Projector for 150" 16x9" Spandex AT screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projector for 150" 16x9" Spandex AT screen

This is the screen I'm planning to build, using MississippiMan's plans. I'm leaning to 16x9 because I think I can live with the bars at the bottom and top, and don't want to lose the size on sports, etc. Sitting about 15 feet back.

I am trying to pick out a projector and am leaning to the epson 5050ub because of everything it offers, plus the lumens for a 0.7 gain screen. But I found a potential deal on a JVC DLA RS600 (1900 lumens). Will it have enough light for this screen?

Last edited by qlizard; 11-06-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 09:58 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 285 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked: 1773
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlizard View Post
This is the screen I'm planning to build, using MississippiMan's plans. I'm leaning to 16x9 because I think I can live with the bars at the bottom and top, and don't want to lose the size on sports, etc. Sitting about 15 feet back.

I am trying to pick out a projector and am leaning to the epson 5050ub because of everything it offers, plus the lumen for a 0.7 gain screen. But I found a potential deal on a JVC DLA RS600 (1900 lumens). Will it have enough light for this screen?

Yes...and it has significantly better...scratch that. Incredibly better contrast, and the image will be devoid of any pixelated artifacts. It would be extremely hard to find any reason to not consider it, given that it was a $10K projector originally and loaded with JVC's best technology (in 2015)

The ONLY 2 caveats being that with Spandex being 0.7 gain, you would have to mount the projector to within 5% of it's closest Throw distance for the 150"er to assure that you get every bit of JVC excellent image looking as bright as possible (17-18 fl)
......that, and if the unit is not new, if the Lamp needs replacing to obtain top end performance, that Lamp will cost over $375.00 IF you can find a Dealer willing to let you have it at their cost.

I'll tell ya something.....there are individuals...myself included, that would give up a needed body part to find that unit for sale at a bargain.

Now all that said, if your looking for the absolute brightest possible image, especially in HDR, then the balance shifts over to the 5050. No question there at all. Even with Spandex the image will light up with over 27 fl at a 15'-2" Throw. Now that still falls under the commonly expressed desired level of 38-45 fl, but Titles are coming out with better HDR so that might not be something to make you hold back for. Oh yeah...and any eventual Epson Lamp replacement will easily be under 1/2 the cost of the best deal you could find on a JVC Lamp.

So unless you are fixed (...or fixated ) on needing a Spandex screen because of it's Acoustic Transparency, I'd switch a conventional surface such as Flexi White and spray on a 1.2 gain High Contrast paint and revel in the 46 fl such a DIY 150" screen would provide.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I need to think this through. As I've found to be common in this pursuit, answers seem to make the decisions harder, not easier.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 11:21 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Thank you so much. I need to think this through. As I've found to be common in this pursuit, answers seem to make the decisions harder, not easier.

Yeah. But I (...or anyone else...) would be remiss to not give you all the skinny so that you yourself could make an informed decision. The simple (...and safest...)answer would have been to just come down hard and fast on the 5050, but man-o-man, that JVC is Da Bomb! And they don't make 'em like that anymore. To get even 100K:1 Native Contrast in a JVC requires a $10K+ expenditure (NX9 - RS-3000) so that shows how some features always have to regress to allow for the inclusion of something new (Native 4K) Shame that. If the NX9 had 160K:1 Native and 2500 Lumen, it would be an absolute World Beater! I get tingly just imagining it.

So you betcha.....don't be hasty. There are other bright 4Koptions out there (...and on their way...) Not so many have all the bells & whistles of the 5050, but some are pretty good. I kinda like the Epson 4010 as a economical alternative....and the Epson 3800 is no slouch either.

As a JVC Pro Dealer, I'm looking forward to the new Laser 4K because the rushes I've gotten from my Distributors place it's price point at below the NX5...which I cannot in good conscious recommend to anyone with it's picayune 40K:1 Native Contrast.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 8 Old 11-06-2019, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Once again, thank you. I really appreciate the help.
Part of the problem is I need the AT screen. I have the speakers in the wall behind it. And I don't want to spend thousands on a marginally better AT screen material.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-07-2019, 03:07 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Once again, thank you. I really appreciate the help.
Part of the problem is I need the AT screen. I have the speakers in the wall behind it. And I don't want to spend thousands on a marginally better AT screen material.

I certainly cannot blame you there!

The primary choice will depend on what content you view and under what conditions. Where there is the need....and the will, there is a solution and I'll be more than glad to help you find it.

post #7 of 8 Old 11-07-2019, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
The primary choice will depend on what content you view and under what conditions. Where there is the need....and the will, there is a solution and I'll be more than glad to help you find it.
That's great, thank you. I bought the Kreg jig and am pretty close to getting started on the screen. I will certainly let you know because no doubt I will need the help.

This has probably already been covered, but would another layer of spandex (probably the white) help the gain at all without sacrificing too much audio?
post #8 of 8 Old 11-09-2019, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

An update here. I didn't get the JVC I was looking at. I wan't able to get it into my price range and I was a little leery about it anyway (used). So I'm pretty set on the Epson.

I remeasured my seating distance and it is actually 13' 6" rather than 15'. So I am thinking to size down the screen a little, to 140". This will help with my wife some too, who already thinks I'm ridiculous.

I am going to follow the diagram you (MississippiMan) have in this thread. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...ld-advice.html

Let me know if there is anything you would update in that 140" design. I'm really amazed at how much information you have provided to people over the years. I will get going with the information I have then start any questions in a new thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section