128" 2.39: Spandex Screen --Frame instructions - - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By MississippiMan
  • 4 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 18 Old 09-07-2019, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 282 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3794 Post(s)
Liked: 1761
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
128" 2.39: Spandex Screen --Frame instructions -

Gentle Readers,

I'm currently in Harford, Maryland finishing up the Retro-Fit Wiring for a fellow member's Theater, and the construction of a 128" 2.39: Spandex Screen.

I have advised many Members on the construction of Spandex Screens, but myself have primarily been focused on painting Screen Walls. However in this particular case there is the need for Center Channel placement behind the screen (low ceiling) so once more...I gotta do what I gotta do.

In getting back into the personal "swing of things", my current design addresses a few important aspects and considerations in building 2.39:1 screen Frames. Such narrow screens have a tendency to bow downward at each end. Yes...prior designs I have published all have utilized dual French Cleats, but in truth, any frame than can bow will bow, so designing in a method to prevent such an occurrence only make good sense.

Below is a diagram of the actual improvements in the Frame elements, and then what follows are 3 images showing the assembled Frame.

Please note the Kreg Pocket Screws and the vertical Center Braces attached to the Horizontal Stiffening Braces

Top & Bottom Braces are Flush to Rear edge of Exterior Frame

Sighting down the Frame from one end shows it to be straight and true. Also the Frame standing alone with no support shows it to be very level across it's entire length.

Employing the Horizontal Stiffening Braces to the top & bottom Frame pieces helps to create a truly ideal and straight Frame that has no Bowing or a Twist. I strongly suggest that everyone adopt this additional step.

Tomorrow about 9 am will see the Spandex get stretched across the Frame. Naturally there will be images to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	128 Inch 2.39 to 1 1x3 Frame.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	2612406   Click image for larger version

Name:	128 inch 239 Frame Rear.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	2612416   Click image for larger version

Name:	128 inch 239 Frame front.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	2612418   Click image for larger version

Name:	128 inch 239- Frame End.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	2612420  
pkinneb and sciuttam like this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-08-2019, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Another notation that I want to mention... Unlike the depiction on the diagram of the wooden French cleat, in this instance 2 -30 inch metal Hangman French Cleats will be used, with them attached to the topmost horizontal brace.

I have just I have just arrived at the job site and I'm in the process of preparing an area to stretch spandex on to the frame. Considering the workplace environment, I will be spreading out 9 foot by 12 foot plastic sheeting.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 18 Old 09-08-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Changed 9 yards to 3 yards.....sheesh!

A word to the wise...if your wall is not absolutely straight, you should forget about trying to use the longer Hangman French Cleats. In this case, just one area that had a inward bow of just 1/8" was all it took to nix the ability of one of the Hang Man cleats to grab it's counterpart. Back to Ripped 1x8 we must go....

As promised, here are the progressive Spandex Wrapping images

First the Black unrolled. We ordered 3 yards expecting to stretch the Black a bit more than normal

Next...a Shot of the Black Spandex wrapped onto the Frame.....

Once stretched across the Frame, the next image shows the Black laying on top of the unrolled White.

Bingo...The White stapled on. I specified 3.5 yards to assure no over-stretching of the White would be necessary.

The miscue on the Hangman meant the screen could not be hung for a static photo on the wall, there was no access to a Table Saw saw so I could not quickly rip the 1x8 we had on hand. That little detail I might have to leave for Lex to do. But maybe not...........

I'm hoping to come back in about a month to install all the A/V equipment and do a round of A/V calibration. Iffin' he wants me to. Might wind up doing that wood cleat then..... At that juncture the screen shots of the Epson 5050 splashing the Screen will also be a'coming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lex Black over White assembly.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	2612676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lex and Black Spandex.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	2612678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lex White Spandex 2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	2612680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lex Black Spandex unrolled.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	2612682  

Last edited by MississippiMan; 09-16-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-16-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Awesome, this is exactly the screen I was going to build (and which you sent me on mail ). This looks like a really nice format, thanks for the build pictures, that will help me a lot !
post #5 of 18 Old 09-16-2019, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorisdriesen View Post
Awesome, this is exactly the screen I was going to build (and which you sent me on mail ). This looks like a really nice format, thanks for the build pictures, that will help me a lot !

Great! Glad it will get you where your heading!

Think I'll toast your project's beginning with a tall Stein of Belgium Triple.
...........and the middle....and the end.

Hey....do me a solid and make 2-3 more, will ya?
sciuttam likes this.

post #6 of 18 Old 09-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Great! Glad it will get you where your heading!

Think I'll toast your project's beginning with a tall Stein of Belgium Triple.
...........and the middle....and the end.

Hey....do me a solid and make 2-3 more, will ya?
Lol, enjoy !! If my screen turns out to be awesome, I will be building and selling these locally
post #7 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 11:31 AM

Any updates ? Would love to see that Epson with this screen.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Me too.............hoping the entire Basement renovation went as planned.

post #9 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Has anyone ever tried a light grey spandex rather than the usual white top layer?

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #10 of 18 Old 10-10-2019, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Has anyone ever tried a light grey spandex rather than the usual white top layer?

You jumped my line!

I read your post elsewhere about wanting to go darker, and it was my intent to respond this evening.

Yes......the first Spandex screens I made were Grey (...it was called Silver....) over White. Basically the image was very good, but the white underlay affected both Black Floor potential as well as Contrast. Surprisingly (or not) the Projectors I used had ultra high Contrast (Panasonic / JVC ) so the only issue I encountered was that the Imagery was not as crisp. It seemed "soft". Estimated Gain was 0.7 White on White even worse. 0.8 Gain, but lessor Blacks, plus another small problem existed....a very slight Blue push.....easily calibrated out with most PJs, but to some it was a fault, period.

Then a couple White over Black examples were made, and presto! Images were much crisper. The Blue push was virtually gone, leaving little to complain about. Yes...gain went down to 0.7. but really hasn't presented much of an issue. The Image is still a wee bit softer than a hard surface Screen, but again...that too can be compensated for without introducing surface artifacts.

Addressing your proposed solution....Grey over Black. That will almost certainly get you down to the 0.5 level you mentioned as being a goal.

Using a "Light Grey" such as this and the Black here you can expect to have to do some modest Calibration (...I don't see that as being an issue for you....) but you will have a excellent 0.5 gain Acoustic Screen (...you might decide you want that aspect after all...) for just a teeny bit less than what you might have to consider. Say.....$1000+ teeny?

Another option....get Flexi-White and paint a very dark Silver Fire / Black Flame surface. I say it definitively....that would be a great option....better performance and smoother sharper image than any cloth-based surface. But....also more expensive than Spandex screen would be, so you get to choose your poison. Either choice won't kill you, they will make you stronger.

If this helps, freely post it on the other Thread. Better you than me.

post #11 of 18 Old 10-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Mississippi Man,

You mention above that "The Image is still a wee bit softer than a hard surface Screen, but again...that too can be compensated for without introducing surface artifacts."

Any chance you could elaborate more on how to compensate for the image "softness".

Thank you.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-12-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredgassit View Post
Hi Mississippi Man,

You mention above that "The Image is still a wee bit softer than a hard surface Screen, but again...that too can be compensated for without introducing surface artifacts."

Any chance you could elaborate more on how to compensate for the image "softness".

Thank you.

Spandex accepts "Sharpening" adjustments better than does a smooth, non-permeable surface. Both PJ-based as well as Image Processors ie:
DarbeeVision DVP5000S

post #13 of 18 Old 10-13-2019, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The white apandex goes directly over the black... No spacer? I would think the fabrics. Might touch in some spots... And not in others potentially having some sort of visual affects.

No?

Also... 11 foot straight poplar? From home depot? I might have to visit 7 to find. 2 good. Straight ones! 😲. Might be able to modify plans to use plywood strip (4ish inches. ). Two pieces butting end to end but bridged by an 8 foot piece ce tered. Glued, screwed. The two ends then filled in so it has consistent thickness. Haven't done the math yet, put 1 would think 1 sheet would do (only top and bottom rails would require the 2 ply approach)

I've dealt with lumber on screens before... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...71=&p=24173040
post #14 of 18 Old 10-13-2019, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

@armstrr

No...they always lay flush against each other

post #15 of 18 Old 10-15-2019, 12:24 AM

Thank you Mr Mississippi Man!
post #16 of 18 Old 10-17-2019, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredgassit View Post
Thank you Mr Mississippi Man!

Sawrite. Keep us all updated.

post #17 of 18 Old 10-19-2019, 06:01 PM

"Keep us all updated."

Will do.

But gotta build my house first, then the screen and then these beauties: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ine-array.html
post #18 of 18 Old 11-08-2019, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
First off thank you very much for the new design template, it came in very handy when I had to build my frame finally last weekend. I opened up my spandex to use some of the extra black I ordered on my false wall and found that stapling the spandex and keeping it wrinkle free was not as easy as I expected, seemed to struggle with finding a good stretching technique but I was probably doing a rather unorthodox method. Do you have a good stapling procedure to use when tacking on the spandex to the frame? I figured a solid guide to mounting the material would be perfect in here as well for some of us first time screen builders. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page