ALR paint suggestions for Optoma hdr50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 12-08-2019, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
ALR paint suggestions for Optoma hdr50

I have a uhd50 Optoma with 2400 Lumins , I mainly watch TV, movies at night because I am a chef . Projector is in living room . So there are light on sometimes like Max 2 lamps .. no direct sunlight I have blinds covering the windows and when I watch tv in the day these are always closed . Projector will be 11.8 feet back from screen I am thinking 110 inch screen . Just a lot of different information out there I read through the ALR paint forum on here went though about 30 of the 150 pages .. lots of formulas .. I sent one of the guys with a ton of post . “Actually the guys who started is a PM about his recommendation. I was wondering some of the other people DIY recommendations for paint ratios as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 12-08-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 451
This is what I used:

TV white.
https://us.rosco.com/en/product/tv-paint

and it works well with my 145in screen. I have a white ceiling and cream carpets but I put up black curtains to cover the sliding glass door and the opposite interior wall. I would not normally have lights on whilst watching HDR content, but I suspect that you could get away with it using a ~110in screen and broadcast SDR content. You could probably blend TV white with some white paint to increase the gain, however, that is not something I am familiar with. Mississippi Man might have some suggestions.

At 11.8ft (11ft 10in) you could get up to a 135in screen.
post #3 of 45 Old 12-08-2019, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
This is what I used:

TV white.
https://us.rosco.com/en/product/tv-paint

and it works well with my 145in screen. I have a white ceiling and cream carpets but I put up black curtains to cover the sliding glass door and the opposite interior wall. I would not normally have lights on whilst watching HDR content, but I suspect that you could get away with it using a ~110in screen and broadcast SDR content. You could probably blend TV white with some white paint to increase the gain, however, that is not something I am familiar with. Mississippi Man might have some suggestions.

At 11.8ft (11ft 10in) you could get up to a 135in screen.
I am trying to leave the living room a living room and not black anything out . I had an epson 1060 That I sent back . It was projecting or a wallet was putting bright for me. So I think I’m looking for a gray screen to handle Ambient light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 12-08-2019, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

iPhone typo . I meant to say , On a wall it was plenty bright for me
post #5 of 45 Old 12-09-2019, 09:18 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 319 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4004 Post(s)
Liked: 1883
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Since the UHD50 is 4K and you want both brightness and at least a modicum of ALR capability, a contrast enhancing Grey surface with at least a 1.1 gain would be ideally suited for a 110" diagonal screen and a Throw of 12'

The UHD50 is a great 4K Projector for the money, and by keeping the Screen size within reasonable limits,you can certainly allow for ambient light...both direct and reflected, and enjoy vibrant Colors, deep Blacks, and excellent detail.

As far as the type Paint I would recommend, it is without "much" bias that I suggest Silver Fire v2.5 2.0 ( 2 oz. BF Colorant )

I say "without much..." because I know just how well it will suit your application...as that is what any / all the variations of Silver Fire are intended to do.

You might consider applying the paint onto either a fully DIY screen such as Carl's Flexi-White on a Frame...onto a Solid sheet of Expanded PVC Signboard (Sintra...my favorite) or even on a Retractable Matte White Mfg Screen.

Choose your medicine....the sugar (SF v2.5 2.0) will help it go down easily.
DunMunro likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #6 of 45 Old 12-09-2019, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

So is this the base recipe below ? Then add 2 ounces of colorant recipe of the paints that I buy from Michale’s ?

Rustoleum Metallic Accents – White Pearl 32 oz.
Rustoleum Metallic Accents – Sterling Silver 10oz.
PPG Diamond Flat 20 oz. Home Depot
Rustoleum's Ultimate Polyurethane Matte Finish (water based) 20 oz.
Distilled Water 32 oz.
post #7 of 45 Old 12-09-2019, 09:37 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley True View Post
So is this the base recipe below ? Then add 2 ounces of colorant recipe of the paints that I buy from Michale’s ?

Rustoleum Metallic Accents – White Pearl 32 oz.
Rustoleum Metallic Accents – Sterling Silver 10oz.
PPG Diamond Flat 20 oz. Home Depot
Rustoleum's Ultimate Polyurethane Matte Finish (water based) 20 oz.
Distilled Water 32 oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley True
What is the silver fire recipe . I saw ones woth red and megenta and other colors in it ? I though it was just a couple different colors from Lowe’s ? I am so confused thanks .. would a Carl’s ALR screen work just as well ? Another question if I go the route you said Carl Whitt screen and paint silver fire do I need to use a paint sprayer ? Thanks so much

Wesly,

Painting an advanced DIY Screen isn't really difficult. I show /help about dozen or more fellow members each Month. But it has to be done right...the first time. That is what I'm here for...to help make success be assured.

Carl's ALR screen is one solution, but it's by no means better than or even as good as the Silver Fire is. And the Silver Fire is almost infinitely adjustable....any Mfg Screen is only what it is and cannot become anything else but.

But I make a lot of Screens by starting out with the Carl's Flexi-White, and the spraying on Silver Fire (...or Black Flame...)

There is nothing like it at any Store, and it does require that all the different components be compiled. But it always must be sprayed on.

The formula you posted is correct...and is what is called the Reflective/Viscosity Base if Colorant is to be applied...or simply Silver Fire v2.5 N/C (no colorant) if it is used by itself. And in your situation, you just might not need the Colorant.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #8 of 45 Old 12-09-2019, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Because you mentioned that very long thread rather than its shorter cousin, I'm guessing you're looking for a rollable mix and not a spray-on mix?...or is spraying with a ~$50-$60 gun an option?

Sticking toward a screensize of 110" at the longest throw-ratio you can (nearly 12ft back) like you mentioned are both really helpful. That screen size will be easier for the UHD50 to light-up nicely, and the long-as-possible throw will help any paintmix screen show the most uniformly bright image it can (helps it avoid hotspotting).

It looks like the uhd50 doesn't really do 3D (except when connected to a computer) so 2D only..that's easier to plan around. It outputs around 700lm full-color in EcoLamp and up to 1200lm/800lm FullLamp/EcoLamp with some extra white brightness...not bad at all for a non-RGB DLP.
It looks like an 0.8gain mix/screen should be plenty for SDR content on a 110" screen, but a higher-gain mix/screen can help if you'll be watching a lot of HDR content.
Do you have any plans for (or hatred against) HDR movies?

Having your lights positioned where they'll hit the screen at much more of a sideways angle can really help any light-fighting screen, but I understand that moving things around isn't always an option....just saying it in case you do have the option to move things around to get the best performance you can while still liking how the room is setup. Good positioning can make impressive improvements.

Sorry for all the questions. I just figured it's better to ask and then plan for your setup as much as possible. If this is too tedius, just let me know if you'd prefer a faster recommendation...that won't be bad, just might not be quite as good as something a bit more personalized.
Also, it looks like you either have your profile set to block PersonalMessages, or the forum might not let you recieve them until you have 10-20posts...which seems weird, usually it won't let new folks send PM's but recieving is fine I thought, this seems backwards.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 12-10-2019 at 12:02 AM.
post #9 of 45 Old 12-10-2019, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a pic of my room this might help only 2 lamps as you can see . Projector screen is going where tv is . Uhd50 is in the mail . There are windows on the right they only get direct sunlight at about 4pm to 6 which at this time I typically do not watch tv . I had a epson 1060 for about a week and I had no problems watching tv at any time of the day especially when the blinds were down and that was just projected on the wall . I love HDR and have quite the hatred for standard definition but unfortunately the cable company doesn’t always upscale . Basically the only TV I watch is football games on Sunday and I’m always watching movies at night and YouTube . Wife watches Hallmark channel but not too concerned about the clarity she really does not care. I’m looking for the cheapest option but I don’t want It to look like crap. I was trying to find a expanded PVC boards but no luck. Does Lowes or Home Depot sell them? Can I use any paint sprayer? I find them as low as $20 on Amazon. I used to have a compressor And a gun I wish I never got rid of it. Do I need ALR screen ? Would Carl’s flex grey work well ? Should I just buy that and if it I don’t like it spray over it ? ..but I am sure I’ll like it because I have been projection on a wall . I am a chef and I have a saying .. if you have been eating Hersheys your whole life you think it’s good. When you taste real chocolate you know you have been eating
Garbage your whole life. I don’t want this to happen . Also I think I fixed the pm ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEC0D859-B65B-4DE4-BD61-581F664D9EF3_1575984464196.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	2651940  
post #10 of 45 Old 12-10-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The new projector will have much better contrast but won't be nearly as bright as the Epson1060 was, so don't expect it to punch through as much light/sunlight as before...but you'll be able to get much deeper blacks and a nicer image at night when you're usually watching.

An ALR screen or paint will help fight reflections from the nearby ceiling and will also fight that lamp toward the right of the TV really well, but the window behind the seats will still washout an ALR screen/paint if it's open and the lamp near the seats can still washout an ALR screen/paint nearly as badly as a plain wall...so an ALR screen should help but it won't work miracles against some of that lighting.

I think Carls FlexiGrey might be a little dim for HDR content and a screen or paint that's closer to 1.0-1.3gain will be a better option for HDR.
FlexiWhite is a good option if you want to try a white screen with the option to paint it later if you feel like it's washing out too easily from the ceiling reflections and the lamp to the right of the TV.
If you're okay with a smaller screensize of 98", then painting a $15 panel of ThriftyWhite hardboard from HomeDepot is both very affordable AND the smaller screensize will naturally be about 20% brighter.

You'll want to use an electric HVLP sprayer, no air-tank..just plugs into the wall. The main important part beyond that is getting one with a smaller tip/needle that can work well with very thin/watery paint, atomizing the watery mix finely and evenly without coughing or dripping. I went super cheap with the little Wagner OptiStain (I had to buy from Walmart because Homedepot and other larger hardware shops didn't carry guns this small at the time), but there are fancier options that can be better if you miss your old gun and want to get back into spraying for other jobs. The fancier guns (as long as they still have a small tip/needle option available for the screen) can be more flexible down the road if you want them for other things.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 12-10-2019 at 01:10 PM.
post #11 of 45 Old 12-10-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here is a pic of my room this might help only 2 lamps as you can see . Projector screen is going where tv is . Uhd50 is in the mail . There are windows on the right they only get direct sunlight at about 4pm to 6 which at this time I typically do not watch tv . I had a epson 1060 for about a week and I had no problems watching tv at any time of the day especially when the blinds were down and that was just projected on the wall . I love HDR and have quite the hatred for standard definition but unfortunately the cable company doesn’t always upscale . Basically the only TV I watch is football games on Sunday and I’m always watching movies at night and YouTube . Wife watches Hallmark channel but not too concerned about the clarity she really does not care. I’m looking for the cheapest option but I don’t want It to look like crap. I was trying to find a expanded PVC boards but no luck. Does Lowes or Home Depot sell them? Can I use any paint sprayer? I find them as low as $20 on Amazon. I used to have a compressor And a gun I wish I never got rid of it. Do I need ALR screen ? Would Carl’s flex grey work well ? Should I just buy that and if it I don’t like it spray over it ? ..but I am sure I’ll like it because I have been projection on a wall . I am a chef and I have a saying .. if you have been eating Hersheys your whole life you think it’s good. When you taste real chocolate you know you have been eating
Garbage your whole life. I don’t want this to happen . Also I think I fixed the pm ..
I would fit black drapes (these also will greatly increase contrast at night), or a roller shade over the Venetian blinds. I would replace the lamp beside Santa with something like this:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/f...?rrec=true#spc
(shine one light onto the ceiling, the other onto the floor)

so the light is more directional, and doesn't shine directly onto the screen or into the viewers eyes. The other lamps are problematic as well. Lamps similar to the above would be my preferance.

Having a UHD50 and a 145in low gain grey screen, I would suggest using an ALR screen or screen paint (which is my suggestion also).

Last edited by DunMunro; 12-10-2019 at 01:31 PM.
post #12 of 45 Old 12-10-2019, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Wife not letting me replace that lamp .. can’t do and black drapes or anything like that. We are in a small rental house right now so the black drapes etc can be for my own room if when we move to another place . Looks like it cost about 100$ in paint an another 50 for sprayer . I got some Carl’s samples in today an projector will be here Monday . I am going to test those out and post my experience with pics through the week . We’re very busy at the restaurant this week and next so will see if I get around to it but will defiantly post my opinion of the Carl’s etc by Christmas. ..
post #13 of 45 Old 12-10-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like it cost about 100$ in paint an another 50 for sprayer . I got some Carl’s samples in today an projector will be here Monday . I am going to test those out and post my experience with pics through the week . We’re very busy at the restaurant this week and next so will see if I get around to it but will defiantly post my opinion of the Carl’s etc by Christmas. ..
If you can find FolkArt Metallic (Silver, Pearl and GunmetalGrey are all nice options that can be used together or you can use just Silver...about $2.50/2oz bottle and you'll want about $15 worth) at Walmart art/craft section or Joanne/Micheal's craft stores plus a matte-finish water-based polyurethane (HomeDepot sells quarts for around $15)...these can make a simple 12ozFolkArtMetallic, 12oz MatteWaterbasedPoly, 12ozWater mix for a 110" screen that costs around $30.

If you decide to paint and go with the FolkArt+poly+water mix, then I suggest either using 6 2oz bottles of SilverSterling...or if you can't find that many at once you can instead use 1 2oz bottle of GunmetalGrey metallic plus 2-4 2oz bottles of Pearl Metallic, plus 1-3 2oz bottles of SilverSterling metallic which can create a similar overall mix.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the Carl's samples.

post #14 of 45 Old 12-10-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wife not letting me replace that lamp .. can’t do and black drapes or anything like that. We are in a small rental house right now so the black drapes etc can be for my own room if when we move to another place . Looks like it cost about 100$ in paint an another 50 for sprayer . I got some Carl’s samples in today an projector will be here Monday . I am going to test those out and post my experience with pics through the week . We’re very busy at the restaurant this week and next so will see if I get around to it but will defiantly post my opinion of the Carl’s etc by Christmas. ..
Those lamps are going to really kill contrast. You could try and replace the existing bulbs with ones that are directional such as:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...0047/309572868

ALR screens have a tough time if the light is arriving in the same direction as the projector.
post #15 of 45 Old 12-10-2019, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I have bulbs hooked to my Alexa I can change Brightness and color .
post #16 of 45 Old 12-11-2019, 06:26 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Those lamps are going to really kill contrast. You could try and replace the existing bulbs with ones that are directional such as:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...0047/309572868

ALR screens have a tough time if the light is arriving in the same direction as the projector.

While that is true to to some extent, either more or less, it is wholly dependent upon two important factors:

• The Projector's specifications. ie: Lumen Output and Contrast. Any image that starts out with both deeper Blacks and a higher degree of Contrast has a certain increased amount of ALR (resistance) built in to resist intrusive light...more so than an image will lessor amount of both.

• Some (...but not all...) ALR Screens also work to increase "perceived" Gain by redirecting light and perceived Contrast by deepening Black levels while maintaining the brightness of Colors and Whites. Others (basic Grey screens) simply darken the Blacks alone, depending upon a PJ's output to compensate/

I've encountered many instances where "properly used" lighting did not adversely affect a projected image, exactly because of an effort made to not encounter the issue mentioned in the last statement by @DunMunro . And if a adequate balance is struck between Room lighting, a PJ's own performance parameters, and the qualities inherent in the Screen, the overall performance (image quality) can be outstanding.

There are no absolutes in all of this...so pains should always be taken to optimize any given situation whenever possible. Otherwise one is just "making do". Sadly, we see that on this Forum all too much.

post #17 of 45 Old 12-11-2019, 06:29 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
We’re very busy at the restaurant this week and next so will see if I get around to it but will defiantly post my opinion of the Carl’s etc by Christmas. ..

Don't you dare!

But definitely do..................

post #18 of 45 Old 12-15-2019, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I used the samples from Carl’s place ALR is on left, flexie gray on right from my opinion my light grey wall is better than the flexi grey . I tried a few different grey and everyone says it make the black so much better . But what about the whites ? The white was grey not white anymore and that bugs me more than having deep blacks ? Please comment on this . I feel I would either rather project on my wall . Use a white screen even during ambient lighting , buy the ALR. Or paint an ALR with silver fire .. I am leaning toward buying a white screen . And do the ALR painting done the road .. does any one else agree with me about using a grey screen that it dulls the look to much even during ambient lighting conditions. Please don’t get mad or hate on me but I do admit I do like a vibrant picture which I know it’s not 100% accurate. Any one want to ship a sample with silver fire sprayed on it ? I’ll pay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19FA36C5-B04C-4F7F-A3EA-1B1600E14C31_1576438502224.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2654464   Click image for larger version

Name:	24F6938A-716C-4E19-8983-324B866A2B3E_1576438521367.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2654466  
post #19 of 45 Old 12-15-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I used the samples from Carl’s place ALR is on left, flexie gray on right from my opinion my light grey wall is better than the flexi grey . I tried a few different grey and everyone says it make the black so much better . But what about the whites ? The white was grey not white anymore and that bugs me more than having deep blacks ? Please comment on this . I feel I would either rather project on my wall . Use a white screen even during ambient lighting , buy the ALR. Or paint an ALR with silver fire .. I am leaning toward buying a white screen . And do the ALR painting done the road .. does any one else agree with me about using a grey screen that it dulls the look to much even during ambient lighting conditions. Please don’t get mad or hate on me but I do admit I do like a vibrant picture which I know it’s not 100% accurate. Any one want to ship a sample with silver fire sprayed on it ? I’ll pay
The UHD50 has settings for wall colour and these might help to balance the white better with a grey screen. On my grey screen, I see the whites as white.
post #20 of 45 Old 12-15-2019, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

I used the wall
Color setting . Maybe it’s just noticeable when the grey Screen sample is next to my very light grey colored wAll . then you can see the difference but when there not sides by side you can’t tell ? Kind a like you don’t realize black is not really black in a cheaper tv until you see OLED .
post #21 of 45 Old 12-15-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I used the wall
Color setting . Maybe it’s just noticeable when the grey Screen sample is next to my very light grey colored wAll . then you can see the difference but when there not sides by side you can’t tell ? Kind a like you don’t realize black is not really black in a cheaper tv until you see OLED .
I guess the eye does use nearby colours as cues for perception, but in these images, the whites seemed white to me and I think the camera recorded what I saw fairly accurately:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58387974
post #22 of 45 Old 12-15-2019, 02:32 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
I used the wall

A well known truth is that ANYTIME you compare a pure White against even a light Grey, the difference becomes patently obvious. Even if the Grey has a higher gain than the White. Yet that is still what many do when they try samples. Doing such can skew a person's reasoning.....which makes it a sad truth as well.

The "perception" of White as opposed to Black can be increased, not by overly brightening Whites with excessive gain, but by disproportionately deepening the Blacks through attenuation. To do that takes either a well designed Mfg Screen surface...or a well designed DIY Screen paint. The latter being much less expensive.

post #23 of 45 Old 12-15-2019, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

So what your saying is have faith ? I believe in god so I guess I can have faith that a grey or ALR screen will help .. lol
post #24 of 45 Old 12-15-2019, 07:04 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
So what your saying is have faith ? I believe in god so I guess I can have faith that a grey or ALR screen will help .. lol

Faith is something that one maintains while actual proof is unavailable.

(...but I'm not so sure I'd compare belief in "the Big Guy" to a Projection Screen...He's a LOT bigger...)

If you correctly choose a good ALR Paint....(...or a acceptable ALR Screen...) it's a "take it to the Bank" cinch to satisfy at minimum your basic needs.

A basic Grey? Now THAT would be setting yourself up for a backslide down that 'ol slippery slope...

post #25 of 45 Old 12-16-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got my samples last week and have a similar experience as you. My projector is shooting on a piece of drywall that hasnt even been painted and I felt it looked better.
I have a different projector however.

Quote:
post #26 of 45 Old 12-16-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

I tried the ALR screen sample once again . I will will Definitely change my answer to whites were wider than definitely change my answer the Whites were whiter than the wall, And the blacks were blacker This thread has change in the something else
I think it’s time to close it . Or maybe move it to another forum if you can. For me all the help on here has been valuable in help picking what to do . There are so many options it’s quite confusing. If you just don’t do any research youll end up wasting a lot of money. So I have decided to go a ALR . Now do I decide if I wanna paint it or buy a screen
post #27 of 45 Old 12-16-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have a silver fire screen sample I can buy? Or is there any silver fire to entry level ALR comparisons. Like silver fire vs Carl’s , silver fire vs Cinagrey 3D or 5d
post #28 of 45 Old 12-16-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone have a silver fire screen sample I can buy? Or is there any silver fire to entry level ALR comparisons. Like silver fire vs Carl’s , silver fire vs Cinagrey 3D or 5d
I have a few sprayed SilverFire samples as well as the Carls sample pack. It shouldn't be too hard to get some pictures for you. Which of the Carls samples would you like to see compared to the SilverFire?

post #29 of 45 Old 12-16-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Just Carl’s ALR in ambient lighting thanks
post #30 of 45 Old 12-16-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just Carl’s ALR in ambient lighting thanks
These are a sprayed SilverFire NC variant on the left and Carl's ALR on the right. The projector was roughly even with the top of the image/screen at a ~1.45:1 throw-ratio (a bit shorter than yours) with the viewing position/camera a little in front of the projector's position (roughly 1.2:1). The angled left/right images were taken from a position a little beyond the screen's left/right edge from about the same distance while most of the middle images were from a center seat position.
These were taken while there was still a fair amount of daylight coming in from a large window to the right (hitting the screens at roughly a 60degree angle), but it wasn't direct sunlight. I think your situation will be better with your window coverings and/or later viewing times.

I also screwed up by not re-focusing the projector after it heated up, so the crappy focus isn't the screens nor the camera...it's me focusing the PJ after setting up and then not adjusting it again after fighting with the internet for video reception. Also, though some parts of some images might look like the highlights are blown out..that's the camera's crappy dynamic range, the screens both look good in person.

In person, Carl'sALR looks like it's darker-colored and it holds deeper blacks. They both have similar brightness when viewed from the center which gives the Carl'sALR a higher-contrast appearance from its deeper blacklevel, but the lighter color of the SilverFire mix allows it to dim less when viewed from farther toward the sides (like the ends of a sectional couch or extra seat/s).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cheeta forest plains.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	2654916   Click image for larger version

Name:	lion pour.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	2654918  
DunMunro likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page