Fully Enclosed Rear Projection Screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 12 Old 07-03-2019, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Fully Enclosed Rear Projection Screen?

I'm trying to decide between DIY paint or rear protection and I'm hoping you all can help me out.

I had an idea to build essentially a giant rear projection to TV. RP screen built on a frame fully covered with blackout fabric. Would I be able to use that in a fully lit room or would I still need ambient light rejection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-04-2019, 07:09 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
A do-it-yourself rear projection system like you are considering would have to involve using materials which are not lenticular. Such as more conventional rear projection materials or the do-it-yourself standby, spandex. With these materials in mind the light that you provide from the rear is going to be among the most important aspect of your build. You would want to use a Ultra short throw projector. If not then you would have to employ a first surface mirror and that will start to get expensive.

For ambient light resistance you could go with a dual-layer White Under Grey application. The initial white layer would optimize your colors and your whites and deliver that initial image to the gray layer for penetration into the room. The second gray layer in turn will help to deepen your black floor and enrichen your colors.

But again all of this will require substantial lumen. Painting a flexible or rigid surface will be ridiculously less complex and more assured of ambient light performance. The choice is yours... Choose your poison and you'll get all the help you need pouring it right down your throat. :-)

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 12 Old 07-04-2019, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

@MississippiMan sorry, I should have mentioned that I have an LG PF100U. I'm not sure how familiar you are with that particular model but it's a UST projector LG says it has "up to 1,000 lumens, based on perceived brightness."

Last edited by R.T. Barshaw; 07-04-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-05-2019, 07:24 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T. Barshaw View Post
@MississippiMan sorry, I should have mentioned that I have an LG PF100U. I'm not sure how familiar you are with that particular model but it's a UST projector LG says it has "up to 1,000 lumens, based on perceived brightness."

I am quite familiar with it...as well as being familiar with the fact that in 2018 you posted about having one...as well as already having the DIY RPTV screen that your referencing as being something your "considering". Why do that when it's already in your possession?
xpostal likes this.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 12 Old 07-05-2019, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Quote:

I am quite familiar with it...as well as being familiar with the fact that in 2018 you posted about having one...as well as already having the DIY RPTV screen that your referencing as being something your "considering". [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG] Why do that when it's already in your possession?
I attempted back then and was a little over confident in my abilities. The project fell to the back burner for a while due to life getting in the way.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-05-2019, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

I've made like six posts since this account was created several years ago, why do you think I would have any idea what you've been up to our any problems with Kenneth Byrd? I haven't been here. I don't know. Just like I didn't know about any accusations against him until very recently.... which led me to Google... which in turn led me here. Or back here I guess, since I had an account that I created and then immedately forgot about. Like I already said.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-07-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
i could be wrong, but i don't think making a RP DIY system with a '1000 lumen' projector is going to be at all useful in anything but a black hole.

I've seen how much light passes through on a spandex screen, and i would say it's doable, but there is no ambient light rejection, and i feel it would take a lot of work, money, and/or space to control the light inside the 'projection box' to make sure it only hits the screen once. in my 12 x 25 space i have noticeably worse ansi contrast because of how much light bounces off the wall and back onto the screen.

and if you just throw more lumens at it to combat the ambient light, the problem of controlling the reflections only gets worse.

if your goal is to do something nobody has done before, the RP would be interesting. But if the best PQ for your money/time is the concern, i think there's a reason nobody else is doing it

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #8 of 12 Old 07-07-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
It looks as if deceptive advice was given to other forum members in the post below from last September that this setup was already performing well when it fact it was just a pipe dream that likely would not have worked anywhere near as well as claimed:

Quote:
If you don't *need* 4K then you can always do what I did: Get one of LG's ultra short throw projectors, get a rear projection screen/film and build an enclosure for it. It's similar to the old RPTVs. But I've got a 150" screen with my LG PF1000 that I can use in a fully lit room.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-07-2019, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
It looks as if deceptive advice was given to other forum members in the post below from last September that this setup was already performing well when it fact it was just a pipe dream that likely would not have worked anywhere near as well as claimed:

Quote:
If you don't *need* 4K then you can always do what I did: Get one of LG's ultra short throw projectors, get a rear projection screen/film and build an enclosure for it. It's similar to the old RPTVs. But I've got a 150" screen with my LG PF1000 that I can use in a fully lit room.
Like I said, I was a little too over confident in my abilities and in the Carl's rear projection screen that I bought off Amazon.

I really don't understand why this is such a weird issue. I tried something, it didn't work. Then life and other financial obligations got in the way. Now I've got some time and I'm looking for advice on how to do it right.

I should not have said that the project was compete and working until it was done. That was a mistake. I admit that and I'm sorry I did it. Like I've said several times now, I was overconfident and sure it would work. I was wrong. I was wrong to just assume that it would work and I was wedding to make that post.

But still, I really don't understand why there is so much suspicion and questioning. I'm not trying to sell anything. All I did was ask for help.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-08-2019, 04:22 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

I inserted your all your missing "S" 's

Quote:
Like I said, I was a little too over confident in my abilities and in the Carl's rear projection screen that I bought off Amazon.

I really don't understand why this is such a weird issue. I tried something, it didn't work. Then life and other financial obligations got in the way. Now I've got some time and I'm looking for advice on how to do it right.
No one would ever fault you for doing so...........but*

Quote:
I should not have said that the project was; compete and working until it was done. That was a mistake. I admit that and I'm sorry I did it. Like I've said several times now, I was overconfident and sure it would work. I was wrong. I was wrong to just assume that it would work and I was wrong to make that post.
Therein lies the reason for the response you received. This DIY Forum depends upon honest evaluations, and the relating of correct procedures. It's all too frequently that dissemination of incorrect or purposefully misleading information is done intentionally...as also are the times when fellows like Kenneth come aboard incognito to either promote something or create disharmony....or both. This IS a Forum dealing with helping others, and it resides on the Worlds largest A/V Forum Platform, so it carries with it a responsibility that is just a bit more valued than almost any other.

For my own part, your apology is accepted. Truthfully speaking, even among the Forum regulars there is seldom seen such "sorrys' let alone abject admissions of being "wrong" .

Quote:
But still, I really don't understand why there is so much suspicion and questioning. I'm not trying to sell anything. All I did was ask for help.
In believing everything else you've said, that includes your lack of knowledge of this Forum's History....as well as the intrusions it has suffered. They have not been pleasant, and yeah...we tend to watch out a bit for the telltale signs someone is scamming or posting untruthful information. Suspicion founded in actual experiences is not paranoia.....it's a prudent value. Your postings clicked on all the switches, so that's the reason you were called out.

.............and it didn't do your case any good by even mentioning Kenneth and his crazy stuff. My shoulders still tighten up at the thought of being mistaken for him.

But it's now the past...so why not move on and let's go forward and see if you can actually get something of worth accomplished? I'm bettin' we can!

post #11 of 12 Old 07-08-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Quote:
… I should not have said that the project was compete and working until it was done. That was a mistake. I admit that and I'm sorry I did it. ...
Sincerely admitting a mistake and apologizing for it is a great way to regain fellow forum members' trust, so this is much appreciated.

To your original question, rear projection is only rarely favored over front projection. That's because front projection has fewer issues overall. Even with ambient light in the room it's possible to get a better overall image with front projection than rear. This is especially true with a weak 1,000-lumen LED projector on a large 150" screen. You would be looking at a screen brightness of <10fL which is a little dim even in a pitch black room. Any brightness lost from projecting through a rear projection material would make it even worse.

Ideally with a low lumen projector on a large screen you would want a front projection screen with some gain that would raise screen brightness to more than the minimum recommended 14fL in the dark. The more ambient light in the room the more screen gain you would need to avoid image washout. A fully lit room without properly managed ambient light can be a challenge for projectors three or four times brighter than yours on a 150" screen.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-08-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Back to the topic, even RPTVs needed light control, but you might get away with localized light control so long as there is no light aimed directly at your screen. Reducing reflections from walls would help, too. Construction of the screen itself should be trivial, essentially building a false wall and a DIY frame to mount on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page