SACD ripping imminent? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 143 Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Plus there are more standalone media players that can handle TrueHD than multichannel FLAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 143 Old 02-18-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirezsqwave View Post

I believe that consumer rights rule in this case because of the following situation:

1. Consumers have no way to protect their investment in their entertainment library in a high definition format: SACD or DVD-A against aging or other natural catastrophe (of whatever kind).

2. The industry has offered no solution for this problem.

3. The industry will not back up its product with any kind of a warranty/replacement service, nor is it economically feasible to do so.

4. The shelf life of SACD and DVD-A replicated media is not uniform and can, in some cases, have a limited lifespan.

So, in the case of the producer of SACD or DVD-A title, there is enough uncertainty about the lifespan of the product that a consumer can allege misrepresentation as to the life of the product only after the product deteriorates to unplayability.

But Fair use provisions of the DMCA allows the consumer to make a backup copy of their collection of copyrighted works to alleviate this uncertainty and to prevent losses.

However, the industry has not provided a way to backup its products to a condition where the copy is a playable disc, but has prevented the consumer from doing so, even potentially making it appear illegal to find a way to backup their product, when it is not (in accordance with the DMCA fair use provisions).

The industry has made no provisions for educational use of copyrighted works either, even though the DMCA provides such use is legal.

The piracy industry doesn't care about DMCA, because its operations are centered in foreign jurisdictions not subject to DMCA. But they are guilty of theft, which is prosecutable in all jurisdictions.

In view of these facts, I would say that Fair Use does have the rule of law, when put that way, framed in the interests of consumers (as a group).

The hidden motive of the industry is to force the consumer to repurchase items that are defective. Of course, that practice is not ethical, is it? Consumer rights advocates must take their stand against the law firms who represent the industry that makes a closed system that frustrates the legitimate use of the product by honest people who paid for the products they purchased from them.

I hope all this ripping technology for SACD fails. This topic and those who support it, is the reason the music industry is dying. I don't care if it is convenient to put music on a server. Music artist cannot survive with this kind of thinking. No wonder there is a lack of great new music today.
post #33 of 143 Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I hope all this ripping technology for SACD fails. This topic and those who support it, is the reason the music industry is dying. I don't care if it is convenient to put music on a server. Music artist cannot survive with this kind of thinking. No wonder there is a lack of great new music today.

What kind of thinking is that? Not wanting to keep re-buying the same music? Let's face it, SACD, no matter how much we like it, doesn't have that viable a future. Being able to keep our recordings in a more flexible, more future-proof, format is win-win as far as I'm concerned.

And there is no lack of great new music today. There is just an overabundence of crap being pushed out the door by the large music publishers. Just check out independent artists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 143 Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a distinction between piracy and personal-use backup.

Piracy is both the commercial and non-commercial distribution of copyrighted works, without the copyright owner's permission, for non-educational uses to other persons who do not own the rights to access the work.

This involves:

1. The sale of a pirated copy of the work.
2. The public sharing of pirated copies of the work. (including ripping of the CD layer.)
3. The commercial, noneducational, rendition of a legitimate copyrighted work, without the copyright owner's permission, for public consumption at a paid event in which the promoter of the event earns a pecuniary benefit from his/her patrons which is not shared with the copyright owner.
4. The noneducational incorporation of a copyright owner's work into a product or service that is not authorized by the copyright owner.

The consumer is allowed to:

1. Make a backup of a copyrighted work for his/her personal use in order to protect his/her investment.
2. Store that copy in any playable form, for personal, noncommercial use, but not share that copy, publicly for noneducational purposes, with anyone who does not have legitimate access to the work.
3. At a party, given by the consumer, he/she may play the work for the enjoyment of all present (even if they do not enjoy private access to the copyrighted work).
4. A friend of a consumer who has access to the copyrighted work can legitimately play, view, or read a copyrighted work, as a guest of the consumer without having to obtain permission from, or to pay royalties to the copyright owner for use of the work.

AFAIK, if consumers support the music industry by purchasing products that they enjoy, then the industry shall prosper. If producers stop making people buy its products all over again, when these products fail to have a shelf life of 100 years+, as advertised, then consumers will appreciate the products they produce with an eye towards fairness; and, equitable dealing shall then prevail.

Pirates must be put out of business, not by frustrating the legitimate need for quality and protection of longevity, but by swift action in the courts against the pirates.

The industry can survive, as it always has, if we patronize the producers who merit our patronage. Back in the days of the LP era, making a copy of a disc involved getting out the tape recorder and dubbing it over. Consumers did that then and do it now for personal use. Pirates also did that by dubbing the LP using professional quality 2-track recorders, such as Ampex, Scully, Studer, 3M Mincom, Stephens, etc. They then mastered these dubs (pops, clicks, surface noise and all) to a lacquer master and pressed LPs for illegal sale of the copyrighted works. Similarly, today, any pirate can dub a SACD through the SACD players analog outputs connected to either a DSD or PCM Digital Recorder, or even a professional analog tape recorder. Certain pirates have also found ways to bypass the encryption schemes altogether.

IMHO, Digital Transmission Content Protection has not stopped pirates in the slightest, while, it has inconvenienced consumers in the pursuit of their legitimate right to backup their investment. MP3s are not the way to pleasant listening. Consumers deserve better than that. The industry deserves better than that. Spread the word.
post #35 of 143 Old 02-22-2011, 03:04 PM

very well put!
post #36 of 143 Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005wrx View Post

very well put!

Agreed!
post #37 of 143 Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 AM
ap1
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Agreed!

You missed the point here. The whole busyness model of music industry is based on making public buy the same record again and again. What you want is lowering their profit. Any business will fight tooth and nail for it.
post #38 of 143 Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm glad that you have faith that your current SACD player will continue to function properly years into the future when SACD is no longer offered on new players, and that you have faith that your SACD collection will last equally as long.

I don't have that faith. My favorite DVD-A, "Hotel California" has begun to delaminate around the outside edges, and is slowly working its way toward the center. I'm very fortunate that I was able to find the stuff that I needed in order to make myself a backup copy before my original became unreadable, as well as an image on my computer for potential future use, since I have even less faith in the durability of the DVD-R than the original DVD-A that's delaminating.
post #39 of 143 Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

music industry understanding FAIL!!

obviously you have no clue what makes the music industry click nor have any clue why it's on the decline

you also fail to realize that music pirates are by far the largest segment of music purchasers.

go figure, get ur facts straight before you fall on your face

Matt

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
post #40 of 143 Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

You missed the point here. The whole busyness model of music industry is based on making public buy the same record again and again. What you want is lowering their profit. Any business will fight tooth and nail for it.

Looking at the history of the music industry, the real business model is selling as much material of a hot artist as possible until that artists "shelf life" has expired. Re-issues rarely (I know there are exceptions coughBeatlescough) are big sellers. And re-issues in 5.1 format have even smaller sales numbers. Having people back-up their music has been going on for decades now. That isn't hurting the music industry because the people who back up their music purchases are a small minority of customers. Like in every other industry, poor management decisions are the root of the vast majority of problems.
post #41 of 143 Old 02-23-2011, 03:13 PM
ap1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Looking at the history of the music industry, the real business model is selling as much material of a hot artist as possible until that artists "shelf life" has expired. Re-issues rarely (I know there are exceptions coughBeatlescough) are big sellers. And re-issues in 5.1 format have even smaller sales numbers. Having people back-up their music has been going on for decades now. That isn't hurting the music industry because the people who back up their music purchases are a small minority of customers. Like in every other industry, poor management decisions are the root of the vast majority of problems.

If one sells the same material many times to the same customer (like different media etc.), he gets even better profit.
post #42 of 143 Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

If one sells the same material many times to the same customer (like different media etc.), he gets even better profit.

Drop in the bucket compared to creating mass-appeal to buy. I mean seriously, how many people actually re-buy something? 1% of people at the most?
post #43 of 143 Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Unfortunately, there are many individuals who will gladly make friends a copy of a CD they purchased. If you want to know the effect of ripping has on the music industry, ask Prince, Chicago, Earth Wind and Fire, Sting, Brian Culbertson, Nils or any other artist. I remain unmoved regarding SACD ripping. I am as worried about my SACD player breaking as I am about my ability to buy a new turntable.
post #44 of 143 Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Unfortunately, there are many individuals who will gladly make friends a copy of a CD they purchased. If you want to know the effect of ripping has on the music industry, ask Prince, Chicago, Earth Wind and Fire, Sting, Brian Culbertson, Nils or any other artist. I remain unmoved regarding SACD ripping. I am as worried about my SACD player breaking as I am about my ability to buy a new turntable.

You make it sound like ripping and the transition to digital files is in itself a problem. If this is in itself a problem, then you better tell the music publishers (especially Rhino) to stop adopting non-DRM, lossless digital downloads on a large scale. After all, those downloads end up essentially being the same thing as the contents of a perfectly ripped disc and just as easy for so called "pirates" to share.

As for SACD ripping, I highly doubt that there are many people into this kind of high-fidelity audio who partake in any kind of filesharing (legal and illegal).
post #45 of 143 Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

So you think Prince, Sting, Chicago, EWF and the others will stop making music for sale?

By your logic, we should ban the practice of anything that might create both legitimate and illegitimate outcomes--be careful of what you wish for:

Let's ban individual vehicles because cars can be getaway vehicles from a crime. Why should I be allowed to drive a car and decide where to go on my own when I can let others decide for me (buses, trains and planes)? I might be a bank robber, you know.

Let's ban the sale of sharp knives for cutting meat--could be used to stab and kill someone.

Let's ban the use of photocopy machines--could be used to distribute free copies of books.

Let's ban libraries--people might read, watch and listen to things for free.

Let's ban the use ofwell, you get the idea.

Punish those who actually do pirate movies and music. Don't punish everyone else because of a minority.
post #46 of 143 Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post

I don't have that faith. My favorite DVD-A, "Hotel California" has begun to delaminate around the outside edges, and is slowly working its way toward the center. .

That's a bit worrying since it's the first HD Audio title I purchased. Up till now I have never thought about ripping those discs since the only way to enjoy them is in a lossles 5.1 audio setup. But now archival considerations come into play.

Ripping DVD-A seems to be well documented and this thread is about doing the same for SACD.

I expect once the the technology is mature(!) I might go ahead and rip all my MCH titles into multichannel FLAC files inside a MKV container which I can play using my Popcorn Hour A200. Then I should be protected from media degeneration.
post #47 of 143 Old 03-05-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirezsqwave View Post
The consumer is allowed to:

1. Make a backup of a copyrighted work for his/her personal use in order to protect his/her investment.
Do you have a reference for this? I am looking for one myself, but only found mainly that the RIAA doesn't think so.

I've seen this provision in a software end user license agreement, but am not sure it applies to music and video

at the RIAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIAA
  • It’s okay to copy music onto an analog cassette, but not for commercial purposes.
  • It’s also okay to copy music onto special Audio CD-R’s, mini-discs, and digital tapes (because royalties have been paid on them) – but, again, not for commercial purposes.
  • Beyond that, there’s no legal "right" to copy the copyrighted music on a CD onto a CD-R. However, burning a copy of CD onto a CD-R, or transferring a copy onto your computer hard drive or your portable music player, won’t usually raise concerns
"won't usually raise concerns" is very open ended, most interpretations tend towards the RIAA being able to come down on people having a copy of a CD on the computer, especially if the computer has internet access

I'd love to see something solid that says yes, it's OK to make personal copies, but it's not a "right" of the consumer, otherwise they (publishers/rights owners) would already be taken to the courts for including copy protection schemes on VHS, DVD, SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray.

In fact the whole idea of SACD and DVD-A originally was so that people could not copy music, even for personal use. You have no "rights" in this regard, in fact circumventing these copy protection schemes is considered a crime in the eyes of the law.

edit: very interesting legal blog here

Quote:
... 1. “Ripping” songs from CD I have purchased to copy the songs so that I can play them on my iPod, computer(s), PDAs, and other devices. Make no mistake, this is copying. I feel reasonably comfortable about ripping a song into iTunes and putting it onto an iPod, but I must admit that my comfort comes from the fact that “ripping” is a feature of the software and that Apple and the recording industry seem to have come to an accommodation on this issue. I’m not sure that I would have the same level of comfort if I only looked at the statutes and case law.

Boo!
post #48 of 143 Old 03-05-2011, 07:32 PM
ap1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post

I'd love to see something solid that says yes, it's OK to make personal copies, but it's not a "right" of the consumer, otherwise they would already be taken to courts for including copy protection schemes on VHS, DVD, SACD, DVD-A and Blu-ray.

This reminds me proverb in my native language, which roughly means: "If you take any person, there is always something he can be found guilty of in court".
post #49 of 143 Old 03-05-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I edited my post slightly for clarity: by "they" I mean the people who prevent copying.

Boo!
post #50 of 143 Old 05-10-2011, 04:39 AM

Liked: 13
An update sent to me today on SACD cracking [i.e. ripping]: from the ps3 guy, the SACD copying saviour:

"Let me tell you guys where I am right now.. The current status is that I can finally raw read SACDs from GameOS. Surprisingly this was the biggest hurdle until now (got this working last week!!), it turned out I had to re-authenticate the drive in order to allow disc access. But these functions (two lines of code) were hidden very deep in the shell and seemed completely unrelated to disc access , but I found them ..

So reading and writing is finally working:
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper..._lv2_storage.c

Another thing I've been reversing is the communication with the SacModule (the module that authenticates the drive in order to decrypt the SACD, and also deals with the decryption of the revocation table (if the disc has one)):
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper...sac_accessor.c

So at this point authentication seems to work, and the decryption process starts without errors. But... the "decrypted" data is wrong (problem occured yesterday, so still, very fresh..). In other words the drive is "decrypting" the data, but the key that the drive is using seems to be wrong.. so that's going to be the last hurdle.. and I hope that's not going to take the amount of time that I had to spend on drive authentication..!

btw. to speed up the process I've tried to contact others but I don't get any response or useful help from anyone..

but.., I think you know by now I'm very persistent.. "

So...it's looking hopeful. This guy really is dedicated, and we all owe him a huge thanks, if/once it is completed and given to us in what he at one point said is probably easy for him to just make it a natively signed PS3 app [this being possible thanks to the master signing key leaked by geohot] - not some complicated nighmare downgrading linux method. Additionally, he'll probably help to port the ripping code to windows so that you can connect the PS3 BD drive [easily buyable on ebay, from people's broken down PS3s where they sell the parts], to your computer, and rip it in windows that way. just then he said about this: "porting the authentication module is going to be tough though. Emulating an SPU and running the SacModule in there is probably your best bet. But then again, the PS3 is superior as it has all that in there..". and who knows what else will happen, once the initial method [just using ps3] is fully working and shared.
post #51 of 143 Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the update. That certainly looks hopeful especially I noticed on googlecode it's been a lot of activities. I have a stupid question though... once/if the application has been created how do one plan to create a backup? and would it be able to be played on all SACD players?

The reason I ask is because I tried using the Philips SuperAuthor to create SACD-R using contents bought from Linn website but my SACD player just says Bad TOC...
>> http://www.tkshare.com/Philips-SuperAuthor-3-0-3-0.html
post #52 of 143 Old 05-17-2011, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rteng View Post

Thanks for the update. That certainly looks hopeful especially I noticed on googlecode it's been a lot of activities. I have a stupid question though... once/if the application has been created how do one plan to create a backup? and would it be able to be played on all SACD players?

The reason I ask is because I tried using the Philips SuperAuthor to create SACD-R using contents bought from Linn website but my SACD player just says Bad TOC...
>> http://www.tkshare.com/Philips-SuperAuthor-3-0-3-0.html

I'm no expert, and not involved with it, but I've been told that using the Phillips Protech tools & SuperAuthor makes a DVD-R playable on at least some Oppo's, specifically the BDP-80 in this case.
Just as some BD players don't like AVCHD, I'm sure some won't like DVD-R as SACD.
I love my Oppo.

Oppo BDP-80 / Oppo DV-970HD
Onkyo TX NR-656 / LG 55" 4K
5x Onyx "X" speakers
Cerwin Vega sub
post #53 of 143 Old 06-07-2011, 12:21 PM

First of all my apologies for my post from half a year ago. At that time I thought I had it all figured out, but I was far far away from reality. Now, a half year later I can tell you that PS3 SACD ripping is finally possible and works with a natively build PS3 application (NO linux required).

It really has been a rollercoaster ride and without the release of PS3 keys this would not have been possible. It all came together at the right time, but it required alot of reverse engineering, learning the internals of the PS3 and last but not least writing code to see code!!: (code.google.com/p/ida-spu) Yes, too much time of my life has gone into this, but I don't regret any of it..

Although still in alpha successful dumps are being made as we speak. But due to legal reasons I will not spread binaries and I'll leave that up to others. The user interface is simple but it will allow you to dump DSDIFF, DSF, ISO in both multi and stereo channels and it also creates the necessary ID3 tags so your track/disc information is not lost. Remember the software is still in ALPHA, but it's way more than just a proof of concept... let the testing begin!

Installation information:
code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/source/browse/trunk/readme

Project page:
code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper
post #54 of 143 Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 PM
DHF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is there a "How to implement this for Dummies" page available?
post #55 of 143 Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Is there a "How to implement this for Dummies" page available?

Check the readme and let me know what you don't understand or need more information on, or have questions about, anything really.. Although some complexity will always be there (firmware update) I'll try do my best to make it completely dummy proof..
post #56 of 143 Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Excellent news, your time and efforst creating this tool.
Still would be helpfull to get an advice how (what are the steps) to download the keys by following link in the ReadMe file:
"Get the PS3 keys from http://git-hacks.com/ps3free/ps3keys"
I know it sounds childish, but I just can't get those keys.
post #57 of 143 Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:

I know it sounds childish, but I just can't get those keys.

It does not, and I thought about it and decided I will remove this and allow the developers to embed the modules into the executables. Which means there is no other complication/extra step for you guys.. I'll do that before the beta release comes out..

In the meantime you can click the "download master as tar.gz" button and open that file with winzip/7-zip...

cheers!
post #58 of 143 Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Man, I have been following this thread almost daily since the first post! I am totally pumped this works. Now I am gonna get a ps3 that I can mod and start enjoying my sacds again!
post #59 of 143 Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 PM
DHF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_wicked View Post

Check the readme and let me know what you don't understand or need more information on, or have questions about, anything really.. Although some complexity will always be there (firmware update) I'll try do my best to make it completely dummy proof..

J ust remember - you offered to answer questions from dummies....like me...

Looking at the code page, the following is a quote
SACD-Ripper supports the following output formats: -
2ch DSDIFF (DSD) -
2ch DSDIFF (DST) (if already DST encoded) -
2ch DSF (DSD) -
mch DSDIFF (DSD) -
mch DSDIFF (DST) -
mch DSF (DSD)

OK - go easy on me - what are these formats? I am used to FLAC, APE, WAV, etc. What player plays these formats? Just curious....
post #60 of 143 Old 06-09-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
OK - go easy on me - what are these formats?
:-) Don't worry!

First I'm asking you to do some reading on DSD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

Now you know DSD is different from PCM, and the formats I mentioned are supporting DSD. DST is the compressed lossless version of DSD, nothing more nothing less.

So DSDIFF (Philips), DSF (Sony) are both simply container formats for DSD/DST and there are several ways of playing those. For ex. Foobar has a DSDIFF plugin, Weiss Saracon does conversion to PCM (wav, flac, etc..) and Korg Audiogate does playback and conversion, but these are just some examples..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page