Listening To Now In Surround - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6473Likes

post #3331 of 3484 Old 06-15-2019, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I've had the blue man group DVD for a while and haven't played it. I put it on tonight. Great sound quality. Really good album to fall asleep to.
SteveC356 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3484 Old 06-15-2019, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 3424
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
I've had the blue man group DVD for a while and haven't played it. I put it on tonight. Great sound quality. Really good album to fall asleep to.
Which one? There are several. I like Audio the best, the first. It's just percussion, iirc, while the others add rock bands and singers.

Spoiler!
post #3333 of 3484 Old 06-15-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Art Garfunkel: Breakaway (SACD 4.0)

excellent sounding disc, and still available for relatively cheap money. duttonvocalion produces some great sounding sacds.
kevin j, weekendtoy, GZAP1 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3334 of 3484 Old 06-15-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Low, very low notes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Attn: Subwoofers!
ETA: This found all the room modes.
This is a really nice organ music album, some rarely heard pieces and some very nice playing. The surround mix sounds excellent on my system.
Normally I upmix (I have 4 JBL SCS8 as tops) using Dolby Surround, but this album sounds best just straight, there is a ton of room reverb already in the surround mix, no need for more.

And Yes, this is a subwoofer tester extraordinaire!!! And a structural integrity test as well, the whole fricking house shakes. That is partially due to the primary sub, a 4x15" Infinite baffle that is part of the structure itself, and then augment with another sealed 18" 9' cubic foot 250lbs box sub in the rear of the room to balance room modes. So the low-end is very smooth, low-distortion and quite balanced, but oh my God, this recording has notes from a 32' pipe that change the pressure in the room.

It is also a torture test of the systems spectral range abilities, as it has massed chords across a huge swath of the frequency range, and the big MartinLogans really put out the sound with accuracy and authority (mine are all active and bi-amped).

This is now on my list of demo material for the system.

Jonathan
post #3335 of 3484 Old 06-15-2019, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
This is a really nice organ music album, some rarely heard pieces and some very nice playing. The surround mix sounds excellent on my system.
Normally I upmix (I have 4 JBL SCS8 as tops) using Dolby Surround, but this album sounds best just straight, there is a ton of room reverb already in the surround mix, no need for more.

And Yes, this is a subwoofer tester extraordinaire!!! And a structural integrity test as well, the whole fricking house shakes. That is partially due to the primary sub, a 4x15" Infinite baffle that is part of the structure itself, and then augment with another sealed 18" 9' cubic foot 250lbs box sub in the rear of the room to balance room modes. So the low-end is very smooth, low-distortion and quite balanced, but oh my God, this recording has notes from a 32' pipe that change the pressure in the room.

It is also a torture test of the systems spectral range abilities, as it has massed chords across a huge swath of the frequency range, and the big MartinLogans really put out the sound with accuracy and authority (mine are all active and bi-amped).

This is what I love about these forums...discovering new music and spending lots of money LOL. Ordered from Amazon!
captainbrent and drh3b like this.

Preet
My humble yet growing like weeds SACD collection
HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's Atmos, SVS SB16 Ultra
post #3336 of 3484 Old 06-15-2019, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 1305
Elton John: Tumbleweed Connection (SACD 5.1)

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #3337 of 3484 Old 06-15-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 24276
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
excellent sounding disc, and still available for relatively cheap money. duttonvocalion produces some great sounding sacds.
👍👍

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1.) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Aircom T-8, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #3338 of 3484 Old 06-16-2019, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 309
The Rolling Stones, et al. - Rock and Roll Circus, Dolby Atmos Blu-ray.
Morgan.
Tornado Red likes this.
post #3339 of 3484 Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
The Rolling Stones, et al. - Rock and Roll Circus, Dolby Atmos Blu-ray.
Morgan.
Your thoughts on the surround mix?

post #3340 of 3484 Old 06-17-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Your thoughts on the surround mix?

I just gave this another listen/look as the only descriptor that popped into my head in response to your question was, "Mild." I actually hadn't paid that much attention to the audio before, as I had watched it through the projector on Friday and more got caught-up in the spectacle of the thing and on Sunday, when I posted, I got distracted not too far in and wasn't really paying attention to most of it.
Definitely, a front focussed mix. Applause is occasionally noticeable from the surrounds, but that's about it. I switched a bit back-and-forth between Atmos (I have front and rear heights) and Dolby TrueHD (7.1) on several of the tracks and thought that the Atmos (always know I spelled that wrong when spellcheck doesn't highlight it ) enhanced the front soundstage in a desirable way, making it fuller.
The sound, in general, is not great or awful. Gets the point across. I was certainly happy enough to use your question as an excuse to throw it on for the third time in four days.
Morgan.
weekendtoy and RagtopFE like this.

Last edited by morgiastic; 06-17-2019 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Typo
post #3341 of 3484 Old 06-17-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Quote:
I just gave this another listen/look as the only descriptor that popped into my head in response to your question was, "Mild." I actually hadn't paid that much attention to the audio before, as I had watched it through the projector on Friday and more got caught-up in the spectacle of the thing and on Sunday, when I posted, I got distracted not too far in and wasn't really paying attention to most of it.
Definitely, a front focussed mix. Applause is occasionally noticeable from the surrounds, but that's about it. I switched a bit back-and-forth between Atmos (I have front and rear heights) and Dolby TrueHD (7.1) on several of the tracks and thought that the Atmos (always know I spelled that wrong when spellcheck doesn't highlight it ) enhanced the front soundstage in a desirable way, making it fuller.
The sound, in general, is not great or awful. Get's the point across. I was certainly happy enough to use your question as an excuse to throw it on for the third time in four days.
Morgan.

Do you turn it down when Yoko comes on or just give it a FF?
post #3342 of 3484 Old 06-17-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Do you turn it down when Yoko comes on or just give it a FF?
Just let it roll. Not a Yokohead or a Yoko hater. That part is a reasonably good jam, actually, substantial response from the crowd.
Morgan.
post #3343 of 3484 Old 06-17-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 3903
Roxy Music

Avalon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roxy Music - Avalon.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	2581296  
Bill Mac, JBaumgart, GZAP1 and 6 others like this.

Spoiler!
post #3344 of 3484 Old 06-17-2019, 11:11 PM

Roger Waters - Amused to Death, 5.1 SACD (AP). One of those albums I keep meaning to throw on. An album that never really did much for me in two channel, picked-up the CD at sometime in the '90s, listened to it like four times since then. The SACD has fared somewhat better, it just makes so much more sense in surround, a movie without the video. Not so sure about the Floyd surround remixes Jim Guthrie did, but he nailed this one.
Morgan.
post #3345 of 3484 Old 06-18-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2201 Post(s)
Liked: 3323
Quote:
Roger Waters - Amused to Death, 5.1 SACD (AP). One of those albums I keep meaning to throw on. An album that never really did much for me in two channel, picked-up the CD at sometime in the '90s, listened to it like four times since then. The SACD has fared somewhat better, it just makes so much more sense in surround, a movie without the video. Not so sure about the Floyd surround remixes Jim Guthrie did, but he nailed this one.
Morgan.
I would agree in that Amused To Death really never wowed me. The 5.1 mix really improves the listening experience. I also agree with you in regard to James Guthrie's Pink Floyd 5.1 mixes. I much prefer Andy Jackson's 5.1 mixes. Of all of the Pink Floyd multichannel mixes The Division Bell is the gold standard IMO. I listened to The Division Bell Blu-ray the other day and it's an incredible sounding 5.1 mix. I try to mix up the albums I listen to but The Division Bell gets pretty regular play.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3346 of 3484 Old 06-18-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Quote:
Just let it roll. Not a Yokohead or a Yoko hater. That part is a reasonably good jam, actually, substantial response from the crowd.
Morgan.
I guess they were just being polite.

Seriously, I’d rather turn my surround speakers into birdhouses than listen to Yoko in surround.
Andre Smith and Matt2026 like this.
post #3347 of 3484 Old 06-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I would agree in that Amused To Death really never wowed me. The 5.1 mix really improves the listening experience. I also agree with you in regard to James Guthrie's Pink Floyd 5.1 mixes. I much prefer Andy Jackson's 5.1 mixes. Of all of the Pink Floyd multichannel mixes The Division Bell is the gold standard IMO. I listened to The Division Bell Blu-ray the other day and it's an incredible sounding 5.1 mix. I try to mix up the albums I listen to but The Division Bell gets pretty regular play.

Bill

I doubt anything will ever replace Alan Parson's Quad Mix for Dark Side of the Moon for me, absolutely brilliant. Previous to hearing it DSOTM would probably rank as a distant third, as far a Pink Floyd albums go, but that Quad is the best. Having said that I'm not sure how many other Floyd multi-channel mixes I've actually heard, now that I think about it. I've listened the Guthrie's 5.1 mix for DSTOM a couple times, and that may be it. I knew there was one for Wish You Were Here, but I don't think I've heard it. I wasn't aware of the one for The Division Bell. I probably haven't heard that album since not too long after it first came out. Didn't do anything for me at the time. Might have a different opinion now.
Morgan.
post #3348 of 3484 Old 06-18-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
I guess they were just being polite.

Seriously, I’d rather turn my surround speakers into birdhouses than listen to Yoko in surround.
Not really much surround here, so you probably don't have to get out the tools just yet.
Hadn't really occurred to me before, but as you bring it up, a Yoko created surround music would be something to experience. But like an art instillation, something you check out and consider, not something you'd spend time with every day.
Morgan.
weekendtoy and ti-triodes like this.
post #3349 of 3484 Old 06-19-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Rock n Roll Circus is made up of live performances. The mix favors a live sound rather than ping pong effects. However the sound quality is really good and there is excellent separation between the instruments. You can pick out every person playing clearly. The image quality is remarkable too with bright color, natural grain and perfect contrast levels. It's exactly the sort of presentation you'd want for this show.

Yoko's vocals are mixed way down in the one song she screeches through. The blues riffs dominate and she is just a small part of it.
weekendtoy and ti-triodes like this.

Last edited by sworth; 06-19-2019 at 09:21 AM.
post #3350 of 3484 Old 06-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

I am listening to this disc tonight and really enjoying it! There are moments where I feel like my head is inside the organ and all of my insides are vibrating along with it!
JonFo likes this.

Preet
HT: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA 50, Anthem PVA 7, Oppo BDP-103, Sony HAP-Z1ES, PS3, Graham Slee ULDE, Graham Slee ERA Gold V, Pioneer PL 518 turntable
SP: Paradigm Studio 100's, CC 690, Studio 20's SR, Studio 20's Atmos, SVS SB16 Ultra
post #3351 of 3484 Old 06-20-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibels View Post
I am listening to this disc tonight and really enjoying it! There are moments where I feel like my head is inside the organ and all of my insides are vibrating along with it!
I think it would be great if they made a series of these, there must be plenty of orchestral music that would sound great transcribed to organ.

Spoiler!
post #3352 of 3484 Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoiler!
post #3353 of 3484 Old 06-20-2019, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Spoiler!
post #3354 of 3484 Old 06-21-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I think it would be great if they made a series of these, there must be plenty of orchestral music that would sound great transcribed to organ.
I agree, I have large classical SACD collection and there are definitely many titles that would be amazing in an organ series!!
drh3b likes this.

Preet
post #3355 of 3484 Old 06-21-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Toto IV 5.1 SACD
post #3356 of 3484 Old 06-21-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZAP1 View Post
Toto IV 5.1 SACD
"Africa" never sounded better than the mix on this disc!

Andre'
JonFo and SteveC356 like this.
post #3357 of 3484 Old 06-22-2019, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Eagles - Hotel California - SACD
Bob Dylan - Love and Theft - SACD
post #3358 of 3484 Old 06-23-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Beatles - Love - DVD-A
America - Homecoming - DVD-A
post #3359 of 3484 Old 06-23-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jimi...

post #3360 of 3484 Old 06-24-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Jimi...

Out of interest... How much are you guys paying for this states-side?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page