The Who - Quadrophenia getting a surround release? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 55
From Pete Townshend's blog at:

http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module=blog&id=pete

Quote:

Pete's Blog
1st June, 2011
WHAT I'M DOING EVERYDAY
I am shut away in my home studio at the moment working to restore the demos of Quadrophenia. Bob Pridden is doing surround-sound mixes of selected tracks. Jon Astley is remastering the original vinyl mix, and evaluating his own 1996 remix (the one where you can properly hear Roger's astonishing vocals). I am sitting in a pile of notes, desk diaries, photos (I took a lot of my own between 1971-1973 when Quadrophenia emerged), original lyrics and writing liner notes.....

Bold my emphasis.

Maybe, finally, Quadrophenia released in the manner for which it was conceived?

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 06-11-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

From Pete Townshend's blog at:

http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module=blog&id=pete

Bold my emphasis.

Maybe, finally, Quadrophenia released in the manner for which it was conceived?

shinksma

This is one of my favorite Who albums and would be an excellent choice for a 5.1 release. I will buy it as soon as it is released.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205 x 2, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 43 Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
An absolute masterpiece. Man, I'd be on this like white on rice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 06-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This would be a must-have for me as well.
post #5 of 43 Old 06-13-2011, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This would be great, but as shinksma highlights in his original post "Bob Pridden is doing surround-sound mixes of selected tracks." It's a good chance "selected" means we won't get the whole album in surround. Nobody would love to get the whole album in surround more than me, and something is way better than nothing, but I'm being guarded on this until we get more specifics.
post #6 of 43 Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 3238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odys View Post
This would be great, but as shinksma highlights in his original post "Bob Pridden is doing surround-sound mixes of selected tracks." It's a good chance "selected" means we won't get the whole album in surround. Nobody would love to get the whole album in surround more than me, and something is way better than nothing, but I'm being guarded on this until we get more specifics.
It does say "selected tracks" but why would they do just selected tracks and not the whole album? Maybe Bob Pridden is seeing if it is possible to do a surround mix with the "selected tracks". Then once it is possible then the whole album will be done in surround. Just a guess but hopefully that is the reason.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205 x 2, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #7 of 43 Old 06-14-2011, 10:34 AM

I hope you're right Bill.
post #8 of 43 Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Technically, couldn't you say that the recent Rush/Moving Pictures release had "selected" tracks mixed in surround sound (one disc was 5.1 and the other stereo)?

Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening.
post #9 of 43 Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My guess is that Bob is doing a few mixes for Pete to critique and then go from there. Test the waters before you jump in, eh?

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #10 of 43 Old 06-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I find the "Tommy" surround mix highly enjoyable, can't wait to hear Quadrophenia!!
I hope "selected tracks" is meant as a reference to the entire album!!!
post #11 of 43 Old 06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 169
5:15 please.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #12 of 43 Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Does anyone know if Pridden is an engineer who leaves in the dynamic range alone or does he like to squash it like Don Was?
post #13 of 43 Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW View Post

Does anyone know if Pridden is an engineer who leaves in the dynamic range alone or does he like to squash it like Don Was?

The bigger question is can Bob hear? Mr. Pridden has been with the band for ages as an all around technical, engineering, equipemnt public address, live sound guy. Yes if you can plug it it he knows how it works but after 50 years of Who volume sound, what can he still hear anything?

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
post #14 of 43 Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

It does say "selected tracks" but why would they do just selected tracks and not the whole album? Maybe Bob Pridden is seeing if it is possible to do a surround mix with the "selected tracks". Then once it is possible then the whole album will be done in surround. Just a guess but hopefully that is the reason.

Bill

If I'm not mistaken, the reason it is 'selected tracks'...not all the masters are available in multichannel. That and Pete/The Who do not have access to all of the material. The condition of said tapes is said to be questionable as well.
With that being said, Quadrophenia is my fav Who album. Hopefully this project will get the proper attention it deserves. Pair it with some live Quad of that era and we just may have a winner! Happy 40th Jimmy!
-Peter

Religion, race, color, creed...whatever.
post #15 of 43 Old 06-22-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1478
I graduated HS 1980, had quad on vinyl, 8 track, and cassette.
Of course now CD, would this new release be lossless audio?
Definitely I'm buying it!
post #16 of 43 Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
It looks like there will be 2 versions coming out in November.

A super deluxe box http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quadrophenia...vglnk-uk-c3-21 as well as a 2 CD deluxe version http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quadrophenia...vglnk-uk-c3-21.

No detailed info yet but there is a pic of the box set. No info about 5.1. I also checked over in the Steve Hoffman forum and those guys also don't have any more info than this.
post #17 of 43 Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
http://www.thewho.com/index.php?modu...ws_item_id=501

“Quadrophenia is the Who album I am most proud of” – Pete Townshend

A stunning ‘Director’s Cut’ of the landmark 1973 album produced, authorised and overseen by Pete Townshend.

After the 1971 album ‘Who’s Next’, Pete Townshend returned to the ‘rock-opera’ concept, so dramatically realised through ‘Tommy’, with another ambitious double-album masterpiece. Based around the story of Jimmy – QUADROPHENIA tells the tale of a young mod and his struggle to come of age in the mid-1960s.The story also takes its influence from the band’s early fans from the original mod era, and its themes of teenage angst and disaffection still resonate strongly today.

The project was intended to reflect the four characters of The Who and features some of Townshend’s most inspired, personal song-writing - way ahead of its time in scope and purpose.

This is one of the most widely recognised albums of The Who’s career because of its classic depiction of mod culture, its renowned imagery and the magnificent music and powerful performances.

The album is hugely significant in popular culture, influencing many other artists, musicians and film-makers – inspiring the classic 1979 British film by Franc Roddam and the UK ‘mod revival’ of the 1970s.

“This 2011 revisit to The Who’s 1973 Quadrophenia recording is inspired by current and continuing interest in the project,” explains Townshend. “The Who performed a concert version of the piece at the Royal Albert Hall in 2010 for the Teenage Cancer Trust with excellent reviews, and the success of that event led to the prospect of a Who tour in 2012 based on the album. The last such tour was between 1996-1997.”

The album is scheduled for release via Universal Music Catalogue on November 14th, 2011. The box set gives a unique insight into the creation of this landmark album and will feature a re-master of the original double album, Pete Townshend’s previously unheard demos including songs that didn’t make it onto the original album, an exclusive eight track 5.1 sound DVD, a deluxe hard-back book, previously unseen personal notes, photographs, memorabilia and other exclusive material that will be announced over the coming months.

‘Quadrophenia: The Director’s Cut’ will be the definitive version of the album and a must for any self-respecting fan of The Who and beyond.

post #18 of 43 Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM

Liked: 12
Highlighting the surround info from that press release:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

http://www.thewho.com/index.php?modu...ws_item_id=501

[i]The album is scheduled for release via Universal Music Catalogue on November 14th, 2011. The box set gives a unique insight into the creation of this landmark album and will feature a re-master of the original double album, Pete Townshend's previously unheard demos including songs that didn't make it onto the original album, an exclusive eight track 5.1 sound DVD, a deluxe hard-back book, previously unseen personal notes, photographs, memorabilia and other exclusive material that will be announced over the coming months.

post #19 of 43 Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 AM

But will it be SACD, like Tommy? That has a wonderful, natural surround feel to it. IMO, Quad would also be a perfect choice for the SACD treatment.

post #20 of 43 Old 07-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknuck View Post

But will it be SACD, like Tommy? That has a wonderful, natural surround feel to it. IMO, Quad would also be a perfect choice for the SACD treatment.

I'm very sure it won't be SACD. Hi-Rez/multi-ch fans will have to make do with the 8 song DVD.

PSN BradCompany
post #21 of 43 Old 07-29-2011, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
sticker on front of package makes it look like dvd-a (MLP, one would hope)

post #22 of 43 Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
post #23 of 43 Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM

•Disc five - 'The Quadrophenia 5.1 EP' - exclusive eight track DVD re-mixed for surround sound.

Ouch. So they're remastering the entire double album -- which is great, don't get me wrong -- but only eight tracks get the 5.1 treatment.
post #24 of 43 Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 PM

"The original mix had many of the vocals mixed a bit low and Daltrey was quoted at the time complaining. The initial CD release used the same original mix, but the album was remixed in 1996 bringing the vocals up, with good results, but some Who fans still prefer the original mix."-Wikipedia

So what happened to the multitrack tapes after the 1996 remix?

Now in NE Tucson, AZ with a cheap rabbit ears antenna. Got everything except KTTU (MyNetwork).
post #25 of 43 Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbert View Post
Disc five - 'The Quadrophenia 5.1 EP' - exclusive eight track DVD re-mixed for surround sound.

Ouch. So they're remastering the entire double album -- which is great, don't get me wrong -- but only eight tracks get the 5.1 treatment.
I also found one listing as a Blue-Ray which I'm guessing is wrong but would be nice
post #26 of 43 Old 08-31-2011, 04:37 PM

"a blue-ray DVD with 5.1 sound..."

I wouldn't trust anything on the site. Call me an AV snob, but really... "a blue-ray DVD"?
post #27 of 43 Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbert View Post

Disc five - 'The Quadrophenia 5.1 EP' - exclusive eight track DVD re-mixed for surround sound.

If I remember correctly, it is because they (Townshend), do not have access to multi-channel masters for the whole album. I thought I read they were either in poor shape, or don't have access to all the tapes. Maybe a bit of both.
-Peter

post #28 of 43 Old 09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That is too bad. I'd probably go for this set with a full surround-sound version, but I just don't like it enough to pay $$ for just 8 tracks.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #29 of 43 Old 09-06-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknuck View Post

If I remember correctly, it is because they (Townshend), do not have access to multi-channel masters for the whole album. I thought I read they were either in poor shape, or don't have access to all the tapes. Maybe a bit of both.
-Peter

My guess is they must've lost the tapes after the '96 remix. If the tapes were bad (oxide falling off in the case of the Who Are You tapes when mixing in 5.1 for The Kids Are Alright), there's ways of fixing them so they can play at least once while transferring to Pro Tools (or whatever Pete's using).

post #30 of 43 Old 09-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

That is too bad. I'd probably go for this set with a full surround-sound version, but I just don't like it enough to pay $$ for just 8 tracks.

We all would prefer the full album in surround, but you admittedly aren't a real fan anyway. This is one of my favorite albums and I'm thrilled to get what I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page