Some dumb questions on Epson 3700/Milliskin Spandex Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-22-2019, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Some dumb questions on Epson 3700/Milliskin Spandex Build

Hey all,

So after a lot of research, I think I've narrowed my design down to the Epson 3700 and a DIY Milliskin Spandex screen. However, I do have some (possibly dumb) questions.

I love the look of the anamorphic screens, but the 3700 is native 16:9. Is there a way for me to build an anamorphic screen (2.39:1?) and use it in such a manner with this projector? Or would I need a projector that can do a switch/stretch, etc?

The width I have for my screen space is approx. 130". It looks like that would give me the following dimensions for 16:9 or anamorphic:

16:9

Width - 130.7
Height - 73.5
Diag - 150

Anamorphic

Width - 130.1
Height - 54.4
Diag - 141


If i'm not mistaken, it looks like milliskin only comes in a max height of 58"/60", so am I limited in that I can't do a 16:9 screen of that size if I wanted to? The anamorphic wouldn't be an issue obviously.

Sorry if these are dumb questions. Just trying to wrap my head around the aspect ratio piece of all this and want to make sure I do it once, do it right.

Also, is there a minimum distance I need to keep between flush in walls that go behind the screen and the screen itself?

Thanks!
midfidude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 Old 07-23-2019, 07:52 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 22,242
Mentioned: 281 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3790 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by midfidude View Post
Hey all,

So after a lot of research, I think I've narrowed my design down to the Epson 3700 and a DIY Milliskin Spandex screen. However, I do have some (possibly dumb) questions.
The only "dumb" questions are the one's you shouldhave but never asked before starting out.

Quote:
I love the look of the anamorphic screens, but the 3700 is native 16:9. Is there a way for me to build an anamorphic screen (2.39:1?) and use it in such a manner with this projector? Or would I need a projector that can do a switch/stretch, etc?
The real criteria for making Format adjustments revolves around having both Vertical Lens Shift and Zoom. Preferably both Powered...and if Lens Memory is available it is to be considered a critical designed-in element. To that effect, I'd suggest instead a Epson 5040.


Quote:
The width I have for my screen space is approx. 130". It looks like that would give me the following dimensions for 16:9 or anamorphic:

16:9

Width - 130.7
Height - 73.5
Diag - 150

Anamorphic

Width - 130.1
Height - 54.4
Diag - 141


If i'm not mistaken, it looks like milliskin only comes in a max height of 58"/60", so am I limited in that I can't do a 16:9 screen of that size if I wanted to? The anamorphic wouldn't be an issue obviously.
There is available Spandex in much larger sizes....way out beyond you Plans.....enough so that you could create a entire Wall of Spandex and pretty much shoot whatever size 16:9 image you want.


Quote:
Sorry if these are dumb questions. Just trying to wrap my head around the aspect ratio piece of all this and want to make sure I do it once, do it right.

Also, is there a minimum distance I need to keep between flush in walls that go behind the screen and the screen itself?
If you build a frame with 1x3s or 1x4s "on Edge, the 2.5" or 3.5" distance will be almost perfect for your application


Quote:
Thanks!
Sawrite...................

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is offline  
post #3 of 4 Old 07-23-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks MississippiMan.

Its thank to your posts in the first place that I've decided to go with Milliskin Spandex, so thanks is overdue anyways!

I would love to get the 5040 but its just not in the cards. I am getting new flooring, painting, new front and surround speakers, the screen and the projector, so the 5040 at its price is out. I know about the refurb deal on Epson, but it seems like a gamble given how many of their refurbs seem to have issues, at least from all the posts.

But thank you! I
midfidude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 4 Old 07-23-2019, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks MississippiMan!

Your advice is much appreciated and thanks is overdue as your posts are the ones that first led me to go the Spandex route in the first place!

Regarding the 5040, would love to get it for the same price as the 3700 on that Epson refurb deal, but I think I want to avoid the hassle that many seem to be experiencing based on the posts in the bargain section on their refurb units. It is EXTREMELY tempting though as its much more projector than the 3700 from everything I've read. And full price on it is out as I still need to get a receiver, speakers, the screen build, flooring, paint, seating, etc, so I've got enough money going out soon lol!

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back with TONS more questions as this project comes more to fruition in the next couple of months.
midfidude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Screen Section

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off