AVS Forum banner

Listening To Now In Surround

392K views 8K replies 201 participants last post by  Tornado Red 
#1 · (Edited)
Went back several pages and couldn't find a 'listening to' thread, so thought I'd start one. It'll be nice to hear what you are listening to now, it may encourage some of us blow the dust off of some music we haven't played for awhile, or better yet go out and make a purchase. ;) All formats are welcome, as long as it's in surround. And please feel free to include pictures, but that's not a necessity. I'll kick things off with a favourite at my place that gets lots of play, AF's America: Homecoming on SACD. Saw the boys live this past summer and they didn't disappoint! Soooo.... what are you listening to now??

EDIT: When this thread was started, I probably should have mentioned to not include stereo upmixing or anything created in a home environment from a mono or stereo source, but I did not. So now that the cat's out of the bag, it doesn't bother me if someone wants to post about listening to upmixed recordings. I will, however, ask that you please ensure that when doing so you quote that it is been upmixed from a lesser source on your own equipment so that those of us with a high interest in picking up more true surround projects don't go scurrying to Amazon to order what they thought was a bonifide surround project. Hope that's fair to everyone, happy listening!

EDIT: Streaming in surround from the various services is also welcome, just list the service, album or song, and 5.1, Atmos etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great idea for a thread :)! The thread title kind of confused me (not hard ;)). I thought "Fun" was a surround title or the name of a group. I'll be posting tomorrow in the morning as it's supposed to be a rainy day :).

Bill

Reactions: Tornado Red
#3 ·
Peter Gabriel - Play

I'm currently listening to: Peter Gabriel - Play on (PAL) DVD

I forgot I had this disc. And didn't realise until yesterday it offered multi-channel surround sound mixes encoded using DTS 96/24.

Some of the new mixes sound pretty good :)

#4 ·
I'm currently listening to: Peter Gabriel - Play on (PAL) DVD

I forgot I had this disc. And didn't realise until yesterday it offered multi-channel surround sound mixes encoded using DTS 96/24.

Some of the new mixes sound pretty good :)
I'm wondering if that's the same disc I have. I bought his Live in Athens 1987 blu ray and about 6 months after I got it, I discovered the dvd hidden behind the booklet inside with the MC videos, pretty cool discovery I thought! But then I thought, maybe I should have noticed it 6 months before that :rolleyes:

#6 ·
I've been busy spinning some multichannel discs yesterday and today :).

Yes' - Tales From Topographic Oceans (DVD-A) and Close to the Edge (Blu-ray)
Chicago - Quadio / Chicago III (Blu-ray)
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Tarkus (DVD-A)
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia (DVD-A)

Up next.......

Beck - Sea Change (SACD)
Roxy Music - Avalon (SACD)

Bill

#13 ·
Listening to the Jeff Beck Group quad mix off of the AF SACD. Very nice :)! Earlier I was playing America's Hearts quad mix also an AF SACD. Not sure if it's the recording quality or the music but I really didn't care for it.

Bill

#18 ·
Wow! Penn State beats Ohio.

OK, unto the other game Oklahoma/Texas Tech (I only have over-the-air)

My daughter Emma came down to the 'man cave' and we agreed to listen to Five For Fighting: Superman Song (SACD 5.1) and then followed up Crash Dummies: Supermans Song (CD) which exhausted my "SuperMan" songs.

To finish the game I had a sudden hankenered for some Bob: Tangled Up In Blue.

#20 ·
XTC's Skylarking which I received over the weekend.

And back to the Velvet Underground's Loaded for yet another spin. The multi-channel mix on Loaded is so clean and well-defined. It's easily in my top five of surround discs.

(I often why Loaded doesn't get more love on this forum, but I guess it's because you have to buy the box set to get the 5.1 DVD. And the price has moved up to well over a hundred bucks...and appears to be hard to acquire.)

#21 ·
It's the same reason that limited the 5.1 of Aqualung and Quadrophenia when they first came out, even though both are a lot more popular than Loaded. And it's not even close to being the most popular VU album which makes the lack of availability even more puzzling. If the 5.1 came out in a cheaper package, a lot of us would grab it in a second.

#33 ·
I gave a quick listen to the new 5.1 Skylarking. I like the surround mix, but I'm not fond of the overall sound of this album; it
sounds a little thin and harsh to me. I find myself listening at a lower volume than normal. It's been 20 years since I last listened to the album, but I imagine that's how original release sounds (perhaps a Todd Rundgren decision).

But I do like the songs on this album. If you're okay with the sound of the original, I'd say the 5.1 release is worth purchasing. And most other people seem to like the sound of this album; I may be in the minority.