What makes a great hvlp spray gun - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-07-2020, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What makes a great hvlp spray gun

So as I am putting together my list for my painted screen silverfire or blackflame

The hvlp options are thin.
I have read the silverfire post many times..
The only gun I can get is

Earlex 2901 HVLP plus the 1mm tip.

I have found this gun astro103 europro as well, pic in att
1.3mm tip included ( half the cost of the earlex)

I have a air compressor.

So what other hvlp will work or what should we be looking for.

I really don't want to spend 350$ for a gun that I'll probably use once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-07-12-56-25_1586282672895.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	2707026  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-07-2020, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Att a few more pictures
Both guns have 1mm tip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-07-14-17-10_1586283537436.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	651.5 KB
ID:	2707028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-07-14-16-49_1586283546534.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	566.3 KB
ID:	2707030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-07-14-16-27_1586283559396.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	580.4 KB
ID:	2707032  
post #3 of 4 Old 04-07-2020, 11:42 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 372 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4281 Post(s)
Liked: 2124
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
What $350.00?

The 2901 is only $79.95
The Tip Kit $39.95

Be advised that you cannot simply get a HVLP Gun like the one you show. You need a regulator at the Gun....A water / Rust Filter (at the Tank Outlet)...Rubber Hose (Plastic will sweat and produce Water)
The compressor must be able to produce a steady, uninterrupted and totally consistently "dry" air supply at a steady pressure. You have to get both the Fluid Feed and Air Feed Knobs on the Gun set correctly.

It takes all those components working correctly to allow you to produce a smooth, blemish free surface...one with no "Fish Eyes" (tiny water droplets).

There is a very good reason I switched from using a $700.00 Tank Fed HVLP Rig with all the trimmings. It was (...and still is...) a PITA enough when you are stationary....have to move it all from place to place and it becomes intolerably a PITA.

A GOOD HVLP Gun is one that will produce a smooth, consistent flow of well atomized Paint, with little to no over spray....and is lightweight and easy to master and clean. And inexpensive.

In other words.....the HV-2901

The only "less expensive" other choices are Electric Siphon HVLP Guns that have the Turbine built into the Gun itself, and that have the Cup attached to the Bottom
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083CZ6ZQ5/
The one I linked to has a 1.2 mm Brass Nozzle, and is a "Prime" purchase so if it comes bogus, it is still an easy return.

I see you added some others. The Home Right is produced / sold by Wagner. Of the two you show, that would be the one if you find my other choice to be wanting.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-07-2020, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
What $350.00?

The 2901 is only $79.95
The Tip Kit $39.95

Be advised that you cannot simply get a HVLP Gun like the one you show. You need a regulator at the Gun....A water / Rust Filter (at the Tank Outlet)...Rubber Hose (Plastic will sweat and produce Water)
The compressor must be able to produce a steady, uninterrupted and totally consistently "dry" air supply at a steady pressure. You have to get both the Fluid Feed and Air Feed Knobs on the Gun set correctly.

It takes all those components working correctly to allow you to produce a smooth, blemish free surface...one with no "Fish Eyes" (tiny water droplets).

There is a very good reason I switched from using a $700.00 Tank Fed HVLP Rig with all the trimmings. It was (...and still is...) a PITA enough when you are stationary....have to move it all from place to place and it becomes intolerably a PITA.

A GOOD HVLP Gun is one that will produce a smooth, consistent flow of well atomized Paint, with little to no over spray....and is lightweight and easy to master and clean. And inexpensive.

In other words.....the HV-2901

The only "less expensive" other choices are Electric Siphon HVLP Guns that have the Turbine built into the Gun itself, and that have the Cup attached to the Bottom
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083CZ6ZQ5/
The one I linked to has a 1.2 mm Brass Nozzle, and is a "Prime" purchase so if it comes bogus, it is still an easy return.

I see you added some others. The Home Right is produced / sold by Wagner. Of the two you show, that would be the one if you find my other choice to be wanting.

The 2901 is 250 CND finds
Tip 50$
Plus tax.
Not trying to be cheap BUT.

I'll look into the one you posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page