Blu-ray & DVD-Audio Player - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #121 of 126 Old 11-03-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 3460
Not sure of the cost of the Sony X1000ES but the build quality doesn't look very impressive for a Sony player carrying the "ES" designation.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 126 Old 06-16-2017, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Can someone confirm that the Oppo BDP 103 can play blu-ray audio discs? I assume yes, but it's not listed on the list of compatible discs (like BD video, BD 3D, SACD, DVD-A, CD-R, DVD+/-R, AVCHD, etc.). I've gotten just about all the SACDs that I want at this point that are out there (in print or OOP) but there are a few tempting BD-audio that I would like to get if it plays fine on my Oppo.
post #123 of 126 Old 06-16-2017, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 3460
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Can someone confirm that the Oppo BDP 103 can play blu-ray audio discs? I assume yes, but it's not listed on the list of compatible discs (like BD video, BD 3D, SACD, DVD-A, CD-R, DVD+/-R, AVCHD, etc.). I've gotten just about all the SACDs that I want at this point that are out there (in print or OOP) but there are a few tempting BD-audio that I would like to get if it plays fine on my Oppo.
I can confirm that the Oppo 103 plays Blu-ray Audio discs. I was playing the Who's Quadrophenia Blu-ray Audio on my 103 this morning. I believe all Blu-ray players will play Blu-ray Audio discs.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 126 Old 06-16-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I can confirm that the Oppo 103 plays Blu-ray Audio discs. I was playing the Who's Quadrophenia Blu-ray Audio on my 103 this morning. I believe all Blu-ray players will play Blu-ray Audio discs.

Bill
Thank you very much!
post #125 of 126 Old 06-16-2017, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3848 Post(s)
Liked: 3086
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Actually there's no such thing as a "Blu-ray Audio" format. Its just marketing, and the discs are really just plain old blu-ray format.
Bill Mac and captainbrent like this.
post #126 of 126 Old 06-16-2017, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
rdgrimes is correct, Blu-ray audio is a normal blu-ray, just authored in a way to not need a video screen to navigate the menu. It will play when first inserted into a player. Previous/next buttons work the same as a CD, and pressing the red/green/blue/yellow buttons correspond to the stereo/surround/lossless/etc audio tracks, again so you don't need a tv to see the on-screen menu. I forget which button color maps to which audio tracks. Pressing the numbers on the remote work the same as a cd too. Mark Waldrep of AIX records is not a fan because he says he would have to delete the videos from his BDs to get the Blu-ray audio sticker, which he finds silly. He also says that if you really don't want to see the video, then press the Pure Audio(1) button, or equivalent on your remote control. I noticed that the just released Sgt Pepper's 50th anniversary BD has a really nice never before released video interview by Giles Martin, and therefore can't be a blu-ray audio BD.

(1) Oppo remote controls have a button named "Pure Audio" which simply blanks the video output but not the audio output.
Bill Mac likes this.

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Tags
Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page