What type of lumber for diy screen? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-01-2019, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What type of lumber for diy screen?

I've read that you should use 5/4 finger jointed boards for the screen but I can't seem to find any in my area or I don't know what I'm looking for.

I'm in southern Indiana, can any provide a link to what I need to look for? Feel kinda dumb for asking but I can't image it's not available where I'm at. Or can I use something else that isn't prone to warping?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-01-2019, 08:34 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
It is not either necessary or Correct. I'd be interested (...really just curious...) as to where you read that recommendation?

The "Standard" for Frame construction wherever the longest Horizontal piece is no more than 144" is White Poplar 1x3 or 1x4 lumber. Some locations are limited to 120" lengths.

Of course in truth you can use almost any straight, true Lumber whose length can match your needs...but weight, work-ability and cost all factor in on such decisions.

Please don't embarrass a fellow Hoosier (Indy born) by sayin' yur feelin' dumb for askin'. Dumb would "not be askin' " and going on to make a bad choice. If you have a Home Depot in your area, they should sell at least 120" long 1x / 1x4 Poplar. Lowes is usually restricted to 96"ers.

The real deal is to hand pick every piece for straightness. No bows...no twists...no bends.

Poplar is both a hard enough wood to be very rigid, yet soft enough to allow for easy screwing / assembly / Stapling...and it's lighter than a comparable piece of Pine or Fir or Spruce.

So...how big is your proposed Screen Frame? What material is going onto it? Fill in the gaps here and you'll get all the answers you need, not just "Got Wood?"

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In my area, I've had much better luck finding quality poplar at Menards so give them a try if they are in your area.

MississippiMan, I think the reference to the 5/4 FJP wood is from the mega-thread awhile back in one of the first threads using the "goal-post" design to build a false "wall" to hang the screen from. The recommendation there was to use the 5/4 FJP boards for the goal-post part. But you are right, the standard recommendation for the screen frame itself has always been poplar as far as I can tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Home Depot is local and Menard's is just a 20 minute drive from here.

I assume this is what I'm looking for? https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4445134648.htm

I'm thinking 110" 16x9 screen. The wall is 125" wide and I need to leave room for speakers. Haven't decided on material yet. I used plain blackout cloth years ago and most recently painted (rolled) a 4x8 board behr ceiling white. All temporary solutions.

This is going in a family room that I have total light control over but the ceiling, carpet and walls are light colors. I can paint the wall behind the screen dark gray but that's it.

Been running myself in circles trying to decide on which projector to get. I want to stay under $1500 for the projector and preferably less but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options in that price range for decent pixel shift 4k projectors. I have a throw distance of 12.5ft. Cables are ran and the projector mount is up. Just need to decide on screen and projector.

Didn't have a choice on where to put the projector mount, that's why I went ahead and hung it.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 10:42 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Tom,

The best "Budget Choice" is the Epson 3800

After that the Epson 4010

Gosh darn it...the Screen wall is the least important to paint as far as actual performance. The Ceiling directly above the Screen is the worst offender, followed by the Wall at each side if they are closer than 5' from thr Screen's edges.

Painting the Screen Wall a dark Grey makes it look great, and compliments the Projected image. But that's it.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #6 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

I might be able to get by with painting the wall to the right of the screen the dark gray color. There is no wall to the left. Any suggestions on ceiling color that the wife might approve of that's better than ceiling white? I know that's a loaded question. LOL

This is my main room for watching TV but not my home theater. That room is gutted down to the studs right now waiting on the spray foam guy to do his thing then i'll be starting on that project.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-08-2019, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to paint the entire room Glidden Granite Gray. Looks good and with the lights off it appears fairly dark. The ceiling looks "Hospital White" compared to the walls now. Not sure I like the look of that.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-08-2019, 06:26 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom J. Davis View Post
I was able to paint the entire room Glidden Granite Gray. Looks good and with the lights off it appears fairly dark. The ceiling looks "Hospital White" compared to the walls now. Not sure I like the look of that.

If you paint the Ceiling with a Neutral Grey that is even 1/2 as dark as the Granite Grey you will notice a BIG improvement as far as unwanted reflections.

post #9 of 12 Old 12-08-2019, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
If you paint the Ceiling with a Neutral Grey that is even 1/2 as dark as the Granite Grey you will notice a BIG improvement as far as unwanted reflections.

• 00NN 31/000 M . . . . "Icon Grey" (~N6)
  • 00NN 37/000 W/B . . "Granite Gray" (~N6.5)
  • 00NN 45/000 ??? . . . "Dover Grey"
  • 00NN 53/000 W/B . . "Veil" (~N7.5)
  • 00NN 62/000 W/B . . "Universal Gray" (~N8)
  • 00NN 72/000 W/B . . "Snow Field" (~N8.5)

I could probably get away with the Universal Gray. Would that be worthwhile? I assume anything would be better than white.
post #10 of 12 Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom J. Davis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

• 00NN 31/000 M . . . . "Icon Grey" (~N6)
  • 00NN 37/000 W/B . . "Granite Gray" (~N6.5)
  • 00NN 45/000 ??? . . . "Dover Grey"
  • 00NN 53/000 W/B . . "Veil" (~N7.5)
  • 00NN 62/000 W/B . . "Universal Gray" (~N8)
  • 00NN 72/000 W/B . . "Snow Field" (~N8.5)

I could probably get away with the Universal Gray. Would that be worthwhile? I assume anything would be better than white.
Is it recommended to use flat on all the walls?
post #11 of 12 Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

I used eggshell since this is a family room and flat paint scuffs so easily.
post #12 of 12 Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody know the difference in screen gain between JoAnn blackout cloth, a wall painted with Behr ceiling white and spandex? I know the spandex is considered to be .7 Not sure about the others. I need to post a picture of my wall as it's a very strange layout and in order to have anything other than very thin onwall speakers I would need to use an AT screen.

Starting to think I should have just hung a flat panel on the wall and been done with it. This was supposed to be a small side project. Was going to spend around $1600 on a 75" tv, figured i could do a projection setup for that but it's turned into somewhat of a struggle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page