• 1 Post By MississippiMan

post #1 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Getting back to a projector

Howdy!

Long story short, I'm strongly considering moving back to a PJ setup and away from a TV; I had started living in apartments and figured a TV is just easier between moves, but now I just miss the projector very much.

So I've been considering an Epson 5050ub and doing my research on screens which is what led me here.

Currently I'm thinking I'd like to spray SF/BF onto either a rolldown screen or an aluminum frame kit fixed screen (Elite or Silver Ticket), preferably the fixed screen option. My thoughts are that these type screens are easily broken down and movable if need be. Due to my current room restrictions I'm basically limited to a 100" 16:9 screen.

Has anyone ever sprayed an aluminum kit screen and taken it down to be put back up like I'm proposing?

Any recommendations on an HVLP gun?

What other info is needed in guiding me towards a SF or BF mix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 370 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4263 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-finkle View Post
Howdy!

Long story short, I'm strongly considering moving back to a PJ setup and away from a TV; I had started living in apartments and figured a TV is just easier between moves, but now I just miss the projector very much.

So I've been considering an Epson 5050ub and doing my research on screens which is what led me here.

Currently I'm thinking I'd like to spray SF/BF onto either a rolldown screen or an aluminum frame kit fixed screen (Elite or Silver Ticket), preferably the fixed screen option. My thoughts are that these type screens are easily broken down and movable if need be. Due to my current room restrictions I'm basically limited to a 100" 16:9 screen.

Hello!,

Painting a Retractable or a Fixed Frame both have advantages and caveats. Depending on "exactly" what is best for you, the final choice will still be a value that shows excellent performance. *

Starting out with Retractable...you'd want a Tab Tension screen,. Expensive? Not really at all if it's a Manual.
https://www.amazon.com/Screens-Tensi...dp/B0856XNDPQ/

Gosh durn thing is only a picayune 92" diagonal. (...but that might work to your favor more than you think. Less cost...assured top end performance with a 5050 and a DARK Black Flame.)

92" is HUGE for any Apartment.

Electric Retracable w- RF/IR Control
https://www.amazon.com/VIVIDSTORM-Pr...dp/B07DLWBW2J/

OK....this one IS 100" and not much more. Such Sceens are really easy to move and at the same time the surface is protected.

A couple other reads:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/1432177-painting-onto-106-tab-tensioned-screen-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0-a-3.html#post26666625
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/1432177-painting-onto-106-tab-tensioned-screen-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0-a.html#post22476369

Quote:
Has anyone ever sprayed an aluminum kit screen and taken it down to be put back up like I'm proposing?
Yes....but if such secondary / tertiary moves are to be made, the original Packing Roller & Tube must be kept....or trash the idea. The SF/BF paint, when formulated for a cloth surface that "will be moved / rolled up" is very flexible and durable. I honestly haven't had ANY Members who have painted a Retractable Screen ever come back tc omplain of peeling or cracking..... Been a few who have had "Breakdown Screens" and tried to fold the material. Sorry....even the Mfg material will crease.

I really and earnestly advise you consider a Retractable of some type. The Tab Tension Screens maintain a perfectly flat surface (...or should... ) and in the doing provide a wonderfully stable canvass on which you can create a work of art.

Yeah but what about those Fixed Frames? The most affordable ones that still have a degree of dependable quality are the Silver Ticket Screens. It pretty much rules the inexpensive Fixed Screen genre...and is the easiest one to paint upon. Pretty simple...you just reverse the Material and paint the screen from the rear side. After a suitable spell you carefully disassemble the screen material and re-install it facing the correct direction. That step is of course the problematical one. In the size you want, in a 1.1 gain Matte White @100" diagonal.

They cost this much: https://www.amazon.com/STR-169100-Silver-Ticket-100-Diagonal/dp/B00HZRM9K0/

Then there is this one.....https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens...dp/B01B53HGI4/

You paint it the smae way....but this one has extra Hardware and is a bit more complex. You pay about 1/2 as much....but you have a bit more to deal with.
Any recommendations on an HVLP gun?

Quote:
What other info is needed in guiding me towards a SF or BF mix?

Well...............
  • How bad is the ambient light during normal watching times.
  • White Walls and Ceilings?
  • Can the Projector be placed ideally for offsetting ambient light
  • Can you take any steps toward combating ambient or reflected light?

All that stuff above is important because when a PJ such as the 5050 is in play onto a 100" surface, a darker version of Black Flame can really take on the ambient light resistance challenge.
The 5050 placed at 10'-7" would let a Black Flame 6.0 really strut! 59 Foot Lamberts of reflected brightness. Black Flame 4.0? 75 fl Black Flame 2.0? 83 fl

The combination of contrast and black level enhancement mated with sufficient brightness is the key to ambient light viewing nirvanna. Nightime, all dark room viewing? We're talkin' OLED-like imagery Baby. Or in the least....100"s of top end QLED

The 5050 makes a lot of things possible than otherwise would not be with a lessor PJ. But there is an even better alternative. JVC's new LX-NZ3B...a 4K- 3K lumen Laser DLP with Auto Tone Mapping. With a 100" 16:9 Screen you won't be toying around with CIH or CIW.....but a wonderful thing about a dark Black Flame screen...it's self masking....making Format bars either virtually gone or non-existent. The LX-NZ3B is a big leap up from a 5050 but from the right source, only about $3-400 more.

OK....food for thought. Bon Appetite.
ray-finkle likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 9 Old 05-21-2020, 08:20 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Electric HVLP Guns with Metal Nozzles / Needles are getting crazy inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/YATTICH-Electric-Patterns-Cleaning-Furniture/dp/B083CZ6ZQ5/

https://www.amazon.com/AOBEN-Sprayer...dp/B07S46XFG3/

Now I haven't tried either of the two above....but they "read out" good, and both are Prime items so returns are no problem.

This next one is among the most popular.....and with the Accessory Needle Kit if is the best "All in your hand" Sprayer there is at present. It's 1.0 mm Needle is ideally suited for spraying screens.
https://www.amazon.com/HomeRight-C800971-Painter-Painting-Projects/dp/B071X9FZ7R/

https://www.amazon.com/Homeright-C900110-Finish-Orange-Yellow/dp/B079B3Y1QG/

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-23-2020, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ah! Just the man I was hoping to get back to me. I sincerely appreciate the detailed response and all the effort you put into supporting the community.

Quote:
92" is HUGE for any Apartment.
You're right. This is the size screen I've used in the past and it was plenty big. It also gives me more flexibility in room setup.

Quote:
Yes....but if such secondary / tertiary moves are to be made, the original Packing Roller & Tube must be kept....or trash the idea. The SF/BF paint, when formulated for a cloth surface that "will be moved / rolled up" is very flexible and durable. I honestly haven't had ANY Members who have painted a Retractable Screen ever come back tc omplain of peeling or cracking..... Been a few who have had "Breakdown Screens" and tried to fold the material. Sorry....even the Mfg material will crease.

I really and earnestly advise you consider a Retractable of some type. The Tab Tension Screens maintain a perfectly flat surface (...or should... ) and in the doing provide a wonderfully stable canvass on which you can create a work of art.
Points definitely taken. I'm still leaning towards a fixed screen though: The aesthetic is much cleaner, lower cost, storing the tube isn't a problem. For the aesthetic alone I'll take the risk going fixed; if there are problems after a take down/set up I'll have to reconsider. Also, from what I've read elsewhere there retractable screens are susceptible to many mechanical problems, more so when being transported. That makes me worry about longevity but maybe it isn't as much of a problem as I think. (?)

Quote:
Yeah but what about those Fixed Frames? The most affordable ones that still have a degree of dependable quality are the Silver Ticket Screens. It pretty much rules the inexpensive Fixed Screen genre...and is the easiest one to paint upon. Pretty simple...you just reverse the Material and paint the screen from the rear side. After a suitable spell you carefully disassemble the screen material and re-install it facing the correct direction. That step is of course the problematical one.
Cool, Silver Ticket is what I was considering already though I was also looking at their zero-edge/thin bezel model too (Can't put a link in yet due to low post count). My concern with the thin bezel model is the way the material gets wrapped around the edges; those sharp bends can't be good for the paint. I suppose only the face of the material would be painted though.

"Suitable spell" - obviously about letting the paint fully cure but, days/weeks ballpark? Fingernail test?

Quote:
Well...............
  • How bad is the ambient light during normal watching times.
  • White Walls and Ceilings?
  • Can the Projector be placed ideally for offsetting ambient light
  • Can you take any steps toward combating ambient or reflected light?
  • Not terrible. I have blackout curtains for the single window and my only lights are standing lamps with dimmable bulbs.
  • Essentially. The walls are a light yellow.
  • Yes, considering I have full control of my lighting brightness and position. Window will be to the side of the screen.
  • My biggest concern is not needing to be in cave mode 100% of the time.
Quote:
All that stuff above is important because when a PJ such as the 5050 is in play onto a 100" surface, a darker version of Black Flame can really take on the ambient light resistance challenge.
The 5050 placed at 10'-7" would let a Black Flame 6.0 really strut! 59 Foot Lamberts of reflected brightness. Black Flame 4.0? 75 fl Black Flame 2.0? 83 fl
Glad to hear this! What are the downsides with going darker though? Is hotspotting an issue? Seeing sparkles?

Quote:
The 5050 makes a lot of things possible than otherwise would not be with a lessor PJ. But there is an even better alternative. JVC's new LX-NZ3B...a 4K- 3K lumen Laser DLP with Auto Tone Mapping. With a 100" 16:9 Screen you won't be toying around with CIH or CIW.....but a wonderful thing about a dark Black Flame screen...it's self masking....making Format bars either virtually gone or non-existent. The LX-NZ3B is a big leap up from a 5050 but from the right source, only about $3-400 more.
Very intrigued by this recommendation. I'm open to the extra cost but I'm having trouble realizing the "big leap" of the JVC. From the limited information I'm able to find about the LX-NZ3 (though compared to the 6040ub):
PROS:
  • laser light source (no bulb replacements, dimmable)
  • smaller physical size
  • limited version of JVC tone mapping
  • brighter (?)
  • slightly better noticeable sharpness
CONS:
  • worse black levels
  • worse DCI P3 color gamut
  • placement flexibility
  • no zoom and lens memory
Can you go into more detail why you see the JVC as a "big leap"?

Understood on the HVLP guns and thanks for all the options. I'll likely go with the HomeRight.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-23-2020, 12:15 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

I will return as promptly as possible (evening?) with more details and responses.

HOLIDAY! COOKIN' ! BEER!

I'm outta here for now.....

post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ha, hope you had a good weekend!

I did more research into the JVC and now am leaning more that way, though still would like to hear your thoughts. I'm seeing that some people feel the 5050ub image is sometimes "soft" with 4K content and am assuming the LX-NZ3 is sharper because it does pixel-shift to the full 4K resolution...
post #7 of 9 Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-finkle View Post
Ha, hope you had a good weekend!

Yep...just wrapping it up.....

Quote:
I did more research into the JVC and now am leaning more that way, though still would like to hear your thoughts. I'm seeing that some people feel the 5050ub image is sometimes "soft" with 4K content and am assuming the LX-NZ3 is sharper because it does pixel-shift to the full 4K resolution...

Both that and the fact it is a DLP.....although the Epson by all rights can be adjusted to have a extremely sharp image. However there is more a chance of seeing "jaggies".

post #8 of 9 Old Today, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I'm a fledgling when it comes to projectors, but wouldn't the 6050UB be a better comparison to the LX-NZ3 on price point?

Rumble & Frenzy - My Mini-Marty Build
Screaming Eagles - My Fusion-15 Sentinel Build
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

@Witchboard It is but 5040 is pretty close to the performance of the 6050 from what I've read. They are very similar.
@MississippiMan Eagerly awaiting your retorts to my initial reply btw. I've got an itchy trigger finger on this money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page