• 1 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 29 Old 11-19-2019, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Newbie from the UK

Hi, I've seen in the UK we don't really have a dedicated ALR projector screen DIY community as strong as here.

I'm looking to try and on a budget get a screen which can form a cheap ALR screen but most importantly give me a beautiful pic in the evening/night.

I am a totally blank slate. I have little DIY knowledge.

I'm going to buy a HW40ES to start off my projectering most likely. I haven't bought a screen yet so open to suggestions. If someone could please help me, it would be MUCH appreciated with any advice on what to buy and what mix would be best.

PJ for now HW40ES and throw distance 2.5-2.7m.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-19-2019, 07:25 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoaaron View Post
Hi, I've seen in the UK we don't really have a dedicated ALR projector screen DIY community as strong as here.

I'm looking to try and on a budget get a screen which can form a cheap ALR screen but most importantly give me a beautiful pic in the evening/night.

I am a totally blank slate. I have little DIY knowledge.

I'm going to buy a HW40ES to start off my projectering most likely. I haven't bought a screen yet so open to suggestions. If someone could please help me, it would be MUCH appreciated with any advice on what to buy and what mix would be best.

PJ for now HW40ES and throw distance 2.5-2.7m.

Normally if ALR is what your looking for, I'd say chose a different projector with more Lumen. Normally. But a 2.7m throw only allows for a range of Diagonal Screen Size between 1.5m to 2.2m (59" to 89" ) so there is brightness (lumen) to spare. That old Sony could see some life anew.

Enter into the scenario the DIY Screen. In the UK there are a couple ways to get a smooth substrate that size. Expanded White PVC Sign Board is commonly used. To that a DIY Mix such as Silver Fire v2.5 4.0 would be applied, and that would meet both of your aforementioned criteria.

So what size screen is it you want?...we can start from there.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 29 Old 11-20-2019, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Normally if ALR is what your looking for, I'd say chose a different projector with more Lumen. Normally. But a 2.7m throw only allows for a range of Diagonal Screen Size between 1.5m to 2.2m (59" to 89" ) so there is brightness (lumen) to spare. That old Sony could see some life anew.

Enter into the scenario the DIY Screen. In the UK there are a couple ways to get a smooth substrate that size. Expanded White PVC Sign Board is commonly used. To that a DIY Mix such as Silver Fire v2.5 4.0 would be applied, and that would meet both of your aforementioned criteria.

So what size screen is it you want?...we can start from there.
Thank you mate. Are there any PJs can you reccomend me other than the HW40ES which will match its black level/performance/input lag at a similar price?
I think probably my MAIN cirtieria is black levels. I'd love inky blacks and some ALR as possible.

I'm going to likely have to use a retractable electronic screen and paint it because I have a TV already in the room.
The screen size will be at most 90 inches TBH.

BTW, have you seen this guy:
His paint looks interesting, does yours give similar results and these guys on youtube are just making money off of it?

Thank you sir for all your help so far! Is the Silver Fire my best bet? How do I get it? (just go to a local paint shop and ask them to make it?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 11-20-2019, 06:07 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Thank you mate. Are there any PJs can you reccomend me other than the HW40ES which will match its black level/performance/input lag at a similar price?
I think probably my MAIN cirtieria is black levels. I'd love inky blacks and some ALR as possible.

I'm going to likely have to use a retractable electronic screen and paint it because I have a TV already in the room.
The screen size will be at most 90 inches TBH.

BTW, have you seen this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcpGvOyXVU
His paint looks interesting, does yours give similar results and these guys on youtube are just making money off of it?

Thank you sir for all your help so far! Is the Silver Fire my best bet? How do I get it? (just go to a local paint shop and ask them to make it?)

Your YouTube link doesn't work (error message) but I'm almost afraid to ask who it might be.

Silver Fire is a mixture of several components....no Paint Store outlet has it, a user must compile the ingredients themselves from different sources, either locally or via Internet sources. The Commercial version is Black Flame, which comes ready to pour and spray.

And...if a Retractable is the substrate, spraying is the only viable option. It's not difficult although directions must be followed.

BTW...the older SONY 40es is sufficiently powered to do what you need done on a Screen sized at 90". Larger sizes would rule it out because it quickly loses efficiency at the longer throw distances larger screens require. And yes..it's gaming credentials are very good. Being a older, discontinued model, can I assume your getting a good deal? It won't be such a deal if the Lamp has any real amount of age on it be cause you'll need all the lumen it can offer. Other than that, the only other caveat it possesses is weaker Blacks than some other recent LCD / DILA projectors. Fortunately, either of the paint solutions suggested will help the PJ out inasmuch as the screen;s surface and properties will significantly deeped the appearance of the Black. Significantly.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 29 Old 11-20-2019, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Your YouTube link doesn't work (error message) but I'm almost afraid to ask who it might be.

Silver Fire is a mixture of several components....no Paint Store outlet has it, a user must compile the ingredients themselves from different sources, either locally or via Internet sources. The Commercial version is Black Flame, which comes ready to pour and spray.

And...if a Retractable is the substrate, spraying is the only viable option. It's not difficult although directions must be followed.

BTW...the older SONY 40es is sufficiently powered to do what you need done on a Screen sized at 90". Larger sizes would rule it out because it quickly loses efficiency at the longer throw distances larger screens require. And yes..it's gaming credentials are very good. Being a older, discontinued model, can I assume your getting a good deal? It won't be such a deal if the Lamp has any real amount of age on it be cause you'll need all the lumen it can offer. Other than that, the only other caveat it possesses is weaker Blacks than some other recent LCD / DILA projectors. Fortunately, either of the paint solutions suggested will help the PJ out inasmuch as the screen;s surface and properties will significantly deeped the appearance of the Black. Significantly.

My main priority is to try and get the blacks as black as they can and have some form of ALR properties. The thing is, if I'm trying to do 3D, will the paint darken the image so 3-D performance is lacking?

I'll share some links which hopefully don't get blocked:

https:// www.youtube.com /watch?v=yoK16lEUYYM

His name is Crow. He seems to be offering ALR paint for like $60.

This video specifically impressed me a bit:

https:/ /www.youtube.com /watch?v=wVW0CxwWHvg
post #6 of 29 Old 11-20-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
My main priority is to try and get the blacks as black as they can and have some form of ALR properties. The thing is, if I'm trying to do 3D, will the paint darken the image so 3-D performance is lacking?

I'll share some links which hopefully don't get blocked:
https:// www.youtube.com /watch?v=yoK16lEUYYM

His name is Crow. He seems to be offering ALR paint for like $60.

This video specifically impressed me a bit:
https:/ /www.youtube.com /watch?v=wVW0CxwWHvg
Is the link to a video of Crow's screen in a room that's completely dark aside from the screen's own backlighting?
You should expect ANY decent screen to look great in a dark room, particularly with a good backlight behind the screen, just a heads-up.

Lower-gain mixes will dim your image which may or may not darken your 3D image too much depending on your screen-size, but a 90inch screen should be pretty bright even with 3D on a modestly lower-gain mix.
I believe most of Crow's mixes are at least somewhat lower-gain while the specific version of SilverFire that MississippiMan is recommending is a brighter 1.2-1.3gain mix in its regular configuration.
I believe the SilverFire mix should keep your image brighter than most of Crow's mixes will, but I haven't tried any of Crow's in person..though Crow has made some helpfull comparison videos to show relative brightness and black-levels.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #7 of 29 Old 11-20-2019, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Is the link to a video of Crow's screen in a room that's completely dark aside from the screen's own backlighting?
You should expect ANY decent screen to look great in a dark room, particularly with a good backlight behind the screen, just a heads-up.

Lower-gain mixes will dim your image which may or may not darken your 3D image too much depending on your screen-size, but a 90inch screen should be pretty bright even with 3D on a modestly lower-gain mix.
I believe most of Crow's mixes are at least somewhat lower-gain while the specific version of SilverFire that MississippiMan is recommending is a brighter 1.2-1.3gain mix in its regular configuration.
I believe the SilverFire mix should keep your image brighter than most of Crow's mixes will, but I haven't tried any of Crow's in person..though Crow has made some helpfull comparison videos to show relative brightness and black-levels.

Thank you. Could you link me to any of those videos?

I really really love deep inky blacks when the lights are off so I'm concerned which paints will help those and which won't. This is all so complicated but VERY interested.

Honestly you guys are geniuses. I'm not sure if I can source Silverfire in the UK.
post #8 of 29 Old 11-20-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. Could you link me to any of those videos?

I really really love deep inky blacks when the lights are off so I'm concerned which paints will help those and which won't. This is all so complicated but VERY interested.

Honestly you guys are geniuses. I'm not sure if I can source Silverfire in the UK.
Are you asking me to look through Crow's youtube page to find some of his videos comparing his screen paint lights-on black-levels beside other screen materials in the light and also brightness...because you love lights-off screen performance?
That kind of sounds like you're asking for videos of one thing because you like a different thing...so I feel like I'm probably not understanding you properly.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #9 of 29 Old 11-20-2019, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you asking me to look through Crow's youtube page to find some of his videos comparing his screen paint lights-on black-levels beside other screen materials in the light and also brightness...because you love lights-off screen performance?
That kind of sounds like you're asking for videos of one thing because you like a different thing...so I feel like I'm probably not understanding you properly.

Sorry I had mis-read your post. I thought you'd said Crow had posted a comparison of the two screen techs side by side, so it'd have been nice to see a black level comparison and an ambient light comparison.

I did a quick search of Crow + Silver Fire and nothing came up re: comparisons.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-20-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry I had mis-read your post. I thought you'd said Crow had posted a comparison of the two screen techs side by side, so it'd have been nice to see a black level comparison and an ambient light comparison.

I did a quick search of Crow + Silver Fire and nothing came up re: comparisons.
Sorry for the confusion there. Sadly there are very few side-by-side comparisons shown between SilverFire and other screens or paints.
I do have a few sprayed SilverFire panels and a few different screen samples (Carl's ALR which is roughly similar to Elite Cinegrey3D/5D, Carls FlexiGrey which might be roughly similar to Elite CinegreyOriginal, ScreenInnovation Slate 0.8 and 1.2, SI BlackDiamond 1.4, DarkEnergy Abyss which is roughly similar to Slate 0.8) as well as several different DIY paint mix test panels, but I don't have Crows mix.

If any of those screens/materials are ones you have available at a price you can afford and you'd like to see some side-by-side comparison with a particular SilverFire mix, let me know and I'll see if I can make it happen.

Another quick heads-up, most normal versions of SilverFire will be about as bright or brighter than many other light-fighting screens, but many of those other light-fighting screens will have an advantage in black-level performance or contrast retention...except some of the screens or mixes that are both light-colored and low-gain, like Carls FlexiGrey (and I think Elite CineGrey Classic).

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-20-2019 at 03:23 PM.
post #11 of 29 Old 11-21-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion there. Sadly there are very few side-by-side comparisons shown between SilverFire and other screens or paints.
I do have a few sprayed SilverFire panels and a few different screen samples (Carl's ALR which is roughly similar to Elite Cinegrey3D/5D, Carls FlexiGrey which might be roughly similar to Elite CinegreyOriginal, ScreenInnovation Slate 0.8 and 1.2, SI BlackDiamond 1.4, DarkEnergy Abyss which is roughly similar to Slate 0.8) as well as several different DIY paint mix test panels, but I don't have Crows mix.

If any of those screens/materials are ones you have available at a price you can afford and you'd like to see some side-by-side comparison with a particular SilverFire mix, let me know and I'll see if I can make it happen.

Another quick heads-up, most normal versions of SilverFire will be about as bright or brighter than many other light-fighting screens, but many of those other light-fighting screens will have an advantage in black-level performance or contrast retention...except some of the screens or mixes that are both light-colored and low-gain, like Carls FlexiGrey (and I think Elite CineGrey Classic).

Sadly my budget is no where near Black Diamond et al. Could you recommend me a paint mix which I could apply which I’d be able to get + make in the UK?

Your 25 dollar mix in your signature sounds amazing!! I’m either using a JVC X30 or HW40ES projected to 85-90 inches.
post #12 of 29 Old 11-21-2019, 10:23 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Sadly my budget is no where near Black Diamond et al. Could you recommend me a paint mix which I could apply which I’d be able to get + make in the UK?

Your 25 dollar mix in your signature sounds amazing!! I’m either using a JVC X30 or HW40ES projected to 85-90 inches.
You want performance that matches your watching criteria....and a coating that will be ideally suited for application onto a retractable Screen.

Nothing halfway there will suffice. And quite frankly, you will not get there spending $25.00. Perhaps if you were shooting onto a solid surface...because a HW40ES producing such a smallish image from a close-in Throw has quite some bit of performance leeway, as long as gain and contrast can be maintained. That alone allows a more simpler Mix to serve much more easily.

Alas that it not the case with a retractable...and especially so if it is intended to be around for at least another PJ upgrade in the future.

We can explore alternatives for you...but they must meet the needed criteria. At least you can be certain I won't make any suggestion that don't.

post #13 of 29 Old 11-21-2019, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Sadly my budget is no where near Black Diamond et al. Could you recommend me a paint mix which I could apply which I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;d be able to get + make in the UK?

Your 25 dollar mix in your signature sounds amazing!! I&#226;€&#x2122;&#xfe0f;m either using a JVC X30 or HW40ES projected to 85-90 inches.
You want performance that matches your watching criteria....and a coating that will be ideally suited for application onto a retractable Screen.

Nothing halfway there will suffice. And quite frankly, you will not get there spending $25.00. Perhaps if you were shooting onto a solid surface...because a HW40ES producing such a smallish image from a close-in Throw has quite some bit of performance leeway, as long as gain and contrast can be maintained. That alone allows a more simpler Mix to serve much more easily.

Alas that it not the case with a retractable...and especially so if it is intended to be around for at least another PJ upgrade in the future.

We can explore alternatives for you...but they must meet the needed criteria. At least you can be certain I won't make any suggestion that don't.
Totally understand boss!! Yup you’re right. I’m ready to listen and learn. You’re right you get what you pay for.

My worry with paint and diy is if I leave it to myself.. I’m probably gonna do a bad job and end up wasting all the money. I’ve shot you an email &#x1f642;
post #14 of 29 Old 11-21-2019, 10:53 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Totally understand boss!! Yup you’re right. I’m ready to listen and learn. You’re right you get what you pay for.

My worry with paint and diy is if I leave it to myself.. I’m probably gonna do a bad job and end up wasting all the money.
Aww...you cannot know how often we hear that lament.

Don't worry...the instructions are clear, and the effort? Cave-man easy.

post #15 of 29 Old 11-21-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The FolkArt mixes here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...-paintmix.html
Can be found in the UK (the FolkArt metallic is common in art/craft shops and department stores and online such as PlaidOnline.com) and the only other ingredients are Matte-finish water-based polyurethane/varnish..and water.

The mix still needs to be sprayed using an appropriate HVLP spray gun like the SilverFire mix mentioned above by MississippiMan, but this is the most common way to apply paint onto an electric screen anyway..so you're kind of stuck with spraying no matter what mix you're looking at.
The very dark-colored version using FolkArt metallic Gunmetal is great for 2D, but I've heard that JVC can be particularly dim for 3D, so a slightly lighter and brighter version of the FolkArt mix might be a better option if you're a huge 3D fan.

Between those projectors, the JVC will have significantly better black-levels than the Sony, but the Sony is noticeably brighter and has much less input-lag for gaming.
If you're a gamer and/or a huge 3D fan, then I think the Sony is a much better option...the JVC is too slow for any competitive gaming and the ProjectorCentral review mentioned it has annoying levels of flickering during 3D.
If you're mostly watching movies (particularly in the evening like you mentioned) and you want the deepest blacks possible, then the JVC is really hard to beat.

Are you going to be gaming on the projector?
Are you a big 3D fan or someone who can live mostly without it?

post #16 of 29 Old 11-21-2019, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The FolkArt mixes here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...-paintmix.html
Can be found in the UK (the FolkArt metallic is common in art/craft shops and department stores and online such as PlaidOnline.com) and the only other ingredients are Matte-finish water-based polyurethane/varnish..and water.

The mix still needs to be sprayed using an appropriate HVLP spray gun like the SilverFire mix mentioned above by MississippiMan, but this is the most common way to apply paint onto an electric screen anyway..so you're kind of stuck with spraying no matter what mix you're looking at.
The very dark-colored version using FolkArt metallic Gunmetal is great for 2D, but I've heard that JVC can be particularly dim for 3D, so a slightly lighter and brighter version of the FolkArt mix might be a better option if you're a huge 3D fan.

Between those projectors, the JVC will have significantly better black-levels than the Sony, but the Sony is noticeably brighter and has much less input-lag for gaming.
If you're a gamer and/or a huge 3D fan, then I think the Sony is a much better option...the JVC is too slow for any competitive gaming and the ProjectorCentral review mentioned it has annoying levels of flickering during 3D.
If you're mostly watching movies (particularly in the evening like you mentioned) and you want the deepest blacks possible, then the JVC is really hard to beat.

Are you going to be gaming on the projector?
Are you a big 3D fan or someone who can live mostly without it?
Definitley will be gaming and I've wanted to try out 3D for about 10 years now so quite psyched for that too, especially with a big screen!
post #17 of 29 Old 11-21-2019, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Aww...you cannot know how often we hear that lament.

Don't worry...the instructions are clear, and the effort? Cave-man easy.

Are there any video tutorials? I'm surprised no one has done a little DIY tutorial with step by step instructions yet.
post #18 of 29 Old 11-21-2019, 09:08 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Are there any video tutorials? I'm surprised no one has done a little DIY tutorial with step by step instructions yet.

Believe it or not, I usually supply instructions that are tailored for individual needs, abilities and circumstances. To everyone...anyone...everywhere.

I'm a glutton for punishment.

Even so, there have been numerous Threads where the member has created quite detailed descriptions of what they did...as have it many times.....but so far, no Sticky.
Luminated67 likes this.

post #19 of 29 Old 11-21-2019, 09:21 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

I said before...the Sony 40ES seems ideally suited for your circumstances. Focus on the Screen situation.
Luminated67 likes this.

post #20 of 29 Old 11-25-2019, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I said before...the Sony 40ES seems ideally suited for your circumstances. Focus on the Screen situation.

Thank you boss. I've at last sorted out the projector situation and its on the way so now I'll draw attention to the screen.

Sadly due to my wall mounted TV, I'm restricted to an retractable projector screen. I've seen this one and can't find another tab-tensioned one to get.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/92-Premiu...y/192656408433

Would this suffice? Its a bit on the expensive side for what I was hoping to buy but I can't find a cheaper tab tensioned screen.

Then I guess I have to focus on paint which I'm still a bit nervous about. I'm guessing Black Flame is my best bet? would that be good or Black Flame interstellar?

Any chance you could source for me a decent shopping list if I opt for trying to mix paints myself in the UK? The only reason is basically because customs are going to kill me and I'd ideally like to have excess paint incase I mess this up. I'm actually contemplating doing a practice run on a 20 quid projector screen first.
post #21 of 29 Old 11-25-2019, 07:39 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

That is not a bad price for a Tab Tension Screen.

You got mail.

post #22 of 29 Old 11-26-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't be afraid of $25 mixes just because they are affordable and only require two ingredients (plus water).

A $25 mix can create a fantastic rollup screen.
If you're paying more, make sure you're getting what you pay for.

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-26-2019 at 08:31 AM.
post #23 of 29 Old 11-26-2019, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is not a bad price for a Tab Tension Screen.

You got mail.
Haven't had any yet!

Would I be safe buying a grey screen, if later on I decided I'd like to apply paint to it?
post #24 of 29 Old 11-26-2019, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't be afraid of $25 mixes just because they are affordable and only require two ingredients (plus water).

A $25 mix can create a fantastic rollup screen.
If you're paying more, make sure you're getting what you pay for.

Was that a roll up screen? You guys work absolute magic I swear.
post #25 of 29 Old 11-26-2019, 05:17 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

That is a nice image, but it lacks any real reference to show Contrast or Black levels.

From what I see it looks a bit less than dynamic...some degree of color washout around the edges. And as I said...no real Black reference to judge. What is seen looks to lack depth and richness.

But the premise is correct...to this extent. If a decent PJ with enough lumen output and exceptional Contrast / Blacks is employed, the need for extra in a Metallic based mix goes down as those attributes rise. Otherwise....not so much.

post #26 of 29 Old 11-27-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would I be safe buying a grey screen, if later on I decided I'd like to apply paint to it?
As long as the screen material is very smooth and the quality of the rollup/tension components are able to keep the surface flat/level, applying paint later should be fine if you decide to. Those same two things (a good enough build quality to stay flat, and a smooth material) will often mean a really good screen in general..so they're important even if you don't paint.

Quote:
Was that a roll up screen? You guys work absolute magic I swear.
EDIT: My mistake. This is a fixed-frame screen. That particular screen was made from two ingredients in the middle-east if I'm remembering right. It's a 130" FF screen painted with a very dark-colored metallic mix.

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-27-2019 at 10:14 AM.
post #27 of 29 Old 11-27-2019, 09:04 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Yes, it rolls up into the overhang just above it. That particular screen was made from two ingredients in the middle-east if I'm remembering right. It's a 130" electric screen painted with a very dark-colored metallic mix.
What mix exactly? What Projector? What type / Mfg Retractable? Who is the Member and where is the Thread it comes from?

Now I'll not take it too far, but something is amiss. I know just about every design of retractable there is, and the image shows a screen with virtually no Black surround along the edges, and a decided break at the top...the latter being the most telling because every Retractable on the face of the Planet has a Drop above the screen that is"Black" all the way up into the Screen Casing. The Screen shown looks like a typical Zero Edge...perhaps a SI-BD or similar. Even when the image is viewed without being enlarged it is obvious there is no Black area between the Screen's thin black edge and the enclosure above.

I took the liberty to examine the image as closely as it's poorly defined focus and contrast will allow, enhancing the contrast differences, and the image below shows every indication that it is not a Retractable.

Note the lack of any continuance of the Black Border across the top edges

Referencing something without adding in all the necessary details isn't at all very much help or indicative of any potential results the OP might be able to obtain. And using a example that is so candidly out of sorts even more so. I'd welcome being shown definitive proof that the assumptions made via the above indicators are wrong.

It would be nice to be shown my doubts are unfounded.....really.

Until then the OP had better consider it as being something by not to which make any judgements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Bogus 1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	2646282  

Last edited by MississippiMan; 11-27-2019 at 09:10 AM.
post #28 of 29 Old 11-27-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoiler!
Welp, I'm an idiot.
I found and reread the post and I was wrong about it being an electric rollup. That screen was a painted fixed-frame model. I'll edit my ealier post to mention this as well.

Luckily the FolkArt metallic and waterbased+matte poly mix is incredibly flexible and it can work very well on a rollup screen. I've even applied it onto thin, flexible plastics and metallic foils and it stays like a new skin.
I can also confirm it sticks well to rolled up BOC but I'll further reinforce that you should NOT use blackoutcloth for any mix that wants a smooth surface (like this and most others) because BOC isn't as smooth as a good screen material or panel.

Last edited by Ftoast; 11-27-2019 at 10:39 AM.
post #29 of 29 Old 11-27-2019, 10:36 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Spoiler!

I found and reread the post and I was wrong about it being an electric rollup. That screen was a painted fixed-frame model. I'll edit my ealier post to mention this as well.

Luckily the FolkArt metallic and waterbased+matte poly mix is incredibly flexible and it can work very well on a rollup screen. I've even applied it onto thin, flexible plastics and metallic foils and it stays like a new skin.

Thanks for the clarification.....

I was mightily perplexed by the image, and I did feel it had to be a honest mistake. Between us both, such obvious errors come along pretty seldomly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page