DIY 128” 2.39:1 Acoustically Transparent Screen build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By talon95tsi
  • 1 Post By talon95tsi

post #1 of 25 Old 03-10-2020, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
DIY 128” 2.39:1 Acoustically Transparent Screen build

Thanks to @MississippiMan for this thread where he posted the plans to build this wonderful behemoth.

I love this screen! I have an Epson 5040UB, so being able to keep constant image height for tv and movies is fantastic. Thanks for the help MississippiMan!!!

Last edited by talon95tsi; 03-10-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-10-2020, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Screen looks great! What fabric did you use for the surrounding black panels?

I also dig the username. I had a 95 Tsi AWD and it was such a fun car.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-10-2020, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJones View Post
Screen looks great! What fabric did you use for the surrounding black panels?

I also dig the username. I had a 95 Tsi AWD and it was such a fun car.
Thanks! I used the same fabric for the back of the screen, black milliskin four way stretch spandex, for the panels.

I had a 95 talon tsi FWD as my first fun car when i was 18. It was such an awesome car to modify, so fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-10-2020, 10:58 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 371 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Congratulations! Excellent work!

Ya got'ter Dun!

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #5 of 25 Old 04-06-2020, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 45
It looks great! How are the black panels attached to the wall?
post #6 of 25 Old 04-06-2020, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 187
also would like to know this, as well as lots of questions:

what white material did you use? Spandex World is closed due to Covid right now, so I'm out of luck on that front.

what is the insulation for behind the wall? Basement, new wall? Or for sound absorbing qualities? Are the panels just decorative or are they for sound? They look great like a theatre.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-06-2020, 08:10 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
also would like to know this, as well as lots of questions:

what white material did you use? Spandex World is closed due to Covid right now, so I'm out of luck on that front.

what is the insulation for behind the wall? Basement, new wall? Or for sound absorbing qualities? Are the panels just decorative or are they for sound? They look great like a theatre.

Last I checked, Rose Brand was still taking orders and shipping. https://www.rosebrand.com/product2220/120-Spandex-NFR.aspx

There are a great many choices for a good looking Sound Absorbing Material w/Insulation. Choose wisely and build your own frames and you'll spend a fraction of what others do when purchasing a ready made product.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #8 of 25 Old 04-06-2020, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Last I checked, Rose Brand was still taking orders and shipping. https://www.rosebrand.com/product2220/120-Spandex-NFR.aspx

There are a great many choices for a good looking Sound Absorbing Material w/Insulation. Choose wisely and build your own frames and you'll spend a fraction of what others do when purchasing a ready made product.
Thanks! So this says 120" spandex, and if it's stretched tight would that be enough for the 118" width? Or do I have to order the opposite direction and get 4 yards? $85 for each color. Seems more than I thought it would be, if that's correct. Also this site doesn't say Milliskin - is that what it is?
post #9 of 25 Old 04-06-2020, 09:39 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Thanks! So this says 120" spandex, and if it's stretched tight would that be enough for the 118" width? Or do I have to order the opposite direction and get 4 yards? $85 for each color. Seems more than I thought it would be, if that's correct. Also this site doesn't say Milliskin - is that what it is?
Most who order the 120" Spandex do so because they have a Screen whose height will be in excess of 72" which is the absolute maximum one should try to stretch 58" wide Milliskin.

Some do turn the material around so that the 120" "Tall" becomes 120" "Length,and when they do, most can get by handily with just 2 yards

As far as the type...it is not Milliskin. Milliskin is 4-way stretch...(20% Spandex) if stretches equally in each direction. The 120" Spandex is 2-Way Stretch...(5-8% Spandex) so it only can be aggressively stretched across the shorter "Cut" length dimension.

Going with the Rose Brand 120" isn't really "risky"....but all the same it does require a slightly different mounting onto a frame since it only really stretches in 2 directions from center.

post #10 of 25 Old 04-06-2020, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most who order the 120" Spandex do so because they have a Screen whose height will be in excess of 72" which is the absolute maximum one should try to stretch 58" wide Milliskin.

Some do turn the material around so that the 120" "Tall" becomes 120" "Length,and when they do, most can get by handily with just 2 yards

As far as the type...it is not Milliskin. Milliskin is 4-way stretch...(20% Spandex) if stretches equally in each direction. The 120" Spandex is 2-Way Stretch...(5-8% Spandex) so it only can be aggressively stretched across the shorter "Cut" length dimension.

Going with the Rose Brand 120" isn't really "risky"....but all the same it does require a slightly different mounting onto a frame since it only really stretches in 2 directions from center.
OK I see - I appreciate your message to me. I am trying to make the exact same screen as you did here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...tructions.html

However Rosebrand is my only option now with Covid. So in that case, and because Rosebrand only offers 120" not 60", your recommendation would be to get 2 yards of each color. Since it'll be 72" vertical size over 50" of screen I should be fine even though it won't stretch much. And the 120" will stretch fine over 118" of screen

edit: OR I just find a place that sells Milliskin, and get it there. And might as well buy a bunch of black while I am paying for shipping already, for my panels.

Last edited by b_scott; 04-06-2020 at 10:05 PM.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-06-2020, 10:20 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
OK I see - I appreciate your message to me. I am trying to make the exact same screen as you did here:

edit: OR I just find a place that sells Milliskin, and get it there. And might as well buy a bunch of black while I am paying for shipping already, for my panels.

DO NOT go to EBay or Amazon (unless the latter is a Prime purchase) because none of those sources have been vetted. Most sell inferior cloth...usually "Seconds".

post #12 of 25 Old 04-06-2020, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DO NOT go to EBay or Amazon (unless the latter is a Prime purchase) because none of those sources have been vetted. Most sell inferior cloth...usually "Seconds".
OK new plan, I just bought 8 yards black and 4 yards white (just in case) milliskin from Fabric Wholesale Warehouse. Done and Done. Coming Thursday
post #13 of 25 Old 04-08-2020, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Let me know how that fabric is. I just got done building the frame and was getting ready to purchase the material when I noticed Spandex World was closed for new orders. I did some searching and found FWD and thought about getting it but I haven’t seen anyone else mention that company.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-08-2020, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotu85 View Post
Let me know how that fabric is. I just got done building the frame and was getting ready to purchase the material when I noticed Spandex World was closed for new orders. I did some searching and found FWD and thought about getting it but I haven’t seen anyone else mention that company.
Will do. I'll probably make the screen in the next little bit, though it might have to wait until my walls are built because I have no way to get it into the room after I build the room.
post #15 of 25 Old 04-22-2020, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macming View Post
It looks great! How are the black panels attached to the wall?
Sorry for the lack of reply! Just seeing this now! The panels are built with 1x2 furring strips wrapped in black spandex. They have industrial velcro attached to the studs behind and the frames to keep them up.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-22-2020, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3 questions:

1. Part of the frame is in front of the L&R speakers. Did you end up moving the speakers?

2. Did you wrap or cover that pink insulation?

3. Did you consider black felt border for the screen?
post #17 of 25 Old 04-23-2020, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Connor View Post
3 questions:

1. Part of the frame is in front of the L&R speakers. Did you end up moving the speakers?

2. Did you wrap or cover that pink insulation?

3. Did you consider black felt border for the screen?

1. I did move the speakers, but those aren't my HT speakers anyway. The theater speakers are just outside those other ones, covered by the black panel already there.

2. I did not cover the insulation other than the black spandex panels or the spandex screen

3. I considered a black felt border, but I didn't want to make the screen bigger to add a border, nor make the viewable screen smaller by adding a black border around the screen as it sits now. I figured I'd be fine because the whole screen sits on black spandex panels all around it. I also just built AT side masking panels yesterday. I'll get photos of it shortly and update here.
Brent Connor likes this.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-23-2020, 09:59 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Yes....a Velvet Border would have been redundant.

post #19 of 25 Old 04-25-2020, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some room photos and the photos of the DIY side 16:9 masking panels I made for the screen: https://imgur.com/a/GM7VEbT

To attach the masking panels to the screen, I did a bit of COVID19 macgyvering and found an old IKEA picture ledge similar to this one: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/mosslan...lack-70292104/ I cut it and the ledge is almost exactly the same width as the screen, so it just hangs on top of the screen. You can easily slide them left or right to account for 1.85:1 content too.
ArieS1204 likes this.
post #20 of 25 Old 04-26-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95tsi View Post
Here are some room photos and the photos of the DIY side 16:9 masking panels I made for the screen: https://imgur.com/a/GM7VEbT

To attach the masking panels to the screen, I did a bit of COVID19 macgyvering and found an old IKEA picture ledge similar to this one: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/mosslan...lack-70292104/ I cut it and the ledge is almost exactly the same width as the screen, so it just hangs on top of the screen. You can easily slide them left or right to account for 1.85:1 content too.
Nice. Doesn't Guardians 2 have stuff that breaks into the top/bottom bars? How do you handle that?
post #21 of 25 Old 04-27-2020, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Nice. Doesn't Guardians 2 have stuff that breaks into the top/bottom bars? How do you handle that?
My guess is, he's watching the UHD disc which doesn't change A/R.

@Talon , very smart masking panels! I might have to steal your idea whenever I get there...
post #22 of 25 Old 04-29-2020, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Very nice screen. I made one myself years ago.( https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...-screen-2.html ) Can I ask about the black panels that make up your false wall around the screen? I don't mean the masking panels, I mean the sectional(?) panels around/behind the screen. Really looks nice/theater-like. You said they're attached with velcro to the bare studs behind them, do I have that right? Do they extend behind the screen? It doesn't look like they just border it. How many of them are there? How is the screen itself attached to them? I'm trying to figure out the design so I can incorporate it into my theater. Right now I just have black burlap stapled to the false wall/frame I built to hang my screen and your setup looks much, much nicer.
post #23 of 25 Old 04-30-2020, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I haven't watched the whole movie yet, but I didn't notice anything popping out. Stuff like Nolan movies is an issue, and for that I usually leave in 16:9 mode so there are still black bars on the top and bottom during 2.39 sequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieS1204 View Post
My guess is, he's watching the UHD disc which doesn't change A/R.

@Talon , very smart masking panels! I might have to steal your idea whenever I get there...
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
Very nice screen. I made one myself years ago.( https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...-screen-2.html ) Can I ask about the black panels that make up your false wall around the screen? I don't mean the masking panels, I mean the sectional(?) panels around/behind the screen. Really looks nice/theater-like. You said they're attached with velcro to the bare studs behind them, do I have that right? Do they extend behind the screen? It doesn't look like they just border it. How many of them are there? How is the screen itself attached to them? I'm trying to figure out the design so I can incorporate it into my theater. Right now I just have black burlap stapled to the false wall/frame I built to hang my screen and your setup looks much, much nicer.
They are attached with velcro to the bare studs behind the false wall. I first built them for my 100" 16:9 screen so they go directly to that. When I built this screen, rather than rebuild all the panels, I just made the french cleat so the screen sits right on top of the panels. There are a variety of shapes and sizes, I think 8 total. I have an old 47" lcd behind one of the panels that I wanted to be able to see when I remove just one panel so I could watch 2 sports at once. The screen itself isn't attached to the panels, just on a french cleat on the bare studs. The fabric is all black spandex wrapped around the panels and stapled to the inside of the back.

Here's another older series of images with the 100" 16:9 screen which might help explain how they all work. I took an image removing panels one by one so you can see what's behind there. https://imgur.com/a/5NKyBb4

I have to say, adding the false wall and acoustically transparent screen has been one of my top additions to my theater. I used to obsess over tweaking speaker toe-in and adjustments while watching a movie. Now I just sink in and focus on the movie instead of the gear.
post #24 of 25 Old 04-30-2020, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95tsi View Post
I used to obsess over tweaking speaker toe-in and adjustments while watching a movie. Now I just sink in and focus on the movie instead of the gear.
Thanks for the detailed response and extra images! I know what you mean about focusing in on the equipment instead of the experience. I drive my family crazy by constantly wanting to adjust/improve things. Building and installing the acoustically transparent screen did help reduce that ... for a little while, anyway.

EDIT: A couple more questions, if that's okay?

Are those panels the same as those in your first post? They look like they might be covered by a different material but maybe I'm just imagining it.

Looks like you have the fiberglass sound absorbtion parallel with the speakers instead of behind them? What reflective surfaces are those positions for?

Did you put that sub together yourself?

How did you decide what size you wanted your screen to be? Mine goes almost floor to ceiling and I think I might have made it a little too big.

Last edited by Tangled Cable; 04-30-2020 at 03:42 PM.
post #25 of 25 Old 05-01-2020, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
Thanks for the detailed response and extra images! I know what you mean about focusing in on the equipment instead of the experience. I drive my family crazy by constantly wanting to adjust/improve things. Building and installing the acoustically transparent screen did help reduce that ... for a little while, anyway.

EDIT: A couple more questions, if that's okay?

Are those panels the same as those in your first post? They look like they might be covered by a different material but maybe I'm just imagining it.

Looks like you have the fiberglass sound absorbtion parallel with the speakers instead of behind them? What reflective surfaces are those positions for?

Did you put that sub together yourself?

How did you decide what size you wanted your screen to be? Mine goes almost floor to ceiling and I think I might have made it a little too big.
Same panels as the first post. I have absorption panels behind the LR speakers, and I threw a piece of insulation behind the center speaker as well that is not pictured. The 2x subs are both the same DIY VBSS tuned to 15hz from the thread here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...gn-thread.html

As for choosing screen size, my seating distance of 9.5 feet has almost no wiggle room due to that stupid column in the room. I wanted a 16:9 screen that I could watch hockey on without having to turn my head to see the edges. About 100" gave me a 42 degree field of view at the 9.5' seating distance which seemed inline with what I've read for still having a big screen, but without having to turn from side to side. When I started building my new screen, I wanted the 16:9 content to be the same size as it is now. So my screen height was already dictated by that. Then I found the post linked here for building the 128" 2.39:1. It all just worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page