• 1 Post By genaccmiller
  • 1 Post By MDJones

post #1 of 24 Old 05-28-2020, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
DIY SCreen 100" suggestions

Hello All, I am looking at improving my viewing experience here. I have a totally light controlled room. I am using an RS420 with a 100" 16 x 9 screen. Due to the layout of the room, that is what I am forced to use size wise for now. I am looking for suggestions on screen material and what not. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-28-2020, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagedweller View Post
Hello All, I am looking at improving my viewing experience here. I have a totally light controlled room. I am using an RS420 with a 100" 16 x 9 screen. Due to the layout of the room, that is what I am forced to use size wise for now. I am looking for suggestions on screen material and what not. Any assistance would be appreciated.
I use a spandex 120 inch in a light controlled room and am very happy.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
bluer101 likes this.

Step by Step Theater Build - http://imgur.com/gallery/2tpaSru
My Theater Build Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_..._as=subscriber
My Theater Build Thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html
post #3 of 24 Old 05-28-2020, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What specifically are you trying to improve? Do you need an AT screen? I am also currently using a spandex screen that works great, but it’s low gain and one of the only cheap options for a large AT screen. At 100”, I would honestly just buy a Silver Ticket screen if you don’t need AT. It’s pretty tough to beat in cost and ease. I had one previously and had no complaints.
bluer101 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-28-2020, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I am just trying to get better screen than cheap one I have had for quite some time.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-28-2020, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am just trying to get better screen than cheap one I have had for quite some time.
As I said my 120 inch with spandex is great. But you do need a light controlled room. If I was you I would just save the money and get the spandex. See Images below for clarity.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200513_204011_1590716923310.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	2733938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200513_204033_1590716935463.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	2733940  

My Theater Build Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_..._as=subscriber
post #6 of 24 Old 05-28-2020, 08:08 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 2159
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:

Well we/you can certainly do that!

With that JVC and 100" diagonal, there are several options that can take you far and away to a much better result than any cheap screen.

Without spending much...do you have a specific budget limitation? $200- 300.00 or a bit more? I can assure you this much....you can easily Paint a advanced Paint Mix onto a Mfg. Sheet of Sintra and wind us with a Screen that provides a degree of image quality that would equal or surpass Mfg Screens costing in the $1000.00s

Total light control does not necessarily mean going with a White Surface. And since the RS420 has Lens Memory, you "could" simply paint the Screen Wall entirely and go with a non-format specific approach where the 16:9 and 2.39:1 content can be presented however you want it to be...and the Wall will also automatically mask the Format bars.

I've installed a LOT of JVC using the Wall Screen method....from x570r's to x 790r's up to NX9s so you would not in any way be slumming.

One last thing....the suggestion of a Spandex screen should not be easily dismissed. a 100" Spandex Screen would offer up a exceedingly smooth surface with great Contrast, it's easily and very affordably built, and with the RS420 the Spandex would still provide 35 fl of reflected brightness. The image would look GREAT!

Not as great as would an advanced Paint mix sprayed onto a sheet of material or the Wall itself, but I would be remiss to not offer it as a perfectly acceptable alternative to Painting.

Oh...and Guys, when a Member comes onto DIY screens and specifically asks for a DIY solution, please try your best to not suggest a actual Mfg Screen straight out. It hurts my heart!

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #7 of 24 Old 05-28-2020, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Oh...and Guys, when a Member comes onto DIY screens and specifically asks for a DIY solution, please try your best to not suggest a actual Mfg Screen straight out. It hurts my heart!
Not trying to hurt your heart MMan. I did preface by asking what his goals were. Sometimes it’s hard to tell what people are really looking for and what skills/patience/budget/expectations they have. I have both bought and built screens, and each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Most of the time with DIY, we are saving money by investing time. We can also get better quality for the same dollars spent. Or customize which specific strengths are valuable to us while allowing weaknesses that don’t concern us. That said, if you don’t need AT or a large screen or ambient light rejection or high gain, it’s pretty hard to compete with the low end mfg screens on price, and they do give a neutral white with normal gain.

But, then you don’t get to see people’s reaction when you tell them your screen is made out of tights
post #8 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well we/you can certainly do that!

With that JVC and 100" diagonal, there are several options that can take you far and away to a much better result than any cheap screen.

Without spending much...do you have a specific budget limitation? $200- 300.00 or a bit more? I can assure you this much....you can easily Paint a advanced Paint Mix onto a Mfg. Sheet of Sintra and wind us with a Screen that provides a degree of image quality that would equal or surpass Mfg Screens costing in the $1000.00s

Total light control does not necessarily mean going with a White Surface. And since the RS420 has Lens Memory, you "could" simply paint the Screen Wall entirely and go with a non-format specific approach where the 16:9 and 2.39:1 content can be presented however you want it to be...and the Wall will also automatically mask the Format bars.

I've installed a LOT of JVC using the Wall Screen method....from x570r's to x 790r's up to NX9s so you would not in any way be slumming.

One last thing....the suggestion of a Spandex screen should not be easily dismissed. a 100" Spandex Screen would offer up a exceedingly smooth surface with great Contrast, it's easily and very affordably built, and with the RS420 the Spandex would still provide 35 fl of reflected brightness. The image would look GREAT!

Not as great as would an advanced Paint mix sprayed onto a sheet of material or the Wall itself, but I would be remiss to not offer it as a perfectly acceptable alternative to Painting.

Wow! So many options. I am not opposed to building the screen and stretching material. The painting is a bit more daunting of a task in my mind. You have done this quite a bit from my research here. I don't want to spend a fortune to keep the wife on the happy side of things. Painting a piece of Sintra had not entered my mind. Interesting concept. I guess I am open to what would be the most fun to do and not leave me a lot of room for error after error.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow! So many options. I am not opposed to building the screen and stretching material. The painting is a bit more daunting of a task in my mind. You have done this quite a bit from my research here. I don't want to spend a fortune to keep the wife on the happy side of things. Painting a piece of Sintra had not entered my mind. Interesting concept. I guess I am open to what would be the most fun to do and not leave me a lot of room for error after error.
Check this out.

post #10 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Check this out.

https://youtu.be/L20A6E3rebo

Thank you. That was informative.
post #11 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 05:03 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Wink ...and then the hard rain begain to fall without let-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJones View Post
Not trying to hurt your heart MMan. I did preface by asking what his goals were. Sometimes it’s hard to tell what people are really looking for and what skills/patience/budget/expectations they have. I have both bought and built screens, and each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

I understand the motive...and I know it was well intended...but in truth all the facts were there. A light controlled Room with a 100" screen size + a JVC RS420 = in excess 50+ foot lambert. That is tremendously bright for a non-ALR dark room application, even on low Lamp. Also, the comment about wanting to improve his Viewing experience...that's something that staying with another Matte White Screen isn't going to accomplish to any degree except possibly provide him with a newer, smoother surface. A near unity gain Grey surface that also has image enhancing properties due to balanced use of Metallic-s and other additives can really...truly improve the image quality of even a "GASP" Native 4K NX9 as far as rendering a even more vivid and dynamic image. While that comment may fly in the face of video purists, I have been there and done that many times across the entire JVC line-up...at virtually every size and format. And when the application involves PJs of lessor ilk, the situation at hand benefits all the more so.

Quote:
Most of the time with DIY, we are saving money by investing time. . That said, if you don’t need AT or a large screen or ambient light rejection or high gain, it’s pretty hard to compete with the low end mfg screens on price, and they do give a neutral white with normal gain.

Again....that just isn't the case. There are wide variances in the stated specifications of such inexpensive Mfg screens, and manytimes specs do not measure up to those claims, making them all the less a "value". There are several pure White paints that when applied to a suitably smooth surface can easily match or best even expensive Matte White unity gain Mfg. Screens, let alone the el 'cheapos. One this Forum, suggesting going with such is the "last resort" and one taken without hesitation once such a course is determined to be the right one. Otherwise, such Mfg Screen surfaces....fixed / retractable / or a Mfg Material made onto a DIY Frame are more often used as Canvasses for DIY Paint solutions before they are suggested for use outright "as is".

We DIY'ers as a group cannot make any such reference as to desirability or suggest any such superiority on the Screens Forum. The Axe is just waiting to fall if we do because there are actually Rules against such, and the same applies in reverse on DIY Screens. Of course, for about 10 years on now those rules on here have seen a loosening of abject compliance....on the DIY Forum we often make direct reference to and suggestions of the use of Mfg Materials for DIY Framed applications...or the use of Fixed or Retractable Screens "as is" if it is determined that the Poster cannot effect the needed DIY upgrading. I can say without fear of contradiction that we get virtually ZERO referrals off the Screen Forum except and only when someone posts on there about actually DIY'ing a Screen. Then they are sent over here. The biggest change up is the greatly reduced animosity between the two Camps...something that is quite a welcome switch from the many who would accuse DIY Screen making as being a fruitless en-devour rife with Snake Oil claims and vastly poorer results. Of course if we stick to our own backyard the Bullies seldom jump the fence to give us a pounding...but wander over into their Neighborhood and...Whooo Boy!

In the effort to maintain the differences between the two genres, of course there should be and is the need to be flexible, and address actual need...not just a per-determined path. Of course that can be hard due to personal preferences coming into play.

As to myself, absolutely I am of the opinion that image quality can be improved both easily and affordably, especially the latter when one considered how much similarly superior performing Mfg Screens can cost vs even the most expensive and complex DIY routes.

A great example being Spandex and it's insertion into the upper end of Home Theater building. It too garnered no small amount of resistance from those who strongly believed that you had to spend excessively to acquire exceptional results...yet we kept plugging Spandex for it's strengths...affordability...ease of use...superior surface qualities, while also tempering suggestions due to gain limitations / lumen requirements. But a great DIY application will eventually win over enough advocates because end results do not lie, and it there is one truism that holds fast across both Screen Forums it's that members do like to share their giddiness over how happy they are with their Big Picture!

Quote:
But, then you don’t get to see people’s reaction when you tell them your screen is made out of tights

.....and THAT is something those with actual Mfg Screens miss out with by not using Spandex because of it's near perfect AT performance and smooth surface (...sorta a Superhero of DIY applications...)

Even more so is the Painted Wall or other solid surface.....jaws drop precipitously...and eyes bulge out when they go up to the surface, rap on it with their knuckles and realize..."It's your Wall ???!!!???" And it doesn't stop there...with a great paint solution, image quality expands into QLED / OLED quality levels....at Silver Ticket prices.

At that juncture the DIY Satisfaction index knows no bounds. Shoot...even a Stewart or DNP Screen becomes a mundane, ho-hum thing after 2-3 years. A great DIY application? Never! No one ever stops tooting their horn to newcomers...such is the soaring pride factor DIY'ing elicits. The Fun Factor is a huge part of it all, and a primary reason I advocate DIY'ism.

So there it all is....and please understand I do not fault nor lament your mention of the inexpensive Mfg. alternative. Brook no doubt, I too feel people need to have all their options presented, but those options should cater to actual needs. Besides...it gave me another chance to address what is a very important difference than many need to be reminded of...one that lies at the heart of DIY Screen making.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #12 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 05:06 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:

Rest assured it is my Job Description on this Forum to be there to make certain that there is no "error after error" business going on. You'll receive all the help and advice you could possibly need.................or stand for that matter.

post #13 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Rest assured it is my Job Description on this Forum to be there to make certain that there is no "error after error" business going on. You'll receive all the help and advice you could possibly need.................or stand for that matter.
Okay MississippiMan! I am becoming intrigued with the possibility of actually painting the wall that the screen is on now. Since my background consists of restoring automobiles and building tomato harvesters, there is not much I am scared to try. It would be a matter of myself becoming familiar with the process and moving forward. I really appreciate your support and suggestions.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 06:06 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Okay MississippiMan! I am becoming intrigued with the possibility of actually painting the wall that the screen is on now. Since my background consists of restoring automobiles and building tomato harvesters, there is not much I am scared to try. It would be a matter of myself becoming familiar with the process and moving forward. I really appreciate your support and suggestions.

Awl-righty then!

First you need to determine if there is the need to smooth the actual image area with a skim coat you Drywall compound. Many times it's not necessary, or at most some minor spot repairs can suffice. But you don't want any second guesswork...once a Higher Contrast paint solution starts going up, blemishes that were invisible on a light colored, flat sheen'd wall pop out and become visible.

No worries there if that happens after the 2nd or 3rd Duster though...a quick spot repair and your back in business. One thing you have going for you is the limited size (86" x 49") because that means less work, less materials, and a quicker finish.

..................but your a'gonna wish like 'ell that you could'a gone bigger after your done. (...you can always sit closer though... )

post #15 of 24 Old 05-29-2020, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Awl-righty then!

First you need to determine if there is the need to smooth the actual image area with a skim coat you Drywall compound. Many times it's not necessary, or at most some minor spot repairs can suffice. But you don't want any second guesswork...once a Higher Contrast paint solution starts going up, blemishes that were invisible on a light colored, flat sheen'd wall pop out and become visible.

No worries there if that happens after the 2nd or 3rd Duster though...a quick spot repair and your back in business. One thing you have going for you is the limited size (86" x 49") because that means less work, less materials, and a quicker finish.

..................but your a'gonna wish like 'ell that you could'a gone bigger after your done. (...you can always sit closer though... )
Unfortunately, I have this thing called work that is interfering with my fun stuff today! The wall is 102" wide by 94" high. As of now, I am picturing just a portion of the wall from about 30" above the floor to 84" high being painted. Preparing the wall is not an issue. It is in decent shape, but a skimming would most likely improve it. The wall right now is a Behr color called "Puddle" greyish in nature. The screen hanging there is a cheaper electric roll up one. So, this is reason for new version screen. With that being said, I guess I would have to gather supplies once I am ready to attack this project.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-05-2020, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have this thing called work that is interfering with my fun stuff today! The wall is 102" wide by 94" high. As of now, I am picturing just a portion of the wall from about 30" above the floor to 84" high being painted. Preparing the wall is not an issue. It is in decent shape, but a skimming would most likely improve it. The wall right now is a Behr color called "Puddle" greyish in nature. The screen hanging there is a cheaper electric roll up one. So, this is reason for new version screen. With that being said, I guess I would have to gather supplies once I am ready to attack this project.
The more I think about things here, the more I am leaning toward a spandex screen. I think the wife would be more in line with that versus me spraying the wall. I have been in the middle of my office build here and I am about done messing with sheetrock and mud. Ugh! So, maybe building rather than messing with the wall is a better more enjoyable event for me. Thanks everyone for your assistance. It is great to have the support in these endeavors.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-05-2020, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As I said my 120 inch with spandex is great. But you do need a light controlled room. If I was you I would just save the money and get the spandex. See Images below for clarity.

@genaccmiller , I really think I am going to build a screen now. The process is more in my realm of talents. Thanks for your input.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-05-2020, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@genaccmiller , I really think I am going to build a screen now. The process is more in my realm of talents. Thanks for your input.
Good luck. Happy to help where needed.

post #19 of 24 Old 06-05-2020, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Good luck. Happy to help where needed.

Hopefully, I will gather the supplies soon and get the dimensions of the frame figured out.
post #20 of 24 Old 06-05-2020, 07:20 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
The more I think about things here, the more I am leaning toward a spandex screen. I think the wife would be more in line with that versus me spraying the wall. I have been in the middle of my office build here and I am about done messing with sheetrock and mud. Ugh! So, maybe building rather than messing with the wall is a better more enjoyable event for me. Thanks everyone for your assistance. It is great to have the support in these endeavors.
Nothing terribly wrong with that decision...just be advised that the difference between the dynamics of the image on a BF painted screen is substantial. Under any normal "AT" circumstance I would not decry the use of Spandex...especially at 100" diagonal. But if AT is not on the agenda, there ARE / is a significantly better option.

Consider that you could build a fixed Frame screen of the size your considering using Carl's Flexi-White stretched across a hand-built frame, or go with a sheet of Sintra and then paint such a Screen in the Garage and then carry it in....and really, since you'd have no Wall refinishing to be "Ugh" about, it could all be done in place extremely easily and you'd not sacrifice either Gain nor the deeply dynamic image potential.

Oh...brook no doubt, you'd be very happy with the Spandex.....but you'd be ecstatic over the Black Flame option.

Either way you go, if you'd like me to provide a Line Drawing with the needed design measurement and materials, just let me know.

post #21 of 24 Old 06-05-2020, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nothing terribly wrong with that decision...just be advised that the difference between the dynamics of the image on a BF painted screen is substantial. Under any normal "AT" circumstance I would not decry the use of Spandex...especially at 100" diagonal. But if AT is not on the agenda, there ARE / is a significantly better option.

Consider that you could build a fixed Frame screen of the size your considering using Carl's Flexi-White stretched across a hand-built frame, or go with a sheet of Sintra and then paint such a Screen in the Garage and then carry it in....and really, since you'd have no Wall refinishing to be "Ugh" about, it could all be done in place extremely easily and you'd not sacrifice either Gain nor the deeply dynamic image potential.

Oh...brook no doubt, you'd be very happy with the Spandex.....but you'd be ecstatic over the Black Flame option.

Either way you go, if you'd like me to provide a Line Drawing with the needed design measurement and materials, just let me know.
MM, a line drawing would be awesome. You are right. I really don't require a AT type material. I am still trying to get my head around it all, but you have the experience. Appreciate your assistance.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-05-2020, 09:15 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
MM, a line drawing would be awesome. You are right. I really don't require a AT type material. I am still trying to get my head around it all, but you have the experience. Appreciate your assistance.

Ok...here ya go.

The Frame could be adapted to be built on edge, but when the Screen is so small, doing the Frame "On-Flat" is generally acceptable...except that it does equire the additional step of using Quarter Round edging around the perimeter to create the necessary Material Stand-Off.

For that trouble you get a Screen that is only 3/4" thick off the Wall instead of 2.5" when 1x3's on Edge are used.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100  Inch 16x9 on-Flat 1x3 Frame.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	2737412  

post #23 of 24 Old 06-05-2020, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok...here ya go.

The Frame could be adapted to be built on edge, but when the Screen is so small, doing the Frame "On-Flat" is generally acceptable...except that it does equire the additional step of using Quarter Round edging around the perimeter to create the necessary Material Stand-Off.

For that trouble you get a Screen that is only 3/4" thick off the Wall instead of 2.5" when 1x3's on Edge are used.

Thank you so much.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-05-2020, 10:21 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Thank you so much.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1a Baba Louie.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	2737440  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page