138"ish 16:9 AT Spandex Screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Justin Kerns
  • 1 Post By Justin Kerns

post #1 of 13 Old 03-08-2020, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
145" 16:9 AT Spandex Screen

I'm designing my first DIY screen and have read pretty much every thread in here going back a ways. I just want to check some things before proceeding and appreciate any help.

My setup:
Optoma HD39HDR
Throw: 14'
AR: 16:9
Ambient Light: Well controlled
Ceiling Height: 9'
Room Footprint: 14' wide x 27' deep

I've been projecting on a wall for some time to get a sense of good screen size relative to viewing distance, etc. In an ideal universe I'd like to go 145" diagonal. The problem I'm having with that is frankly I'm having a hell of a time finding any 1x3 hardwood in 12' lengths that is remotely straight around here. I'm tempted to just cut the width down to 10' and go with the resulting 138" diagonal but then part of me doesn't want to give up that screen real estate. I haven't looked at any specialty wood suppliers, just been looking at the box stores for now. Any thoughts on that?

Also I'm wondering if I can use the standard 80/20 spandex at the 138" size or if the 67.5" height with added margin for the edges and stapling is too far to stretch this material? I assume if I go any larger than that I'd have to use the 120" spandex for black and white. Is that correct?

Justin

Last edited by Justin Kerns; 04-27-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-08-2020, 04:21 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 372 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked: 2123
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kerns View Post
I'm designing my first DIY screen and have read pretty much every thread in here going back a ways. I just want to check some things before proceeding and appreciate any help.

My setup:
Optoma HD39HDR
Throw: 14'
AR: 16:9
Ambient Light: Well controlled
Ceiling Height: 9'
Room Footprint: 14' wide x 27' deep

I've been projecting on a wall for some time to get a sense of good screen size relative to viewing distance, etc. In an ideal universe I'd like to go 145" diagonal. The problem I'm having with that is frankly I'm having a hell of a time finding any 1x3 hardwood in 12' lengths that is remotely straight around here. I'm tempted to just cut the width down to 10' and go with the resulting 138" diagonal but then part of me doesn't want to give up that screen real estate. I haven't looked at any specialty wood suppliers, just been looking at the box stores for now. Any thoughts on that?

Hello!
OK....nuthin' like an easy solution to speed things on their way......
.......and in the size that was universally desired. I see mentioned a specific format of 16:9 and the main concern being getting your Wood.straight enough to satisfy the need..

Ergo....a Sectional Frame made from the straightest 8'ers you can hand pick. (...a usually more governable task...)

Starting off, a Constant Image Height approach that easily uses the 58" wide spandex.

The Size / Format above provides a maximized Widescreen image while still providing a over 124" diagonal 16:9

Quote:
Also I'm wondering if I can use the standard 80/20 spandex at the 138" size or if the 67.5" height with added margin for the edges and stapling is too far to stretch this material? I assume if I go any larger than that I'd have to use the 120" spandex for black and white. Is that correct?

Sure you can....if you do it precisely, pulling equally in every direction.

Here is the largest I would suggest in 16:9.

Of course anything else smaller works too. A simpler done 138"er if finding some straight stock allows.

When you use the Standard sized 80/20 and stretch it out to 70", your as far as you should attempt to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	140 Inch 16x9 on-Edge 1x3 Frame.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	2695146   Click image for larger version

Name:	138 Inch 16x9 on-Edge 1x3 Frame.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	2695164   Click image for larger version

Name:	144 Inch 2.39 to1 1x4 - 1x3 Frame.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	2695170  

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 13 Old 03-09-2020, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the information! I'm actually in love with CIH setups and have wanted one for years. When I set out on this journey I was planning to do CIH as I'm primarily a movie watcher myself. However after discussions with my wife and kids I've changed my approach and need to put a higher priority on 16:9 for their purposes (TV, gaming, etc.). I love the 140" 16:9 design you posted as it's really the best of both worlds. They get a large 16:9 screen and I get the max width scope setup that my room will support. Fortunately I have high enough ceilings to make it work.

In an ideal universe I'd upgrade the projector to one with power lens shift/zoom and memory to maximize pixels for scope content but getting all of that with HDR, 4K and sufficient lumen output is out of reach of my budget at the moment. But that is a future consideration for sure.

I'm still unclear on the spandex stretch limits though. For the 140" 16:9 screen we're looking at a height of 71" plus another 7" or more to wrap around the frame and staple to the back. Is that correct? Is it possible to stretch the material that much without negative impacts or do I need to go to the 120" material? I'd really rather stay with the 80/20 if possible but will use the 120" if appropriate.

Next step is to order my spandex. For that screen I probably need 3.5 or 4 yards of each color right?

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-10-2020, 07:12 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

When stretching 80/20 to the limit, it's best to employ a "Staple to the Sides" technique, then add a 3/4" (1x3 or 1x4 with Velvet wrap) overlay around the perimeter to cover the Staples and provide a very small Edge Mask. A 140" diagonal screen with just 3/4" Black surround certainly qualifies as being a Zero Edge.

Otherwise, choosing a 120" White from Rose Brand or Spandex World is almost the only other option.

However there is another.....the Carl's Place Flexi-Nano over Black Spandex. More gain....very important at the larger sizes.
Flexi-White Nano AT

As for the length of Spandex needed.... 3.5 yds Black... 4 yds White

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 13 Old 03-11-2020, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Great idea stapling to the side and masking it with something. I actually don't care about a zero edge look and would prefer some kind of black border around the screen itself. I'll give that some more thought.

I'm not sure about the Carl's material. I don't think I've read any real feedback here about the gain or acoustic qualities. I'm not terribly concerned with gain anyway due to my projector's healthy output and good ambient light control. I'll give the spandex a go and see how it is. I can always change the fabric later if desired.

Thanks again for the feedback! I'm off to find some straight 8' lumber (hopefully).

Justin
post #6 of 13 Old 04-27-2020, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

This past weekend I had time to build this screen and am so far very happy with it! I ended up going with a 145" diagonal 16:9 screen. I used the 2 piece splice with reinforcement technique as recommended by MississippiMan because I could not find lumber longer than 8' around here. Most of my 8' pieces were not super straight but everything ended up square after taking care with all the fastening and adjusting things as I went along.

I ended up stretching the milliskin spandex around to the back of this frame but it was at the limit of what it will do. I would not recommend going any larger than 71" height with that material.

Here's some photos of the build. Next steps are to darken up this wall and find some good calibration recommendations for the HD39HDR.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5498.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	2717500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5499.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	2717502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5502.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2717504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5503.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	2717506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5505.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	846.3 KB
ID:	2717508  

Name:	IMG_5507a.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	2717510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5508.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	2717512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5509.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	2717514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5510.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	2717516  

Justin
post #7 of 13 Old 04-27-2020, 03:38 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
This past weekend I had time to build this screen and am so far very happy with it! I ended up going with a 145" diagonal 16:9 screen. I used the 2 piece splice with reinforcement technique as recommended by MississippiMan because I could not find lumber longer than 8' around here. Most of my 8' pieces were not super straight but everything ended up square after taking care with all the fastening and adjusting things as I went along.

I ended up stretching the milliskin spandex around to the back of this frame but it was at the limit of what it will do. I would not recommend going any larger than 71" height with that material.

Here's some photos of the build. Next steps are to darken up this wall and find some good calibration recommendations for the HD39HDR.

Wow...all me and my friends can say is:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hallelua Chorus.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	690.5 KB
ID:	2717550  

post #8 of 13 Old 04-27-2020, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for all of your help both here and in other threads! No way I could have done this without the guidance.
jherring69 and MississippiMan like this.

Justin
post #9 of 13 Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looks great.. Thinking about doing one myself ( 110" I think) up on my third floor during this quarantine, currently reading up on some of the old threads myself... I forgot what a great resource this site is, Mississippi Man always lending a hand..😉

post #10 of 13 Old 05-23-2020, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

Any updates? Is it still in one piece?
post #11 of 13 Old 05-23-2020, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallerror View Post
Any updates? Is it still in one piece?

Really happy with this screen! The white over black gives it a slight gray tint which I think is really helping my blacks. The HDR improves blacks also but they really look good for a DLP projector. Much better than the ivory, eggshell finish textured wall I was projecting on before.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to help my brother build a 120" version for his setup. Should go much faster than my build. If you're thinking about doing this then just do it!

Justin
post #12 of 13 Old 05-23-2020, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Really happy with this screen! The white over black gives it a slight gray tint which I think is really helping my blacks. The HDR improves blacks also but they really look good for a DLP projector. Much better than the ivory, eggshell finish textured wall I was projecting on before.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to help my brother build a 120" version for his setup. Should go much faster than my build. If you're thinking about doing this then just do it!
Good to know that it’s in good condition since you had questionable height stretch. Thanks for the update
post #13 of 13 Old 05-23-2020, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallerror View Post
Good to know that it’s in good condition since you had questionable height stretch. Thanks for the update

I knew I was going to be pushing it so I sanded all the corners and sharp edges in anticipation. Didn't have any problems with tearing but I probably would have if I hadn't done that.
fatallerror likes this.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page