AVS Forum banner

DIY SCreen 100" suggestions

4K views 66 replies 6 participants last post by  Villagedweller 
#1 ·
Hello All, I am looking at improving my viewing experience here. I have a totally light controlled room. I am using an RS420 with a 100" 16 x 9 screen. Due to the layout of the room, that is what I am forced to use size wise for now. I am looking for suggestions on screen material and what not. Any assistance would be appreciated.

#3 ·
What specifically are you trying to improve? Do you need an AT screen? I am also currently using a spandex screen that works great, but it’s low gain and one of the only cheap options for a large AT screen. At 100”, I would honestly just buy a Silver Ticket screen if you don’t need AT. It’s pretty tough to beat in cost and ease. I had one previously and had no complaints.

#5 ·
As I said my 120 inch with spandex is great. But you do need a light controlled room. If I was you I would just save the money and get the spandex. See Images below for clarity.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Attachments

#26 ·
Out working so I can only respond briefly, however you can expected a detailed response by this evening. How much bigger? Consider that Spandex at larger sizes requires considerable lumen output.
A Painted Sintra Board can give you up tp 130" diagonal @ 2.39:1 and 122" diagonalat 16:9 and have enough gain to make any content look spectacular.

Even larger sizes will require the use of a Material such as Flexi-White, and a High Contrast / high Gain paint (...at least 1.2 gain...)

#27 ·
I am considering trying to get as large as I can. The JVC seems to put out a decent amount of light. I would really like to put the speakers behind the screen. So that would put me in a AT type of scenario. I am still attempting to figure it all out. Thank you for your patience and assistance.

#41 ·
Because the Black does slightly show through the top layer of Spandex, the latter being very porous. The Black rests against the White so there is a bit of color transfer. But it is that transfer that helps make the on-screen contrast & black levels better while also providing a sharper image than would a White over White.

Mix Black with White and you get........Grey.

#45 ·
I hope it turns out well.
Not a real fan of the minimalist Goal Post concept because if it's really done right it's only a hair removed from being an actual Facade wall.

I'm just starting a Facade wall Screen Wall at the end of a small Bonus Room over a Garage. 13'-10" from Knee Wall to Knee Wall. Center of the Ceiling between the two Sloped Ceiling Panels is 7' across. Ceiling Height is 8'

I could easily ace out a Goal Post design, but I want a complete, smooth Wall effect, not a standing Screen.

But that's me....and whadda I kew frum nuthin'?

#48 ·
#53 ·
Well, I did manage to get all of my subwoofer cables and LCR speaker cables, along with a Cat 6 for the IR sensor pulled to the screen wall location over the weekend. Baby steps, but it is progress. And yes, I have that very thinned on top the head look going also! Enjoy!

#56 ·
If there is appreciable space between the Rear Wall and the back of the Screen...and that Wall is White, it might be advisable to do one of these three things. (...but if the Screen sits Flush against the Wall, furgitabowdit. ....)
  1. Paint the Wall that is behind the Screen a very Dark Grey. Black is not required.
  2. Add a 3d Layer of Black Spandex onto the Rear of the Frame
  3. Hang a large sheet of 120" Spandex across the Wall secured with Black painted Thumbtacks. You can do the same thing with Black Velvet, but not @ 120"
    Product Rectangle Font Material property Software

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.