Xbox One - audio output questions - bitstream, PCM, Atmos, etc. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ergalthema
  • 1 Post By thehun
  • 1 Post By thehun

post #1 of 23 Old 08-10-2017, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Xbox One - audio output questions - bitstream, PCM, Atmos, etc.

I have a Xbox One S and an Onkyo TX-NR646. I recently purchased a Yes album mixed in surround. To get the uncompressed audio, it appears that I have to use PCM out of the Xbox. Otherwise, it would have to use DTS.

So, it seems like it would be best to keep my Xbox on PCM and let it do the decoding. However, in the next year, I'd like to add some Atmos speakers. If so, it seems like I would need to manually switch the Xbox audio output from PCM to bitstream when switching between an uncompressed surround mix and an Atmos mix. Is that correct?
Newbie789 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I have the same issue. My reciever shows pcm on Netflix when I have atmos set to on...also with atmos set to on my Amazon app has no sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 Old 09-09-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
I have a Xbox One S and an Onkyo TX-NR646. I recently purchased a Yes album mixed in surround. To get the uncompressed audio, it appears that I have to use PCM out of the Xbox. Otherwise, it would have to use DTS.

So, it seems like it would be best to keep my Xbox on PCM and let it do the decoding. However, in the next year, I'd like to add some Atmos speakers. If so, it seems like I would need to manually switch the Xbox audio output from PCM to bitstream when switching between an uncompressed surround mix and an Atmos mix. Is that correct?
Does the Xbox One S allows true bitsreaming now? I know at the launch of the product they screwed this up and they only allowed PCM and lossy decoded "bitsream" not actual pass through. A friend of mine bought one and immediately ran into this problem.
They promised a firmware update awhile back but not sure if they delivered on that. Did they? If the sound options for HDMI ouput remains "Dolby" "DTS" and "PCM" than they don't have real pass through which is essential for Atmos since the Xbox lacks the decoder.
Newbie789 likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-10-2017, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Xbox One - audio output questions - bitstream, PCM, Atmos, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Does the Xbox One S allows true bitsreaming now? I know at the launch of the product they screwed this up and they only allowed PCM and lossy decoded "bitsream" not actual pass through. A friend of mine bought one and immediately ran into this problem.

They promised a firmware update awhile back but not sure if they delivered on that. Did they? If the sound options for HDMI ouput remains "Dolby" "DTS" and "PCM" than they don't have real pass through which is essential for Atmos since the Xbox lacks the decoder.

When I downloaded the atmos app it gave the option to Bitstream wierd things happened (with atmos app installed, Bitstream turned on, and atmos turned on).

...so for blu ray discs my av processor shows atmos and works perfectly.
...For Netflix it shows pcm.
...For amazon video and many games I have no audio at all anymore

Initially the atmos app would output atmos audio content while watching the demo videos. After last week some sort of update occurred which make me re initialize all of my apps, sign into Netflix etc again, and ALL THE DOLBY ATMOS APP DEMO VIDEOS HAD NO AUDIO BUT THE APP ITSELF HAD THE SOUND EFFECTS WHEN STARTING AND CHOOSING THINGS.

post #5 of 23 Old 09-10-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
When I downloaded the atmos app it gave the option to Bitstream wierd things happened (with atmos app installed, Bitstream turned on, and atmos turned on).

Initially the atmos app would output atmos audio content while watching the demo videos. After last week some sort of update occurred which make me re initialize all of my apps, sign into Netflix etc again, and ALL THE DOLBY ATMOS APP DEMO VIDEOS HAD NO AUDIO BUT THE APP ITSELF HAD THE SOUND EFFECTS WHEN STARTING AND CHOOSING THINGS.

so it seems that they finally have the passthrough for Atmos, however for their built in streaming app something happened. While Netflix have a few titles in Atmos i Don't think Amazon supports Atmos yet, so it should output Dolby Digital + . I talked to a friend of mine who has the box and he told me that Atmos now works fine via UHD discs indeed, but he doesn't use the built in Netflix, or any other streaming apps. So my guess is that the the so called Atmos app on Xbox messed up something there with the other apps.
Newbie789 likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #6 of 23 Old 09-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
so it seems that they finally have the passthrough for Atmos, however for their built in streaming app something happened. While Netflix have a few titles in Atmos i Don't think Amazon supports Atmos yet, so it should output Dolby Digital + . I talked to a friend of mine who has the box and he told me that Atmos now works fine via UHD discs indeed, but he doesn't use the built in Netflix, or any other streaming apps. So my guess is that the the so called Atmos app on Xbox messed up something there with the other apps.

I agree. I'm just surprised there are not more posts on this.

post #7 of 23 Old 09-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

OK I think I have some progress on fixing the Amazon app sound issue

Apparently by changing the video output settings the audio problem gets resolved. I took screen shots of my current video settings and it seems to be working.

...still no fix for the dolby access app and my Amazon, vudu, Netflix etc are all putting put PCM audio not Bitstream with a codec.

Maybe if I keep playing with settings then the sound will be fixed

post #8 of 23 Old 11-04-2017, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had my one s set to bitstream and had Atmos on but now it set itself back to 7.1 uncompressed and won't allow me to go back to bitstream. I don't know what happened but it's not working anymore.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-05-2017, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I used to be able to have Ramos quality on non atmos content. Now it will not allow me to select bistream out anymore on my xbox one I need help. This hwk950 is becoming a headache
post #10 of 23 Old 11-05-2017, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I meant atmos not Ramos
post #11 of 23 Old 11-07-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clizzleof420 View Post
I used to be able to have Ramos quality on non atmos content. Now it will not allow me to select bistream out anymore on my xbox one I need help. This hwk950 is becoming a headache
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby james View Post
I had my one s set to bitstream and had Atmos on but now it set itself back to 7.1 uncompressed and won't allow me to go back to bitstream. I don't know what happened but it's not working anymore.
Are you playing a disc while you're trying to set the option?

My understanding is that you have to be actually playing a disc in order to be able to set the bitstream option for discs.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #12 of 23 Old 11-08-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
I have an older Xbox one and am currently in between Blu-Ray players. All I know is that the Xbox Blu-Ray player app is the most useless thing on the planet. Plus I can't seem to get more then 5.1 out of it. Oh well, it's only for a few days...

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #13 of 23 Old 12-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post

I have a similar problem, when watching Netflix on my One S, my Yamaha 1070 shows PCM but i still get atmos passthrough, it show up as "Atmos/pcm" on the receiver. When i watch a non-atmos show/movie on Netflix it shows up as PCM on my receiver and i cannot change it to anything else (ex. Dolby Surround, Neural X, etc.). thing is i didnt have this problem when i watched it through my old Onkyo 646. Was there a recent firmware update that caused this? or is it a set up thing? any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-06-2018, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This is a massive fail on microsofts behalf, now that Kodi is available on Xbox it really is unusable as the Xbox will not allow audio pass through. Kodi have linked this on their Facebook page so we can all vote to pass thru the audio for all apps and not just bluray.
I can't post the link yet but just go to Kodi's facebook page.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-08-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
Had this problem last night. I couldn't get DTS-MA 7.1 out of Jurassic World on Blu-ray. It would only give me 5.1 DTS and 7.1 DTS. I just played the movie on an LG Blu-ray instead. I wonder how to overcome this Xbox One S issue.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-10-2018, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
post #17 of 23 Old 03-11-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kmendez View Post
I have a similar problem, when watching Netflix on my One S, my Yamaha 1070 shows PCM but i still get atmos passthrough, it show up as "Atmos/pcm" on the receiver. When i watch a non-atmos show/movie on Netflix it shows up as PCM on my receiver and i cannot change it to anything else (ex. Dolby Surround, Neural X, etc.). thing is i didnt have this problem when i watched it through my old Onkyo 646. Was there a recent firmware update that caused this? or is it a set up thing? any suggestions would be appreciated.
Same issue here with my Yamaha RX-A2040. I get ATMOS/PCM on my receiver but the ATMOS speakers and subwoofer are turned off (weird). Have you had any success? I may just buy a blu ray player instead of using the Xbox for ATMOS viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F453C36-840F-4D01-9705-E85D6A8C6528.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	2373616  
post #18 of 23 Old 07-01-2018, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk7001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kmendez View Post
Same issue here with my Yamaha RX-A2040. I get ATMOS/PCM on my receiver but the ATMOS speakers and subwoofer are turned off (weird). Have you had any success? I may just buy a blu ray player instead of using the Xbox for ATMOS viewing.
Hi I have a rx-a2040 and have the exact same problem. Did you find a fix for it.

Ryan
post #19 of 23 Old 09-15-2018, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Just wanted to say that most of this works now.
What still doesn't work (and brought me here), if the One S is set to output Bitstream with Atmos Home Theatre enabled, DVDs with DTS still only get output as a PCM stream
And I talk here about good old DTS, not DTS-MA or some other fancy thing.

Netflix works absolutely fine with Atmos though, although the Xbox always outputs Atmos in Netflix, regardless if it is mixed in Atmos or just 2.1 or 5.1. Sounds well enough for me though, so I don't complain here.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-03-2020, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Help please. I can not get the Atmos to play out of my soundbar. Before I installed the Dolby app on the Xbox S, I had reg sound from my soundbar. But once app installed it is mute. But when I'm netflix (lost in space) i see the ATMOS logo before I play lost in space. So, I figure my setup is recognized \ ready to play atmos, but why does it stay mute.

Setup: vizio M65-E0, samsung k950, Xbox one S. Running HDMI from vizio ARC to sound bar ARC. Then from Xbox "hdmiOUT to tv" to sound bar HDMI 1. Am I doing that correctly?!

I know the sound bar plays atmos perfectly , cuz I see the blue atmos light when I play a dvd.

Any help, pls
post #21 of 23 Old 01-04-2020, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Send a message via Skype™ to patoberli
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesCosCee View Post
Help please. I can not get the Atmos to play out of my soundbar. Before I installed the Dolby app on the Xbox S, I had reg sound from my soundbar. But once app installed it is mute. But when I'm netflix (lost in space) i see the ATMOS logo before I play lost in space. So, I figure my setup is recognized \ ready to play atmos, but why does it stay mute.

Setup: vizio M65-E0, samsung k950, Xbox one S. Running HDMI from vizio ARC to sound bar ARC. Then from Xbox "hdmiOUT to tv" to sound bar HDMI 1. Am I doing that correctly?!

I know the sound bar plays atmos perfectly , cuz I see the blue atmos light when I play a dvd.

Any help, pls
First make sure that you have Bitstream enabled in the Xbox sound settings for the HDMI. Assuming you have that, start the Dolby Access App and listen to an Atmos demo. Do those work?
In my case, I'm running the Delta Updates channel and there I think is the Netflix App broken in regards to Atmos. My rear channels don't get a signal, not sure about the front ones.
post #22 of 23 Old 01-04-2020, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Quote:
Setup: vizio M65-E0, samsung k950, Xbox one S. Running HDMI from vizio ARC to sound bar ARC. Then from Xbox "hdmiOUT to tv" to sound bar HDMI 1.
Are you 100% sure that your Vizio M65-E0 television is actually able to bit-stream Atmos via HDMI ARC?

Quote:
The DVD specification does not support Dolby TrueHD audio format (with or without Atmos), it only supports good old fashioned Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM audio formats. So your comment makes no sense!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #23 of 23 Old 01-04-2020, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Are you 100% sure that your Vizio M65-E0 television is actually able to bit-stream Atmos via HDMI ARC?

The DVD specification does not support Dolby TrueHD audio format (with or without Atmos), it only supports good old fashioned Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM audio formats. So your comment makes no sense!

I should have been clear. I do not use Xbox for any dvd. When I use my OPPO , I have full DV & atmos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page