Black Flame DIY screen - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 02-05-2020, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 191
@MississippiMan have you thought about creating samples on fabric or small hard board that you could sell to folks who are interested?

How do you tell if your wall is flat enough to prevent blurring or geometric distortion of the projected image? How do you correct it if it is off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 02-05-2020, 04:21 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 350 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4155 Post(s)
Liked: 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post
@MississippiMan have you thought about creating samples on fabric or small hard board that you could sell to folks who are interested?
Of course, but a few good reasons not to, they take precedent.

Sizes large enough to make valid and objective decisions upon (48" x 36')at not easily done cost effectively...either with materials or shipping. A DIY'er by definition will have to purchase whatever is needed to make their own samples. The costs are comparative. And they then already have the paint necessary to make a screen.

And a lot of Members do / have done exactly that. Add to that the number of actual end users with finished screens and the number Threads & Post goes into the Thousands. The amount of vetting for Silver Fire in all it's versions since inception is extreme. But between 2004 and 2008-9, there was a "Put Up Or Shut Up" mentality as far as "proving one's Application...no matter what it was, so that many "How TO" threads about Rolling and Spraying were made and frequented...
Spoiler!

Quote:
How do you tell if your wall is flat enough to prevent blurring or geometric distortion of the projected image? How do you correct it if it is off?
Usually, any issues with the wall being bumpy...or having waves or Bows imparted by poor Framing, they are made obvious by sighting down the length of the wall. If you can visually see high & low points from the side, then you would perceive a distorted image from the Front whenever the imagery panned right or left. Just like looking through a wavy Glass window.

If one want to check for waves they cannot seem to see, using a 4' Level or similar rigid "straight edge" and moving it around on the area involved will help locate high & low points, as the straight edge will "rock" over high points or suspend across valleys. Anything that is over a 1/4" off should be filled...a daunting tasked for a unlearned DIY'er.

As for cracks, pitted spots, pinholes....and the dreaded Tape Joints, all are easily serviceable....and must be addressed because all are detrimental, the High Contrast surface will make them stand out like a wart on a Witch's nose.

And those can also be found via close inspection of a Primed or painted surface, and spot-addressed as required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A very small Italia Thingee.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2682468  

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 02-08-2020 at 03:54 PM.
post #33 of 47 Old 03-15-2020, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan
MississippiMan, please get in touch with me regarding ordering some Black Flame paint!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How long do you have to wait between coats when doing the wall as the screen? I am thinking of getting my painter to do it but if I need 7 coats or something and he has to wait overnight I think it's going to get time consuming and expensive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #35 of 47 Old 03-24-2020, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by reechings View Post
How long do you have to wait between coats when doing the wall as the screen? I am thinking of getting my painter to do it but if I need 7 coats or something and he has to wait overnight I think it's going to get time consuming and expensive.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am doing my own wall now with Mississippi Man's help and was told that if you get the room a nice 70-72 degrees and put a big box fan on a chair or something aiming at the wall, it should not take more than about 20 mins per coat to dry nicely. He can chime in if im wrong of course
post #36 of 47 Old 03-24-2020, 03:48 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reechings View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malodium View Post
I am doing my own wall now with Mississippi Man's help and was told that if you get the room a nice 70-72 degrees and put a big box fan on a chair or something aiming at the wall, it should not take more than about 20 mins per coat to dry nicely. He can chime in if I'm wrong of course
@Malodium is spot on.

With an assist from a clean Fan and if the room is at minimum 72 degrees, a Duster coat should be dry and ready for another coat within 20 minutes...25 min tops.

7 coats at 30 minutes is 3.5 hours....so even if the times are stretched out a few extra minutes, and allowing for a periodic Gun rinsing after every 3 coats, 4.5 hours would be a drag-arse time.

Now omit the Fan and paint at 65 degrees and you just might not be happy with the end results. Why?

When the small droplets of paint are able to dry quickly, they shrink and flatten out, resulting is a much smooth coat as subsequent layers build up upon layers. Those same droplets....if left to dry slowly, develop a drier skim coat on top while underneath the paint is still wet. Even after the underlying paint does dry, the droplet pretty much retains it's raised "bump", and as the coats build up, so does the texture.

Paint over a "Bump"that is not completely dry and you can get Orange Peel texture from the build-up....and even some "paint slide"

Nope....1st priority....use a clean Fan....either Pole (preferred) or a Box type. 2nd priority...raise the temperature of the room...the higher the better. Hit 80 degrees and the coats will fry in 15 minutes....gar-ran-teed.
reechings likes this.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #37 of 47 Old 03-25-2020, 06:57 AM

When I did my last Silver Fire screen, I had a heat gun handy. I'd spray a coat, set the gun down, and then took the heat gun and made sweeping passes across the screen from about a foot away, moving quickly. The screen was only 100", so much easier than doing a wall. But it worked very well... I'd go over the screen side to side, then up and down, quickly, until the wet sheen faded flat. Nowhere near close enough to or slow enough to get it hot enough to do any damage, but the effect was significant. I'd then leave it for ten minutes, then come back and do another coat. I think the whole thing took me like 2 hours.
post #38 of 47 Old 03-30-2020, 09:44 PM

Finished painting a new Black Flame screen the other day... itching to hang it and see how it looks. It's driving me crazy, but I have to wait a few more days.

I went with a mix of two quarts and 1.5 oz of the colorant. Not sure if that was the right call... I think that having a lighter screen will allow me to close the iris down a bit on my projector? Maybe get a little bit better contrast? Can't wait to find out.

The wall where I hang the screen in my paint booth now has the outline of the new screen on top of the outline of the old screen, which was Silver Fire 4.0. The Silver Fire outline is right about slightly twice as dark.

I'll post some pictures in the next day or so.
post #39 of 47 Old 03-31-2020, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow, the screen tint is so nice
post #40 of 47 Old 04-02-2020, 12:44 PM

Pictures are out of order, but they show like first, third, and maybe fifth coats on a sample board?

Using a CA Tech CPR gun with a 1.3 tip.

Put this sample board up against my Silver Fire 4.0 screen... actually makes quite a difference!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8636.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	2704846   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8623.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2704848   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8611.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2704850   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8646.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	2704852  
post #41 of 47 Old 04-02-2020, 12:48 PM

I have the faintest orange peel going on with this board because I rushed it for pictures. MM might say I put it on too heavy. But it doesn't effect the picture at all. The full screen that I painted went slowly and is dead smooth.
biglen likes this.
post #42 of 47 Old 04-04-2020, 07:28 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moore View Post
I have the faintest orange peel going on with this board because I rushed it for pictures. MM might say I put it on too heavy. But it doesn't effect the picture at all. The full screen that I painted went slowly and is dead smooth.

Yeah...you final coat/s went on way heavy...and that isn't what I would venture to call "Faintest"...you WOULD have noticed it clearly if that texture had been present on a Full Sized Screen...everytime the image panned....but you didn't repeat that with the big Screen so you get a bye..............

post #43 of 47 Old 04-04-2020, 07:51 AM

Yeah... maybe. It's still very decent. I have yet to test out the full screen... hoping today or tomorrow might be the time!
post #44 of 47 Old 04-04-2020, 08:00 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moore View Post
Yeah... maybe. It's still very decent. I have yet to test out the full screen... hoping today or tomorrow might be the time!

Dude! I thought that it was a completely done deal! Now I must fret until you get things up and running....and posted.

I gotta go take a pill...............

post #45 of 47 Old 04-04-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Dude! I thought that it was a completely done deal! Now I must fret until you get things up and running....and posted.

I gotta go take a pill...............

Don't fret! There is absolutely no texture to the full screen... it's perfect. I took my time. I am a furniture finisher and I know what smooth is!

I just haven't been able to actually hang the screen and give it a run, because the projector is at a different house and I am in the complicated process of moving.

I'll go take some shots of the Silver Fire screen against the sample board now, because I won't have a chance once it is moved.
post #46 of 47 Old 04-04-2020, 08:51 AM

Some quick shots before I start getting moving here...

First picture is with flash, from the side, showing a 100 IRE sample in the middle of the screen.

Next few shots from Baraka, with the last shot being macro on the edge of the sample board.

I think the most striking difference that you can see is how less it attenuates the upper ranges, while still matching the much darker screen in the mid-low ranges.

Very pleased and can't wait to see the full screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8668.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2705598   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8673.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2705600   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8680.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2705602   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8686.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2705604   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8687.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2705606  

Name:	DSC_8689.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2705608  
post #47 of 47 Old 04-04-2020, 08:53 AM

In the second and third image, for example... you can't see the top right corner of the sample board. But you can clearly see the subtle difference on the left side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page