SACD ripping imminent? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 143 Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I'm still holding out hope that Oppo will update their players to support the SACD-R ISO's via attached disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 143 Old 11-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

I just finished ripping 15 SACD's and am using my HTPC and my WHS media server to playback ripped SACD iso files with foobar which is a pretty good expierence/interface but it leaves me wanting something more. I am still exploring converting files to flac or some other lossless container, but thus far just seems to take too many steps with unfriendly command line applications. I think once the DFF files have been converted to something like flac then the frontend user interfaces like PCH, SQBX and HTPC's applications like J. River, Media Monkey, etal. will make the whole process more enjoyable.

The upside to foobar is playing from an SACD ISO. The downside is that foobar needs an HTPC and is not anywhere close to a all-in-one solution for movies, music, music videos and photos. The upside to PCH/Dune/Popbox is that it is an all-in-one solution with cover art and artist/actor, etc, info for all media. And the downside is more work getting it all set up.

Pick your poison.

Yes, FLAC is *the* way to go.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
post #123 of 143 Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post

I'm still holding out hope that Oppo will update their players to support the SACD-R ISO's via attached disc.

Maybe they will, but they will certainly never implement DVD-A ISO reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 143 Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Sorry to spoil your pessimism, but they already have. I have all my DVD-A's backed up to iso. They play perfectly from an external drive.

DvdFab in iso clone mode is what has worked for me. DVD Decrypter does not. Haven't tried others.
post #125 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I thought maybe you were joking, but no smiley face. The Oppo 93/95 can play ISO's ripped from DVD-A's, DVD-V's, and Blu-ray's from an attached hard drive. It can't play SACD ISO's currently, and maybe never will.

The Oppo can play an SACD ISO burned to a DVD-R disc, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having all media stored and played digitally. The workaround is to convert the DSDIFF files to PCM and create FLAC files.
post #126 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I thought maybe you were joking, but no smiley face. The Oppo 93/95 can play ISO's ripped from DVD-A's, DVD-V's, and Blu-ray's from an attached hard drive. It can't play SACD ISO's currently, and maybe never will.

Really? DVD-Audio ISO's play on the Oppo? Then I stand corrected. I must be losing it, because I even posted that it reads them.

WRT it playing SACD ISO's from storage, on another thread ... which I can't find now ... someone emailed Oppo support about it and they replied something to the effect that they were working on it.

post #127 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

The Oppo can play an SACD ISO burned to a DVD-R disc, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having all media stored and played digitally. The workaround is to convert the DSDIFF files to PCM and create FLAC files.

I think it's great that the Oppo supports reading the ISO's that it does, but one of the main attractions of a networked media player is support for cover art and artist/song/album information.

Just my $.02.

post #128 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:

The upside to foobar is playing from an SACD ISO. The downside is that foobar needs an HTPC and is not anywhere close to a all-in-one solution for movies, music, music videos and photos. The upside to PCH/Dune/Popbox is that it is an all-in-one solution with cover art and artist/actor, etc, info for all media. And the downside is more work getting it all set up.

Pick your poison.

Yes, FLAC is *the* way to go.

Jeff

Given that I have my house setup with multiple HTPCs and a 40TB media server I would prefer the HTPC route. Of course my families interface with all media is better if it provides an all-in-one solution that includes the use of a single remote, nice displays of cover art and the ability to customize searches/filters and make playlists quickly. I have been searching for this for several years. WMC with MyMovies plugin has provided a very nice frontend for all of my movies (BD/DVD/HomeMovies), the included Photo viewer/slideshow player also works nicely and I use another custom plugin for Recorded TV programs. The only thing lacking is the included music plugin which is just not complete enough for me - although it works fine for the rest of the family since they don't care about the quality of the music (RBCDs ripped to medium quality MP3). Foobar is for me only and most of the time it is fine ....just not very pretty.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #129 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Given that I have my house setup with multiple HTPCs and a 40TB media server I would prefer the HTPC route. Of course my families interface with all media is better if it provides an all-in-one solution that includes the use of a single remote, nice displays of cover art and the ability to customize searches/filters and make playlists quickly. I have been searching for this for several years. WMC with MyMovies plugin has provided a very nice frontend for all of my movies (BD/DVD/HomeMovies), the included Photo viewer/slideshow player also works nicely and I use another custom plugin for Recorded TV programs. The only thing lacking is the included music plugin which is just not complete enough for me - although it works fine for the rest of the family since they don't care about the quality of the music (RBCDs ripped to medium quality MP3). Foobar is for me only and most of the time it is fine ....just not very pretty.

I hear ya. I *could* go that route; I have seven PC's around the house all of which I built except for the two laptops. But the "networked media player" has a lot of appeal for me.

Do PC's pass lossless DTS/Dolby yet? I believe I have read that XMBC is not up to where PCH, Dune and Popbox are in that respect.

post #130 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think it's great that the Oppo supports reading the ISO's that it does, but one of the main attractions of a networked media player is support for cover art and artist/song/album information.

Just my $.02.

The Oppo does that also if the album art is embedded in the FLAC files. It will also display artist/song/album info. Of course, if you're playing from an ISO, all menus, art, etc. are displayed just as if you have the disc in the machine.

I have an HTPC running Foobar and PowerDVD (for video), but I'm finding that I use my Oppo 90% of the time. It's more of an all-in-one solution for me for both audio and video, and it doesn't have a fan so it's super quiet. It's also easier for my family to operate than the HTPC.
post #131 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just my $.02.

My 2 cents also - I own the Oppo, but with streaming only via DLNA it will remain just for disc playback of SACD/DVD-A & the occassional movie.

HTPCat
post #132 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Wireless member

Well, I haven't gotten to that step yet, so HTPC is not ruled out. Are you able to control everything with a remote?

post #133 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My 2 cents also - I own the Oppo, but with streaming only via DLNA it will remain just for disc playback of SACD/DVD-A & the occassional movie.

I agree the Oppo is probably better suited for a one-room theater, with an ability to stream to other rooms via DLNA, but it doesn't have the same capabilities as a network media server running off of multiple HTPC's for multi-room scenarios.

I'll take the Oppo DAC's versus just about any PC sound card though for playback in a main listening room, and it comes with one of the best disc players on the market as a bonus, for less than the cost of some high-end sound cards.

Anyway, this is drifting off-topic..
post #134 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well, I haven't gotten to that step yet, so HTPC is not ruled out. Are you able to control everything with a remote?

Yes I use a URC MX-980 for my main system and a URC MX-800 for my daughters room. I also have a logitec dinovo mini keyboard and MX-air mouse that are needed for typing descriptions, etc. and for non theater related computer work.

HTPCat
post #135 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I just finished ripping 15 SACD's and am using my HTPC and my WHS media server to playback ripped SACD iso files with foobar which is a pretty good expierence/interface but it leaves me wanting something more. I am still exploring converting files to flac or some other lossless container, but thus far just seems to take too many steps with unfriendly command line applications. I think once the DFF files have been converted to something like flac then the frontend user interfaces like PCH, SQBX and HTPC's applications like J. River, Media Monkey, etal. will make the whole process more enjoyable.

Note that jriver 17 support DFF files. It'll either decode to PCM or bitstream the DSD to a processor/receiver (requires ASIO). I haven't tried the DSD bitstreaming myself yet, but from the interact forum I understand it is possible.

/Anders
post #136 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just jumped into this SACD ripping a couple of weeks ago. Purchased a PS3 60 GB CECHA01 model with older Firmware and began my new project. I already had heard about the Yellow Light Of Death (YLOD) for the older PS3s caused by overheating so I have completely modified the PS3 with a more efficient, cooler power supply, changed out the 15 blade fan to the Talismoon Whisper Fan, cleaned the chips of the old thermal paste and replaced with new high quality thermal paste and installed new thermal pads. The entire internals have been blown clean. It runs cool and quietly.

I used Kmeaw 3.55 latest and sacd-ripper r275. I also installed the latest Multiman which enables me to backup PS3 games to either an external drive or the internal drive of the sony.

I now have purchased a couple more of the PS3 CHECHA01's and am going to modify/refurbish and load all software as above with the intention of selling them if there is any interest. Should have the first one ready in 2 weeks selling for $650. If anyone is interested please PM me.

HTPCat
post #137 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersa View Post

Note that jriver 17 support DFF files. It'll either decode to PCM or bitstream the DSD to a processor/receiver (requires ASIO). I haven't tried the DSD bitstreaming myself yet, but from the interact forum I understand it is possible.

/Anders

This sounds very promising - I have been meaning to try out jriver MC just hadn't got around to it. Guess I need to get going on that.

HTPCat
post #138 of 143 Old 11-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I just jumped into this SACD ripping a couple of weeks ago. Purchased a PS3 60 GB CECHA01 model with older Firmware and began my new project. I already had heard about the Yellow Light Of Death (YLOD) for the older PS3s caused by overheating so I have completely modified the PS3 with a more efficient, cooler power supply, changed out the 15 blade fan to the Talismoon Whisper Fan, cleaned the chips of the old thermal paste and replaced with new high quality thermal paste and installed new thermal pads. The entire internals have been blown clean. It runs cool and quietly.

I used Kmeaw 3.55 latest and sacd-ripper r275. I also installed the latest Multiman which enables me to backup PS3 games to either an external drive or the internal drive of the sony.

I now have purchased a couple more of the PS3 CHECHA01's and am going to modify/refurbish and load all software as above with the intention of selling them if there is any interest. Should have the first one ready in 2 weeks selling for $650. If anyone is interested please PM me.

$650?? Good luck. I've been buying "proper" PS3's for $200 and would be happy to point anyone to a seller right now that gets $250 for them. And I'd be happy to help anyone do the mod.

post #139 of 143 Old 11-17-2011, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

$650?? Good luck. I've been buying "proper" PS3's for $200 and would be happy to point anyone to a seller right now that gets $250 for them. And I'd be happy to help anyone do the mod.

Jeff did help me with my rig.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Pioneer SX-N30, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #140 of 143 Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I wouldn't sell them with the software that hacks the SACD copyprotection, because it's against copyright law, and you could be sued.

What you can legally do is all the hardware modifications and install the other software (alternative firmware, conversion tools and so on), and tell the customer to download and install the missing software himself.

It's like the DVD ripping tools, that come without the DeCSS part to avoid violating the law.
post #141 of 143 Old 11-17-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Jeff did help me with my rig.

Jeff if I have offended you somehow I am sorry, that was not my intention. I do these things as a hobby and just offered an alternative without the risk, frustration and research needed to DIY. I have and continue to offer my help free here at AVS and other forums. The idea came up after I was showing some friends here my modded PS3 and one asked if I would be willing to procure one and customize it for him.

You seem to think that the modifications (new whisper fan, new efficient & cool power supply, removal and replacement of thermal paste on both chips, replacement of thermal pads, testing internal hdd and memory,and cleaning all internals) several multi hour tests to insure all is up and working well is over-priced. I believe that they are a big improvement and back it up with a 90 full refund warranty for any hardware failure. My PS3 is used as it was intended, for gaming and has the added beneifit of ripping SACDS and backing up PS3 games among many other things without the worry of the YLOD.

For the DIY'er send me a PM and I will provide assistance in hardware modifying the PS3 or with software customization.

HTPCat
post #142 of 143 Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornette View Post

I wouldn't sell them with the software that hacks the SACD copyprotection, because it's against copyright law, and you could be sued.

What you can legally do is all the hardware modifications and install the other software (alternative firmware, conversion tools and so on), and tell the customer to download and install the missing software himself.

It's like the DVD ripping tools, that come without the DeCSS part to avoid violating the law.

Yes you are correct here, I didn't think it through...but easy enough to get it ready with CFW, etc. and then provide instructions for the software not provided.

HTPCat
post #143 of 143 Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Jeff if I have offended you somehow I am sorry, that was not my intention.

I am not offended and I apologize if I seemed to have teed off on you here and around the world wide web.

Quote:

I do these things as a hobby and just offered an alternative without the risk, frustration and research needed to DIY. I have and continue to offer my help free here at AVS and other forums. The idea came up after I was showing some friends here my modded PS3 and one asked if I would be willing to procure one and customize it for him.

You seem to think that the modifications (new whisper fan, new efficient & cool power supply, removal and replacement of thermal paste on both chips, replacement of thermal pads, testing internal hdd and memory,and cleaning all internals) several multi hour tests to insure all is up and working well is over-priced. I believe that they are a big improvement and back it up with a 90 full refund warranty for any hardware failure. My PS3 is used as it was intended, for gaming and has the added beneifit of ripping SACDS and backing up PS3 games among many other things without the worry of the YLOD.

For the DIY'er send me a PM and I will provide assistance in hardware modifying the PS3 or with software customization.

I made this comment on the other forum, but I think you've expanded your explanation with the 90 day full refund warranty. Well, that gives some protection to the person who buys from you, but IMO you are assuming an unknown risk ... and I have concerns about your protection. Used PS3's ... no warranty .. unknown usage .. no way to know if a part is about to fail .. yadda, yadda

If you do the system software hack and install the ripper, I'd toss in Ornette's spot on point and the downside for you looks, well .. like a downside.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, and again, I apologize for raining on your parade. The time and effort you'd invest in doing the mods you mention are probably worth the price you posted, but I think it is risky for both you and the buyer.

My opinion .. you know what they say about opinions .. is that the best way to do this is to help a fellow member locate a proper unit, to point them to all of the resources they will need to do the mod and to help them through it. They need to know about the risks that they will assume (with buying a used piece of electronics), but at least the custom software part will go smoothly for them.

This is a work in progress - I am only up to page 8 with my editing, but here linked for a very limited time is the "SACD Ripper (and optional PCM conversion) .. for Dummies."

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page