dts neo 6 vs dts neo:x vs dts neural:x - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-11-2017, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
dts neo 6 vs dts neo:x vs dts neural:x

I am confused with those formats. Can both dts neo:x vs dts neural:x can convert stereo to multichannel? If yes, what's the difference?

Thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2017, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Yes it can but neural x is more designed to convert 2ch or 5 channels movies to simulate atmos soundtrack for movies.

Personally, I like a lot listening 2 channel music with neo 6. Neo6 convert 2ch music to 5 channels.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked: 6282
Those three upmixers are just a progression of DTS surround processing, all of which can be applied to stereo and multi-channel source material. Neo:6, as the name implies, has up to 6 outputs: 3 fronts, 2 sides, 1 rear (normally played back through 2 speakers). This was replaced by Neo:X, which had 11 outputs: standard 7.1 + 2 wides + 2 heights. This was replaced by Neural:X, which upmixes all sources to DTS:X speaker layouts.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Is it ever possible to adjust the levels of the channels? My Yamaha stereo to 7.1 DSP allows me to adjust the volume of the center and rears, but it has no settings for the others.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-12-2017, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
Is it ever possible to adjust the levels of the channels? My Yamaha stereo to 7.1 DSP allows me to adjust the volume of the center and rears, but it has no settings for the others.
Not as such. If your AV processor allows you to make different speaker configurations or different level calibration configurations, you could make use of those to good effect.

In my case I have a speaker config with the 4 ceiling speakers deactivated, which also adds my customary 6 dB boost to the subwoofers just for stereo music use. It is married to an input with default upmixing as AnthemLogic Music, which normally outputs to all available speakers, but I don't like the heights for music. Just me. Rather than attenuate them I just turn them off.

If I were to use Neural:X or DSU for music, I'd apply different sets of level reductions in the surround speakers, and use those level presets in a separate input setup.

I hope this makes sense. In the end, it depends on your processor's flexibility.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #6 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I wish they let you fine tune the parameters of the DSP the way Yamaha lets you adjust their DSPs. Life would be a lot simpler.

At some point I'm going to jot down all the different settings in the Yamaha DSPs and see if anyone here can help define them. Some are self explanatory, but others have pretty technical titles. They don't have a "return to default" setting, so I'm hesitant to tweak them if I don't know what I'm tweaking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Surround Music Formats

Tags
Dts , neo , neutral

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page