Allman Brothers "The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings" 3 Bluray box set including previously unreleased tracks - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #31 of 81 Old 06-01-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

My miss understanding then. All the shows I have seen have been outstanding. There was one show where they were jamming and there was a storm on the horizon. The music and sky just fit so good together. Then there was another show with Betts, where I swear he must have been possessed. But I like the new line up of Derek and Warren. I know what you mean about the solo's though. Either you like them or you don't. But I did see them with Bob Weir one night. OMFG I wanted to just scream get off the stage. It was horrible. The songs did not go anywhere. When The Allman Brothers came on it was like AHHH.
Speaking of Drum Solo's, I really don't mind them. I mean I like Ginger Baker's TOAD solo. Any Rush drum solo is cool with me so I am not that upset when they do it. But on the extras of the Beacon Theater DVD concert, which is fantastic and very hard to get now, the producer told them that if he started to hear 20min drum solo's, he was going to start selling beer at 1/2 price tongue.gif. But I like the jamming aspect of there songs.
This one here is a great cd set.
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Atlanta-Intnl-Pop-Festival/dp/B0000DG00B/ref=sr_1_25?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1401449684&sr=1-25&keywords=allman+brothers
Lot's of good songs on that one and if I am not mistaken, that was before the Filmore concerts. Sort of a warmup. Plus I like Ludlow Garage. Now the problem with that one is that the entire second disk is Mountain Jam. But, I also have Evening with The Allman Brothers Sets one and two and I don't think that has any extended jamming. Plus I bought that one concert with an insane version of Black Hearted Woman and again, the only real extended drums were in Mountain Jam. But I have to admit, I love it all smile.gif.
P.S
Thanks for the tip on getting a cd version out of a BR. I am assuming though it's not free.
Sounds like you have heard some great shows. As to your PS, no the software isn't free but it is free to try for 30 days and is fully functional so wait till you get the set then go for the download. There is probably something free someplace you will have to google it. I have the extractor and it works fine. Thanks for the amazon link. I have the Ludlow Garage discs but prefer the Fillmore discs. I like the Beacon stuff. Probably another reason why I haven't been to one of their concerts in over 20 yrs!
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 Old 06-01-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Yea, I have been to a ton of really good ABB shows. Plus I like the sites Hittin the note and Hittin the web because they have some shows going back to 2003. They have a just a few from the 70's as well. You would probably like them better biggrin.gif. Thanks for the heads up on the software. I may check it out. But that link is a good show. Plus I have seen Greg on his own and Dickey on his own years ago. Again, both were great shows. Plus I have a Dickey Betts concert as well. So yea, I am a brother for life. There is a personal reason as well but I won't go into that now. But I will be getting the BR version of this at some point.
JA Fant likes this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #33 of 81 Old 06-02-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Yea, I have been to a ton of really good ABB shows.

A few buddies and I used to do an annual road trip where the Brothers played three great outdoor venues in a week (Shoreline Amphitheater, Concord Pavillion, and Greek Theater). Great times as far as I can remember. Sadly it doesn't look like they'll make it back to the West Coast again before calling it quits frown.gif.
JA Fant likes this.

Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 81 Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Do you mean the exact same mix or mastering of a specific title (one hi-res and one lossy)?

Bill

Yes.
JA Fant likes this.
post #35 of 81 Old 08-02-2014, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone have a review of the Blu-Rays?
JA Fant likes this.
post #36 of 81 Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would like to hear a review from my AVS brothers, as well. I read a few of the reviews from Amazon, and one that stood out was someone saying the mix wasn't great on the 5.1. That, of course, is the mix I would be most interested in hearing about. I have the SACD version of the concerts and love them. Should I just stick with what I have, or do the 3 blu-rays for $99 (or whatever) price justify the "upgrade".
JA Fant likes this.
post #37 of 81 Old 08-22-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked: 3348
I haven't had a chance to listen to all three Blu-rays but the 5.1 mix is very good. Not what I would call reference quality but still quite enjoyable. I haven't listened to the Mercury SACD 5.1 mix in quite awhile but when I get the chance I'll do a quick comparison between the 5.1 mixes. If I recall I didn't think the SACDs 5.1 mix was that great but still enjoyed it.

The first album I ever bought was Fillmore East so it is one of my favorite albums of all times. I have numerous versions of it so when the "1971 Fillmore East Recordings" was announced I knew the Blu-ray was the one to get. Not only for the new surround mix but even more so for the 14 unreleased tracks.

When I mention reference quality Roxy Music's Avalon and Beck's Sea Change come to mind as being reference quality 5.1 mixes.

The Blu-ray set is available from Bull Moose for $76.97 shipped. I bought mine form Bull Moose and they are an outstanding local (NH and ME) indie music store with excellent pricing.

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/16646691/...-blu-ray-audio

Bill
Toe and Joe Hendrix like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #38 of 81 Old 09-14-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Thanks! Bill Mac.
post #39 of 81 Old 12-26-2018, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Incredible deal on Amazon with Prime for the ABB The Fillmore East Recordings 3 Blu-ray set at $16.62 with a 5% discount coupon at check out! I already have the set but ordered another as a backup. Shows shipping on 1/23/18 but what's the rush at that price .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...n=new&qid=&sr=

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #40 of 81 Old 12-26-2018, 08:59 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2665 Post(s)
Liked: 3418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Incredible deal on Amazon with Prime for the ABB The Fillmore East Recordings 3 Blu-ray set at $16.62 with a 5% discount coupon at check out! I already have the set but ordered another as a backup. Shows shipping on 1/23/18 but what's the rush at that price .

Bill
THANK YOU BILL! I never ended up picking this up, but it's always been on my future buy list. No brainer at this price and I just placed my order. Appreciate the heads up!
Bill Mac and JA Fant like this.
post #41 of 81 Old 12-26-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 4111
Just jumped on this too. FYI: It's showing as "Temporally Out Of Stock".

Thanks for a great heads up Bill!
Bill Mac likes this.

Spoiler!
post #42 of 81 Old 12-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Ordered this morning. Thanks Bill! What a bargain!
Bill Mac and JA Fant like this.
post #43 of 81 Old 12-27-2018, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
Quote:

Bill
Hey thanks Bill! Just ordered it although it's on B.O.

Might want to edit your ship date in your post unless you've been holding out on us for almost a year.
JA Fant likes this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #44 of 81 Old 12-28-2018, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
In the spirit of this classic live album- anyone want to discuss the best CD or SACD (from any label) ?
post #45 of 81 Old 12-28-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 409
The Amazon orders will almost certainly be cancelled later. I suspect that they misprice things deliberately to get the sales numbers up. Once it's trending in the top sales in the department, they say "Whoops!" and cancel all the orders. I've seen it before. It doesn't hurt to put in an order just in case, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
post #46 of 81 Old 12-28-2018, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
In the spirit of this classic live album- anyone want to discuss the best CD or SACD (from any label) ?
That's a tough one. I have so many versions of ABB at Fillmore East it's hard to say. The early MFSL double CD set is very well regarded and I agree that it sounds very good. The recent MOFI SACD is also a very good sounding version.

To me the 5.1 mix from The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings is the best sounding version and includes a number of previously unreleased tracks. What's also great about the three Blu-ray set is that all the shows (March and June) are the original versions (no editing) and are as they were played live. The set was remixed from the original multitracks. The 5.1 mix from the Blu-ray set sounds much better than the Mercury SACD from 2004 IMO. I haven't listened to the stereo mix of the Blu-ray set and should do that. From what I've read it's very well regarded.

MFSL 2 CD set - https://www.discogs.com/The-Allman-B...elease/1761919
MOFI SACD - https://www.discogs.com/The-Allman-B...elease/7713806
3 Blu-ray set - https://www.discogs.com/The-Allman-B...elease/6054647

Bill
JA Fant and SteveC356 like this.

post #47 of 81 Old 12-30-2018, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just ordered this. Thanks for the heads up!! The auto rip is showing up on my amazon music account so that is a good sign they will ship this.
Toe, Bill Mac and JA Fant like this.
post #48 of 81 Old 12-30-2018, 10:33 PM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simm View Post
Just ordered this. Thanks for the heads up!! The auto rip is showing up on my amazon music account so that is a good sign they will ship this.
Same here! I listened to part of the album Fri at work through my Amazon music app.
post #49 of 81 Old 12-30-2018, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Just ordered as well. Does seem "to good to be true". Had $11 on a gift card for a return I don't remember. So I am out like $6!!!! (fingers crossed emoji goes here)
post #50 of 81 Old 12-31-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As I type this, the price is currently $66.39!
But there is still a 5% discount that can be applied!
And it's still on B.O.:
Quote:
Temporarily out of stock.
Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
I ordered it at $16.62. Hope amazon comes though (for all of us).

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #51 of 81 Old 12-31-2018, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
As I type this, the price is currently $66.39!
But there is still a 5% discount that can be applied!
And it's still on B.O.:

I ordered it at $16.62. Hope amazon comes though (for all of us).

I ordered a couple of hours also at $16. Yes kokishin, it is now $66 here also. My order details show the original deal at $16. I have seen some major price swings at Amazon, but this doesn't smell right. Love me some Allmans, but not going to do $66 if it comes down to that.
post #52 of 81 Old 01-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 116
My order says Delivery January 12th..............can't wait!!
Toe and SteveC356 like this.
post #53 of 81 Old 01-02-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
A few buddies and I used to do an annual road trip where the Brothers played three great outdoor venues in a week (Shoreline Amphitheater, Concord Pavillion, and Greek Theater).
The Greek Theater in Berkeley? Strange to think they regularly played there. Would have been fun to see them at those venues though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hendrix View Post
I would like to hear a review from my AVS brothers, as well. I read a few of the reviews from Amazon, and one that stood out was someone saying the mix wasn't great on the 5.1.
Not sure how much I've listened to it in 5.1 but I don't recall it being particularly impressive, mostly because IIRC the surrounds are mostly ambience than discrete instrumentation. The front three speakers probably sound better I'm sure.

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to listen to all three Blu-rays but the 5.1 mix is very good. Not what I would call reference quality but still quite enjoyable. I haven't listened to the Mercury SACD 5.1 mix in quite awhile but when I get the chance I'll do a quick comparison between the 5.1 mixes. If I recall I didn't think the SACDs 5.1 mix was that great but still enjoyed it.

The first album I ever bought was Fillmore East so it is one of my favorite albums of all times. I have numerous versions of it so when the "1971 Fillmore East Recordings" was announced I knew the Blu-ray was the one to get. Not only for the new surround mix but even more so for the 14 unreleased tracks.

Bill
Is the 2 disc version a different 5.1 mix? Didn't even realize that. Will have to give it a spin this week. I agree about getting all the extra tracks as being a major reason to get this. Hopefully the 5.1 is better than I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
I ordered a couple of hours also at $16. Yes kokishin, it is now $66 here also. My order details show the original deal at $16. I have seen some major price swings at Amazon, but this doesn't smell right. Love me some Allmans, but not going to do $66 if it comes down to that.
That is a crazy deal! I got mine on Ebay for $25 or so in 2017 I think.

I wouldn't worry about Amazon honoring the discount even if it was a listing error. They are pretty good/cool about letting people get error prices. For instance, a Sony mirrorless lens that I wanted had a preorder price of $2400 or so (and they don't get discounted almost ever) was mistakenly listed for a thousand less or so for at least a few hours or a day or so a couple years back. Since it was a preorder people who had preordered it at that error price were sweating bullets for months but people later reported that Amazon never cancelled their orders and actually shipped them out at the error pricing months later. For a low cost item like this box set it's a given that they'll honor it for all the rain checks.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #54 of 81 Old 01-03-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
The Amazon orders will almost certainly be cancelled later. I suspect that they misprice things deliberately to get the sales numbers up. Once it's trending in the top sales in the department, they say "Whoops!" and cancel all the orders. I've seen it before. It doesn't hurt to put in an order just in case, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
This has just happened to me.
post #55 of 81 Old 01-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Toe

I got an updated estimated delivery date email just now.
post #56 of 81 Old 01-04-2019, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I got an updated estimated delivery date email just now.

Received an estimated delivery date of Jan 28 - Feb 20...precise!!!
Toe likes this.

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB

Last edited by captainbrent; 01-04-2019 at 03:05 AM.
post #57 of 81 Old 01-04-2019, 02:59 AM
Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
Received and estimated delivery date of Jan 28 - Feb 20...precise!!!
Haha! I got the same precise date estimate.
captainbrent likes this.
post #58 of 81 Old 01-04-2019, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 182
^^^^ Mine says January 9th - January 23rd.
Toe likes this.
post #59 of 81 Old 01-04-2019, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just got a notice of delivery.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 - Tuesday, January 29, 2019
post #60 of 81 Old 01-04-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yesterday, I got the email ship date from amazon. Not exactly Prime, but for what I paid... no complaints. Arriving Jan 21 - Feb 5.

I already have the surround sound SACD, so the BD will be a nice superset.

Thanks again to eagle eye @Bill Mac who is our resident deal finder.

Last edited by kokishin; 01-04-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page