Tales of Mystery and imagination - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 12-27-2016, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Question Tales of Mystery and imagination

Has anyone spent any time with this that can give as a critique or opinion? I am dying to know the verdict on this disk by Alan Parsons. Any opinions and advice in this new surround mix?

Thanks,
TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 12-27-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked: 3543
Below is a post (#250) from the Steve Hoffman forum that I posted on 12/7.

"The Tales 40th Anniversary Blu-ray came yesterday and I'm listening to the 5.1 mix in DTS-HD as I type. It's an excellent 5.1 mix with a very immersive quality to it. Without the ability to post or do DR numbers the mix has excellent dynamic range IMO. I have it cranked up and there is a nice range from quiet to loud passages. The track The Fall of the House of Usher - Arrival is playing and it sounds excellent. Well worth the wait and cost for this Blu-ray !"

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...bluray.522013/

Bill
ti-triodes likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 55 Old 12-28-2016, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Below is a post (#250) from the Steve Hoffman forum that I posted on 12/7.

"The Tales 40th Anniversary Blu-ray came yesterday and I'm listening to the 5.1 mix in DTS-HD as I type. It's an excellent 5.1 mix with a very immersive quality to it. Without the ability to post or do DR numbers the mix has excellent dynamic range IMO. I have it cranked up and there is a nice range from quiet to loud passages. The track The Fall of the House of Usher - Arrival is playing and it sounds excellent. Well worth the wait and cost for this Blu-ray !"

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...bluray.522013/

Bill
Thanks for the feedback Bill!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 12-28-2016, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 1776
I've waiting for Amazon.us to get this, but nothing yet. It is available at Amazon.ca for $25 shipped. Ordered!

https://www.amazon.ca/Tales-Mystery-...s=alan+parsons
captainbrent likes this.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #5 of 55 Old 12-28-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 463
I always thought this album was a lot of fun, like a goofy circus. Just ordered it from a third party at Amazon for $22. I wonder if it has the narration changes that were made to the last CD remastering?
captainbrent likes this.
post #6 of 55 Old 12-30-2016, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I have listened to both the 5.1 and the original stereo mix and prefer the Stereo. I find the high end to be lacking in the 5.1 mix. The cymbals are MIA on most of the 5.1 tracks but sound just as I remember them on the Stereo tracks. Does anyone else notice this? I suppose it was AP's choice but it sounds kind of flat.
post #7 of 55 Old 12-30-2016, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is the stereo mix different from the original (Orson Welles narration)? There are two different mixes out on CD.
post #8 of 55 Old 12-30-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
Is the stereo mix different from the original (Orson Welles narration)? There are two different mixes out on CD.
It is the original 1976 mix without the overdubs and narration.
post #9 of 55 Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I received this today and listened to the 5.1 mix. It's OK, but not spectacular. The first side is quite compressed and the mix on the drums is really dull. The cymbals sound crunchy and filtered. Steven Wilson does MUCH better with percussion than this. Lead vocals tend to be rolled off on the top a bit, especially compared to backup vocals. When I say compressed, I don't mean overall. There are loud and quiet parts. But the original mix had dynamic swells and spikes on drum hit, even in quiet passages, but this mix is evened out to being either quiet or loud. The rear channel has lots of fun stuff going on. In fact, the rear channel sounds more present than the front ones... especially the choirs and background vocals. The second side is a little more dynamic with all the orchestral stuff, but it seems that the orchestra was recorded in stereo. The only rear channel stuff going on during those passages is VERY heavy digital reverb. Occasionally the orchestra bunches up into a solid mass with no transparency. I'm guessing that's how it was recorded and they're stuck with it. It's been the same on every release I've heard. I did notice a couple of places where there seemed to be pitch variation along with dips in volume. Perhaps the master was damaged.

Generally, a good 5.1 mix will trounce the best stereo mix, but in this case it's just a little bit better. I think they spent more time finessing the stereo mix. Glad I got this, and maybe it's the best we'll ever get. But I can't help thinking it could be a little bit better.

Last edited by sworth; 01-10-2017 at 11:58 PM.
post #10 of 55 Old 01-18-2017, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
As an aside, the "original" was on vinyl, which I have, and had no narration by O.W. It wasn't until the CD came out that happened.

Just ordered the aniv edition from Amazon. Currently out of stock. Hopefully the get more soon.

If you can find it, On Air was available in DTS 5.1 some time ago. It is simply awesome!

John

edit: Sorry GZAP1. Just noticed your reply after I posted....
head_unit likes this.
post #11 of 55 Old 01-21-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They gave me a download code with this disc that I don't need. I don't know if it's stereo or multichannel though. Does anyone want it?
post #12 of 55 Old 01-22-2017, 03:00 AM

As an FYI, Amazon US claims they will be back in stock Jan. 25, for those interested.

I placed a preorder for it a few days ago, so hopefully it will arrive later this week or early the following week. I'm looking forward to listening to it.
post #13 of 55 Old 01-24-2017, 05:32 PM

Evidently back in stock. I received a shipping confirmation today.

John
post #14 of 55 Old 01-24-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1522
Got mine yesterday (ordered Dec.30). Nice 5.1 mix, very dynamic! This album reminds me of ones like Pink Floyd's Dark Side, it's not one I'll put on to play a cut or two. When I play it, I'll make sure I have the time to play it all the way through, it demands continuity
Bill Mac likes this.
post #15 of 55 Old 01-24-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Got mine yesterday (ordered Dec.30). Nice 5.1 mix, very dynamic! This album reminds me of ones like Pink Floyd's Dark Side, it's not one I'll put on to play a cut or two. When I play it, I'll make sure I have the time to play it all the way through, it demands continuity
I totally agree !

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #16 of 55 Old 01-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
I totally agree !

Bill
Hi Bill,
I have a MFSL gold CD version of this album and it sounds great. Since I have the stereo MFSL, is it worth buying the 5.1 mix?
post #17 of 55 Old 01-24-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
Hi Bill,
I have a MFSL gold CD version of this album and it sounds great. Since I have the stereo MFSL, is it worth buying the 5.1 mix?
Hi sharok,

If you have a surround setup definitely get the Tales Blu-ray for the 5.1 mix. I have the Tales MFSL Gold CD as well and it does sound great. But it's well worth buying the Blu-ray as the 5.1 mix is excellent. With the way Blu-ray Audio titles go OOP it's better to pay under $30 now opposed to much more later. A perfect example is Patricia Barber's Modern Cool Blu-ray. When Modern Cool first came out it was well under $20. Now it's OOP and quite expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Patricia-Barb.../dp/B00802EYDO

Bill

post #18 of 55 Old 01-25-2017, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi sharok,

If you have a surround setup definitely get the Tales Blu-ray for the 5.1 mix. I have the Tales MFSL Gold CD as well and it does sound great. But it's well worth buying the Blu-ray as the 5.1 mix is excellent. With the way Blu-ray Audio titles go OOP it's better to pay under $30 now opposed to much more later. A perfect example is Patricia Barber's Modern Cool Blu-ray. When Modern Cool first came out it was well under $20. Now it's OOP and quite expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Patricia-Barb.../dp/B00802EYDO

Bill
Thanks.
post #19 of 55 Old 01-25-2017, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
I've waiting for Amazon.us to get this, but nothing yet. It is available at Amazon.ca for $25 shipped. Ordered!

https://www.amazon.ca/Tales-Mystery-...s=alan+parsons
Amazon.ca is out of stock.
post #20 of 55 Old 01-26-2017, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
They gave me a download code with this disc that I don't need. I don't know if it's stereo or multichannel though. Does anyone want it?
Yes please, [PM me].

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #21 of 55 Old 01-26-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Yes please, [PM me].
Will do. It might take me a day or so to rustle it up and get it to the computer.
thehun likes this.
post #22 of 55 Old 01-27-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just PM'ed you the download code.

Last night I watched the Alan Parsons live concert from Columbia. The sound of the drums is a lot better on the live blu-ray than on the Tales remix. The performers were quite good, but it was weird to see a band where basically none of the principle people are still around. Parsons stood there looking like Wolfman Jack strumming on a guitar, and you could hear him playing in the mix, but he really didn't do much musically but sing a couple of songs (sort of). Worth getting though. I enjoyed it.
post #23 of 55 Old 01-28-2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:

Last night I watched the Alan Parsons live concert from Columbia.<snip>
Yeah, I picked that up a while back. I couldn't agree more on your assessment. I do enjoy it though and am glad I got it.

John
post #24 of 55 Old 01-28-2017, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
I received this today and listened to the 5.1 mix. It's OK, but not spectacular. The first side is quite compressed and the mix on the drums is really dull. The cymbals sound crunchy and filtered. Steven Wilson does MUCH better with percussion than this. Lead vocals tend to be rolled off on the top a bit, especially compared to backup vocals. When I say compressed, I don't mean overall. There are loud and quiet parts. But the original mix had dynamic swells and spikes on drum hit, even in quiet passages, but this mix is evened out to being either quiet or loud. The rear channel has lots of fun stuff going on. In fact, the rear channel sounds more present than the front ones... especially the choirs and background vocals. The second side is a little more dynamic with all the orchestral stuff, but it seems that the orchestra was recorded in stereo. The only rear channel stuff going on during those passages is VERY heavy digital reverb. Occasionally the orchestra bunches up into a solid mass with no transparency. I'm guessing that's how it was recorded and they're stuck with it. It's been the same on every release I've heard. I did notice a couple of places where there seemed to be pitch variation along with dips in volume. Perhaps the master was damaged.

Generally, a good 5.1 mix will trounce the best stereo mix, but in this case it's just a little bit better. I think they spent more time finessing the stereo mix. Glad I got this, and maybe it's the best we'll ever get. But I can't help thinking it could be a little bit better.
Thanks for the code. It was a 24/96 Wav stereo download. I haven't listened to the entire album yet, but just the first 3 cuts have what you observed on the drum kit's sound. Compressed and without punch, however I've never heard any other versions so I can't be sure, but it certainly sounded flat.
The download was one file with no individual tracks or track numbers, though there are obvious pauses between them and no cue sheet either. I wonder why is that, but I'm not complaining here. Thanks again Steve.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #25 of 55 Old 08-04-2018, 01:54 PM

For the few like me who were a little disappointed in this release try raising the center channel by 6db. For me it changed what I considered a 6 or 7 to a 9. I had the same issues with the 5.1 of Eye in the Sky that I had with Tales and the 6db center boost worked wonders there as well.
head_unit likes this.
post #26 of 55 Old 08-05-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are the drums in the center channel? I'll try it.
post #27 of 55 Old 03-14-2020, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZAP1 View Post
For the few like me who were a little disappointed in this release try raising the center channel by 6db. For me it changed what I considered a 6 or 7 to a 9. I had the same issues with the 5.1 of Eye in the Sky that I had with Tales and the 6db center boost worked wonders there as well.
Yes, I agree. It's because Alan does not believe in the center channel-he said so at a surround conference I attended.
post #28 of 55 Old 03-26-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I find this interesting. I listened to Tales Of Mystery And Imagination earlier today. I'm listening to Eye In The Sky now and don't find any need to boost the center channel volume at all. I'm experiencing an immersive SQ with the vocals dead center and at a level that's just right. I just checked the output of the center channel during the track Gemini. There is minimal ambient sound from the center channel. So I don't understand how raising the center channel 6dB can make much of a difference. I just tried raising the center channel volume 6dB during Silence and I and hardly noticed any difference at all. Maybe it's system dependent.

Bill

post #29 of 55 Old 03-26-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I find this interesting. I listened to Tales Of Mystery And Imagination earlier today. I'm listening to Eye In The Sky now and don't find any need to boost the center channel volume at all. I'm experiencing an immersive SQ with the vocals dead center and at a level that's just right. I just checked the output of the center channel during the track Gemini. There is minimal ambient sound from the center channel. So I don't understand how raising the center channel 6dB can make much of a difference. I just tried raising the center channel volume 6dB during Silence and I and hardly noticed any difference at all. Maybe it's system dependent.

Bill
It is most likely room dependent. I have no wall next to my right front speaker. I find it odd that Alan bothered to put anything in the Center at all if he was going to lower it's level to almost inaudible. He did the same on EITS. Would love to hear his reasoning on it. I have a friend who does have walls next to his fronts and he swears it sounds best at +9 for the center. So who knows what it is. Maybe nothing at all but my weird personal preference. Either way at least we can all enjoy it boost or not. If you listen to the original Album or CD the Drums & Cymbals had much more impact than on the 5.1.

Enjoy
Bill Mac likes this.
post #30 of 55 Old 03-26-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
It is most likely room dependent. I have no wall next to my right front speaker. I find it odd that Alan bothered to put anything in the Center at all if he was going to lower it's level to almost inaudible. He did the same on EITS. Would love to hear his reasoning on it. I have a friend who does have walls next to his fronts and he swears it sounds best at +9 for the center. So who knows what it is. Maybe nothing at all but my weird personal preference. Either way at least we can all enjoy it boost or not. If you listen to the original Album or CD the Drums & Cymbals had much more impact than on the 5.1.

Enjoy
Very well said! I have an odd room which is open on one side. My left front is 32" from the side wall and the right front is 56" to a partial sidewall but that opens to a woodstove hearth. I think Alan Parsons mixes are normally more quad than actually 5.1. So my guess is his mindset is to mix as if it was quad with any center channel content as an after thought.

Enjoy as well !

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page