Noob looking for paint suggestion - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Noob looking for paint suggestion

Let me start of by saying I have been reading all the posts in here for the last couple of days and my mind is blown with the amount of knowledge in here.

The reason I started looking in here was that I built a simple theater area several years ago in my basement. I had a 720P Benq projector and was showing it on a 100" section of wall that I painted. The paint recipe was from a website that had an article "Painting the Perfect Screen for$100". I used that paint and was mostly happy with it except I had some graininess and sparkliness that I could see in the brighter scene. The graininess and sparkliness are even more pronounced with a brighter 1080P projector (Optima HD27e) I recently upgraded to.

So I was happy enough until a couple of months ago my basement flooded and the fix required my walls to come down so the floor could be busted up. Well the floor is fixed and new walls are going back up here very soon.

Since I have a brighter projector and as the saying goes "go big or go home" I decided to up the screen size to 150"

The projector will be mounted from a 7 foot ceiling 13 feet from the screen. The 2 main seating spots are 14 feet away. Being in the basement I can control the lighting and watch movies in almost complete darkness. The ceiling is painted a flat black and the new walls will be painted a flat or matte grey. The new carpeting will also be some type of grey. And as much as I hate this, I will have to use a roller when painting.

I plan on using the 3D capabilities of the projector on occasion but will mostly watch action movies and music concerts in 2D. I would like better blacks this time around. According to the measured specs I found online this is how it preforms.
Optoma HD27e ANSI Lumens

MODE Bright Eco
Bright 2551 1652
Cinema 806 522
Game 1250 809
Reference 669 433
Vivid 1349 873

I planned on using Cinema mode in Eco but have no issues changing it for the best picture.

So if anyone was able to read through all of this can you please suggest what the best paint mixture would be to use. I was leaning towards using

Rustoleum Metallic Accents – White Pearl 32 oz.
Rustoleum Metallic Accents – Sterling Silver 10oz.
PPG Diamond Flat 20 oz.
Rustoleum's Ultimate Polyurethane Matte Finish (water based) 20 oz.
Distilled Water 32 oz.
With maybe adding a couple ounces of Neutral formula in the 105/105/105 if it's suggested.

Thanks
Kevin Wright is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 07:12 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 21,751
Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3512 Post(s)
Liked: 1636
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Hi...


That Mix will certainly do what your hoping for, but it does have to be sprayed on.


Good news is that you can apply it directly onto the old SW Screen after a thorough but very light "sweep sanding" using a Large Fine / Medium Grit Sanding Sponge.


As far as adding the Neutral Dark Grey....I strongly suggest you do so by tinting the Quart of PPG Diamond first, then adding in the 20 oz.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Hi...


That Mix will certainly do what your hoping for, but it does have to be sprayed on.


Good news is that you can apply it directly onto the old SW Screen after a thorough but very light "sweep sanding" using a Large Fine / Medium Grit Sanding Sponge.


As far as adding the Neutral Dark Grey....I strongly suggest you do so by tinting the Quart of PPG Diamond first, then adding in the 20 oz.
Since I will not be able to spray and have to use a roller, what would you suggest for that?
Kevin Wright is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The reason I was leaning towards that was from an earlier post where you suggested this paint for rolling.
2/6/19 - Screen Help! Darker Paint Options for RS-MM-LL v2.5?
Kevin Wright is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 02:00 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 21,751
Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3512 Post(s)
Liked: 1636
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
The reason I was leaning towards that was from an earlier post where you suggested this paint for rolling.
2/6/19 - Screen Help! Darker Paint Options for RS-MM-LL v2.5?
That is in fact the one version that can be rolled. Still, it is a thin mix, and must be rolled on extremely well. Max. only 1 Back roll per row with the back roll overlapping the laid-down edge only 1" or so....knowing how to work that wet edge.....getting the Roller Cover's load right so you can do 1 vertical Row w/Back roll Bottom to Top without feathering out at the end of the row.

But no more.......usually a 3/8" Nap high quality Roller is up to the task of laying down a 64" to70" swath. But ya gotta be consistent.

The Mix has enough metallic content in it that if it gets pressed out too heavily, the Pearl &Silver Particles will get flattened out. The Pear is a lessor issue than the Silver because a preponderance of silver Mirrors all lined up and flat toyou eye would create a pronounced Grain,something your wanting to get far away from.

Because of the Poly and Water, at application the metallic content is pretty loosely contained. So what you want to do when Rolling is NOT overwork the surface.
A light, quick roll out......step back and apply a clean Fan to the Wall asap as this shrinks the Paint quickly and prevent texture and sheening.


So it can be done...has been done 100s of times. BYRMV dependent upon you skills and choice of gear. (HQ Roller Covers...Ball Bearing Roller Wand...) Virtually nothing remotely as concerning applies to spraying, ..... a rank novice can produce virtual perfection with the minimal amout of On-Line training, and these days the Electric HVLP Gun /s one might choose from are not expensive at all


So now...what's this nonsense about not being able to spray?

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
That is in fact the one version that can be rolled. Still, it is a thin mix, and must be rolled on extremely well. Max. only 1 Back roll per row with the back roll overlapping the laid-down edge only 1" or so....knowing how to work that wet edge.....getting the Roller Cover's load right so you can do 1 vertical Row w/Back roll Bottom to Top without feathering out at the end of the row.

But no more.......usually a 3/8" Nap high quality Roller is up to the task of laying down a 64" to70" swath. But ya gotta be consistent.

The Mix has enough metallic content in it that if it gets pressed out too heavily, the Pearl &Silver Particles will get flattened out. The Pear is a lessor issue than the Silver because a preponderance of silver Mirrors all lined up and flat toyou eye would create a pronounced Grain,something your wanting to get far away from.

Because of the Poly and Water, at application the metallic content is pretty loosely contained. So what you want to do when Rolling is NOT overwork the surface.
A light, quick roll out......step back and apply a clean Fan to the Wall asap as this shrinks the Paint quickly and prevent texture and sheening.


So it can be done...has been done 100s of times. BYRMV dependent upon you skills and choice of gear. (HQ Roller Covers...Ball Bearing Roller Wand...) Virtually nothing remotely as concerning applies to spraying, ..... a rank novice can produce virtual perfection with the minimal amout of On-Line training, and these days the Electric HVLP Gun /s one might choose from are not expensive at all


So now...what's this nonsense about not being able to spray?
Hey MM,

Thanks for the reply. You are the man!

What you described may be beyond my skills. I am going to explain this to the wife with the hope that I will be able to convince her to let me spray it on. However, if she sticks to her guns and stays adamant about not using a sprayer, is there an easier mix to use with a roller? I am having a hard time convincing her that rolling on plain white paint is not "good enough" as she seems to think. So I'm looking for any alternatives that gets me a nice screen without just painting it white.

With that being said I feel an argument is brewing.
Kevin Wright is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 07-18-2019, 04:30 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 21,751
Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3512 Post(s)
Liked: 1636
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wright View Post
Hey MM,

Thanks for the reply. You are the man!

What you described may be beyond my skills. I am going to explain this to the wife with the hope that I will be able to convince her to let me spray it on. However, if she sticks to her guns and stays adamant about not using a sprayer, is there an easier mix to use with a roller? I am having a hard time convincing her that rolling on plain white paint is not "good enough" as she seems to think. So I'm looking for any alternatives that gets me a nice screen without just painting it white.

With that being said I feel an argument is brewing.
Here's a good thing that should bolster your argument....when you spray the entire job from start to finish takes about 3.5 hours. Rolling two coats (minimum) requires at least 3-4 hours for the first coat to dry "completely" before the second is applied because the Paint-Poly and Water are not atomized and go on much thicker comparatively.

Finally.....if you get an inexpensive HVLP Sprayer, after you've finished the Screen the Wife can add several other Spray projects to the Honey-do List. I've helped instruct many Members who have never sprayed squat-diddly before....and they nailed it

The real incentive is to tell her that for a Screen your size, each coat will take having the gun in operation about 90 seconds tops. Each coat will dry in about 15-20 minutes....and the end result will compare with Mfg Screens costing $1000s.

Lastly....if I make rolling seem at best problematical, it's because I used to Roll,(2003) and tried to teach others to do so, and the results were.....well, a mixed bag. Roller Marks, Streaking...and Roller Induced Texture are things that just sorta happen when you roll on a coating that will be heavily scrutinized.

Once spraying came to the forefront, the success ratio zoomed up to well over 95%. Even those who chose a simpler Paint benefit from Spraying using the Duster Method. Basically....if you want the best possible end results, you'll use the best available Paint solution and apply it in the best manner possible.

It's like choosing a Wife...you either nail it on the first go-round....or get nailed and either live with your mistake or have to do it all over again.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-18-2019, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Here's a good thing that should bolster your argument....when you spray the entire job from start to finish takes about 3.5 hours. Rolling two coats (minimum) requires at least 3-4 hours for the first coat to dry "completely" before the second is applied because the Paint-Poly and Water are not atomized and go on much thicker comparatively.

Finally.....if you get an inexpensive HVLP Sprayer, after you've finished the Screen the Wife can add several other Spray projects to the Honey-do List. I've helped instruct many Members who have never sprayed squat-diddly before....and they nailed it

The real incentive is to tell her that for a Screen your size, each coat will take having the gun in operation about 90 seconds tops. Each coat will dry in about 15-20 minutes....and the end result will compare with Mfg Screens costing $1000s.

Lastly....if I make rolling seem at best problematical, it's because I used to Roll,(2003) and tried to teach others to do so, and the results were.....well, a mixed bag. Roller Marks, Streaking...and Roller Induced Texture are things that just sorta happen when you roll on a coating that will be heavily scrutinized.

Once spraying came to the forefront, the success ratio zoomed up to well over 95%. Even those who chose a simpler Paint benefit from Spraying using the Duster Method. Basically....if you want the best possible end results, you'll use the best available Paint solution and apply it in the best manner possible.

It's like choosing a Wife...you either nail it on the first go-round....or get nailed and either live with your mistake or have to do it all over again.
Thanks MM,

You made some great points. I will certainly try and convince her that is the best route to take. Appreciate the help.
Kevin Wright is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Screen Section

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off