Need suggestions for ALR paint for Epson Home Cinema 2150 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-09-2019, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need suggestions for ALR paint for Epson Home Cinema 2150

I have an Epson Home Cinema 2150 with 2500 lumens. I plan to use it in my walk-out basement which has three windows and a sliding patio door - so definitely plan to use either room darkening blinds or curtains. The projector will be mounted ~16 feet from a 130 inch screen and will be used mainly for movies and sports (90%) and maybe upto 10% of the time for 3D content. I'd prefer to go the DIY screen way rather than installing a screen.

Could you please suggest paint recommendations for my projection wall - i.e. shade(s), brand(s), ratio if mixed, roller type, number of coats etc. I'm a complete newbie to projectors and HT systems hence need all the help I can get.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-09-2019, 08:29 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 320 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 1890
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalaana View Post
I have an Epson Home Cinema 2150 with 2500 lumens. I plan to use it in my walk-out basement which has three windows and a sliding patio door - so definitely plan to use either room darkening blinds or curtains. The projector will be mounted ~16 feet from a 130 inch screen and will be used mainly for movies and sports (90%) and maybe upto 10% of the time for 3D content. I'd prefer to go the DIY screen way rather than installing a screen.

Could you please suggest paint recommendations for my projection wall - i.e. shade(s), brand(s), ratio if mixed, roller type, number of coats etc. I'm a complete newbie to projectors and HT systems hence need all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Hello...and welcome to the DIY Screen Forum.

3D eh? Well with a 130" diagonal\l screen you will need a Paint application that preserves / supplies adequate Gain.

The 2150 certainly can drive a bright image onto a 130"screen in normal 1080p, however 3D will see the lumen output drop fully by 50%. That will still be fairly bright though...enough so you'll have satisfying 3D imagery.

Get yourself to Home Depot and purchase some PPG Diamond White Base and have the Tech at Home Depot tint it to Universal Grey. That's it.

If you must Roll, use a high quality, Free Spinning 9" Roller Wand (w/Ball Bearings) and Top quality Shed-Free Roller Covers (3/8" Nap)

Roll that paint out onto a smooth White surface....if you have any experience Rolling, you should accomplish a decent coating in Two Coats.

If by chance you want truly remarkable results, akin to the very best Mfg Screens, you will have to consider using more advanced Paint Mixes, and / or Spraying on whatever paint you choose. Frankly, it's easier to learn how to apply a perfect Coat using a Sprayer than it is for a Noob to Rolling to effect a perfect Roll Job. And advanced Screen Paint Mixes always need to be sprayed.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page