MONO or STEREO on DVD-Audio & Blu-Ray Audio. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-14-2015, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
MONO or STEREO on DVD-Audio & Blu-Ray Audio.

I just gotta ask that which is better or sounds better on DVD-Audio & Blu-Ray Audio for music(instruments & voice-singing): STEREO(2.0 to 5.1 & 7.1) or MONO(1.0)? Or it really doesn't make any difference because we(you & I) can't tell apart the different sound channel tracks on certain singles from artists or can we? It was also said that STEREO(2 channel) is harder or more difficult to compress in BOTH DVD-Audio & Blu-Ray Audio than MONO(1 channel), is this true? There are audio experts/technicians/engineers that say that STEREO may not be the BEST & may not work for every artists's single(s) and/or album(s) on the 2 Audio-disc formats. I want to know what is your opinion & which should you choose for the 2?

Last edited by samsonmc; 01-14-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Which is "better" depends on the intent of the people who mixed the soundtrack and the type of music you like.

Most soundtracks are recorded and mixed in studios. They bear no resemblance whatsoever to recordings of live performances. Everything in them is highly modified, since the performers are recorded individually and the final mix consists of a combination of their best individual performances, amplified and filtered.

Most monaural soundtracks were intended to be reproduced on early audio systems which contained only a single speaker. Stereo (two channel) soundtracks are intended to be reproduced on audio systems which contain only two speakers. When properly configured and playing a well-designed stereo soundtrack, two-channel audio systems can provide the illusion of having the members of the performing group spread out between the two speakers in front of you.

Some two-channel recordings include matrixed audio which can provide both center and rear surround sound. They can provide better localization of the performers and separate room ambience.

Personally, I prefer multichannel recordings, both those which place the listener among the musicians and those of live performances, placing the listener in the audience in the venue where the performance happened.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 6 Old 04-22-2015, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
I think MONO sounds good no matter the format!!!! (I have always preferred MONO)

I listen to my cassettes in MONO and when I listen to stuff online here,its in mono.....

I dont have a MONO switch on my record player but they still sound g00d!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-22-2015, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Mono is something you catch off a crackwhore. It should probably stay that way. 2 channel at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 04-24-2015, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Mono shouldn't even be mentioned on this forum.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #6 of 6 Old 04-24-2015, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
Ah man!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version