First Home Theatre Wall Screen Paint Suggestions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 07-21-2019, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First Home Theatre Wall Screen Paint Suggestions

Hey guys! Just got a new house, so I'm buying a projector and putting together my first real home theatre. Since screens are so expensive, I'm painting instead. The wall is nice and flat and should do well.

It's in a basement, only one window, so light will eventually be controlled completely. The screen wall is 7'3" tall, 10'7.5" wide. I plan to cover as much of that wall with the image as is reasonable.

I'm leaning toward the Optoma UHD60 for a projector. Or something in the same price range. But that's very likely what I'll be ordering soon. It'll be ceiling mounted towards the back of the 15' long room. Walls and ceiling will likely be painted in the Premier Movie Night colour, which is sort of a dark dusty purple.

I've borrowed a paint gun.

Something I can just walk into Home Depot (in Nova Scotia, Canada), and get would be awesome, but if it'll be a bit improvement, I'll venture into paint mixing territory. It seems harder to find some of the paints I've read about around here, so simpler is probably better.

Any suggestions? I really appreciate you guys sharing your expertise. There's a lot of information on here that I have trouble wrapping my head around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-21-2019, 12:03 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked: 1636
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Great Projector (or similar).....Good Screen surface......Light Control............Gonna Spray.................willingness to Mix...........

Everything seems to be headed in the right direction, except............

What Brand & Model Sprayer do you have and what Nozzle /Needle size does it have?

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 23 Old 07-22-2019, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

It's a Wagner Control Spray Double Duty... I can't see anything about the nozzle size on the box or in the booklet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-22-2019, 05:40 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan R. Sutherland View Post
It's a Wagner Control Spray Double Duty... I can't see anything about the nozzle size on the box or in the booklet.

Gaaaahhhh! A Double Duty!

That Model has the largest Nozzle / Needle size of all the Control Spray Models.....3.25 mm. It is the Model adaptation created to improve the ability of the Wagner Control Spray line-up to handle thicker, more viscous paints such as Household Latex and toss'em out faster and "thicker'er".

It's not intended nor suitable for spraying out thinned / thinner style mixes. Could it be used? Yes....but the method toward such madness involves some very critical aspects that must be followed exactly.

• If a mix such as Silver Fire v2.5 N/C is to be used, very little additional water will be added. Some must be added....but not nearly as much.
  • Speed and distance recommendations must be precisely adhered to. A conspicuous effort to put up extremely light coats must be made.
  • The rate of drying must be increased by increasing the ambient heat in the room, and the placing of a Clean Fan blowing against the screen
  • One must also expect to have to very lightly "sweep sand" the surface after the 3rd and 6th coats....and perhaps just before the final coat.

To give you an idea the difference between the optimal Needle size and that of the Wagner Double Duty I have made this visual chart.

Find the Wagner Control Spray Finish Head w/1.6 mm Needle HERE

I would....in the very least advise that you get the Finish Head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MM Needle Size Comparison Chart.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2593378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagner CS Finish Head.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	2593380  

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 23 Old 07-23-2019, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Copy all that! I will try to find a better sprayer or the finishing head. If I can't, do you recommend rolling over using the double duty?

And is the Silver Fire v2.5 N/C mix what you would use in this case?
post #6 of 23 Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Copy all that! I will try to find a better sprayer or the finishing head. If I can't, do you recommend rolling over using the double duty?
Nope....nothing beats Spraying as far as achieving a near perfect / perfect finish using the least amount of paint. Go ahead and use the "Wagster DD" but get the Fine Finish Head. Then we can go over the method of application soas to optimize it's potential.

Quote:
And is the Silver Fire v2.5 N/C mix what you would use in this case?
Absolutely

post #7 of 23 Old 07-23-2019, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Fine Finish Nozzle ordered! I'll do a light sanding before I start painting. I'll see if I can get the paints at Home Depot this weekend.

I haven't seen any posts about priming. I take it a primer coat is not necessary?

Thank you for all the information!
post #8 of 23 Old 07-23-2019, 06:45 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Stay Tuned for details.....

post #9 of 23 Old 07-27-2019, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

I'm having trouble finding the Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane in Canada. Is there any substitution that might be easier to find here?

It also seems that PPG Diamond is Dulux Diamond here. I bought the Matt White. Is that the same?
post #10 of 23 Old 07-27-2019, 03:51 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
I'm having trouble finding the Rustoleum Ultimate Polyurethane in Canada. Is there any substitution that might be easier to find here?

Do they have Varathane?

Quote:
It also seems that PPG Diamond is Dulux Diamond here. I bought the Matt White. Is that the same?

Should be.

post #11 of 23 Old 07-27-2019, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

They have Varathane, but I'm having trouble finding it in Matte. I can order it online, but it's more expensive and the shipping time is longer than I want to wait!
post #12 of 23 Old 07-27-2019, 06:48 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
They have Varathane, but I'm having trouble finding it in Matte. I can order it online, but it's more expensive and the shipping time is longer than I want to wait!

Satin will do fine....but nothing else with more sheen.

post #13 of 23 Old 07-28-2019, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Great! I will have the first coat done before the end of the day.
post #14 of 23 Old 07-28-2019, 02:40 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Whoa!
I was in Church when you posted the above, and am just now seeing it.

Are you at all familiar with the technique needed to spray good, thinly applied coats using that Wagner?

How often you need to rinse out the gun?

Those who rush in often get snookered by excessively heavy coats, runs, sags, and texture-related issues.

I didn't post those "details" yet because I was waiting for you to come up with you mix components. Then we would address mixing, the proper amount of dilution, straining (very important) and how to best apply to avoid all those nasties just listed above.

Now I'm gonna fret until I hear back. Check your PM box.

post #15 of 23 Old 07-28-2019, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Not to worry! I've been smoothing and sanding, and hoping for more details. Haven't even mixed the paint yet. I am hoping to do that soon though!
post #16 of 23 Old 07-28-2019, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Also, thanks for the PM! I can't answer it yet because I haven't posted enough.
post #17 of 23 Old 07-28-2019, 04:44 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Not to worry! I've been smoothing and sanding, and hoping for more details. Haven't even mixed the paint yet. I am hoping to do that soon though!

Well the below had me nervous!
Quote:

I sent you a PM....I'm on my Phone now, so if you want an expeditious and complete resonse, give me that call for a real time conversation.

post #18 of 23 Old 07-28-2019, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

I ran out of time today, so if I'll be working on it slowly throughout the week, if I have time. If not I will attack it next weekend. If you have advice on the first few steps, I would love to hear it!
post #19 of 23 Old 07-29-2019, 06:41 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

The following are points of order that need to be addressed...in order.

Place the suggested amount of Water into a clean 2 gallon bucket.
Add the Polyurethane and mix slowly & thoroughly using the Squirrel Cage Mixing tool***. (...if not that one, describe which Mixing Tool you have...)
Add in the Dulux Diamond and stir slowly but thoroughly using the Squirrel Cage Mixing tool.

Add in the small amount of Silver Metallic and stir slowly
Add in the White Pearl and stir complete mix slowly for about 2 minutes.

*** When using the Squirrel Cage Mixing tool, use a slow speed only, and move the wand around to get a thorough mixing. DO NOT whip the paint or create a whirlpool that sucks air down into the paint, as that creates bubbles. A few are not an issue, but a lot will separate the Metallic content from the Base mix, and when you strain the mix, much of those particles will be removed.

Next you must strain the Paint through a Nylon Bag Filter into a clean 1 Gallon Can. Even with the Wagner's larger needle, any solids or particles remaining in the paint will clog up the needle orifice and make the gun spit or clog up completely.

It is when straining that you can determine how viscous the mix is (...you want less viscosity...) The Paint should drain through the Net steadily at approx. the same rate you pour it in, after 1st backing up just a little to form a Pool in the Strainer. You pour the Paint through at the same rate you pour Milk into a small glass. If instead you find that the paint is rising in the strainer faster than your pouring it in it's too thick and you must add more Water ( in 2 oz increments) re-stir and strain again.

A smooth flow-through and your ready to load the Gun.

The following are critical "Wagner related" considerations.
  • The Wagner will heat up quickly. Your area is large, so doing rapidly applied Duster Coats will be of critical importance.
  • If the Wall is to be painted all the way into the Corners...both sides and the ceiling....you should first "Cut In" those corners by applying a very light vertical coat in the Corners using the Vertical Pattern, and a very light horizontal edging across the Top. The top edge is also done VERY Lightly....using the Horizontal setting, and starting just above the Wall at a 45 degree angle and the twisting your hand as you move onto the Wall, you spray down onto the Wall about 6"-8". Then go back up and repeat, overlapping the leading edge of the prior swath by 25-30%
  • Once the sides and top are cut in, (and dry) you need to start and stop each horizontal Row with the Gun held at right angle to the Screen Wall, pointing at the Side Wall, and twisting your wrist as you move into the corner and out onto the wall. You finish the other side in reverse order, also dropping immediately and repeating the process at each end.
  • You should almost be "sweeping" across the surface at about 3' per second. With a 10' wide wall that should take you about 3.5-4 seconds for each row...MAX!
  • Each row is overlapped by the next by 60%.
  • The appearance of the 1st coat should look very spotty...freckle-like. The object being to gradually build up a even coating over 6-7 coats
  • Each coat should dry in 20 minutes if your room temp is above 70 degrees and you use a clean Fan 7' in front of the wall...centered...on high. Using a Box or Pole Fan to decrease drying times helps the Paint droplets to shrink and flatten, and that is what gives you a texture-free surface. No Fan? get one...it's of critical importance for a perfect coating.
  • During that 20 minutes wait time you should rinse out the Spray Head after each coat because the heat the Wagner develops will tend to bake and dry the paint inside the Nozzle, restricting the even flow of paint. If so, each subsequent coat will be sparser and go on less evenly. Rinse the Head and the Nozzle Parts out with cold water...preferably under as much pressure as you can.
Just be advised that if you are to err in the amount of paint applied (...or you just cannot source a Fan....) it is far FAR better to put up thinner, more sparsely applied coats than heavier ones. What remains important is the Row overlap, as that is what determines how even the painted coat will look.

If you dip or slip up on a Row,do not go back yo correct....let the next couple coats do the correction. With the Wagner and thinner paints, it will be all too easy for you to dump too much paint onto the surface and get runs, sagging, or in the least, a orange-peel texture. The latter also can develop if the paint takes to long to dry between coats because the paint droplets will not shrink and flatten, so the texture gets "bumpy"....and that effect is cumulative over the course of 6-7 coats.

All the above may seem like a lot to digest and adhere to, but it really is not, and done right the entire process goes quickly. You should complete 6-7 Coats in under 4 Hours.

Any further questions, call as requested.

post #20 of 23 Old 07-29-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Great! I have a drill attachment paint mixer... 1 7/8" diameter... which I guess may cause that whirlpool effect you're telling me to avoid. Is using this on a low speed okay? Or is there another way to mix the paint which preferably won't cost me more money?
post #21 of 23 Old 07-30-2019, 01:50 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Great! I have a drill attachment paint mixer... 1 7/8" diameter... which I guess may cause that whirlpool effect you're telling me to avoid. Is using this on a low speed okay? Or is there another way to mix the paint which preferably won't cost me more money?

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE............................................... ....

This is what is listed as being optimal

https://www.amazon.com/Marshalltown-...dp/B00NJYB3SM/

Used on "slow" speed it will mix components thoroughly without 'whirlpooling' in a very short time. Used at higher speeds it can create a whirlpool like you've never seen, and suck air like a vacuum! ......so don't go there.................

post #22 of 23 Old 07-31-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Well, okay. If it's only 6 bucks.

Last edited by Struan R. Sutherland; 07-31-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #23 of 23 Old 07-31-2019, 08:09 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Well, okay. If it's only 6 bucks.

It is well worth it...especially since...as the image shows...you can disassemble it down to a smaller Turbine that can stir Quart containers, including the Paint Pot on the Gun. The latter is very important because after you strain the paint, and fill the Gun's cup, if the paint still is sluggish coming out, you can add a ounce of water...stir carefully...and then go at it again.

After your done with the project, that Tool will come in handy whenever you need to stir Paint...Varnish (w/no bubbles added...) even lemonade.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page