Help picking screen paint - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-29-2019, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help picking screen paint

I posted this in the general theater section first and realized this is probably where this post belongs. I’m not sure sure if I could delete the original post, it wasn’t obvious. Anyway I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

I am looking to paint a screen wall. My room is 18’x21’ and 9’H. The East wall is 21’, has 4 windows with plantation shutters. The south wall is 18’, has one window with plantation shutters and is where I sit. The west wall is 21’, has the door. The north Wall 18’ and is where I project onto. I currently project almost the full wall for maybe a 200” diagonal. The wall color is this pinkish beige with a knock down texture. I have a Sony VPL-VW365ES and projecting about a 21’ throw. The room is a playroom/theater. We project kids shows during the day and movies at night. We are impressed with the current setup but I’m sure I’m missing out on PQ. But I’m not sure if I’m missing out on major PQ or just marginal.

We are painting the room with a Sherwin Williams Silverplate, cashmere low luster, and I just got approval to ”propose” a different gray If needed for the screen wall. I am not willing to flatten the knock down texture. I can use a paint gun if needed.

I don’t mind spending money (I think) on an OTS product if it’s superior to mixing my own paint. what color should I use? Otherwise if it provides a decent solution, can I add anything to the silverplate paint we are using on the other walls for the screen wall as well? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jjspati; 11-29-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2019, 05:12 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Oh how I hate playing the Grinch so early in the season!

For a Screen Wall / Image that size, if you want a truly marked improvement, the "Grey" you want would not be based upon OTS "Silverplate".

When someone wants the like of what you propose and then starts out making conditions such as not wanting to smooth out at least a section of the Wall that is dedicated for "Large Format Projection", it's tantamount to saying, "I want an improvement but I don't want to do what is necessary to achieve it." In saying just that one sentence you effectively dismiss all the really effective potential help and advice you might otherwise avail yourself of.

If you want anything that would actually be what I know to be impressive, you need gain (...at least 1.4...) and that would require Metallic and Translucent additives applied over a "smooth" solid white primed Base coat. That requires that the knockdown surface be smoothed with a skim coat of Compound, sanded and primed.

That said, if you must present intractable limitations at the start, I don't think it would be constructive to suggest anything other than what you yourself feel was impressive at 200" diagonal with a 1500 lumen projector throwing from 21'. At best your getting just 10 fl with a new Lamp...so if such performance is acceptable...even impressive, then applying as neutral a Grey tint as you can muster using in SW Cashmere Low Luster will be the limit of what your capable of achieving, as there are no other paints or sheen, OTS or Custom mixed, that would work with a obviously textured wall. You cannot add the ingredients that make Custom mixes do what you need to have done because for one thing, the Silverplate is not a Neutral Grey base, and second, the texture on the Wall would become unconscionably apparent. Adversely, there are a few Custom mixes that would present a extremely pleasing Silver-ish Grey that could be color matched to be applied to the rest of the Room. Then you could have a really nice decor and a Screen to do 200"s justice.

If you do some effective research and change your reasoning and willingness to consider achieving something really special, just give another shout out and we'll take it up again.

(...at least this advice is given: From a 21' throw, reduce your screen size to 175" diagonal on the Silverplate and you'll be giving yourself more of a chance at seeing an improvement than just about anything else....not a lot, but at least something.)

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings

Last edited by MississippiMan; 12-01-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Spelling correction of a "unconscionable" error.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-02-2019, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for your time writing a detailed response. I really appreciate that. My reasoning to keep the texture is so the room stays uniform and easily correctable if I resell. I guess I was hoping to increase gain to improve IQ to some minimal extent with magic paint.

I’ll seriously consider smoothing out the wall and rescaling the image as you mentioned to increase the lumens/sf. I’ll get back if I can do something. Happy holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-02-2019, 10:55 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Hope springs eternal!

Smooth out that wall! You'll be a daisy iffa ya do.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page