AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Surround Music Formats (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/)
-   -   Dolby Demo Discs ? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/112-surround-music-formats/1924818-dolby-demo-discs.html)

redjr 03-08-2015 09:57 AM

Dolby Demo Discs ?

My son and I have recently started dabbling in SACD and other hi-riz formats. He found out that Dolby Labs has produced some demo discs for dealers and would like to get his hands on some. He's particularly interested in a demo disc entitled Dolby - The Sound of HD3 that features one of his favorite contemporary artist, Adam Young of Owl City.

Does anyone in the biz here know of this particular disc, or others that would be willing to part with them for a small price. I understand some of these Dolby discs are also available, mastered in 7.1 channel TrueHD surround format. Since we just finished up our media room last Fall, we'd now like to take the next step and enjoy some 7.1 surround music, SACD or not. But we do have an SACD player, and he's pretty adept at ripping and changing the formats to suit what his gear will allow to be played back.

PM me if you have any of these type discs that you'd be willing to give up to a budding music lover. :)

Admin - Not sure if this is right thread, so feel free to move it if it fits better under a different one.

Rick

ti-triodes 03-11-2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redjr (Post 32434946)
My son and I have recently started dabbling in SACD and other hi-riz formats. He found out that Dolby Labs has produced some demo discs for dealers and would like to get his hands on some. He's particularly interested in a demo disc entitled Dolby - The Sound of HD3 that features one of his favorite contemporary artist, Adam Young of Owl City.

Does anyone in the biz here know of this particular disc, or others that would be willing to part with them for a small price. I understand some of these Dolby discs are also available, mastered in 7.1 channel TrueHD surround format. Since we just finished up our media room last Fall, we'd now like to take the next step and enjoy some 7.1 surround music, SACD or not. But we do have an SACD player, and he's pretty adept at ripping and changing the formats to suit what his gear will allow to be played back.

PM me if you have any of these type discs that you'd be willing to give up to a budding music lover. :)

Admin - Not sure if this is right thread, so feel free to move it if it fits better under a different one.

Rick

Go to eBay and type in "demo disc". There's a huge selection. Dolby and DTS were releasing these every year at the shows (CES?) so there's more than one year to choose from. There's also a selection of things you never imagined. Some bring big buck$ though.

redjr 03-11-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-triodes (Post 32536665)
Go to eBay and type in "demo disc". There's a huge selection. Dolby and DTS were releasing these every year at the shows (CES?) so there's more than one year to choose from. There's also a selection of things you never imagined. Some bring big buck$ though.

Hey thanks ti-triodes. I found the disc my son was looking for and placed a bid. We'll see if it goes higher - or not. :) I do my limit though. Also found a 2015 DTS demo disc that looks interesting too.

mannt88 04-19-2015 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-triodes (Post 32536665)

Great info I was looking for one myself. Thanks

Gaugster 04-21-2015 09:51 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Demo disc like these find themselves in Torrents often enough. Neither for or against this method but some of these marketing materials were intended not to have any commercial value. However folks are welcome to pay for convenience any time.

mg316 04-26-2015 03:36 PM

Lots of Dolby clips on YouTube, and some of them are very good quality. Demo discs always pop up here and there on ebay.