Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts in 5.1 Coming May 2017 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #61 of 88 Old 06-01-2017, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
I was critical of the Sgt Pepper 5.1 mix and was ready to mark it off, but I read in an internet forum that the problem was that the front and rear are just out of calibration to each other. I boosted the rear channels +7dB and the mix filled out and became three dimensional. The fox hunt at the end of Good Morning crossed from front right to rear left perfectly. And the vocals were better balanced as well. (They were a little too prominent before.) I suspect that a +3dB boost of the LFE channel is needed too. In any case, the mix I was ready to write off just came to life. I have no idea how imbalances like this can happen, but now that I know, I can correct for it by altering the settings on my amp.
I'm interested in learning more about this calibration mistake. Which forum would have more information about this?

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 06-01-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Home Theater Forum is where I heard about it. Several people will disappointed with the weak rear channels (including me) and were assuming that it was just a conservative mix. But someone said they had boosted their rear channels +6dB and it sounded much better. I tried that and he was right. I did some experimenting and found that I could get it to sound the best with +7db rears and +3 LFE. So far I've only tried it with the DTS track, not the Dolby one or the lossy track on the DVD. I don't know if they are similarly affected yet, but I will check when I get a chance. I've never had to do this with any other blu-ray. Very odd. If you have the box, give it a try and see what you think.

Last edited by sworth; 06-01-2017 at 12:48 PM.
post #63 of 88 Old 06-01-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesplitter View Post
I'm interested in learning more about this calibration mistake. Which forum would have more information about this?
Quadraphonicquad dot com would be the best place to go and get more information. This is where the surround sound experts live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 88 Old 06-01-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Someone over at Home Theater Forum tried the fix and agreed with me. Interestingly enough, when he played the bonus tracks (Abbey Lane and Strawberry Fields) they sounded better at default settings. That makes sense because those mixes were done for the 1+ bluray a year or so ago and there was nothing wrong with that one. I think there definitely is something wrong with the Sgt Pepper track. Tonight I'm going to check the Dolby and DVD versions and I'm going to try to do the correction subtractively, by reducing the mains rather than boosting the rears. I think that may work better.
post #65 of 88 Old 06-01-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Interestingly enough, when he played the bonus tracks (Abbey Lane and Strawberry Fields) they sounded better at default settings. That makes sense because those mixes were done for the 1+ bluray a year or so ago and there was nothing wrong with that one.
Did you mean Penny Lane?

Penny Lane is a brand new 2017 mix, not the 2015 1+. However, you're correct regarding Strawberry Fields Forever. That is a 2015 mix.
post #66 of 88 Old 06-01-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Someone over at Home Theater Forum tried the fix and agreed with me. Interestingly enough, when he played the bonus tracks (Abbey Lane and Strawberry Fields) they sounded better at default settings. That makes sense because those mixes were done for the 1+ bluray a year or so ago and there was nothing wrong with that one. I think there definitely is something wrong with the Sgt Pepper track. Tonight I'm going to check the Dolby and DVD versions and I'm going to try to do the correction subtractively, by reducing the mains rather than boosting the rears. I think that may work better.
Going to give this a try tomorrow.

post #67 of 88 Old 06-01-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
Did you mean Penny Lane? Penny Lane is a brand new 2017 mix, not the 2015 1+. However, you're correct regarding Strawberry Fields Forever. That is a 2015 mix.
Posting from work makes me Abbey-Addle brained. I haven't directly compared Penny Lane to the one on the 1+ disc, but it sure sounds about the same to me. When I'm done checking the other things, maybe I'll look into that.
post #68 of 88 Old 06-02-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I checked the Dolby mix last night. It needs the same level correction as the DTS. It works better to reduce the level of the mains, center and sub -7dB than it does to boost the rears. I haven't checked the lossy mix on the DVD yet or the singles.
post #69 of 88 Old 06-04-2017, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Strawberry Fields really are Forever
post #70 of 88 Old 06-04-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
Finally got a chance to give a good listen of the BD. Giles did a really nice job with the 5.1 mix. It's a bit bright, but it was a tasteful use of the surrounds. It must have been nerve wracking for him to tackle the most iconic rock album in history without pissing off at least a few people.
The BD stereo is astounding. I've heard Pepper 1000 times but never heard this level of detail before. I had to relisten on my headphones just to make sure I heard what I thought I heard.
Absolutely stunning.
post #71 of 88 Old 06-04-2017, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try listening to it again with the rears boosted 4 to 6dB or so. It's a MUCH better mix that way.
post #72 of 88 Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I listened to the blu-ray and agree with others, boosting the surround (or bringing down the other channels) sounds more immersive and better to me. I also noticed that my receiver shows DTS-MA 5.1 3/2/.1 but the Dolby TrueHD mix is 3/3/.1 Flag = MATRIX. I am bitstreaming the blu-ray from my Oppo BDP-95. Is the the Dolby TrueHD a 6.1 mix using matrixed surround left+right, an authoring mistake in the blu-ray, or a bug in my Marantz SR-5009?
IronWaffle and sworth like this.

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex
post #73 of 88 Old 06-14-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesplitter View Post
I listened to the blu-ray and agree with others, boosting the surround (or bringing down the other channels) sounds more immersive and better to me. I also noticed that my receiver shows DTS-MA 5.1 3/2/.1 but the Dolby TrueHD mix is 3/3/.1 Flag = MATRIX. I am bitstreaming the blu-ray from my Oppo BDP-95. Is the the Dolby TrueHD a 6.1 mix using matrixed surround left+right, an authoring mistake in the blu-ray, or a bug in my Marantz SR-5009?
Same. My Denon 6200 reports that the 5.1 Dolby TrueHD audio mix is 6.1 Matrix with a Surround Back channel. I have a 5.1.4 setup so if there is a Back channel, I presume it gets mixed into the Side Surrounds. However, I'm guessing the Surround Back channel is a phantom channel with no audio content although I have no way to verify.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #74 of 88 Old 06-20-2017, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
Quote:
Someone at HeadFi called "bigshot" said the same thing might have been him you're talking about he also lives in the LA area.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #75 of 88 Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Same. My Denon 6200 reports that the 5.1 Dolby TrueHD audio mix is 6.1 Matrix with a Surround Back channel. I have a 5.1.4 setup so if there is a Back channel, I presume it gets mixed into the Side Surrounds. However, I'm guessing the Surround Back channel is a phantom channel with no audio content although I have no way to verify.
My guess would be a flagging issue, as I really doubt there were 2 mixes. There is an Atmos mix but it was not included on any of the home releases.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #76 of 88 Old 06-26-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
Just a heads up if any of you guys haven't seen it yet. PBS has been showing a great documentary called "Sgt. Peppers Musical Revolution".
It breaks down many of the songs regarding which musical and personal experiences influenced them. It also shows what tricks were used to record them in terms of the limitations of recording technology of the 60's.
This documentary really should have been included in the box set.
post #77 of 88 Old 06-30-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
Just a heads up if any of you guys haven't seen it yet. PBS has been showing a great documentary called "Sgt. Peppers Musical Revolution".
It breaks down many of the songs regarding which musical and personal experiences influenced them. It also shows what tricks were used to record them in terms of the limitations of recording technology of the 60's.
This documentary really should have been included in the box set.
I recorded it when it first aired so I could skip over the lengthy, annoying pledge breaks. The documentary is fascinating at times. Highly recommended!

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #78 of 88 Old 06-30-2017, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Yes I watched it on the BBC, no commercials or pledges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlanAbby likes this.

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #79 of 88 Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just an annual license fee!
post #80 of 88 Old 07-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Small price to pay I would say for quality uninterrupted programmes

Even smaller when you are out of the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #81 of 88 Old 08-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Try listening to it again with the rears boosted 4 to 6dB or so. It's a MUCH better mix that way.
Is there a way to use software tools to then have a playback of this recording without needing to manually adjust your receiver to boost the back channels?
post #82 of 88 Old 08-01-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hendrix View Post
Is there a way to use software tools to then have a playback of this recording without needing to manually adjust your receiver to boost the back channels?
If you have a programmable remote, you might be able to set up a one button macro to make the adjustment. That is the only way I can think of. According to folks in another thread, they used to have trim controls on AVRs that would do it, but I don't think any models have that feature any more.

Last edited by sworth; 08-01-2017 at 02:12 PM.
post #83 of 88 Old 08-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I do have a programmable remote, but not sure if my Denon X2300 has that capability. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
post #84 of 88 Old 08-06-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
Check out this episode of All Songs Considered. Giles Martin plays back-to-back selections from the original mono mix, the old stereo mix, and the new 2017 stereo mix. Basically he tried to recreate the sound (tape speed, phasing, etc) of the mono mixes but in stereo. He also boosted the lower frequencies (Ringo) more than is possible when mastering for vinyl. Listen to the podcast with headphones.

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs...oject-explains
That was a very informative interview with Giles. Though he only really discusses the new stereo mix, it was interesting to hear the original mono, the original stereo (which apparently were done as afterthoughts) and the new stereo.

I will have to wait for the discs to be a bit cheaper before I purchase as I can't really justify the full boxed set.
post #85 of 88 Old 05-03-2019, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I can't believe that $120 for a box set of a single album and they did not include the " Ultimate Mix " in Dolby Atmos! The Beatles always bragged that they wanted the fans to get the best value for their money which is why Singles were never on Albums. I guess the philosophy has changed. I was disappointed with INXS Kick until I was able to take advantage of the ATMOS Mix. No longer disappointed! Wonder how much it will cost me to find out if the same can be said of Pepper?

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ts-dolby-atmos
post #86 of 88 Old 05-03-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZAP1 View Post
I can't believe that $120 for a box set of a single album and they did not include the " Ultimate Mix " in Dolby Atmos! The Beatles always bragged that they wanted the fans to get the best value for their money which is why Singles were never on Albums. I guess the philosophy has changed. I was disappointed with INXS Kick until I was able to take advantage of the ATMOS Mix. No longer disappointed! Wonder how much it will cost me to find out if the same can be said of Pepper?

This is a marketing travestity! Dolby could cement their music bonafides by working with Paul, Ringo, Olivia, Yoko, Capitol and Apple Records to release this to the fans. What a missed opportunity! <sigh>

post #87 of 88 Old 05-03-2019, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZAP1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
This is a marketing travestity! Dolby could cement their music bonafides by working with Paul, Ringo, Olivia, Yoko, Capitol and Apple Records to release this to the fans. What a missed opportunity! <sigh>
I have the Sgt. Pepper blu-ray and only listened to it once (it's not very compelling of a surround mix) and I don't even have Atmos and probably never will (unless I move out of my house which I probably never will), but this is a bummer for sure.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #88 of 88 Old 05-04-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think that Sgt Pepper is a better mix for immersive sound than the White Album. I think you need a specific kind of surround setup for that to work though. It falls apart if you aren't calibrated right or if your room isn't ideal. It didn't help that they released it out of calibration themselves. I have a few discs like that where you have to adjust the levels in some channels to get it to work properly.
mcallister likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page