Can I playback and listen to my flac music files as Dolby TrueHD or DST Master Hd? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2015, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can I playback and listen to my flac music files as Dolby TrueHD or DST Master Hd?

Hi everyone I'm new to this site I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to audio so please hear me out. Can I playback and listen to my flac music files as Dolby TrueHD or DST Master Hd? Or is it just in movies? Which those formats can be played? I am currently using Kodi to playback my flac files from my pc.I have a Yamaha 6360 I am buying tomorrow to update my older Marantz sr ex18. I have the Bose Acoustimass 6 5.1 setup I also have a Asus Xonar dx2 I been using but I'm clueless what to do?. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-09-2015, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA-HD are codecs used in Blu-Rays to record 5.1 or 7.1 lossless audio (and you need to convert this for playback in PCM). You can upmix your flac audio from 2.0 to 5.1 or 7.1 formats using something like Dolby ProLogic IIx or DTS Neo:6 (among others) if your gear has such. This is a nice rundown of the available codecs and gear/connectors used.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-09-2015, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can you please check these links out for me and tell me if I should upgrade my amp? I am paying 225$ for the Yamaha Htr 6063 locally online. I don't really watch blurays ever i usually just watch dl movies via kodi or movies on kodi also listen to my flac music files. I also have a ps4 and xbox one i used for my blurays. So I don't no if I will need Dolby true hd or dts hd because as you said that's only in blu rays . I just fell my Marantz is outdated. The marantz has no hdmi outputs also those other formats i stated. Also if I run hdmi from my pc gtx780sc to my receiver will I get better sound or lpcm or bitstream?..I'm really confused but i under stood the up mix part. Thanks in advance

The New Receiver I will Be Buying Tommorow

Yamaha-HTR-6063

Dolby Digital 5.1
Dolby Digital EX
Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Pro Logic II
Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Dolby TrueHD
DTS 5.1
DTS 96/24
DTS ES
DTS Neo:6
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
DTS Neo:X
HDMI in 6
HDMI out 1
HDMI version 1.4

My Pc Sound Card -Xonar D2X

Audio Performance
Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted) (Front-out) :
118 dB
Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted) (Headphone-out) :
118 dB
Output THD+N at 1kHz (Front-out) :
>0.0004 %(-108 dB)
Frequency Response (-3dB, 16bit/44.1KHz input) :
10 Hz to 46 KHz
Output/Input Full-Scale Voltage :
Unbalanced Output : 2 Vrms (5.65 Vp-p)
Chipset
Audio Processor :ASUS AV200 High-Definition Sound Processor (Max. 192KHz/24bit)
Sample Rate and Resolution
Analog Playback Sample Rate and Resolution :
44.1K/48K/88.2K/96K/176.4K/192KHz @ 16bit/24bit
Analog Recording Sample Rate and Resolution :
44.1K/48K/88.2K/96K/176.4K/192KHz @ 16bit
S/PDIF Digital Output :
S/PDIF Digital Input :
ASIO Driver Support :
Connectivity
Analog Output
4 x 3.5 mm jack (1/8") (Front out/Side out/Center-Subwoofer out/Rear out)
Analog Input
2 x 3.5 mm jack (1/8") (Line-in/Mic-in)
Digital
1 x S/PDIF out (1 x Coaxial)
1 x S/PDIF in (1 x Coaxial)
1 x MIDI in/out
1 x Aux in (4-pin header)
Special Features
Dolby® Technologies : Dolby® Digital Live/Dolby® Headphone /Dolby® Virtual Speaker /Dolby® Pro-Logic II
DTS® Technologies : DTS Interactive Encoder/DTS Neo:PC technologies

My old Receiver Marantz sr18

Product Description
140Wx5,DD,DTS,Component Video,THX Cert,Multi-room

SR-18 has these higher fidelity DAC's, they cannot be utilized with multi channel surround signals (IE. DD, DTS, etc). The user manual for the SR-18 explicitly states the following on page 31: " PCM-audio signals can be subjected to Pro Logic Processing when Fs = 32 KHz, 44.1 KHz , or 48 KHz.. However, output will be muted when 96 KHz PCM signal or DTS signal are input." What this is basically saying is anytime a 96KHz signal is subjected to multi channel processing, it will be muted. Be that as it may, ask yourself what's the significance of having 96KHz / 24 bit DAC's if they cannot be utilized for all applications which employ 96KHz audio. Marantz in not the only vendor doing this. All receivers boasting 96KHz DAC's also follow this principal as it is a limitation to the current digital interface. Logical would lead one to conclude that all current 96KHz / 24 bit Processors are marketing gimmicks at best. DVD audio, will be 192 KHz / 24 bit, is backed by a new Audio Standard, unlike 96KHz audio. DVD audio hardware and software will envelope the consumer market and lay to rest the notion of 96KHz DAC's currently supported by some manufacturers who were too impatient to wait for the new Audio Standard to be completed and finalized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
If you bitstream your True HD or DTS-MA audio from your source to your avr, then you're going to need the appropriate codec in the avr to handle it. If you have a source capable of converting the audio to pcm and sending it to your avr then you don't. It's the same either way, you're just deciding where to decode it. All TrueHD or DTS-MA in the beginning is a lossless way to convert the PCM soundtrack to a smaller file size, as opposed to a lossy compression routine such as Dolby Digital or DTS.

Buy your avr based on your needs for connectivity, codecs, number of channels, room correction software, etc....I don't know particularly what those necessarily are in your case or what they may be in the future....you're best at deciding that.

ps If you are happy with the audio setup currently, get better speakers instead of an avr.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-11-2015, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 111
1. FLAC files do not contain DTS ar Dolby Digital encoded data. They contain PCM and supports everything from mono to 7.1 surround (or higher).

If you have multichannel FLAC files then to hear surround your amp must be able to play multichannel FLAC.

If your FLAC files are stereo only, then your surround amp can be set to send 5.1 sound to your speakers (fake surround, but often effective IMO)

2. MKV files (and other movie containers) can contain DTS HD and Dolby HD encoded data and/or PCM (and/or FLAC). To listen to encoded data you need an AVR that can decode HD. So many of your downloaded movies (and music) may contain hi-res audio streams. (Although these streams also contain lower resolution 'core' DTS and DD for backward compatibility with older AVRs.

I would upgrade your amp. 1 HDMI cable from your Kodi device to AVR and it will play everything. If you have multichannel FLAC files your old AVR may not play them (easy to test)
post #6 of 7 Old 08-21-2015, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaex250 View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to this site I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to audio so please hear me out. Can I playback and listen to my flac music files as Dolby TrueHD or DST Master Hd? Or is it just in movies? Which those formats can be played? I am currently using Kodi to playback my flac files from my pc.I have a Yamaha 6360 I am buying tomorrow to update my older Marantz sr ex18. I have the Bose Acoustimass 6 5.1 setup I also have a Asus Xonar dx2 I been using but I'm clueless what to do?. Thanks in advance
Dolby THD, DTS HD MA, FLAC, MLP, are all lossless encodes, and each needs to be decoded by its proprietary decoders. So if you have Flac files it needs to be played back as such. It's possible to re transcode them, but it's a waste of time IMO, and really not necessary. These days most current and modern AVR's and media players can handle them.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaex250 View Post
When you play a TrueHD of DTSHD-MA disc in your disc player, the audio gets decoded to pure PCM, which is then passed through the various bits of your AVR for room correction, eq, bass management, etc. and then in the digital-to-analog (D/A) converters for playback. Usually the AVR does the conversion from TrueHD/DTSHD to PCM, but some higher-end BD players can also do it. If the BD player does it then, obviously, the AVR does not have to. The same PCM goes to the D/As in the end and it sounds exactly the same.

When you create the flac files from their original TrueHD or DTSHD-MA Sources (usually by ripping from a Blu Ray) they are decoded by the ripping software. What is in the flac files, therefore, is the already-decoded-for-you PCM, and there is no need to play them back "as" anything. Playing back these files "as" PCM will sound EXACTLY like playing the original discs and having the AVR do the decoding instead. In the end, the same bits go to the D/A.

The beauty of this is that even older AVRs will play PCM...so you can usually play those pre-decoded flac files on those old AVRs and have them sound like playing back the DTSHD/TrueHD discs with a newer AVR!

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page