• 1 Post By MarkChat
  • 2 Post By Aardvark7rules

post #1 of 14 Old 05-02-2015, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lightbulb QSound: List of material

Missing from any index I can find with all of my finely-tuned Google-Fu is a list of QSound-encoded stereo recordings.

I remember QSound being introduced during a Coca-Cola commercial during a Superbowl in ~1990: It is a process for psychoacoustic recording wherein one can experience surrounding sounds with 2-channel audio and gear, and I know of a couple of albums that definitely use the process.

1. Roger Waters, Amused to Death*
2. Nine Inch Nails, Broken**
3. Madonna, The Immaculate Collection

Any QSound recording will have excellent imaging (in the right-behind-your-head sort of way) on any simple stereo system, if the listener is in the right spot.

But I've recently found that Dolby PLIIx Music does a fantastic***, stand-up job of decoding QSound, sending the requisite sounds to exactly the same places that I hear them on a good and simple stereo system. This opens up existing QSound recordings to be listened to by the masses, with random listener placement, just like Quad was supposed to do.
I want to let others know about this largely forgotten, flash-in-the-pan concept of QSound, so that others can experience it today on a multichannel system.

There must be other recordings out there with QSound in their roots that I don't know of, and I want to know about all of them -- whatever you've got. AFAICT, the Internet does not have a comprehensive list of QSound recordings, and that is a shame: It's no worse than any other matrixed system and most of us have a proper decoder (if not our very own ears).

Ideally, this list would be stickied somewhere if it were ever to be comprehensive.

*: On Amused To Death, there is a QSound logo on the liner notes. The surround effects are very precise and meaningful.
**: Broken. I recall an interview (Rolling Stone?) from around 1995 or 1996 with Trent Reznor, wherein he says that they found a QSound cabinet in the hallway of the studio they were using to record in Cleveland, and decided to wheel it into the control room and make it work. The surround effects on this album are rather barbaric, but then so is the rest of it...
***: I don't hear this with DTS:Neo-whatever, or Logic 7.

Last edited by findlaypc; 06-09-2015 at 10:01 PM. Reason: adding more user-supplied material
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-02-2015, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Madonna - The Immaculate Collection

Q-Sound on a a few of the tracks.
The finger-snaps on Vogue most definitely emanate from far left of the stereo field.

Now, if ever there were a time to use the much overused (and BullS***) phrase "wide soundstage" then this would be one of the correct ones!

Paula Abdul's Spellbound album is another
post #3 of 14 Old 05-02-2015, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-02-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 462
From that list the Jonatha Brooke Steady Pull album was released on DVD Audio.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" features an experimental Holophonic sound that is very similar.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-01-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 485
When I was a kid back in the late 70s, we used to do something very similar by wiring two rear speakers with the left and right positives to the positive connection on the mains, then connecting the two grounds together. It was called the Haffler Doss Sum and Difference Matrix System. It was very common in "drug music" to include out of phase material, which was channelled to the rear using this trick. Some DSPs today do this, some don't.

I always felt that it pulled the soundstage apart into separate bits, but if you are listening to music like Pink Floyd where the soundstage is completely synthetic, it doesn't cause any trouble. With classical music or jazz, it would be awful.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-01-2015, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The only album I recall in my collection that has Q-Sound encoding was Sting's "The Soul Cages" (the CD of course). I'll have to try playing it back with DPLIIMusic and see what it does. Man, I haven't thought of Q-Sound for quite some time - thanks for the discussion!
post #8 of 14 Old 07-01-2015, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I remember wiring a third rear surround speaker to my system when Brian Eno released his Ambient 4 album. It had instructions and a diagram how to connect the 3rd speaker to the Left and Right + terminals. It did add a new dimension to the album and didn't blow anything up!
KNVP Studios and ChromeJob like this.

David

OPPO BDP-105
Marantz SR7008
Klipsch RF-7 II Home Theater System
SVS PB13-Ultra Subwoofer
post #9 of 14 Old 07-03-2015, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
QSound: List of material

I'm running right out to find that Wilson Philips cd....

I seem to recall Ryko released some of the Atmospheres collection in something like Qsound, will have to dig up my cds to see what that was. Yes, I still love listening to those....

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
When I was a kid back in the late 70s, we used to do something very similar by wiring two rear speakers with the left and right positives to the positive connection on the mains, then connecting the two grounds together. It was called the Haffler Doss Sum and Difference Matrix System.
I am intrigued by this idea, but I'm not quite sure exactly what you did, could you provide a circuit diagram?

Whatever you're doing it's going to alter the impedance presented to the amplifier. Is this safe to try with a modern stereo amp or AVR?
post #11 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Power Of Love by Luther Vandross was recoreded in Q-Sound.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-29-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
QSound: List of material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormy View Post
I am intrigued by this idea, but I'm not quite sure exactly what you did, could you provide a circuit diagram?

Whatever you're doing it's going to alter the impedance presented to the amplifier. Is this safe to try with a modern stereo amp or AVR?
There was a description and diagram on the back of an Eno album, ON LAND IIRC, that had a 3-way setup....

http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/b...nland-txt.html

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 07-29-2015 at 06:57 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Should we include games with QSound here as well?
There are tons of Capcom arcade games with QSound as well as some Sega games.
Sega even released some albums with QSound like Sonic (the Hedgehog) Boom (not to be confused with the Sonic Boom TV series) and Ecco: Songs of Time.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-30-2020, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 281
STING Nothing like the Sun is Q also, a true headphone Masterpiece

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement