Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts in 5.1 Coming May 2017 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #1 of 88 Old 04-05-2017, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts in 5.1 Coming May 2017

Of course, you have to buy EVERYTHING else in the box set to get it.

https://www.spincds.com/coming-soon/...deluxe-box-set

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Hopeful, but doubtful we'll see a stand-alone release of the 5.1 Blu ray. I want this, but there is SO MUCH in the box set that I DON'T WANT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 04-05-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked: 3003
A number of different versions are available, but it looks like the DVD and BD are only seen in the big 6-disc set.

https://thebeatlesstore.com/collecti...per-collection
ChromeJob likes this.
post #3 of 88 Old 04-05-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
This is a tough one. I'd love to just wait for a BD with the 5.1, but who knows with the Beatles? They march to their own very slow drums so it could be years before an individual BD is released. OTOH, how limited edition will the box be? The other "limited edition" boxes flooded the market for years.

Detailed info

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...eluxe-edition/

As of now, the cheapest US pre-order price is Bull Moose.

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/24990222/...dition-6-discs

Sure is purty, though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I guess the Pink Floyd franchise is tapped out. Time to milk the Beatles fans now. I'll sit this dance out.

It's like sitting down in a restaurant and ordering coffee and a piece of pie, and the waiter says, "You can get coffee and pie for free with our special four course dinner for $19.95." "All I want is coffee and pie." "That'll be $19.95."
Franchot and ChromeJob like this.

Last edited by sworth; 04-05-2017 at 07:26 PM.
post #5 of 88 Old 04-05-2017, 07:53 PM

http://sgtpepper.thebeatles.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The_Beatles_Cinemagraph.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	596.6 KB
ID:	2070393  
post #6 of 88 Old 04-06-2017, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 13281
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
I guess the Pink Floyd franchise is tapped out. Time to milk the Beatles fans now. I'll sit this dance out.

It's like sitting down in a restaurant and ordering coffee and a piece of pie, and the waiter says, "You can get coffee and pie for free with our special four course dinner for $19.95." "All I want is coffee and pie." "That'll be $19.95."
Aw, come on! 5.1 from 4 track tapes is worth it.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #7 of 88 Old 04-06-2017, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Day 1 purchase for me. Only live once.

post #8 of 88 Old 04-06-2017, 08:08 AM

Decidedly vague though on just what exactly is included in the way of "high res" audio mixes of the album. It appears that only the stereo mixes are "hi-res". . Still, I agree its a no brainer purchase.

Should I admit that I can remember the listening parties when this was released in 1967?
ChromeJob and leecreek like this.
post #9 of 88 Old 04-06-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Aw, come on! 5.1 from 4 track tapes is worth it.
Actually, you can get an idea of exactly how this is going to sound by listening to the Sgt Pepper 5.1 mixes on the 1+ blu-ray. Those videos were needle drop, so those are going to be the same mix as the new set. To me, those mixes are way too conservative, hewing so close to the mono balances that there isn't much 5.1 going on. This particular album is like circus music. It lends itself to lots of ping pong like on the Love album. But that isn't the approach they seem to be taking on the 1+ album, and I'm betting this set will be the same.
post #10 of 88 Old 04-06-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Actually, you can get an idea of exactly how this is going to sound by listening to the Sgt Pepper 5.1 mixes on the 1+ blu-ray. Those videos were needle drop, so those are going to be the same mix as the new set. To me, those mixes are way too conservative, hewing so close to the mono balances that there isn't much 5.1 going on. This particular album is like circus music. It lends itself to lots of ping pong like on the Love album. But that isn't the approach they seem to be taking on the 1+ album, and I'm betting this set will be the same.
All of which would be excellent news IMO. It supposed to be about the music, not ping pong. "Conservative" as you put it is showing respect for the art.
mcallister likes this.
post #11 of 88 Old 04-06-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
All of which would be excellent news IMO. It supposed to be about the music, not ping pong. "Conservative" as you put it is showing respect for the art.
It isn't at all disrespectful. It's describing a mixing technique. Albums that have lots of overdubbing, sound effects and inserted "mickey mousing" lend themselves to 5.1 mixes that favor different sounds coming from different directions. Examples of this would be Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour / Sgt Pepper. The Love album had lots of ping pong mixing and no one calls it disrespectful.

The other style of mixing for 5.1 is to create a sound field that simulates a live performance in dimensional space in front of you. Classical music, live jazz performances and acoustic instruments work best with this approach. The 1+ album used this approach for Penny Lane and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, and I don't think it was nearly as effective as the way these songs were handled on the Love album.

Sgt Pepper is an album full of fun contrasts and effects. It isn't mean to be presented as a live performance. That approach would work great for the Get Back sessions because they were intended to sound like a live performance, but Sgt Pepper wasn't. It was conceived from the beginning to be a psychedelic montage.
post #12 of 88 Old 04-06-2017, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you want to go full wack-a-doodle on this, you can get the Japanese SHM-CD set. It comes with a diorama that you can build. Show off to your friends, impress the ladies.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-78342

JA Fant likes this.
post #13 of 88 Old 04-06-2017, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Actually, a member at quadraphonicquad contacted the person who, along with Giles Martin, helmed this project's audio and here's his response:

Quote:
Just got a response to my tweet to Sam Okell mentioning that 1+ 5.1 was quite reserved and didn't seem to feature many discrete surround elements and would Peppers be more adventurous in surround and he replied with an emphatic "Yes!" so that's encouraging.

Also, while I'm not expert enough to write about it in detail, 1+ was not sourced from needledrops.

Source: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t

Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 Receiver | Oppo 203 4k Blu-Ray | Samsung 65JS850D UHDTV
PSB Imagine T2, C Centre & Imagine S Surround | SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) iTunes Server | Logitech Harmony Smart Control & Hub
Amazon Echo Dot | Samsung SmartThings Hub
post #14 of 88 Old 04-06-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post
Also, while I'm not expert enough to write about it in detail, 1+ was not sourced from needledrops.
The later videos were originally needle drops. The earlier videos from TV shows usually have live vocals over an instrumental track. The Sgt Pepper videos don't have any live sound. It's all miming to playback.

If you can ask the engineer, find out if Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields will be different 5.1 mixes than on 1+. It looks like they may just be stereo and the promo video with no new 5.1 mix.
post #15 of 88 Old 04-06-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
The later videos were originally needle drops. The earlier videos from TV shows usually have live vocals over an instrumental track. The Sgt Pepper videos don't have any live sound. It's all miming to playback.

If you can ask the engineer, find out if Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields will be different 5.1 mixes than on 1+. It looks like they may just be stereo and the promo video with no new 5.1 mix.

It's unclear about the Strawberry Fields 5.1 but Penny Lane appears to be new mixes both in stereo and 5.1.

As to contacting the engineer, the quoted post indicates he's on Twitter and may be responsive. I'm not on titter so I can't contact him.

Regarding needledrops, I'm not suited to online debates so we'll have to agree to disagree. That said, I did a LOT of reading leading up to and after getting that release and I'm confident of my stance. Operating strictly from memory, Martin and Okell created entirely new mixes for the CD. Those mixes were used for the videos. The only exceptions were a few early tracks (particularly She Loves You, which has missing source elements). This led to some anomalies (like a botched Eight Days a Week outro) on the stereo mixes. On the 5.1, the LOVE mix of A Day in the Life is missing some piano in the opening. That's what I remember. I think Words of Love (?) on the second disc is live, but i forget. Revolution and both Hey Jude's have live vocals over pre-recorded backing tracks. Revolution is mono, not sure about Jude. The earlier songs' 5.1 may have been made in a similar manner to how he did Criterion's Hard Day's Night mixes (an interview detailing that process is Googleable).

The 5.1 mixes themselves are definitely closer to "big stereo" than immersive surround than I'd like. Martin is on record that such was the intent and mandate for a mass market hits package. Take that with as large a grain of salt as you see fit. He's also on record saying he'd love to do an inventive mix of The White Album. I'm cautiously optimistic that this super deluxe release of Pepper is so "Beatlemaniac"-oriented that there won't be the tame 5.1 mix compromises or, on the Sessions outages, "Frankenstein" mixes of the Anthology and Let It Be...Naked releases. Either way, I voted my dollar and will find out in about two months.

post #16 of 88 Old 04-06-2017, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're misunderstanding me. I wasn't clear... Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields were needle drop soundtracks originally when they were first broadcast on TV. They did 5.1 mixes for 1+, but they are conservative. I'm hoping they will remix them again to have them match the ping pong approach the engineer says they took for Sgt Pepper. Since they aren't really a part of Sgt Pepper, they might just use the 1+ 5.1 mixes, which would be unfortunate. The descriptions I've read say that those two songs are included in the stereo remix, but it doesn't say it's part of the 5.1... only as a part of the promo video.
post #17 of 88 Old 04-07-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Apparently only one or 2 posters on this thread have read anything available on the set or how Sgt. Pepper was originally "assembled".
1. The Stereo and 5.1 remixes are not from 4-track or 2 track masters.
Abbey Road kept all of the multi-track tapes used for the bounces.
What bounces refers to is that due to the limitations of 4 track tape, the individual tracks were recorded to 4-track tape.
These 4-track tracks were then bounced to one or more tracks on the 4-track master.
This enabled all of the various instruments, vocals etc., to be contained on a single 4-track tape without over saturating it.
What was done with this set that hasn't been done prior was to take all of the original multi-track tapes and individually transfer them to whatever multi-track machine they have know.
I haven't found out how many tracks they are using but one would have to assume a 64-track deck or at least 48-track.
This potentially and more likely actually means removing multi-generations of tape over dubs\transfers and using the truly original 1st generation tapes directly.
2. The stereo and 5.1 mixes on the Blu-ray are 24/96 with the 5.1 in DTS-MA & Dolby TruHD. The DVD has 24/96 LPCM stereo. The 5.1 is DD & DTS lossy.
All of the video content on the Blu-ray was restored\transferred at 4k resolution and down-rezzed to 1080p.
3. The 5.1 mixes were done ala Love and not 1+.
4. The stereo mixes will finally be true stereo.

So whether or not you like Giles' and Sam's mixing and mastering is up to you.
Personally, this set has all the traits of being an outstanding definitive version of Sgt. Pepper that no one has heard before.
I went sideways and blew the farm on the Japanese set. I've ordered from CDJapan and other sites many times & the shipping for this set was really expensive.
This leads me to believe that the box is large and heavy.
I'm always a wait and see guy on the whole SHM thing. Some are demonstratively better, some marginally and others not at all.

The best price I've found so far as usual is importcds at ~$109. BullMoose is ~$120. Amazon last I looked was still ~$150 but seems likely to come down.
mcallister and IronWaffle like this.

This isn't Nam Smokey, there are rules here!
post #18 of 88 Old 04-07-2017, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 384
just drop some acid and listen to the version you already have...................
raiderphil, sworth and ChromeJob like this.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #19 of 88 Old 04-07-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Apparently only one or 2 posters on this thread have read anything available on the set or how Sgt. Pepper was originally "assembled".

1. The Stereo and 5.1 remixes are not from 4-track or 2 track masters.

Abbey Road kept all of the multi-track tapes used for the bounces.

What bounces refers to is that due to the limitations of 4 track tape, the individual tracks were recorded to 4-track tape.

These 4-track tracks were then bounced to one or more tracks on the 4-track master.

This enabled all of the various instruments, vocals etc., to be contained on a single 4-track tape without over saturating it.

What was done with this set that hasn't been done prior was to take all of the original multi-track tapes and individually transfer them to whatever multi-track machine they have know.

I haven't found out how many tracks they are using but one would have to assume a 64-track deck or at least 48-track.

This potentially and more likely actually means removing multi-generations of tape over dubs\transfers and using the truly original 1st generation tapes directly.

2. The stereo and 5.1 mixes on the Blu-ray are 24/96 with the 5.1 in DTS-MA & Dolby TruHD. The DVD has 24/96 LPCM stereo. The 5.1 is DD & DTS lossy.

All of the video content on the Blu-ray was restored\transferred at 4k resolution and down-rezzed to 1080p.

3. The 5.1 mixes were done ala Love and not 1+.

4. The stereo mixes will finally be true stereo.

So whether or not you like Giles' and Sam's mixing and mastering is up to you.

Personally, this set has all the traits of being an outstanding definitive version of Sgt. Pepper that no one has heard before.

I went sideways and blew the farm on the Japanese set. I've ordered from CDJapan and other sites many times & the shipping for this set was really expensive.

This leads me to believe that the box is large and heavy.

I'm always a wait and see guy on the whole SHM thing. Some are demonstratively better, some marginally and others not at all.

The best price I've found so far as usual is importcds at ~$109. BullMoose is ~$120. Amazon last I looked was still ~$150 but seems likely to come down.

Great post! Indeed, the pre-bounce hi-res stereo is what I'm most excited to listen to Day One and it was what I wanted to have confirmed first and foremost. Since I grew up on the stereo CD it will be the easiest to mentally discern nuances that may have been diminished in generational loss. That said, in the long run it is the 5.1 that I suspect will be my go-to, expecting it may offer an even more immersive and elucidating experience that may blow off the dust of over-familiarity.

Cynically and/or naïvely, I believe the high price point is a positive sign that this is aimed for the smaller "enthusiast" market and will thusly be less compromised than the 1+ mixes. Still, while disappointing, I've enjoyed those 5.1 mixes many times. It's good to be discerning but it's not good to let that get in the way of having a splendid time.
The Japanese Diorama SHM set looks marvelous! I've never delved into SHM, so I'm curious to hear folks' thoughts (a handful at stevehoffman.tv took the same plunge). And I won't lie, that package looks great. If I weren't all thumbs (and hadn't lucked into the Amazon.ca crazy low price that seems they'll honor) I'd be tempted. Okay, I'm still tempted.

post #20 of 88 Old 04-07-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post
Great post! Indeed, the pre-bounce hi-res stereo is what I'm most excited to listen to Day One and it was what I wanted to have confirmed first and foremost. Since I grew up on the stereo CD it will be the easiest to mentally discern nuances that may have been diminished in generational loss. That said, in the long run it is the 5.1 that I suspect will be my go-to, expecting it may offer an even more immersive and elucidating experience that may blow off the dust of over-familiarity.

Cynically and/or naïvely, I believe the high price point is a positive sign that this is aimed for the smaller "enthusiast" market and will thusly be less compromised than the 1+ mixes. Still, while disappointing, I've enjoyed those 5.1 mixes many times. It's good to be discerning but it's not good to let that get in the way of having a splendid time.
The Japanese Diorama SHM set looks marvelous! I've never delved into SHM, so I'm curious to hear folks' thoughts (a handful at stevehoffman.tv took the same plunge). And I won't lie, that package looks great. If I weren't all thumbs (and hadn't lucked into the Amazon.ca crazy low price that seems they'll honor) I'd be tempted. Okay, I'm still tempted.
The stereo mix was unraveled like the 5.1.
The 6 disc set went straight to #1 on Amazon's pre-order list.
I think the 6-disc set & this set collectively will sell a ton of copies, perhaps be the best-seller of the year.

BTW, there has been no mention of any of the sets being limited editions.
Apple made that fauxpas with the 2009 Remasters which of course caused epic hand wringing and of course was not true.
ChromeJob likes this.

This isn't Nam Smokey, there are rules here!
post #21 of 88 Old 04-07-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The problem is, if you are going to go back to the source elements, the taste of the person mixing is everything. The Rolling Stones remixes sound clean, but they don't sound like the original mix because they replaced 60s acoustic wire reverbs and slap backs (tape loop echo) with super smooth digital reverbs. They also replaced that distinctive 60s "telephone futz" equalization on the vocals with more natural sounding EQ. This resulted in a clean but less energetic sound.

There are a million places to go wrong in a Sgt Pepper remix. This is a case where the process had a lot to do with the way the album sounded. I'm sure there was a strategy how to prioritize the bounce downs. That analogue limitation surely affected the way the mix sounded. Just taking all the pieces and putting them back together while balancing the levels isn't going to get you the same album. That was proven with the Let It Be (Naked) CD. If you've heard the original Peter Sellers acetate of the Get Back sessions, you know that neither Let It Be nor Let It Be (Naked) sounded anything like the master the Beatles left behind on that album, even though Naked was billed as returning the album to the way it was intended. The mix can turn an apple into an orange, and trying to recreate 50 year old creative decisions is an exercise in futility.

I thought the mixes for Love and Yellow Submarine were a whole lot of fun because they stayed true to the feel and basic ideas behind the music without slavishly trying to rebuild the pyramids from scratch stone by stone. I think of them as alternatives to the original albums, not a replacement for them. Whenever I hear engineers talk about precisely replicating original creative choices on a mix, I cringe because they aren't qualified to do that sort of thing, and they don't have the principle creative artists in the studio with them to make those choices. With a different technology and different techniques, the Beatles probably would have made different creative choices. Sgt Pepper is what it is because of the circumstances that it was created under.

I have hopes that this follows the lead of Love because trying to reinvent the wheel is a waste of time. It's like trying to recreate the Mona Lisa using the same brushes, canvas and paint Leonardo used and carefully matching all the colors. It can look very much like the original without the cracks and yellowing of age, but it can't improve on it. I almost think it's better to just envision it as a new painting instead. Maybe the fans wouldn't allow that.
antisuck likes this.

Last edited by sworth; 04-07-2017 at 11:10 AM.
post #22 of 88 Old 04-07-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
The stereo mix was unraveled like the 5.1.
The 6 disc set went straight to #1 on Amazon's pre-order list.
I think the 6-disc set & this set collectively will sell a ton of copies, perhaps be the best-seller of the year.

BTW, there has been no mention of any of the sets being limited editions.
Apple made that fauxpas with the 2009 Remasters which of course caused epic hand wringing and of course was not true.
I've noticed the set's strong showing, too, and, like you, think it bodes well for doing superbly this year. I'm guessing a lot of these early sales are nutters/anoraks (like me!) and so the sales will slump some but with a televised documentary coming shortly and I'm sure a marketing push will keep the sales buoy bobbing. As you point out, it's also notable that this isn't a limited edition. By the time I bought the mono CD box set (used) it was already abundantly available but, yeah, many did feel rightly burned that it was re-pressed after being announced as limited. I think this'll help pay the heating bills at The Dakota and the lawncare at Friar Park for years to come.

Quote:
The problem is, if you are going to go back to the source elements, the taste of the person mixing is everything. The Rolling Stones remixes sound clean, but they don't sound like the original mix because they replaced 60s acoustic wire reverbs and slap backs (tape loop echo) with super smooth digital reverbs. They also replaced that distinctive 60s "telephone futz" equalization on the vocals with more natural sounding EQ. This resulted in a clean but less energetic sound.
Good points. George Harrison and John Lennon both favored the mono releases. Lennon apparently compared their mono albums (not Pepper specifically) as "ice cream" or somesuch. Online, it seems an even divide but the more "audiophile" and "historicist" fans prefer the mono because, as you point out, there's a more unified and "punchy" sound. Since my introduction was during the "it was twenty years ago" CD push in 1987, personally I'm partial to the stereo.

As to the digital artefacts and all, you're right. One of my favorite aspects of the mono CD set is that the original stereo Help! and Rubber Soul are available there in addition to the now-ubiquitous 1980s-reverb-drenched remixes by George Martin. Significant portions of the Anthology CDs are also futzed with (by Geoff Emerick, apparently) so I'm hoping that this set at least rectifies some of that with the 1966-1967 "sessions" material in this set.

Quote:
There are a million places to go wrong in a Sgt Pepper remix. This is a case where the process had a lot to do with the way the album sounded. I'm sure there was a strategy how to prioritize the bounce downs. That analogue limitation surely affected the way the mix sounded. Just taking all the pieces and putting them back together while balancing the levels isn't going to get you the same album. That was proven with the Let It Be (Naked) CD. If you've heard the original Peter Sellers acetate of the Get Back sessions, you know that neither Let It Be nor Let It Be (Naked) sounded anything like the master the Beatles left behind on that album, even though Naked was billed as returning the album to the way it was intended. The mix can turn an apple into an orange, and trying to recreate 50 year old creative decisions is an exercise in futility.
I haven't heard the Sellers stuff, but I've got A/B Road, which compiles an insane amount of those sessions, much from the Nagras. It's rough. Let It Be... Naked is very, uh, "shiny." I think it was the digital echo added at the end of that remix's "Across the Universe" that turned my brain off. Let It Be... Airbrushed. Still, even that set has its moments, and since it is differentiated from the core canon I don't mind at all beyond it being a missed opportunity.

What surprises me about at least the one/two disc versions of this upcoming release is that (unless I'm misremembering) they each have only the new stereo mix of the album proper. In and of itself, that's not a surprise, but that they didn't do a riff on the cover (maybe an alternate photo from that shoot or maybe a close-up of the drumhead or a group shot in costume) to differentiate it, much like Let It Be... Naked's ugly but clearly separate cover. Not sure I like the idea since over time it may become the "official" mix just like the 1980s Help! and Rubber Soul. Of course, if the mix is actually faithful to the mono but with some of the spaciousness and balance of the original stereo then I suppose it can be argued it is more in line with original intent. Beatle nuts need more to argue about so that should ensure their vitality for another generation of kooks.

Quote:
I thought the mixes for Love and Yellow Submarine were a whole lot of fun because they stayed true to the feel and basic ideas behind the music without slavishly trying to rebuild the pyramids from scratch stone by stone. I think of them as alternatives to the original albums, not a replacement for them. Whenever I hear engineers talk about precisely replicating original creative choices on a mix, I cringe because they aren't qualified to do that sort of thing, and they don't have the principle creative artists in the studio with them to make those choices. With a different technology and different techniques, the Beatles probably would have made different creative choices. Sgt Pepper is what it is because of the circumstances that it was created under.
I really like those mixes. YS benefits from the centering of vocals and more balanced spread of instruments (especially on headphones/earbuds, where I find much of the original stereo stuff uncomfortable listening). Some of the Love stuff is phenomenal, some pedestrian. ome natural, some shoehorned, and pretty thoroughly engaging. I have the Anthology DVD but have never watched it on my 7.1 system but I've read glowing reviews of those 5.1 mixes, incomplete though they are. Actually, I only watched them on a mono TV ages ago, so I can't even speak to the stereo mixes! I believe both may have been done by the same team as Yellow Submarine. Love, on the other hand was Giles Martin. As to artistic qualifications, that's not someplace I can delve. I mean, there's some serious sloppiness in the original mixes, too, and some artistic misdirection. The best that I hope for is a mix of deep knowledge of the material, feel for it, technical skill, among a small team that beyond competence, can debate where judgment calls need to be made.

Quote:
I have hopes that this follows the lead of Love because trying to reinvent the wheel is a waste of time. It's like trying to recreate the Mona Lisa using the same brushes, canvas and paint Leonardo used and carefully matching all the colors. It can look very much like the original without the cracks and yellowing of age, but it can't improve on it. I almost think it's better to just envision it as a new painting instead. Maybe the fans wouldn't allow that.
Art restoration is actually pretty complicated, too, and without it, quite a few masterpieces would be lost to time. That can mean more tampering than people think. Despite my disappointment in 1+ and my mixed feelings on their work on Criterion's Hard Day's Night, I trust them to do a fine job. I certainly don't expect them to do what a well meaning amateur did to "restore" the al fresco on the left with what you see on the right:

post #23 of 88 Old 04-07-2017, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 206
P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } I'm a bit skeptical about this one. I felt letdown by the 1+ Box. The video was fine but the 5.1 was not my cup of tea. I read somewhere that Giles simply put some mics in the back of Studio 3 and captured the sound of the room for each song and that was what he called 5.1. If the stereo is hi rez and well mixed I may get a lesser version just for that.
post #24 of 88 Old 04-08-2017, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 3351
Not much of a Beatles fan but would buy the Sgt. Peppers Blu-ray for the 5.1 mix if it was offered as a stand alone disc.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #25 of 88 Old 04-09-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wound up ordering it from ImportCD's. $103 with a $5 coupon they sent me. I'm still not 100% about getting it so it's easy to cancel.

Last edited by ti-triodes; 04-09-2017 at 03:07 PM.
post #26 of 88 Old 04-10-2017, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts in 5.1 Coming May 2017

Hrm, no mention of digital files (FLACs). Now that I have a receiver that plays that format, and software that will manage digital files of such high resolution and sync to devices, that's a major selling pt to me of something > US$50 for a single album.

I'm more than annoyed at the continuing money-grab of these releases. I was interested in the huge complete sets a few years ago, but the splitting of mono-mix and stereo-mix releases into two sets turned me away. Why should you have ot double-dip on more than a third of a set just so you can have everything. A "complete set" should not be a contradiction…. :-\

Still have my family's old LP (before they released with a "traveling" fox hunt on "Good Morning, Good Morning"). Maybe I'll spin that for old time's sake.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #27 of 88 Old 04-10-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Yet another expensive album aimed at the fan collectors market
ChromeJob likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #28 of 88 Old 04-12-2017, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am looking forward to this release, and hope that the 5.1 mix is more "Wild and crazy" than more like the original stereo presentation. If you are going to do a new 5.1 mix, why restrict yourself to an homage to the original stereo mix? Since there is no original released surround mix, all bets are off. It doesn't have to be maximum gimmick mode, but it should be good enough that you know your listening to a surround mix without straining and going "Oh wait, I hear something over there, I think!"

Besides, if we want to hear the stereo mix, we can listen to the stereo mix in various version from 1967 through the CD era to this new stereo remix. The the 5.1 ring!

[Early Adopter]
post #29 of 88 Old 04-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblio98 View Post
I am looking forward to this release, and hope that the 5.1 mix is more "Wild and crazy" than more like the original stereo presentation.
I think that is a given. I mean, how in the world else could Sgt. Pepper's be mixed for 5.1?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #30 of 88 Old 04-12-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If any album calls for "maximum gimmick mode", it's this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page