1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grey.

post #1 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
AT Spandex Attic Screen

I'm in the beginning stages of designing the screen I'm going to build, and any advice, critique, or affirmation is welcome!

I am building this in my attic/bedroom of a rental house, and this is going under a slanted ceiling, so I'm trying to get creative with how I set this up. I'm not able to mount it to a wall, and I'd rather not hang it from the ceiling since I don't own the house.

I will add more specific measurements later for my room, but the projector (an old Panasonic AE3000U, with a young lamp) is about 11' from where the screen will be, and seating about 9'. I'm thinking a screen between 85"-95". I'm planning on using the typical white over black milliskin spandex.

I've attached a picture of my most recent idea. This frame is 80" x 45", on top of a piece of IKEA BestA furniture. May look for something a little deeper and sturdier for the base, but this would be cheap. The shelf in the middle would be for the center channel speaker, and this whole thing would be secured to the base(tv stand). Would most likely put the left and right speakers on either side of the screen, but may try behind the screen, I'm just worried about them being too close to the middle.

The last thing I've been trying to figure out is how I want to do a border around the screen, whether it's outside or inside the current screen dimensions. I do think a border would be good, since my walls are all white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.png
Views:	67
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	2649228  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 01:37 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 320 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 1890
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
The size screen your planning is ideally suited for Spandex having a lower than usual Gain.

You have your Spandex Colors right. You need 2.5 yards of each.

Trim-wise...if you want a Black Velvet Trim or say...2" width, then you should make the entire Screen Frame to a close enough size that would allow the image area to be properly formatted "after" any such Trim is applied. In other words...the Frame would be almost 2" larger on all sides than the proposed Image size. A sizing of 1-1/2" larger would mean that properly sized / cut Trim, when applied...would leave only 1/4"of overlap of Screen trim around the edges.

Do it such a manner would allow the edge of any such Trim to have both the backing of the Screen Frame behind it, and the outside edge would be "almost" flush to the outside edges of the Frame.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 10 Old 12-04-2019, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

MississippiMan, thank you for blessing me with your knowledge. When I get into actually building this, I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures.

So... I can determine the proper screen size, then build the frame 2" (or slightly less?) out on all sides to compensate for the trim.

2" trim sounds good! I found this old thread: forum/110-diy-screen-section/865218-wrapping-black-velvet-trim-mitered-butt-joined-ends.html (only have 1 post, so I can't put the link here yet)
do you still recommend building the trim this way? (just using 2" wide wood in my case?) and nailing the trim to the frame?

When you say "almost" flush to the outside edges of the frame, would that be the 1/4" overlap you mentioned? (I pictured that as 1/4" hanging over the outside of the frame, correct me if I misunderstood)

Thanks again! If you want to see how I'm currently projecting in my room, I'll post a picture, but it's shameful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-05-2019, 01:11 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey. View Post
MississippiMan, thank you for blessing me with your knowledge. When I get into actually building this, I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures.

So... I can determine the proper screen size, then build the frame 2" (or slightly less?) out on all sides to compensate for the trim.

2" trim sounds good! I found this old thread: forum/110-diy-screen-section/865218-wrapping-black-velvet-trim-mitered-butt-joined-ends.html (only have 1 post, so I can't put the link here yet) do you still recommend building the trim this way? (just using 2" wide wood in my case?) and nailing the trim to the frame?
Hello again...

That is correct. If you build the Frame "On Edge", the 3/4" edge will allow you to nail the Trim onto the frame, and the 2" trim will create the inside edges of the Image parameters. You could also build a Frame "Flat" since your Frame will be so small, using 1x3 Poplar, then use the 2" Trim (3.25" Base ripped to 2" wide) in the smae manner.

Quote:
When you say "almost" flush to the outside edges of the frame, would that be the 1/4" overlap you mentioned? (I pictured that as 1/4" hanging over the outside of the frame, correct me if I misunderstood)
Again...that is correct. As such the Trim both covers the Spandex edges as well as protects that edge.

Quote:
Thanks again! If you want to see how I'm currently projecting in my room, I'll post a picture, but it's shameful.
Ha! We've seen loosely hung Bed sheets.....textured Walls....Walls of all colors....and there is no shame in first efforts. Only in accepting results that are less than deserved.

That is intolerable!

Also not posting images is intolerable......always share...provide all the information you can...first and last. T'is what drives DIY Screen making.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 10 Old 12-05-2019, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Here are pictures of my current setup! It was enough to make me get rid of my TV, and enough to make me desire much more out of this projector that I happened upon.

I can't wait to get into building! Especially, now that I think I know what I'm doing. (Thanks MississippiMan) I look forward to sharing my progress!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1033.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2650000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2650002  
post #6 of 10 Old 12-30-2019, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Progress is being made!

All that remains is to nail the velvet border onto the screen, the easiest way we could find to do this, since the screen doesn't lay flat on it's back, was to get all the trim pieces ready, lay them face down on the floor, then staple between the mitered corners to hold them together. We then lay the screen face down on top of the border and started nailing through the back of the screen into the trim.

We had to stop because it was midnight and people were wanting to sleep below us. However we did get enough nails in to hold the trim up and get a quick test picture on the projector.

It looked great to me! I'll post pictures below. More to come when everything is set up and complete.

Also, will never use a hand miter saw for something like this again. It was a slow process.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1163.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	2661084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1165.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	2661086   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1168.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	2661088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1173.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2661090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	2661092  

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	2661094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1181.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	2661096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1182.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2661098  
post #7 of 10 Old 12-30-2019, 08:53 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

A few "Cart before the Horse" steps, and I would have instead fashioned a French Cleat hanging system so the Screen could be removed from the support cradle, but all in all the end result certainly looks to have justified the means of getting there.

Nice Work!

post #8 of 10 Old 12-30-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
A few "Cart before the Horse" steps, and I would have instead fashioned a French Cleat hanging system
Yeah it was a learning process, would do a few things differently next time, but I'm very happy with it! I wanted to do a French Cleat, but lack of a table saw scared me away. Next time I'll be better equipped in the tool department and there very well may be a next time, this was a fun project!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-02-2020, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Here it is! my completed screen! Thanks MississippiMan for your years of experience all over this forum, it was a massive help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1197.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2662692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1210.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2662694  
pkinneb likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-02-2020, 08:04 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey. View Post
Here it is! my completed screen! Thanks MississippiMan for your years of experience all over this forum, it was a massive help.

Thank you for that.

Your project looks great. Not many can pull off a decent looking "Screen on a Stand"application like you managed. I'm glad to have been whatever help I could be.

MM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Tags
at screen , attic , diy , projector , spandex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page