Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts in 5.1 Coming May 2017 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #31 of 88 Old 04-13-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I just found out that the set includes both a blu-ray and a DVD of the multichannel mix. I think I might be able to pull the blu-ray out of the set and sell the rest at a reduced price and come close to getting what I want for the price that I want.
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 88 Old 04-16-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked: 3006
Inside Unheard 'Sgt. Pepper' Outtakes: Exclusive First Listen

Giles Martin takes us through alternate endings, different instrumentation and studio instructions on massive upcoming set

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...listen-w476067
post #33 of 88 Old 04-30-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Looks like this was an interesting presentation from Giles but unfortunately the musical examples had to be muted for copyright reasons:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...myIqr4KwGi3.97

The more I read about this the more excited I get.

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 88 Old 04-30-2017, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got a set that is very similar to this Sgt Pepper set... Frank Zappa's MOFO (Making of Freak Out). It's a four CD set covering one of the most innovative albums of all time. Freak Out was Zappa's debut record in 1965, it was the first rock "concept album:, and it was also the first rock double LP set. The Beatles cited it as a big influence on Sgt Pepper. The 4 CD set includes the original LP mix of Freak Out, which is quite different from the thinned out, digital reverb swamped version on the Ryko CD release. It has songs recorded but not included in the album, broken out mix elements, live versions, alternate takes and alternate approaches to songs, and clips from contemporary interviews where Zappa explains his process. All of it is amazing, and listening again to Freak Out showed me how forward thinking it really was. There are things in it that even the Beatles never approached.

There is a 2 CD version of the set at Amazon, or you can get the 4 CD version by mail order through the Zappa web site. It's worth getting both, because there are things on the two CD set that aren't on the 4 CD set. It's part of a series called "Project/Object" where they are going back to the original sessions tapes and releasing the original mixes and rare outtakes. These flew under my radar because they aren't called the same title as the LPs they represent... Lumpy Money is Lumpy Gravy / We're Only In It For The Money, Greasy Love Songs is Cruising With Ruben and the Jets, Meat Light is Uncle Meat, and Crux Of The Biscuit (Apostrophe). There are also a couple of live versions of Grand Wazoo (Zappa Wazoo and Imaginary Diseases). All well worth getting.

Last edited by sworth; 04-30-2017 at 09:49 AM.
post #35 of 88 Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
I just found out that the set includes both a blu-ray and a DVD of the multichannel mix.
Steve Guttenberg attended the 50th anniversary listening session in New York and wrote that the blu-ray includes an Atmos mix, but someone commented that Giles Martin mixed an Atmos release for theaters but not home use.

If the cnet article is correct, this would be the only music Atmos mix I'm aware of other than a few titles from www.2l.no

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex

Last edited by genesplitter; 05-05-2017 at 01:37 PM.
post #36 of 88 Old 05-05-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesplitter View Post
Steve Guttenberg attended the 50th anniversary listening session in New York and wrote that the blu-ray includes an Atmos mix, but someone commented that Giles Martin mixed an Atmos release for theaters but not home use.

If the cnet article is correct, this would be the only music Atmos mix I'm aware of other than a few titles from www.2l.no

Check the Kraftwerk thread. There's a BD box coming out soon in Atmos.
genesplitter likes this.
post #37 of 88 Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Review in... http://audiophilereview.com/audiophi...sound-mix.html

It doesn't sound like good news for folks who were hoping for a Love style mix.
post #38 of 88 Old 05-16-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
Thanks for the link.

Sounds good to me. The last thing I want is a Love mix, which sounded like it was created for a Vegas show- which it was. I want something tasteful that I will listen to many times. As long as it complements the album, not draws attention to itself, it will be worth the money.
Bill Mac and rdgrimes like this.
post #39 of 88 Old 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't believe in any particular mixing style being "appropriate" for everything. It's all contextual. For Roy Orbison's live concert, an anchored soundstage that mirrors the layout of the band in the club is perfect. But for Sgt Pepper, where there's lots of overdubbing and effects, I say pull out all the stops and go full Las Vegas. I thought the Love album was fantastic and I was disappointed with the 1+ mixes. I'm hoping that Strawberry Fields and A Day In The Life in this version are technicolor marvels of surround sound that take the experience to a whole new level, not a realistic presentation that simply complements the music. I have DSPs that can do that.

I'm buying this just for the 5.1 mix. If I end up not liking it, I'll just send the whole shebang back to Amazon for a refund. They're good about stuff like that.
Franchot likes this.
post #40 of 88 Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 3355
Quote:
I'm buying this just for the 5.1 mix. If I end up not liking it, I'll just send the whole shebang back to Amazon for a refund. They're good about stuff like that.
I didn't think anyplace took returns on opened music. You already have a feeling the 5.1 mix won't be to your liking. But you're going to order it anyhow then return it if your thoughts are confirmed. Wow.....

I have a copy of the Blu-ray coming from someone that just wants the other content. Not a huge fan of the Beatles but looking forward to getting this one.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #41 of 88 Old 05-16-2017, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, we've had two conflicting reports... One from someone who worked on the mix who said that the mix would be a lot more like the Love album. This review says different. I tend to think reviewers are better at writing than listening, so I'm hoping the former is correct. If not, back it goes. That is too much money to eat on a mix that doesn't suit me, especially since the only reason I'm buying it is for the 5.1 mix. Amazon can seal it back up and sell it again. I'll make sure it gets back in the same condition.
post #42 of 88 Old 05-17-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Amazon can seal it back up and sell it again. I'll make sure it gets back in the same condition.
I doubt Amazon resells opened music as new. If they do then that's not right.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #43 of 88 Old 05-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Not a huge fan of the Beatles but looking forward to getting this one.

Bill

Wash your mouth out with soap, that's my hometown band you're talking about lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #44 of 88 Old 05-17-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
Wash your mouth out with soap, that's my hometown band you're talking about lol.
ti-triodes and Airsculpture like this.

post #45 of 88 Old 05-17-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I doubt Amazon resells opened music as new. If they do then that's not right.
I never asked what they do with it, but perhaps they sell them through their warehouse deals. If I'm sending something back because of bad content, I always make sure it goes back in the exact same condition I received it. I've only had to do that for a CD once and a couple of blu-rays in the past. (You don't get quality by accepting mediocrity.) I know Giles Martin is capable of doing good work because the Love album is great, so I'll give it a chance.
Franchot likes this.
post #46 of 88 Old 05-25-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Amazon just shipped this. I'll have it tomorrow.
Franchot likes this.
post #47 of 88 Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 277
listening now to the surround mix. very clear sound. vocals are very forward in the front three speakers. only half way through it now. but so far its pretty good. I'm sure it will sound much better in my home theater. which is obviously set up better than my office is. so far fixing a hole and within you are the standouts.
seems much more opened up- which might put off some people as being too much in your face.

Last edited by thetman; 05-26-2017 at 12:05 PM.
post #48 of 88 Old 05-26-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't care for the construction of the packaging. The lenticular cover is on a flimsy slip, the fake album inside has pockets for the CDs and they don't sit straight and keep slipping out. The book is nice though. Have to wait to tonight to listen.
post #49 of 88 Old 05-26-2017, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After one listen in surround, this is pretty much what I was hoping for. I feel there was very good usage of the surrounds without having a gimmicky feel.

I agree with thetman in that it really opens it up. I also have to agree that I don't particularly care for the packaging. Several of the CDs were loose when I open it all up. As for the size I guess I'll have to store it with my albums.

The book looks really nice, but once again it is too bad that you can't just buy the surround recording by itself.
drh3b likes this.
post #50 of 88 Old 05-26-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 277
packaging doesn't bother me too much. all my discs were intact. but it would have been nice to have the option of buying a separate blu-ray version. Kind of a pain to have to take the discs out a huge album gatefold every time. same here- 5.1 is about what I expected. but it has a few surprises. like the end of good morning -paning nicely to the back surrounds leading into the next song was kinda cool. I wasn't expecting a steven wilson sound quality release ( it is 50 years old).
Yes very, very open sounding. some will find it too much I'm sure. surely not what we have been used to all these years.
post #51 of 88 Old 05-26-2017, 08:14 PM

The quality of the high-res BD-audio stuff is just amazing. More detail that I imagined might exist. Even the new stereo mix is a revelation, with instruments never heard before.
The hours and hours of bonus audio and video material is nice but the BD is where the sweet stuff is.
ti-triodes likes this.
post #52 of 88 Old 05-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Check out this episode of All Songs Considered. Giles Martin plays back-to-back selections from the original mono mix, the old stereo mix, and the new 2017 stereo mix. Basically he tried to recreate the sound (tape speed, phasing, etc) of the mono mixes but in stereo. He also boosted the lower frequencies (Ringo) more than is possible when mastering for vinyl. Listen to the podcast with headphones.

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs...oject-explains
post #53 of 88 Old 05-27-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I listened to the 5.1 mix last night, and I'm a little disappointed. The sound quality is fantastic, but it is VERY conservative in how it lays out the multichannel spread. I can understand following the mono mix for the stereo remix, but following it that closely for the multichannel mix doesn't't take advantage of what multichannel can do. 90% of the mix was front and center, very little rear channel action. There wasn't the technicolor contrasts in ambience like in the Love album. Everything played out with basically the same imaging of the band. I think an opportunity was missed here. In the making of documentary, someone points out that the original mono mix had more of a psychedelic feel than the original stereo one did. That should have been the other way around. And the 5.1 mix should have been even more psychedelic with immersive sound fields and rear channel placement. That didn't happen. I think perhaps Giles Martin was bolder when he had his father to work with. On Love they really explored new ways of mixing. In this one, it seems he was looking backwards to try to slavishly recreate old ways. I haven't listened to the CD mix yet. I'm betting I'll like that one better. The 5.1 mix felt like a stereo mix through big chunks of it.
post #54 of 88 Old 05-27-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1250
Giles Martin did a wonderful job on the 5.1 mix! Not an in your face mix, rather a well crafted mix that remains true to the original album but with detail and clarity I've never experienced before for the Sgt Pepper album, Strawberry Fields Forever (bonus single) , and Penny Lane (bonus single). The BD has 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, and 2.0 Stereo PCM tracks. My Denon 6200 reports that the 5.1 Dolby TrueHD audio is 6.1 Matrix with a Surround Back channel. I have a 5.1.4 setup so if there is a Back channel, I presume it gets mixed into the Side Surrounds. However, I'm guessing the Surround Back channel is a phantom channel with no audio content although I have no way to verify. I listened to the DTS 5.1 mix.

I still have the four CD's I'll eventually get around to listen too.
IronWaffle likes this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #55 of 88 Old 05-27-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Giles Martin did a wonderful job on the 5.1 mix!
+1. And given the nature of the original 4-track masters its a remarkable achievement. Those masters were never intended for anything other than a mono mix-down. The new stereo mix is equally impressive given that it also defies what the masters were created for.
IronWaffle likes this.
post #56 of 88 Old 05-27-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why is it that the mixes for Yellow Submarine and Love are so varied and really take advantage multichannel when they use the same four channel masters as 1+ and Sgt Pepper? I think there was an effort to keep the Sgt Pepper mix close to the mono. If they had to do that, I wish they had also done an alternate approach like Talking Heads' Burning Down the House which was mixed in two completely different ways on the Brick.
Franchot likes this.
post #57 of 88 Old 05-29-2017, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Gave the 5.1 mix a listen yesterday. I liked it overall but did feel the surrounds could have been used a little more. There was a lot of information in the surrounds but the way it was mixed it didn't stand out.

I also was having an issue when playing the DTS-HD track. Using a Marantz 8802A I tried switching too discrete dts-hd but for some reason even when switched it still was playing from all channels (heights and back). The Dolby HD track didn't have this issue and I actually preferred the Dolby as it seemed the highs were a bit smoother.

post #58 of 88 Old 05-29-2017, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Found it odd during ADITL that Ringo's drumming (which sounded bombastic) was in the Right Rear channel when I thought it should have been in the front.
post #59 of 88 Old 05-31-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was critical of the Sgt Pepper 5.1 mix and was ready to mark it off, but I read in an internet forum that the problem was that the front and rear are just out of calibration to each other. I boosted the rear channels +7dB and the mix filled out and became three dimensional. The fox hunt at the end of Good Morning crossed from front right to rear left perfectly. And the vocals were better balanced as well. (They were a little too prominent before.) I suspect that a +3dB boost of the LFE channel is needed too. In any case, the mix I was ready to write off just came to life. I have no idea how imbalances like this can happen, but now that I know, I can correct for it by altering the settings on my amp.
gillcup, ti-triodes and drh3b like this.
post #60 of 88 Old 06-01-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
For those interested and in available cities, there are a few Atmos listening parties at movie theaters tonight: https://www.gofobo.com/index.php/mai...0RvbGJ5QXRtb3M

Here's Dolby's video on the Atmos remix: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/editorial/pepper-day.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page