.

I am using a single Projection Design DVision 30 XC. Horizontal lens shift went out, thankfully it was centered at the time, but motorized vertical is still working. I get 14fl with brilliant color on, but a grayscale ramp has banding and very light pinks and green color tones. Sports and action movies it is not an issue. Movies with snow and white shadows can get a bit distracting, too me at least. Without BC the grayscale ramp is perfect but the image is a bit dim. I have a second one of these projectors and was thinking of possibly stacking them. Screen is DIY AT Centerstage XD. Speakers are in the the upper 2/3rds so shifting the image down might be an issue. Also, the top of the screen is about 14' in the air and climbing up on scaffolding to put on the masking is a no go. I totally didn't think of that.

How about moving the image up to the top and hanging the velvet from the bottom of the image. Will the thickness of the 2x3 at that bottom of the image, top of the mask, be a distraction? I was thinking of using magnets to mount the mask so that slight adjustments could be made. Yes/No? The ones I have are rare earth and hold 10+ pounds.

Again, thanks for the help and saving me from trying something dumb.

craigmohead 06-26-2019 01:01 PM

I'm not 100% sure this will work for you, but this is the best DIY masking solution I've seen, at least for top and bottom bars:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...djustable.html

ScottAvery 06-26-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gil393 (Post 58221398)
I'd like to add velvet masking to my fixed height screen to use when watching wide format movies. I'm not sure how to do build this. The screen is 14'6" wide so plywood or even 10' sheet goods are out of the question.

Is it as simple as using two pieces of 1/4 plywood with metal plates joining them and perhaps a few 16' 1x4s or 2x2s to stiffen the assembly. The velvet going over the 1x4 would probably not be too visible or annoying. This is the best I can come up with if anybody has tried this any thoughts on what works and what doesn't is greatly appreciated.

It is easier to mask the top only as you don't have to worry about covering a 14 foot span with a material thin enough to be used as a mask as you can simply weight a drape. Given the extreme height I'd recommend having it on pulleys so you can raise and lower it from the ground.

If you do want to mask the bottom, I have seen a build that uses aluminum U channel to reinforce the mask to reduce flex across the span.